AuthorContent

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2009
10:43 AM

Post #6334493

I grow both every year as well... they are great!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

March 29, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #6334656

I love both of them as well. I always have to plant pansies in memory of my dear grandmother, whose name was Pansy. She always had these flowers she was named for, as well as tulips, daffs, hyacinths, pinks and Sweet Williams, phlox and morning glories planted to climb the clothesline poles.

Good article.
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #6335895

Me too! Right now, a 3 year old clump of white with yellow centered primrose is happily blooming next to an ever-enlarging group of crocus. Soon I will be adding pansies to the same area to enjoy until the hot and dry weather slows them down. I also have a new-to-me variety of ruffled pansies that I Winter Sowed hopefully sitting out in the weather, soon to come up when we get some warm, spring sunshine. Both primrose and pansies have become real favorites of mine!

Thanks for the fun article!
Linda

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #6336194

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, and for reading!
Sally
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8419993

Pansies over primroses any day for me.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8420051

Thanks for reading! I find pansies easier for me, FWIW.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8420089

For me, primroses are squatty little plants, pretty the first season, then rather boring. They turn ratty after blooming. Although I am certain I've purchased multiple colors (can't resist those early blooms at the grocery store), they all eventually end up with small dark purple blooms for me. I've banished them all to a shaded area below a bay window and they can either live or die at their option. Perhaps I would like them better if I treated them as annuals and just dug them out after their peak.

Pansies, on the other hand, I love. They are cheerful and bloom from spring to fall and sometimes into winter in my area. Many will reseed themselves. They seem to have a much jollier personality. (For me, I know there are primrose fans out there as well.)
GardeningNC
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8420371

Here I find that planting Pansies in early fall works best, as noted they are heat sensitive. Though I find it funny that the box stores put out pansies now too... though you plant them now and have to pull them up in a few months, much more worth while for me to plant in fall and enjoy them longer. I need to try primroses, as noted I also have thought of them as more 'prim' and proper than my garden :-)

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8420807

I don't pull mine out.. just cut them back... they bloom again in fall
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8420953

I've never had primroses, but I like them. Unfortunately, the deer and bunnies (abundant here in our woods) enjoyed the pansies I dared to plant once. They even sampled the fake ones I put out the next year, lol!
I'm off to check the deer resistance of primroses, but if anyone has experience to share, please chime in!

Okay, according to the site I checked, primroses are not as delicious as pansies, so I may have to try them this year! I'll try to remember to post the results later. :)

This message was edited Mar 11, 2011 8:00 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8421887

I do the fall/ winter pansies also. My favortie spot is a hot spot in my yard so 1, the pansies get lots of time to bloom and 2, I see them becasue its next to the driveway. So in that spot, they just fry by July (May to June really but July rhymed so nicely...) But last year I did put some pansies in a cool spot. While they didn't do much thru winter of course, they lived much longer come spring and summer.
GardeningNC I agree that I don't like to use 'temporary' plants, planned destruction and max prettiness- it just seems insensitive to the poor plants!
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8422284

I also plant pansies in a large pot near the back door in the spring as soon as they are on sale here. They bloom and bloom until the weather here gets very hot, and then they slow down a bit until the fall, when they pick back up again. Mine from last year even live through the winter in that pot but die out about the time I buy the new ones. Pansies are annuals, are they not? My back door area gets morning sun but is in the shade by afternoon. It really works well planting them in the large pot - three plants to the pot - and I enjoy the color.

Linda

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8422376

Yes pansies are annual. Cold tolerance means the cold does not kill them the way it would kill petunias, rather they die of 'old age' or exhaustion after making what they feel is enough seeds.
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8422777

That is what I thought, sallyg. Mine always live through the winter in the large pot, just to die off in spring. They probably are at one year old at that point.

I need to start looking around for pansies at the local garden centers soon.

Linda

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Primrose versus pansy; my March madness Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lettuce leaves? carrielamont 2 Mar 29, 2009 7:13 PM
Shriveled Primrose Colibritaquin 1 Mar 30, 2009 1:26 PM
hardiness of varieties linnea56 5 Apr 4, 2009 5:28 PM
Panzies... 78028 1 Mar 14, 2011 3:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America