Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Hardy Hibiscus--Hardier Than You Think: Just a Question ?Pink Hibiscus

Communities > Forums > Article: Hardy Hibiscus--Hardier Than You Think
bookmark
Forum: Article: Hardy Hibiscus--Hardier Than You ThinkReplies: 7, Views: 130
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SobeGardener
Miami Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 28, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #6332626

Just a Question ?

The name of the pink hibiscus on the picture with a hand right next to it?
I have one just like it and a picture also just like it.
Thanks,
Emily
Miami Beach,Florida

This message was edited Jul 25, 2009 1:37 PM

Thumbnail by SobeGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

catherine02116
Northbridge, MA

June 28, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #7926944

I think the photo of the hardy hibiscus is of a variety called "Luna Pink Swirl". I started some from seed last year. They were deliciously easy to germinate and grew quickly, blooming in the first year! If it is Luna Pink Swirl, they only grow to about 2 or 3 feet tall. Hope this helps.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

June 28, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7927227

I *think* the one I have, the one pictured in the article, is called something like "Southern Belle". It grows almost to 5 feet.

Lee Anne
SobeGardener
Miami Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 28, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #7928898

Woow..Thanks.! that was a long wait for great answers..
catherine02116 :Started from seed ?. where can i buy or trade some seeds? I'm no longer have it ..the long Florida winter did the trick this year.
Emily
discojim
Arlington, MA

June 28, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7929154

I'm pretty sure this is called "Disco Belle" I've been growing this plant for years. I purchased the seeds from either Parks or Burpee and this was the name in the catalogue. JIM
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

June 29, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #7929696

That's it!!

"Disco Belle"
catherine02116
Northbridge, MA

July 19, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #7980013

Hi Emily!
At this time of year I am generally out enjoying in my garden, so don't have many opportunities to read about gardening! I save that for January-March!

To answer your question about where I purchased the seed, I ordered it from Park Seed. The packets of 5 seeds are Labled Hibiscus Luna Pink Swirl Hybrid.

Here is a link:
http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/store/TextSearch?storeId=10101&SearchUnion=Y&CustSearchText=hibiscus%2C+luna+swirl+pink&x=5&y=10

Their photo makes the flower appear white, with a cranberry center. But mine is more of a pale baby pink, with the dark center. All 5 seeds germinated very quickly. I planted them in February of 2009, and they were in the garden by the first of May. They were heavily budded last year, and the flowers were magnificent! This year, the plants are about 2 feet tall, and 3 feet wide, and just came into bloom last week. I am in New England, outside Boston---officially zone 5, but have them planted in a Southern exposure that is probably a microclimate of Zone 6.

After the frost hit them last fall, I cut them back to about 6 inches from the ground, and planted spring blooming bulbs around it. After the bulbs had gone by for the season, the Hibiscus broke dormancy and the foliage grew to cover up the dying back foliage of the bulbs.

All in all, I am delighted with the plants...and so are 4 of my neighbors! Will definately order some more. I would like to plant some more, and so do my neighbors.

Happy Gardening, Catherine
SobeGardener
Miami Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 19, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #7980698

Thank You for all info.!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hardy Hibiscus--Hardier Than You Think Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good Article oriole 31 May 27, 2008 12:37 AM
HARDIER THAN YOU THINK rickhead 1 Feb 11, 2008 1:29 PM
I love them too! suefalls 2 Feb 12, 2008 4:13 AM
I think they are wonderful tina61 1 Feb 11, 2008 9:32 PM
Hardee Hibiscus karen_cajun 5 Jun 28, 2010 8:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America