Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Florida Gardening: Will Clematis Grow in South Florida?

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 30, Views: 252
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
toy747
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 29, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6333307

Absolutely!
Isn't this beautiful! Jeremy gave this to me 2 years ago.

Thumbnail by toy747
Click the image for an enlarged view.

toy747
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 29, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6333315

It's been blooming for 4 days. It has another bud. I can't wait.

Thumbnail by toy747

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #6333440

That's great.
Mine is coming back.
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6333463

Beautiful toy.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6333559

Absolutely lovely. : ) I have one like that if it hasn't died from all this drought, and me being gone all the time. I'll look tomorrow.
Kalpavriksha
Sarasota, FL

April 5, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #6367131

Let us know how it is in one year.
toy747
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 5, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6367511

It has been in the ground for over 2 years already.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 8, 2009
9:37 AM

Post #6381099

Toy,

I wish I had your luck - with the clematis. I have tried them more than once. Mine did great the first summer, came back weakly the second year and were gone in the third year.

I am sticking with native MG's, the lazy gardeners best bet>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #6383795

I am SO happy to see your Clematis doing well for you, toy!! Wow! A nice legacy of the Lowe's cull pack deals. I have the same or similar one flowering now -- I think it is 'Nelly Moser' (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/694/ - the Plant Files photos make it look darker - mine is really a very pale pinkish-purple with the darker streaks). Mine that is blooming came from Lowe's, but in a different deal. They had a large 'Nelly Moser' about 2 ft high and very full of leaves, but out of flower, on a trellis on the bargain rack last year - regular price about $15 but I think I only paid $2. I plopped it into the ground on the north side of some concrete blocks on the edge of my cacti and succulent garden. The concrete blocks provide shade for the roots, but the vines can crawl up into full sun (which is the recommended conditions for growing Clematis). It is doing really well this spring and I do hope it will hang in there for a few years as your clematis has.

I planted the last remaining struggling little pitiful clematis that I found abandoned and still in the 4 inch pot that it came in from the cull pack deals. I put it into the ground next to 'Nelly Moser' and it is also doing well. It is 'Celebration', but it hasn't bloomed yet. These are the only two Clematis that I've had any luck with so far, but Sidney (Sugarweed) has had one growing for several years.

Another recommendation is to plant the root crown about 2 inches deep rather than planting it at soil level as is done with most plants. I'm sure I forgot to do that, but mine are thriving anyway. I think it helped to start with a mature plant with the 'Nelly Moser'. The pangs and tribulations of being a seedling were already behind it

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #6383801

margaran in Jacksonville had about a dozen of the cull pack clematis doing well the first year in her garden. I've been meaning to check back with her to see if they returned in subsequent years.

Jeremy

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #6388323

My clematis I get last year and that I am growing in pots are doing well, not great but they look happier this year than last.

Thumbnail by wren107

mistressgardenr
Jacksonville, FL

April 10, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6389304

I just got some Clematis seed---need planting advice--sun/shade, depth, watering requirements etc. Any help will be appreciated

This is what they will look like. How long does it take for them to bloom once they come up?

Thumbnail by mistressgardenr

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2009
4:28 AM

Post #6390000

I've never grown Clematis from seed, but judging from the small plants in 4 inch containers that are the norm for Clematis and that are usually in bloom, they would probably bloom the first year on very small plants.

Jeremy
toy747
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 11, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6393782

Wren, that's a pretty one.
Jeremy, the one you gave me was not Nellie Moser. I will try and find the tag and let you know what is.
Linda, I have never tried Clematis from seed. Please let us know how I goes.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2009
6:27 AM

Post #6394508

Some of the Clematis cultivars in the cull pack deals were 'fireworks', 'Ernest Markham', 'Dr. Ruppel' and a few others.

That is a really wonderful color on your Clematis, Sandy. I hope I can figure out how to make them come back from year to year.

Jeremy

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6399120

Jeremy I did not do anything with them. They are in Large pots. I think they where keep some what dry. I did not feed them.

When I was over Tallahassee at the State gardens I took this picture and when I was at the Nursery they told me that the new form that they carried would grown here if planted in dapple shade. I am trying to find some dappled shade. LOL

Sandy

Thumbnail by wren107

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6399247

Beautiful, Sandy. I love Mountain Laurel! (Kalmia latifolia http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1201/) It grew wild in upstate NY at an estate garden I was tending in a former life. It would be great if there is a new cultivar that would grow here.

Jeremy

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #6399290

There is!!!! Tallahassee nursery has some. I just do not have the shade area for one yet, working on it. LOL

Sandy
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6399446

I have LOTS of dappled shade! If you head back to Tallahassee, let me know. I would definitely like to have a Mountain Laurel that is suitable for our climate.

Jeremy
sandyinthegarden
Port Charlotte, FL

April 12, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6399668

This crazy south Florida gardener has a Kalmia!! Just got it last month. Gave it very special treatment. It is a dwarf , variety is "elf". It prefers consistently moist soil but well draining on the acid side and cool roots. Not easy in this neck of the woods. I dug a hole big enough for a 3 gallon pot (it was in a 3 in pot) put nice peaty potting soil in a pot and buried the pot up to the rim. I left room for two inches of oak leaves on top. I water it with alternating pond water and tap with the granuals dissolved in it that you put on hydrangeas to change the color, diluted of course. If it grows well and needs repotting later...I wont disturb it too much by lifting the pot out. Or if it starts burning up in the summer I can wisk it to safety and regroup. Wish me luck and yes this is just one of my "up north" plants that I like to challenge myself with. It already has 2 inches of brand new growth on every tip so ...so far so good.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6399708

Jeremy will do-it was $12 for a nice size pot.(about 1 1/2 to 2 feet)
Sandy

Thumbnail by wren107

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #6399726

Just found this site that has the more heat tolerant Kalmia latifolia http://208.112.41.251/PlantsDetail.cfm?offset=251&ID=813

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6399747

Also found these sites for Kalmia latifolia
I have ordered from this site http://www.bigdipperfarm.com/cgi-bin/searchstuff.pl?Botanical=Kalmia

http://www.mailordernatives.com/servlet/Categories
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #6399792

Great, Sandy. If I can ever work out my schedule of urgent tasks, I would love to go along for a Tallahassee nursery raid. Maybe we can get the north Florida DGers and anyone else interested to form a caravan/convoy. $12 is a great price for the heat-tolerant Mountain Laurel!

Sandy in the garden: Sounds like you are giving your Mountain Laurel a good foundation on which to grow! You may also want to add some coffee grounds to your Mountain Laurel soil mixture (sprinkling coffee grounds about 1/2 inch on top of the soil and gently working the coffee grounds into the top few inches is a good application method). The coffee grounds will promote a rich, organic humus soil, will attract earthworms and promote microorganisms that contribute to healthy plant growth, and will very gradually make the soil slightly more acid. You can get 5 lb bags of coffee grounds from Starbucks for free, or just use your own coffee grounds from your kitchen. The coffee grounds can be applied once a month or even more frequently if you have a steady source of coffee grounds and the time to add them to your Mountain Laurel soil.

Jeremy

This message was edited Apr 12, 2009 1:49 PM
Darlacooper
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2009
11:00 PM

Post #6400699

Did someone say "road trip"? If Y'all do go and I'm not out of town or something I'd like to go!

Darla

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6401062

Ok Let me know when y'all would like to go. I could carry two people or could carry a lot of plants for every one as I have a Quest. It would have to be after the second Wed of the mouth.
There are 3 nurseries over there.
Tallahassee nursery-a huge nursery with a very wide range of plants. I would say that the nursery is over 50 acres
http://www.tallahasseenurseries.com/
This nursery is very close to Tallahassee Nursery very nice wide range of plants and other things
http://members.tripod.com/~arguelles/NativeNurseries.html
This nursery is below Tallahassee great fruit trees for Florida and also other plants all nice. Close enough to be included
http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/

Sandy
Darlacooper
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6401244

Well for April I'm good except for the 22nd, may I'm good so far.

Darla

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #6401255

It would have to be next month or June as I am out of money. LOL spent 300 dollars. LOL
Darlacooper
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6401275

In June I'm out of town the 16th - 20th
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #6401295

I love JF& E.I've bought several nice plants from them. My most special was a lime that breaks open into jewels to sprinkle onto salads or ice cream. It's all the rage among Foodies. It's called Finger Lime.

Maggie
Maggie

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6401307

How about in May, they will have a lot of spring and summer flowers then. Oh they do carry orchids.

When I was over there they said that the water plants would be in by next month.

Thumbnail by wren107

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America