Photo by Melody

Greenhouse: Can we tour your greenhouse?

Communities > Forums > Greenhouse
bookmark
Forum: GreenhouseReplies: 480, Views: 12,587
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

March 29, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #6337096

I thought it might be cool to start a thread that would allow us to 'tour' each others' greenhouses. I find this helpful sometimes for getting new ideas for things to do as new projects in mine. Sometimes when you see what other people do it gives you ideas. Size does not matter. Purpose does not matter. After all, this is to share new ideas.

So I'd like to start by giving a small history of my greenhouse and how it came to be in my possession, LOL.

I started collecting plants in California in the late 1980's and early 1990's. I had a lot of cool cacti, succulents, etc and some tropicals. I had tropical water lilies and cool things. But we had to leave it all behind, mostly, when we moved to FL in 1992. I was able to bring a few things, but mostly had to restart 'collecting' when I got here. I ditched cacti and succulents and started collecting tropical plants, mainly heliconias and tropical gingers, bromeliad, plumerias and orchids. I met a friend who has a 2000 sq ft greenhouse and we shared many plants. I started going to trades and to sales at gardens and collected even more.

It started to get a bit 'cramped' in the house especially in winter when I had to drag everyone in the house. We decided to move from the house we had in town to outside the city limits in December 2001. By that time I had a HUGE collection of all kinds of tropical plants. We had the plans for the present greenhouse all done and in the works before we ever got to the house. Construction started almost immediately in March 2002. My friend helped me move all my collection over. We had a UHaul truck and it took all day and 5 packed loads to bring everything over. After the greenhouse was finished I planted most all of my things inside of it, into the ground.

The greenhouse has undergone a lot of changes over the years. My focus has moved away from heliconias (I had over 40 different specimens) and gingers to palms, orchids, hoyas, and all types of aroids. But I also have ferns, calatheas, tropical vines, begonias and many other things.

March/April is the time when I 'open' the greenhouse every year. Starting tomorrow I will be taking out all the 'winter boarders' and repotting them, fertilizing them, and setting them into the yard in their various places to serve as accent plants for what is planted outside. I will also be dividing plants in the greenhouse to trade and to plant out as annuals, cleaning up and grooming everything, fertilizing, etc. I also take a new set of photos every year to see how things have grown.

Here are a few photos from today. First, I'd like to introduce myself. Many people are scared to put their photos on the web, But gee whiz, this is a GARDEN site. I don;t think its dangerous. So this is me.

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

March 29, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #6337105

Here is a photo of what you see as soon as you open the sliding door on the side of the greenhouse...the Strongolydon macrobotrys (Emerald Creeper; Green Jade Vine) is in bloom and its blooming PROFUSELY.

Thumbnail by gothqueen

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

March 29, 2009
10:38 PM

Post #6337118

When you step in, you can look across the way, through the Jade Vines, the Epipremnums and hoyas that drape down, and see a palm called Salacca magnifica. This is a huge 'entire leaf' palm that currently has fronds about 10 ft long. At maturity, the fronds will reach 20 ft in length. The palm in front of that is a Licuala grandis

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 6:39 PM

Thumbnail by gothqueen

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

March 29, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #6337128

If you were to go in the door and turn left, you would see a rather rare palm called Dypsis pembana, or Pemba Palm. Its a graceful and lovely pinnate (feather) palm.

Thumbnail by gothqueen

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

March 29, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6337141

So, that's the start of the tour. Please, let's tour YOUR greenhouse. Please feel free to add to this thread.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

March 29, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6337421

OMG!! How big is that greenhouse? It's like a beautiful jungle in there...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #6337599

Oh gosh. You've got to do a link on the Tropical Plants, they will just...die!

Christi
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

March 30, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #6337640

I don't know how to do that, Christi. Threegardens, its a little over 1700 sq ft

Let's say you go in the door and pass the Pemba palm. Then you would see this...a Ruffle Palm about 8 ft tall. There are some hanging plants around it, this time of year, the yellow nobile dendrobium just happens to be in full bloom. This palm grows beside a 20 ft stream

Thumbnail by gothqueen

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6337649

LOL, that is bigger than my house.
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

March 30, 2009

Post #6337650

Here's a close up of the orchids, I don;t have its name (anymore) but its one of my favorite specimen plants, I've had it for years. The vine with the roundish leaves that is going haywire everywhere is a Hoya obovata. The Philodendron climbing the wall to the left is one of my younger specimens of the one called Philodendron "imbe" variegated. I don't believe that's its correct name.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 8:23 PM

Thumbnail by gothqueen

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6337664

I'm going to try queen.
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

March 30, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6337889

Here is mine, as long as I have the old external hard drive out and running...

Thumbnail by stressbaby

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

March 30, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6337905

please take us inside!
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

March 30, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #6337941

DG really didn't like that last picture... we'll try again with this one.

Thumbnail by stressbaby

stressbaby
Fulton, MO

March 30, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6337977

The last pic containes Musa DC, Passionfruit, Satsuma and other citrus, papaya, lychee, breynia.

My real interest is in tropical fruit. When did you ever see a Missouri grown papaya?

Thumbnail by stressbaby

stressbaby
Fulton, MO

March 30, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #6338003

This is the other aisle, which has Carambola, Plumeria obtusa, papaya, some kind of variegated Tradescantia I think, Jaboticaba, and a sad little Wrightia religiosa that looks like it needed some water!

Thumbnail by stressbaby

RachelLF

RachelLF

March 30, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6338016

Goth. I had NO doubt in my mind just how lovely your place is;-) Your collection of tropical's is so admirable from the few that I have viewed in the short amount of time I have been a member to this site.

Keep posting pic's of individual plant's that live with you when you have time or want to. May I make a request? Philodendron's and especially the Foliage piece's of Anthurium's that you have.

Thank's much

Rachel

stressbaby
Fulton, MO

March 30, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #6338065

Last one, this is a closeup of one of my favorite plants, C. 'Candy Cane'

Thumbnail by stressbaby

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6338133

Oh, baby, that is one I will have to chase down for myself. So beautiful.

Christi
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6338324

That is an amazing bloom ... and house - you both have incredible houses. Just lovely - all you need is some parrots flying around. Okay, maybe a mobile.

No, you don't get to see my hoop house with the little tables of tomato starts!!! Not after those wild tropical houses!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #6338460

PCat, I'll take pics tomorrow, you'll feel better. I have little bitty plants in my little bitty house. Most of mine are for eating, my favorite thing :D
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

March 30, 2009
11:43 AM

Post #6339208

Stressbaby, that was a great tour! It looks very lush in there. I grew a few papaya for a while but gave them up because I really don;t like to eat them, LOL. I prefer Mangos so I planted a 'patio' mango that is supposed to fruit before it reaches 90-100 feet. The curcuma Candy Cane is one of my favorites. I grew it for several years at my old house, but when we moved it was dormant and I 'missed' bringing some over to the new place. (I dug rhizomes and plants of almost everything I had in-ground and brought it with me, as well as all my containerized stuff)

Rachael, that's very kind of you to say! Thank you. I enjoy my hobby a lot. If you like philos you would like this one, P. "Golden erubescens". Its a bright yellow climber. This specimen grows on the wall directly across from the Ruffle Palm. It was a teensy cutting a few years ago, I got it as a trade. Now its up to over 8 ft.

Thumbnail by gothqueen

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #6339572

It looks almost surreal.

Thanks cathy, snort!
beautifulchaos
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6340697

Those are amazing pics. I'm ready for more. I'll be dreaming of my future greenhouse while sleeping tonight...and tomorrow...and well you know, lol! So, in the meantime, I will gladly enjoy your greenhouses. Thanks so much for sharing! ;-)
Mary2539
Solvang, CA

March 30, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6341499

I am new around here and I just ordered my 8 x 12 greenhouse! Boy, am I out classed! I am just thinking about growing a few tomatoes. You people are amazing. Thanks for the tour. I may post a picture when mine is up. Thanks for the inspiration! mary
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
10:11 PM

Post #6341844

Hi Mary, to some of us 8x12 is big, can't wait to see your, too.
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

March 30, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #6342216

The size of your greenhouse doesn't matter. Its what you do with it, LOL! I wanted to grow some aquatics in my greenhouse so I have always had a pond. This is the 2nd one, but you can;t really tell its a pond unless you are actually in the greenhouse standing beside it. Its ringed with all sorts of plants...orchids, bromeliads, anthuriums, calathea, some palms and a large 20 ft Bauhinia (orchid tree) shades it some on one end. Actually in the pond I maintain a large mat of Lasia spinosa, and some colocasias. These are the leaves of the Lasia, its a huge plant, an aquatic aroid.

I find having water in the greenhouse extremely helpful in helping keep the air more moist in our dry winters. This pond is about 50 gallons, and there is another 50+ gallon still pool and a 20 ft stream as well.

Thumbnail by gothqueen

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

March 30, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6342240

You can see a little eentsy bit of the stream in this shot. The plant in the foreground is a really neat ginger, Alpinia rugosa. This ginger was imported into the US by Dr. Tom Wood, who is a local resident here and an expert on gingers. This specimen is containerized, I actually moved it out of the GH today to a spot under a bottlebush tree where it will summer.

Thumbnail by gothqueen

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6342261

Oooooo, a water feature in the GH. I've got almost 100 gallons in mine, but in buckets trying to keep the place warmer. May just have to dream about this for awhile.
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

March 30, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #6342310

This is another view when it was overgrown, LOL

Thumbnail by gothqueen

Planter56
Buffalo, NY

March 31, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #6342396

Gothqueen, you certainly have a wonderful greenhouse. Makes me 'green' with envy :)
Mary2539
Solvang, CA

March 31, 2009
4:19 AM

Post #6343469

gothqueen,
That stream is totally amazing. How did you build up the change in elevation for your stream? What is the source of water? Did you start with an over all plan or did it just evolve? Certainly with 1700 sq ft you had to be thinking of more than growing my tomatoes! Mary
bonniekelley
Rehoboth, MA

March 31, 2009
6:13 AM

Post #6343776

I love your tropical greenhouses. Unfortunately, I live in the Northeast and would have to pay alot more for heat if I kept my greenhouse above 60 consistently. I am jealous!! I have a greenhouse that is attached to my house so that I can go in there and putter even in 0 degree weather. I heat it with the woodstove in my family room. I just purchased a new sunshed this winter so I can use it as a cold frame. Ihave attached a picture of my greenhouse. I brought it from Canada and my husband built it. It is insulated as much as possible!!

Thumbnail by bonniekelley

bonniekelley
Rehoboth, MA

March 31, 2009
6:22 AM

Post #6343785

Here is a picture of my new sunshed!!

Thumbnail by bonniekelley

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

March 31, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #6344143

Bonnie, those are wonderful! We thought about adding a lean to this summer on a part of our house but decided against it. With the economy and everything we didn't want to let the $$ go.

Mary, the stream was part of the GH 'evolution', LOL. One day I looked at a foresty maze of 10-18 ft heliconias that I was having a very difficult time keeping the mealies and scale off of, and I decided that it was time for a change. So I began digging out the heliconias and a lot of other plants and containerizing them. I eventually traded all the heliconias away, but kept the other stuff while I decided what to do.

Then one day we went down to the University to walk through the Butterfly Rainforest they built there and I saw their stream. It made me think also of the "Amazon Crocodile Stream" at the Dallas aquarium, and I decided, "I want a stream too!" So I built one.

I have some photos in Photobucket I will dig out and post of the stream while it was being built. It wasn;t hard, I purposefully made it as easy as possible, LOL.

That was what I was hoping to see on this thread...other things and features people have done in their greenhouses that make them sort of unique. Ways of planting, ways of hanging, space management, hiding 'ugly' practicle stuff, and cool plants!
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #6344511

Do you like 'Mr. Stripey' tomatoes. lol?

I think you have the imaginative part sussed - that stream is flat out fabulous. I might just have to have a more recreational gh, now...
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

March 31, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6344734

This photo is of some of the plants currently at the 'head' of the stream. These have changed a couple of times over the period that the stream ha sbeen installed...at one time I had a huge 20 ft tall Bauhinia tree at the streamhead, but it kept dropping leaves and was a real pain to prune to keep it off the ceiling at that location, so I removed it and planted the palms. There are also begonias, some bromeliads, alocasias, and a stand of variegated Phaius orchids that happen to be in full bloom at the moment

Thumbnail by gothqueen

lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6345628

What a great idea for a thread.
Gothqueen, thanks for the photo of you (love your short hair) and of your greenhouse, it really is a tropical paradise. I don't remember how you heat your greenhouses, it gets cold in Gainesville, doesn't it? Your plants are really lovely.

Stressbaby, your greenhouse is so nice! It looks like a teaching facility. I can't believe you grow papayas. What is a Musa DC? And what is the C of your candy cane?

Bonnie, I love your cedar greenhouse and shed, they are so pretty! I would love to have a greenhouse attached to the house, so I don't have to scamper across the yard on cold nights. We though about connecting ours, so we could use the heat from sunny winter days, but just couldn't work it out.
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

March 31, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #6345696

C = curcuma
Musa DC = Dwarf Cavendish Banana
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #6345765

Thanks! I was too tired to wrack my brain for the DC, been up feeding the GH stove last two nights.
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

March 31, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6345965

I wish that your Spring would come to you very soon, lakesidecallas! I have had the heater off for about 3 weeks now.

Come on guys, I am not seeing photo tours of your greenhouses!!! Bring it!
tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #6347248

Ok-maybe if I say here that I will take pictures tomorrow of them then I will...although it is supposed to be cloudy and raining tomorrow, and grhouses always look better in sunny days. Mine are also kind of boring-just tons of potted annuals
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 1, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6347288

We still need to see them. We might disagree with you.

This is how I made my stream. I wasn't going for anything really deep. I just wanted some water moving through. I dug a channel 20 ft long from the back wall of the GH towards the front and ended it in a 3 ft deep pool. I bought a pre-fab waterfall fixture (yeah, I cheated, but you can;t tell because its now covered in moss and plants and looks very natural) and ran a piece of tubing from the pool to the fall and connected it to a pond pump, then covered the tubing with a layer of gravel, river rock and other things. Then I edged it with flat stones and filled it up and its been going ever since.

There is a large goldfish that lives in the still pool and some minnows that swim up and down the streamcourse, and some frogs live in here year round.

I planted things in the stream and along the sides. Its pretty cool, I like it a lot. I have orchids, hoyas, bromeliads, and epicacti that hang in baskets from the ceiling over the pond too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Bihai/Newstream1.jpg
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 1, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #6347294

another view
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Bihai/stream3-1.jpg

This message was edited Mar 31, 2009 8:25 PM
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 1, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6347306

I started out with the plants at the back by the little fall
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Bihai/Streamscape1.jpg

This message was edited Mar 31, 2009 8:27 PM

This message was edited Mar 31, 2009 8:27 PM
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 1, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #6347316

Then, this set of photos was taken about 5 months later.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Bihai/StreamFour2006.jpg

This message was edited Mar 31, 2009 8:30 PM

This message was edited Mar 31, 2009 8:34 PM
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 1, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6347353

another shot...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Bihai/StreamOneAug2006.jpg
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 1, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #6347356

another:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Bihai/StreamThree2006.jpg
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 1, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #6347364

And the last one
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Bihai/StreamTwoAug2006.jpg
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

April 1, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6347388

I have a pool bubble green house here in Washington, DC. We workout in the pool. The heated water warms the interior air. We take advantage of this by keeping most of our outdoor plants in there all winter.

It's an extreme rainforest kind of greenhouse, 100% humidity 24/7, plus dripping off the ceiling. We spray with fungicide before moving the plants in, and as necessary.

The other thing I discovered was that the interior air maintains a very high level of carbon dioxide, from the pool chemicals outgassing CO2.

The combination It produces some interesting effects.

Here's the pool, without bubble.

Thumbnail by JPlunket

JPlunket
Vieques, PR

April 1, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6347393

here's the bubble

Thumbnail by JPlunket

JPlunket
Vieques, PR

April 1, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6347399

Here's inside

Thumbnail by JPlunket

JPlunket
Vieques, PR

April 1, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6347408

More

Thumbnail by JPlunket

JPlunket
Vieques, PR

April 1, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6347412

The environment produces rooting from the branches of oleander

Thumbnail by JPlunket

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 1, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6347417

WOW!
How big is your pool???
Ours is 15 x 30 and does not have a pool screen over it (which is almost blasphemy in Florida).
If you don;t mind me asking, how much did your pool bubble system cost, and where did you get it?? That's something we might like...we don;t swim in the pool until late April here, it doesn;t get warm enough til then
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

April 1, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6347421

also flowering of a cordelyine australis

Thumbnail by JPlunket

JPlunket
Vieques, PR

April 1, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #6347448

Pool is 10x16. The bubble is as small as they'd make one.

It cost about $2,300 plus various hardware for installation.

Check their website http://www.rontimco.com/index.php/pool-domes-liners-covers/pool-domes --I am very satisfied.
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

April 1, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6347492

When it gets below 20 degrees F here, the zipper freezes up and I have to pour hot water down it to get it open.

But the interior air goes no lower than the low 40's. With 83 degree water, it makes for nice a workout, but is not for general hanging out.

I'd guess that in Gainesville, the problem would be OVER heating, which it is here when it gets into the high 70s.

lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #6347874

Love the bubble! I never saw anything like that before.

Gothqueen, do you have paths in your greenhouse, or how do you move around?
bonniekelley
Rehoboth, MA

April 1, 2009
5:52 AM

Post #6348448

Goth Queen -

Really strange. I NEVER take pictures of my greenhouse and the plants. I takes oodles of pictures of my gardens, but never even once think of taking pictures in there. I am in beautiful Key West this week so I can't take any pictures, but will when I return. I, like other northerners, mostly overwinter my tropical like plants, propagate for my outdoor gardens, and then seed in early spring. Right now I have about 30 flats of seedlings. I love to give plants away to all my relatives and friends.

I love the plants here in Key West, but wouldn't even think of trying to overwinter some. Many require consistent temperatures over 70.

How do you handle pests in your greenhouse? Do you have an ecosystem where different pests eat others? I am afraid I constantly fight aphids and this year, My Sky Blue Thunbergia got spider mites. The leaves were covered with some sticky stuff, turned yellow and fell off. I don't like using pesticides so I bought ladybugs to eat the aphids, but I have no idea how to handle the spiders. They are white and weird looking. Anybody fought spider mites and won???

Bonnie
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 1, 2009
12:18 PM

Post #6348884

I had a big battle with pests when I had all the foliage from the closely packed heliconias in there. Mealies, scale and mites. But getting rid of all that foliage pretty much cleared the problem. I get an occasional infestation now, mainly on stuff like plumeria and I have to pay attention to the Cattleya alliance orchids, they are pest magnets for some reason. I do a couple of Neem Oil sprays at the beginning of the season, in sequence, and I treat the large trees (bauhinias, plumerias, and some of the palms) with a drenching of the Bayer Systemic in Spring so it can come out in the new growth. Otherwise, I just keep a watch out to catch anything as soon as it starts and Neem it out of existance. I try not to use pesticides like Orthene, Cygon etc anymore, as I have a breeding colony of green treefrogs in the greenhouse that hatch babies out in the tanks of my bromeliads, and I also have a few snakes that live in there and many 'stream frogs' and toads. I don;t want to harm them. They do keep some pests in check, but for the frogs, it has to move or they don;t eat it, so they don't help with scale and mealies. The fish in the ponds and streams eat mosquito larva in the water and I have dragon and damselflies as well.

I also keep a bottle of Ivory dish soap in th GH and mix up a soap spray for spot-use at any time.

Running the overhead sprinklers nightly also helps a lot to keeping pests down, and keeps my predators happy.

Here's an orchid in bloom at the moment, peeking out between a palm frond

Thumbnail by gothqueen

tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6351936

All righty then-I actually took some pictures today and here they are!
This is what we call # 1 grhouse. It was the first that I built back in 1991. Its the one that I throw all my tropical plants in, in October, just before a frost when we are always in a rush. As a result-and because I have too many tropicals, its always in a state of chaos. It takes me a few months to get it under control, and now , as I need the room for the annuals, I have just shoved everything underneath, so you really cant see them, except for a few here and there.

Thumbnail by tigerlily123

tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #6351957

this is the other side of #1. You can see a bunch of heliconias at the very end of the aisle, and a red and a pk torch ginger, but they are all stacked in back of each other. Some are over 8' or more and in containers. Like I said before-not sure if these pictures show very much!

tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6351968

Still in #1. here are a few tropicals , mostly alocasias that I have kept on the table all winter, but it is the agave that I am in love with at the moment-isn't it pretty? lol

tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6351984

forgot to say that the flashlight in the previous picture is for when i have to go slug hunting at night. Easier to get them in the dark. This winter has been unusually bad for them and they were on the top shelf eating all the petunias when they were babies. I got 12 the first night!

This picture is the table in #2-some of the tropicals that will go out in a month.

tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009

Post #6352005

here is the right side of #2. The empty flats have caladiums in them and haven't popped yet. They are closest to the heater. There are a bunch of flats underneath near the heater also, as there are in all the grhouses. When they pop, then they come up to one of the middle shelves to get light so they grow faster. Kind of hard to see any plants in this picture, was afraid of that.

tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
12:26 AM

Post #6352037

here is the left side of #2. You can see where some caladiums have started to take off.

tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #6352048

Still in #2, I got up on the table so you could see down the grhouse better

tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6352079

Now we are in # 3 grhouse. This is my new puppy-isn't she a sweetheart? Her name is Chloe and she is 6 months old-already weighs over 60 lbs, but she looks very lean to me. Her dad is a Anatolian Shephard, which I had never heard of, but she looks just like him, and her mother is a German Shephard. Both the dogs love to lay in front of that heater (any of them) when its on, but maybe not quite that close-but only a few feet back. It always amazes me as that is a very large heater-a 200K btu and it puts out some heat. They love it! They hear the heater click on and get up and lay there waiting for the heat to come out.

tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #6352104

Here is the left side of # 3 with Bear taking a nap. All the tags on the ground are from when the fan comes on and blows them off the table. Which is why he is sleeping there-he loves that air blowing in when its hot out. I can't tell you how many times I have almost stepped on him when I am carrying a stack of filled flats and its at night, and I can't see over the flats.

tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6352120

Another picture of Bear-cause you just can't get enough pictures of him! He used to be so scared of the camera-he looks too tired to move though.

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 2, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #6352126

Very cool! And yes that is a great agave. We have those planted out all over the place here, they are my favorites. There are some really huge specimens around town too.
Do you use all your plants for your own use?
I do the same thing, I propagate selected things to plant out every year.
tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6352130

here is a view of #3 from the table looking down the grhouse

tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6352178

here are some more tropicals that will go out in a month. They are on the ground by the heater. I did have the ornamental grasses there, but the dogs were eating them-so they are outside now. We go through this every year. One time I was loading an order and Bear was standing there eating the grass that I was sending out..

Gothqueen-I guess I forgot to say that these are commercial grhouses. I am a small wholesale bedding plant grower. I sell to landscapers, Duke University etc. My crop is basically presold, and I grow some extras as well. So most everything that you see will be gone by the end of May. I would take a gun (if I had one) and shoot myself if I had to deal with all these annuals all summer! lol There are hundreds of flats of just one type of plant in there. some are already outside, and we haven't even finished taking cuttings or transplanting what there will be. Lots of work still...

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 2, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #6352179

This is an area of my greenhouse in the very front corner, up by the pond. The photos that follow show what it was before it came to look like this. The centerpiece now is a young Kerriodoxa elegans palm, with a thin feathery Chamaedorea palm growing up behind it. There are also numerous anthuriums, hoyas and other plants growing here

Thumbnail by gothqueen

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 2, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6352193

this is a view of the same area down to the ground...

Thumbnail by gothqueen

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 2, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6352205

And this is how it all got started...
I had a huge Heliconia caribaea "Criswick" growing in this corner, but decided to remove it, because I knew it would eventually spread out of the space and would be 10 times harder to get out later on.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Bihai/Criswickbefore.jpg
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 2, 2009

Post #6352213

Oops I got the pics out of order, LOL. That was after I dug it out. This shows the cork bark getting attached to the support beam, to mount orchids and bromeliads onto
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Bihai/Criswickbefore1.jpg

This message was edited Apr 1, 2009 8:58 PM
tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009

Post #6352214

here are some more caladiums that have started to come up.

I keep most of my tropical palms and larger tropicals -jasmines, citrus , tropical bamboos etc in the house as you can see there is no room for them. That is why I want to build a grhouse like yours where I can plant them. I did take a room in the middle of the house that didnt have any windows and put a 4' x 4' skylight in it and that works great for a bunch of the palms-I think I have over 80 of the palms that are tropical and have to stay inside. It is getting out of hand-to say the least...lol

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 2, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #6352229

farther in to the process...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Bihai/Criswickbefore2.jpg
tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #6352236

here is one of my palms inside, some are getting too large-like this one

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 2, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #6352237

more work done...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Bihai/Criswickbefore3.jpg
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 2, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6352243

a little more...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Bihai/Criswickbefore4.jpg
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 2, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6352251

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Bihai/Criswickbefore5.jpg
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 2, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6352256

and the last one...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Bihai/Criswickbefore6.jpg
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 2, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #6352272

This is the striped bromeliad from the last photo, its an unusual variegated Nidularium. I summer it outside now, its gotten very huge, its about 3x bigger than when the last pic was taken and has already had an offset that I have planted out in the yard.

Thumbnail by gothqueen

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 2, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #6352287

Tigerlily, that's pretty cool. You have a very large business there! I wouldn;t be able to part with some of that stuff though, I can always find places to plant stuff around here! Your Areca palm is really nice. I have one in the greenhouse about 12 ft tall, and one in a container on the deck that's smaller. They are really nice palms

RachelLF

RachelLF

April 2, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #6352408

Goth. You are making my tongue not only wag but it's dragging the ground in the process;-) One day I want to stop by your place "if it's OK" with you ...on my route to St. Augustine.

tigerlily, I might be knocking at your door as well being that you are not that far from me.

This is really a lovely thread. Thank's everyone for sharing.

Rachel

tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #6352476

thanks Gothqueen-i don't part with my personal stuff-but the commercial stuff is easy to part with-esp considering that I am getting paid for it! that is actually a Dypsis decaryi. When I lived in Hawaii-there were Arecas all over the place, and its one palm that I don't have here. I guess I saw too many of them there.

Here is a Caryota Ochlandra. I got this as a liner about 3 yrs ago-it was maybe 1.5' high. They grow very fast. I don't think that I am going to put it in a bigger pot to try to keep it from growing so fast

Forgot to ask, Rachael, whats in St.Aug? I went to school there ages ago! We used to laugh about how it had the oldest everything...school, fort etc

This message was edited Apr 1, 2009 9:53 PM

RachelLF

RachelLF

April 2, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6352544

Tigerlily, exactly every thing you stated in your small paragraph;-)

St. Augustine Florida "is" the most relaxing place I have ever visited in my life and take it from me...I have visited many other place's in Florida through out my year's...all the way down to Miami, Key West and way beyond.

What in the world made you leave the Old City?

Rachel

lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #6352949

Wow, tigerlily, that is just amazing. It makes me tired just looking at it- boy, you must be a busy gal! How much help do you have?
tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
10:39 AM

Post #6353653

Rachael-I think thats the first time ever that someone asked me why i moved from St. Aug instead of why I moved from Hawaii! lol The answer is that I moved to Hawaii. I was just in college in St. Aug. They were fun years though. One year a friend and I had a house out on the island, on the beach-huge house (rent was so cheap then) and came in every day to school. It was freezing in that house in the winter. Lots of good memories of the bars (all 3 of them! lol).

lakeside-I am really busy during the crops. I basically work 7 days a week during a crop ( I grow 2 crops a year), but then I get 4 months off . I usually have 2-3 fulltime/parttime people depending on the size of the crop and where we are in the crop. I love it! I love the growing and how it expands, and I also love to see it all go! It also keeps me in shape, without having to workout.
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 2, 2009
11:51 AM

Post #6353771

I love Caryotas too! I have several in the GH. they are still pretty small but they grow into monsters really fast, don't they? I bought a couple of Caryota zebrina from an eBay vendor for a very cheap price (like, $7 each...before folks 'noticed' them and they started selling for $30+)...they were about 5-6" when I got them and are now 18" or more and the trunks are showing the striping. Its hard for me to get photos of some of the st'individual palms in the GH, especially the pinnate and fishtails, because they seem to get 'lost' in all the background 'noise'. I do need to photograph a lot of my palms for growth documentation though. Here are a few smaller growers, little rainforest understory palms. I have a small Dypsis decaryi planted in the yard. It went through the 20's this winter without even leafburn! Much better than my Areca would have. They do look very similar though, to me anyway.

Rachel you are welcome to stop in on your way to St Augustine! We go over there occasionally. We like to eat at the A1A Ale House (I think that's what its called...). My husband loves O'Steens too. Being a vegetarian its hard for me to find food at O'Steens though.

Tigerlily, if I ever got to Hawaii, they'd have to take me out in a box. No way I would leave on my own!!!!

Thumbnail by gothqueen

tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
12:37 PM

Post #6353887

lol It took my ex-husband two years of trying to introduce me to the idea and I only did it to "compromise" for the relationship. That went well...
I was there for 10 yrs and that is really where my heart is, in terms of where to live.
I do love the caryotas. I have a zebrina too-it came in very small and sat there for a yr and now it is growing. I have a no, and that needs a bigger pot. I also like/have ptychospermas-the look of the leaf and the new red leaves that come out. There aren't many palms that I don't love. I even moved a palm collection that I had where I lived on Maui (way up a deserted valley) to the Big Island when we moved to there. That was like 30 yrs ago. I helped start the Big Island Palm Society chapter-there was hardly any of us that grew palms back then-can you believe it? The whole time I lived in Hi, I never had electricity, let alone the internet. It kills me, the plants/palms I could have had access to if I had stayed there. All my palms were started from seeds that I had to buy. The possibilities are endless today with all the nurseries out there.
larrycook
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #6353946

Gothqueen,

Amazing you do so much with your GH and still have a life.

Would you mind telling us how you make your bark poles for mounting Bromeliads?

Thanks,

Larry

RachelLF

RachelLF

April 2, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #6353996

Tigerlily, I understand now. I have been to Waikiki but never had a chance to look around much into all the Flora there unfortunately. I enjoyed your writting's down memory lane of St. A. ;-) I guess if I had the "dollar's" to visit Hawaii as much as I do St. A. I would more than likely choose Hawaii over Florida!!!!;-)

Thank you Gothqueen for the welcome. It's much appreciated but I have to agree with your husband...O'steen's has some of the best seafood I have ever ate and the line's are worth the wait to get a seat. Schooner's is my pick though.

Everyone, have a tremendous day.

Rachel

beautifulchaos
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6354660

Wow...just w.o.w. I am thoroughly enjoying this thread! ;-)

That orchid/bromelaid tower is gorgeous GQ! I'm intrigued to hear about how you made that too...
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 2, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #6356259

I make them a few different ways depending on the location. That one was the easiest. I had some big cork bark plaques, and I just drilled holes in them and wrapped them to the 4x4 corner support of the GH. They stay up very well.
I also wrap PVC pipes and old drip irrigation hoses with cocofiber sheets and use those as totems.

Tigerlily,
here is one of my caryotas...this is a sp. 'Himilaya' sitting between a torch ginger

Thumbnail by gothqueen

tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6356630

You are right, it is hard to separate out the plants in pictures. Thats what I meant about my grhouses...(not to mention that all my tropicals, that are in there, are under the shelves-like forgotten children-I feel like I have grounded them or something :) ) It would be more fun to be there in person and see each plant. Whats that tree/hardwood plant to the far right? It looks familiar. Have you had the torch ginger bloom yet? They are so awesome the way that they rise out of the ground. They have some really cool ones now-whitish/pk etc that weren't around when I lived in Hi.
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 3, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #6356847

The tree is a Bauhinia. I have some different ones. Oh yeah, the torch blooms all the time. That one is E. fulgens. Its a tulip torch. I have also grown and bloomed E. elatior red and pink, but I ended up removing them from the greenhouse after 3-4 years, the stalks were over 20 feet long and the rhizome mass just kept spreading and spreading...the E. fulgens is a lot more manageable

Thumbnail by gothqueen

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 3, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6356862

This is the tulip torch fully open
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Bihai/DSCN5129.jpg

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #6360270

What a wonderful thread.

GQ, what in heaven's name do you do in the summer? When did you start this GH?

After Hurricane Wilma, there is no screening around my pool either. Boy, what a change in our lives. My DH and I almost never sat outside, for it felt like a cage. Now with wide open spaces, it seems like a country club in the islands. It has even boosted my interest in the gardens for they can be really seen now.

Tiger, what a job you have. In some ways you are envied, and others...just too old! Certainly a labor of love.

Thanks so much for sharing such wonderful spaces.

Hap
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

April 4, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #6363350

Great thread, I wish I had a greenhouse. I'll have to live through you folks for now...
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6363815

I'm enjoying this thread a lot, too. I took some photos but will have to download them to my computer, etc. My GH is not as exciting, but I'll show it anyhow.
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6366662

Sorry, posted on wrong thread.

This message was edited Apr 8, 2009 11:25 AM
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 8, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6379847

Gothqueen,
the orchid in Post #6337650

is probably a Dendrobium Golden Aya. I have one just like it.
fred

RachelLF

RachelLF

April 8, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6380195

lakesidecallas, looking forward to your new pic's.

Rachel
WALLACEONE
, WI

April 24, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #6458909

This has been one of the best threads I have read in a while...Just love everybodys pictures...Beautiful !
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 25, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6459072

I have been so busy I haven;t been able to take any new photos! We got back from the Boston Marathon late Tuesday and I have been playing catch up ever since. I have been able to get 1/2 the greenhouse paths weeded and re-mulched. Many many of my hoyas are in bloom at the moment...obovata, publicalyx, carnosa, pachyclada, camphoripholia (sp), lacunosa, kerrii, etc and others...

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2009
11:20 PM

Post #6462907

gothqueen I have enjoyed your pictures and I bet with all those hoyas blooming it must smell wonderful!!!! I've been considering leaving my hoyas in my GH. They are loving it right now. My GH was a HF one that my DH had them use wood instead of the metal frame and just used the polycarbon panels. It's 10X12. I have enjoyed it for 2 winters now and just put a space heater in it with a thermostat. Glad you enjoyed your trip. I bet that was fun!!!!
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #6465147

Nothing fancy growing in my GH. I don't use it in the winter. It's full of daylies right now waiting for warmer weather before they go outside. I wish I could keep a bunch of tropicals in there, but too expensive to heat it in zone 5. I've enjoyed looking at everyone's pictures.

Thumbnail by pastime

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6465614

Yikes,

Yours is so neat, pastime. Mine was always a disaster area.

Hap
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #6466985

Hap, mine is like yours, I was really amazed by pastime's.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2009
11:17 AM

Post #6582128

I just found this awesome thread. I've envisioned a greenhouse once we move to FL permanently. I have a 2 story "studio" out back and have thought of building a green house off one side. Would never be anything as large as these but I do love tropicals.

I lived in HI for 7 years and had orchids everywhere. Brought a few back with me (15 years ago) but they never did rebloom. I now have a collection of @10 and know they will be much happier in FL than they are in MD - especially in the winter.

I'm not far from Gainsville and would love to come and visit.
jmzako
Ramona, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #6591787

Here is my greenhouse that I just finished in Feb. Inside I have germinated mesquite trees, Sago Palms and a variety of cacti.

Thumbnail by jmzako

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

May 24, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #6591947

I really like your pachypodiums! I had some but they stayed too wet here and rotted :-(

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2009
8:50 PM

Post #6591968

jm,

That looks great. Will you use it all year?

Hap
jmzako
Ramona, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #6593297

I'm not sure if I'll use it all year or not. The inside temp now reaches 110F when its 85 outside. later in the summer when the temp reaches 100F outside i'm looking at 125 on the inside. Very hot for young plants. So instead of moving my plants outside and then moving them back in when the seasons change, i'm toying with the idea of installing an automotive fan, powered by a 12v battery which is kept charged with a small solar panel.. I believe this will help protect my plants during the hot months. I'll let you know how it works out.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #6593382

jmzako, please let me know what you purchase, I've been looking for a similar set-up.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2009
8:49 AM

Post #6593880

I'm not sure that a vehicle's 12V radiator fan will move enough air to make any noticeable difference in the temperature of a greenhouse that size, especially in zone 9b.
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

May 25, 2009
12:12 PM

Post #6594203

ou need an exhaust fan set up to pull air through the GH constantly. In your dry climate you could easily set up a pretty effective swamp cooler as well, by rigging a perforated pipe or a drip hose to keep a few towels constantly wet at the back end and have the fan pull air through them toward the front
jmzako
Ramona, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6595015

Very good points, eggs + goth. I hadn't thought about how much air the fan would be moving thru the house. I will have to reconsider. Mostly I was thrilled about going solar and saving energy costs. There isn't much on the market in the way of solar powered fans. Thanks for your input.
Jim
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6599621

I'm sure not having a problem with humidity here, it has rained nearly every day lately, and will for several days more. The rivers are coming up again. I've got to get my rain barrels set up. I goofed and made the strawberry beds permanent in the greenhouse, they need to be outside to get all this lovely rain. Almost everything else is planted, the shelves are getting empty.

Solar fans are either tiny or whole house, cheap or several hundred dollars, nothing in between that I've been able to find.
GreenThumbsTN
Chattanooga, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6617455

we built our greenhouse last year and have been using it for a little over a year. it's working out just as well as we had hoped.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #6617956

Beautiful...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #6618084

Very impressive. I would have a little cot and probably just live there in the greenhouse.

Christi
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #6618354

How lovely! I couldn't get the video tour to work very well (would go a few seconds then stop) but your gh is certainly very different.
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #7034121

I was noticing posts from someone in Ramona California. I live in the high desert of Kingman, AZ. I was planning on using my greenhouse, all glass as a potting shed in summer. It will have ventilation, but is on the south side of the house. So now I am seeing I might need a shade cover too or small swamp cooler.
Linda
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #7034300

probably both. even with ventilation, my greenhouse gets over 100 and it is in the shade in the summer.
LValadez
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #7161942

This is my little Green (Purple) house LOL. During the day it looks clear. I hope this will help with the direct sun that it will get once the leaves fall off the trees. Zone 8 Benbrook Texas

I am just getting started.

Lori

This message was edited Oct 12, 2009 1:42 PM

Thumbnail by LValadez

LValadez
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #7161974

This is the first year to try it out. I am concerned with warming it during the winter. Any suggestions it is an 8X8

Thumbnail by LValadez

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #7162089

It looks beautiful.

How cold do you really get in the winter?

Hap
LValadez
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #7162105

It gets below freezing at times. Nov avg 44 Dec avg 38 Jan avg 36 Feb avg 36-34

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #7162110

You may be able to get by with a couple of spot lights. They give a lot of heat.

Hap
LValadez
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #7162126

I have Christmas lights hanging up? I wonder how much heat they will give off. I walked over to a lit tree at Lowes yesterday and held the bulb in my fingers they were warm not hot but with several it may be enough?

Lori

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #7162240

If you were protecting a special plant, I hear people wrap the twinkles around them. But you are talking about raising the temp in an area. Start out with one and check the temp at night. Those lights go into a regular light socket, so it's not anything out of the ordinary. Just make sure you have an 'out-door' extension and light socket.

Hap

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #7162317

Hi Lori I have a 10'X12' GH with the polycarbon siding. I housed hoyas and plumeria in there last year and just used one of those little electric heaters with a thermostat. I set it to lo 60 degrees and everything did well here in zone 8B. This year I converted that GH to just hoyas and succulents. We are enclosing the awning to our guest house which is 13'X45' and we are using the ready-made Clearview panels. I have flagstone flooring which will hold the heat some and I have a window unit with heat strip in the guest house. This unit should also add to the heat some and if necessary I can always add another little hearter.

By theory this should work. I sure pray it does!!!!

Thumbnail by jeri11

LValadez
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #7162367

Jeri11,

My plans are to try to stick to a small amount of plants in the greenhouse I hope to buy most that will winter outdoors by them self. I am new to this don’t want to see my $$ dried and dead. We will see how well thing turn out in spring. Hope it won’t be an upset.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #7162394

LOL!!! Lori!!! Good luck with that!! This is a very addictive hobby and I at least always love the things that won't winter over here.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #7162553

That's it. Take it slow and learn in the process. Just remember, here at Dave's Garden, we will be right here with you every step of the way. That's what DG is all about. Please remember.

Hap..Nancy
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #7162617

I use a small space heater that blows heat with a small fan in my 8x8, set at 60 it keeps the greenhouse about 55. I'm adding a solar water heater this year, in the process of setting it up. If it works, 100 gallons of water will be heated during the day to radiate heat in the evening. Now if the sun would just come out; it has been unusually cold and rainy here. In addition to keeping some tender plants through the winter, I grow cool weather veggies. I moved my basil plant in there today, it smells wonderful!
LValadez
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #7162631

You guy are geat. Thanks for all the great advice.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #7179297

This was my GH in the summer 08, 6x8 feet, it came with the home. I started 60 tomatoes and transplanted them to the garden, but I wanted more room.
On the left you can see the start of a 16' addition my SIL helped me build, from old wooden windows, cost for the addition, around $600.

Thumbnail by rentman

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #7179310

Dec 16, 2008, this is the 16' addition complete, well I guess it will never be complete ^_^
The 5 windows at the top open for venting.

Thumbnail by rentman

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #7179322

The winter of 08 it got cold and my rabbit's water bottles froze so I move them inside the GH, which helped with the heat.
Papa on the right, Mama on the left, Teens (ready for the freezer) in the center.
Rabbit Poo is Great for the garden.

Thumbnail by rentman

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #7179356

Inside I installed two recycled paddle fans which are on a thermostat and vent the air out the 5 windows at the roof top. They run most of the day in the Summer. The dark panel, lower left is 'shading' to help cut the heat. It is now removed.

Thumbnail by rentman

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #7179379

My SIL made this sign when we were building the 16' addition because my wife was complaining about the money spent.
I will stop for now. I do love my GH, it was one of my wishes when we moved from Florida to northern Kentucky.
I could post more but don't want to hog this thread.

Thumbnail by rentman

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #7179383

Looks Great.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #7179469

Hi, Happy, I was born and lived 55 years in West Palm, my wife wants to go back ??
The weather and growing things are much different here.
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #7179585

Rentman, your greenhouse is so pretty, I love the green color! It would be a neat building even if it wasn't a greenhouse!
I truly think of my greenhouse as a sanctuary. In the winter I love to sit out there and look at the plants. Nice potting bench too!

I lived in West Palm too! Sometimes I miss the ocean, but I don't miss the traffic and the people. I used to work with a native WPB-er, she used to tell us stories of how different the place used to be. I left in '94 and probably wouldn't recognize the place now.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #7179777

A greenhouse is a sanctuary, for mine was for me when I lived in Rochester, NY. Got smart and got outta Dodge in '83. This is paradise.

Hap
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #7179993

I've been working on the door area of the GH today. Built the Dutch door (the upper white window (recycled), couple weeks ago and putting a small roof over the door. Will have enough room on each side to hang plants and maybe build a seat to sit on and drink my beer ^_^
I do love south FL, have lots of friends there but no family. And I was a Rentman there for 30 years, sold out at the top of the market and now am here with my children.
We still have a small townhouse in FL. and both sides of the family go down and use it for a few weeks now and then.
It helps to speak Spanish down there, for sure. ^_^

This message was edited Oct 17, 2009 4:29 PM

Thumbnail by rentman

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #7180023

There is almost nothing better than being with your children.

However, I opted out on FL with my boys in Rochester, NY and my DD in Chicago.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #7180128

Oh Yes Happy, it is wonderful to be close to the kids. Sunday dinner is a family tradition now.

lakesidecallas..the Green paint color was my wife's idea and a good one.
I came in, tired after working on the addition and was talking about paint.
I did not want White and ask her...She said, "Well you know how much I love the color of Money", so Green it is...
We still have a lot of fun after 43 years.
Now it's not really 'getting better' but we do laugh a lot more... ^_^
Love that Girl a lot.

Thumbnail by rentman

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #7180139

You are truly Blessed.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #7182073

Love it!!!! Yall did a great job!!!! The sign you SIL made is perfect!!!!!
DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 23, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #7199157

saw on another thread where folks were using bubble wrap inside the greenhouse to help insulate . . ?!?!?!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2009
10:36 AM

Post #7199714

That was installed on mine over 35 years ago every winter. Would spray water on the glass and then press smooth side to the glass. It worked quite well.

Hap

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2009
11:48 AM

Post #7199805

We installed Clearview Plastic on our existing awning over the guest house. We have a heat pump in the guest house and my niece lives in there. We're hoping with the exhaust from the heat pump that no colder than we get that will be enough.

This is after we started to put the plants in.

Thumbnail by jeri11

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2009
11:51 AM

Post #7199811

How cold do you get?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2009
11:53 AM

Post #7199814

We get down to 25 about 5X's usually in Feb.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #7199828

That's not too bad if it's just for a few hours. But, some things are gone at 40. Looks like you're going to have a great thing going.

Hap

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2009

Post #7199967

You can see the window unit on the right in this picture that I'm hoping will exhaust some heat into the enclosure. If necessary I can put a little heater out there. But we may be 25 degrees for maybe 10 hrs at a time. I enclosed 1/2 of this area a few years back with visqueen and it was a nightmare. I COULD NOT get the bottom secure and every time the temperature would drop the visqueen came loose and I was back out there trying to re-secure it. The plumerias did just fine even with that. It was me that almost didn't survive!!! LOL!!!!

Thumbnail by jeri11

DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 23, 2009
1:04 PM

Post #7199980

gothqueen. .. love the GH. .. beautiful plants. . too bad I wasn't that into the plants when I lived up there in G'ville!!! That's a sight to behold for sure!

Wish I could hoard. . I mean, "collect" that many plants... **LOL**

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #7200144

jeri,

Are you sure that the exhaust from the heater would contain something that would not be good for the plants. Some spit out nasty stuff.

Hap

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #7200213

You know I have no idea. The unit is so old I doubt there are any manufacturer info on it. How would I check that? Do you know?

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #7200253

Google a unit like the one you have and maybe you can tell from that. Is it elec or gas? Elec wouldn't be that bad, but gas????? Wonder. Or start a new thread and ask all these folks.

Hap

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #7200287

It's electric.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #7200403

You'll probably be fine.
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #7213478

It looks like it will be a relaxing place to sit out in the sun. Good idea!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #7214719

sun, what is sun? we haven't seen any in so long I've forgotten. playing in the greenhouse in the dark isn't any fun at all :(

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #7214758

cathy,

It's that bright light in the sky.

Hap
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #7214789

Rumor has it we may see it tomorrow for a little while so I can slog through the mud out to the GH to water everything. There is no shortage of rain water right now.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #7214985

Oh Cathy4 I so feel for you having to deal with the mud. we are just starting into that period of time of year were we will end up with a lake, (that is what I call it) in the back yard, and I 've got to cross it each time I take my collies out to the back fenced yard. DH wouldn't let me fence all the way to the back of the house, so now I've got to cross a lake and deal with mud then it is a ice skating rink then turns back to lake and mud with maybe a month or two that its dry.

Well here is hoping the sun comes out tomorrow, tomorrow... for ya.

Janet
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2009

Post #7215145

Thanks Janet, I was just whining, it will get better, yours sounds worse!
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2009
5:57 AM

Post #7246623

Rentman, that greenhouse is really showing some new improvements. I remember about the dutch door. I have been missing from the forums. Upset that my greenhouse was probably going to be on hold or not at all. But hubby put 3 walls together on his day off. He just butted the windows together with wood and I think we will have to reinforce both sides. It is now back to being on the platform we already have next to our shed and the shed will be one wall. So it will be 6 by 9. I hope it all works out. Not sure on the venting yet. It will have one door. I may not be able to use it in summer as it will be a cooker. But at least I can overwinter and maybe start some seedlings. I would like to do Coleus, haven't had any in years. Just so he gets it up, I can make anything junky even look good.
Linda
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2009

Post #7247443

Linda, I finished the door and built a small roof over it.
Last year I got a metal shelf that I use as a potting shelf, it to the right, which faces South.

Thumbnail by rentman

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2009

Post #7247464

This is a shelf on the right side of the entrance, I will build one for the left side...SomeDay
That's a strawberry plant in the clay pot...I 'killed' the others. ^_^

Thumbnail by rentman

curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2009
6:56 AM

Post #7252380

Well, my greenhouse isn't a dream after all. The location went back on the wood platform next to our shed and is in the sunniest location. I just want to overwinter plants from extreme temps at night. I am afraid it will be a hot house in the summer , but we will see. Working on the ventilation and a dutch door. We made trusses tonight and have some heavy plastic canvas sign material to make a roof and double side it so it is white on both sides and the lettering doesn't show. I think we may have enough to put on the floor to protect it from water spills. I have shutters to put up too, pretty much it will come out like the original all window white one with shutters I shared a pic of first. I also was thinking of growing evergreen jasmine up and over it to filter the extreme sun. I have one already that does well but does not take over the planet. I have chicken wire or stucco wire I could attach to the back of the greenhouse and plant one there, the water is nearby to put in a bubbler and I might use those 300 brick I got and build a patio there too. Nice place to sit in winter.
Linda

Thumbnail by curvesarein

curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2009
6:59 AM

Post #7252386

Another pic. Front, hope to put a dutch door in, a friend will give me a door, just have to see if I can cut it if it is solid wood. The top has window panes in diamonds. We hope to vent out the end of the gables on both sides, the roof line will be opposite to the shed next to it.

Thumbnail by curvesarein

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2009
11:12 AM

Post #7252478

That's great Linda. What types of plants do you plan to keep?'

Hap

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #7252603

Really looking good Linda!!! I know that you are getting excited!!!! How cold does it get where you live? Most people that put their GH in direct sun have to get a shade cloth to protect their plants from burning. So I would think yours will be just fine.
DanKistner
Winter Haven, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 19, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #7289443

I just got my greenhouse up. Boy was it a pain. But it is up and now I can start moving my plants in there for the winter.

Thumbnail by DanKistner

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #7289478

Nice GH, Dan...Is that a papaya to the left. I moved here 3 years ago from W. Palm Beach where I lived most of my life.
Tried to keep a banana plant in my GH but I killed it, some way. Sure miss some of those plants that almost grow wild down there.
DanKistner
Winter Haven, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 19, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #7289499

That is a papaya. I have banana trees all around the outside of my pool cage. I love that tropical look. In fact, tropicals are really the only plants I grow.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #7289666

Lookin' good, Dan.

Hap
DanKistner
Winter Haven, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 19, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #7289797

Thanks, i will post more pictures after I run power and water to it and load my plants up in there
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

November 19, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #7290338

When we retired and moved south to AR, I wanted a greenhouse for tender plants that couldn't stay outside. After much thought and discussion, we decided against a stand-alone, and settled for an attached one. It has been a joy indeed. We use it for housing our plants in winter, dining and entertaining in the summer, crafting, reading, and listeing to music (DH installed speakers.)

Thumbnail by JeanK

DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 19, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #7290350

Speakers for soothing music for the plants during winter ? *he he he*
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

November 19, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #7290370

DirtyGirl; Something like that. We leave them all alone, and a friend comes in and talks to them while we are in FL and tells them that their friends that I took to FL will be back to see them in the spring. If I have orchids in spike, we take them with us.

Thumbnail by JeanK

JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

November 19, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #7290383

Loved how all of the greenhouses were unique to each person's need. As I don't grow for resale, I have to limit myself to how much I keep inside.

Oops, sent the same picture twice -- shouldn't work on the computer while doing other things.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2009 3:22 PM

Thumbnail by JeanK

JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

November 19, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #7290414

Some of the plants spend the year inside and love it. This is my Christmas (turned Halloween) Cactus, plus a few others.

Thumbnail by JeanK

JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

November 19, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #7290467

'nother view.

Thumbnail by JeanK

JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

November 19, 2009
8:53 PM

Post #7290478

Last one.

Thumbnail by JeanK

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #7290503

I like it. If you have a spare bedroom I'll move down. ^_^

Dwight
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

November 19, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #7290528

Rentman. If you decide to come down, maybe you could bring your pick ax (aka Arkansas shovel) and do some outside work while you're at it. Love your "green" house and all of the improvements you have made to it. Love your wife's suggestion -- the color of money!

This message was edited Nov 19, 2009 6:32 PM
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #7290785

Now wait , I just want to set in your GH and talk to your plants. ^_^

Thumbnail by rentman

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #7290853

Wow Jean, that is lovely, I'm coming to visit, too, just to sit.
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

November 20, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #7292485

Thanks, Cathy. Sometimes if I don't have a project going, I just go out there and sit, too. I'm sure the plants would enjoy the company!
DanKistner
Winter Haven, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 20, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #7293270

I loaded up some of my potted plants yesterday. I think they will like it in there now.

Thumbnail by DanKistner

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #7293371

Oh Yes Dan, now it looks like a real, working GH
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

November 20, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #7293378

Looks great, Dan. Know your plants will be happy there.
DanKistner
Winter Haven, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 20, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #7293392

Thank you. I have a bunch of plants I need to pot up the babies and bring them in. So that if the cold gets any of them, I will at least have replacements.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #7295826

Looks so purdy! What is that beautiful plant to the back on the right? It has a big leaf with white markings. It looks like my kind of kid.

Hap
DanKistner
Winter Haven, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 22, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #7299284

I think the plant you are looking at is called philodendron gloriosum.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #7299489

Beautiful.
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2009
5:50 AM

Post #7347681

Jean,
Your greenhouse is awesome. I would love to have that. But settle for my less than $300 cottage greenhouse out of old windows. Temps have dropped here with the cold front moving from the Pacific so we had to insulate the roof and put bubble wrap up over the weekend to avoid a heater. I have geraniums, palms and succulents in there. Lost a couple Coleus, but one survived and I brought it in the house. If it doesn't work out as a greenhoue it makes a great playhouse or tea house for a warm day in the winter! All my friend kid me that it is just my playhouse. I can decorate any way I want out there. I have all my pics on the old window greenhouse thread which is getting quite long, but you can skip to new posts and back up to see them.

Thumbnail by curvesarein

JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

December 8, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #7348260

Curvesarein: Love your "playhouse." You are very creative with the way you have it decorated. I bought some coleus a couple of years ago and start cuttings every winter so they are ready to go outside when it gets warm. We have already had very low temps here in AR (one morning it was 19) so anything that was left outside in pots is toast now. I am anxious to see next spring if I have any hostas that survived the deer this past year -- they ate everything in sight.
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2009
5:24 AM

Post #7354450

Well it will be in the low 20's tonight. So you are not alone. But surprisingly I have marigolds coming up in the greenhouse. I thought they wouldn't come up until near Spring. Do you know at what temp it is too low for Coleus?
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

December 10, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #7354824

Curves: I don't know about Coleus, but anything that is tender like them usually doesn't survive if the temps get down to freezing. I don't know if they can survive if the temps dip down to freezing and then back up quickly. I know they won't survive what is called a "hard freeze" but I don't know the definition of hard freeze. I suspect it is temps below freezing for a certain amout of time.
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

December 16, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #7375285

We will get our first freeze to 32 this weekend. Almost everything is safely tucked away, just a few more to go. Hard to believe it will freeze when it was 81F yesterday and sauna-humid. Oh well, had to happen sometime this season LOL

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #7376615

It is just such a sad time for me!!!! I hate it!!! Heaven must be NO FREEZES!!!!!
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 17, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #7377811

jeri,
I just added a pint of hydrogen peroxide to the pond. Is that the right stuff and how much should I use?
fred
PS sorry this is off topic

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2009
4:23 AM

Post #7378930

Fred your' pond i is bigger than mine. I add a couple bottles, then a week later I add a couple more. My water has been crystal clear the whole summer with no filter.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #7400671

Just dropped by to view all of your lovely GH. They all look wonderful.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #7403896

Great greenhouses!

This is a home made green house made out of opaque fiberglass. The mid section has windows installed 360 degrees. Windows have screens and can open and close. Located in the back right of the garden, with the fence running on the right and aft of the structure. There are two green house doors that are glass screen doors, one in the front of the green house and one in the back. An old style free standing 1950's gas heater keeps it warm in the winter. To humidify the green house I put a large cattle drinking trough in the back of the green house which has a pond pump for circulation and minnows called mosquito fish (for that reason).
The green house is anchored with cement, rocks on the floor inside with adjustable wood shelving. The green house is very sturdy and weathers the Hurricanes better than other structures.
Since the green house is opaque fiber glass, I use it as a lighting feature, and have colored florescent light bulbs that illuminates it at night with a pleasant glow. The colors are changed through out the year.
From time to time, I put decorations on the front.
More photos here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/rjuddharrison/1826/

Rj

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #7404255

Love the GH and the yard. What a lovely tropical garden.One of those tree ferns is high on my hopeful list when the GH is finally a reality. Bad case of Zone Envy here.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #7404433

RJ that's a VERY nice setup!

Is the tree fern potted?

Ric
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #7404804

No, the fern is in the ground. I bought a few years ago at home depot...it was a Charlie Brown tree fern- scragly and small.
These are pictures of it. If you scroll to the bottom, and then go up...I was looking through them today and can't believe how small it was when I planted it.
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/rjuddharrison/6461/
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

December 29, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #7406703

RJ: Loved the greenhouse also pix of tree fern, as well as all of the others. Wonderful show!

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

December 31, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #7414258

I have orchids and carnivorous plants in my small greenhouse..mainly paphiopedilums. I feel in love with paph flowers and everythings moving out to make more room for them. hehe!
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

January 3, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #7423814

These are the times I am glad I have a GH. It got to about 26F last night. When I looked out the back sliding door at the thermometer at 7am that's what it said. It was 10am before it even reached 32F! And tonight is supposed to get even colder...probably around 22F! It went all the way til January for the first cold weather, and then it really let us have it. But its okay, I know my GH is saving the best of my collection. The yard is sustainable die-back perennial type tropical...that stuff comes back year after year. The GH is really tropical. But the drawback is the GH is always packed to the gills with large overwintering container plants in all the aisles in winter. Makes it hard to work out there
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2010
11:25 PM

Post #7428196

I hear ya!
We have an arctic blast headed this way, and my green house is becoming crammed- not to mention some of the potted stuff has made it's way into the house.
My only concern is the tree fern - I'll wrap it up like a mummy, and have a propane deck heater if it gets too bad. I've not had 3 nights in a row of freezing temps here since I've been gardening..so we'll see what happens.
good luck to ya!
rj
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

January 5, 2010
12:52 AM

Post #7428526

This is definitely record breaking weather for us. According to the local weather dudes, there have not ever been 2 nights of consecutive temps in the 20's since 1999. This is definitely the coldest it has been in the 18 years I have lived here. And its cold in the daytime too, hasn't been much over 50. It was 22 this morning and supposed to be 22 again tonight, then a BIG drop to about 17/18 tomorrow.
The FL freeze warnings are extending way down the peninsula into South FL as well. They are worried about all sorts of crops in Central and Southern FL...ferns, citrus, and the zoos are taking measures to protect the tropical animals as well.
This is really serious!

We are heading to Houston on the 15th to run the Houston Marathon on the 17th. I sure hope its a little warmer when we get there!!!

This message was edited Jan 4, 2010 7:53 PM
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2010
12:58 AM

Post #7428553

The way it's going, it won't be too much warmer, although it's better for marathons.
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

January 5, 2010
2:10 AM

Post #7428915

LOL my perfect marathon weather is to start between 45-50 and finish between 60-70. I hate cold running.
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7431272

Good luck! I admire you being able to do that, I cannot run a block! lol
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2010
9:15 PM

Post #7431551

that's why they have it in Jan here...usually the average temp this time of year is 64, perfect for running.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2010
9:16 PM

Post #7431554

Not this year, rj!

LOL

Hap
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2010
9:26 PM

Post #7431594

No, not this year :(
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

January 6, 2010
12:36 AM

Post #7432410

Well I got all kinds of running duds so I will prolly be okay. But with all the recent freeze activity I doubt I will see lots of good tropical plants on the route...just like here, all frozen and dormant.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2010
12:57 PM

Post #7433975

I don't have a greenhouse...yet...so everything is either in the house, or in the barn ( barn has insulation on all the walls and ceiling so it stays above freezing in there, or wrapped up in every extra horse blanket, sleeping bag , rug, blanket we can find. Other things are just mulched well and hoping for the best come spring. Down to 25 here...and frozen water pipes!
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

January 6, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #7435132

They filled my propane tank up this am while I was gone and left the bill sticking on the GH door. I am dreading going out to see how much it is.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #7435280

Maybe it will blow away in the cold north wind...
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #7435440

Yes everything here is burnt, fried and defoliated. While things may have recovered from that snow followed by a freeze, this next freeze may finish a lot of tropical plants off.
I'm hoping my tree fern will survive. I've wrapped the trunk up with seat cushions. Haven't put anything on the fronds yet as wind will probably blow it off.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #7435447

So sorry, rj...
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #7435467

As a Gardener, I knew this day would come!
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

January 7, 2010
3:16 AM

Post #7436855

they said on our local weather tonight that we have not had this sort of a string of cold as far down the FL oeninsula and for as long a time (nights in a row) since 1985

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7438849

and unfortunately we are in for more...
one way to keep covers on plants is when you wrap them hold them together with clothespins. I have an enormous Staghorn fern that we cover with lots of blankets and use the clothespins to keep it all snugged together.
rj...I'm with ya...big huge pipevine is crispy now...mulched deeply tho so should come back.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #7438962

The worst part is that it's rained. our low is 23F. Our last one like this wasn't as long ago, 1996. I hope my fern survives...it's going to get a heat pad tonight.
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

January 8, 2010
3:08 AM

Post #7440336

They are saying we may get rain tomorrow. This was our one big warm day of this cold event...the high was 59 and the low tonight...a balmy 35 or so. Tomorrow its back to the low 20's possibly teens for 3-4 more nights. They said we may possibly get snow flurries...or sleet. I am not certain how much longer I can stand this. When you aren't used to 'real' winter, this is very hard to deal with. I know someone from, say, Minnesota would just laugh right ion my face, but I can;t help it, I have never lived anywhere really cold, and I hate this.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #7440993

goth,
reminds me, I'm amazed at how well the Creeping Gloxinia is doing..still Green! So pretty hardy although I know your colder than I am. I've got one in the ground that's running up a tree and it's hanging in there! Another 2 in pots that are in the barn just in case but this seems to be a pretty tough vine.
NO we are not used to this, and I hate it too...
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 8, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7441132

Goth, I feel your pain, had my tank filled the other day, $265., but not as bad as when gas was almost $5. a gallon. I am sure you probably have a larger tank than I do. I think mine is 100 gallons. It usually last me all winter, but I have a feeling that will not be the case this year. I probably need to check on it and see how much it has already used.

I am really tired of this cold weather also. I had a YTT (yest,today,tomor.) that was blooming and now it is toast. I hope it will make it, it did last year, but we have had colder for longer this year. I am trying to protect it. My next house I hope to have a larger GH and plant some permanently like you did and then I won't have to worry about the cold.
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

January 8, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7441455

I spent 35 years in Northern Illinois, and believe me, when it gets cold in Florida, it's COLD!!!!! I never did get used to the winters up north and I am sure hating the winter in Florida so far. I have a lot of yard work to do before going back to AR but guess I can count myself lucky, they are having it worse there -- down to the single digits at night and only warming up to the 30s during the day. I had to leave all of my orchids back in the sunroom when we came down -- van was too full of other "stuff". My neighbor told me the other day that one of my favorites now has 10 blooms on it -- and I left several others in spike that should be blooming soon. Guess as soon as the weather warms up, I will have to take a trip to Lowe's and see what they have. LOL!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 8, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #7441699

Back to the original post...here is one of my GH

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 8, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7441706

and here is what is blooming today

orchid...anyone know what kind or name

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 8, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7441716

hibiscus

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 8, 2010

Post #7441719

coral medinilla

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 8, 2010

Post #7441725

phalenopsis

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 8, 2010
3:51 PM

Post #7441726

another... know name?...miltonia, perhaps?

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 8, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #7441727

maya blooming

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 8, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #7441729

another orchid

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 8, 2010

Post #7441735

and this gorgeous 'fluff'...looks like cotton candy

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

January 8, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #7441804

GAgirl: Can't help you out on the names. I am amateur, but the pictures are absolutely gorgeous!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7441834

I agree. Purdy!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7442573

GAgirl,
I believe the first Orchid is a Lady Slipper of some variety...
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2010
8:48 PM

Post #7442894

getting below zero again tonight, we've wrapped the greenhouse in another layer of plastic, on the outside this time. If the wind would just stop it would help. It is going to be fun trying to get back in to water. My cucumbers were blooming, I hope they make it.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #7444964

argh...we were 21F this morning... The next time I wake up to that I hope it's because I took a trip to Alaska.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7444990

Good Morning.

We never got that cold last night, just down to 46. It is still that now and dreary with rain. YUCK!!

Hap
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

January 9, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7445237

Sleet here in DeLand, but 36 degrees so it's melting, but a really miserable day.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #7445255

Stay safe Jean!!! I think our low was 21. I hope the nurseries all OK!!! Looks like there is gonna be a big need for new plants!!!!!
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

January 9, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7445285

Hope those Plant City strawberries are saved. Saw on the news the other day they were in danger of getting frozen. Even some of our WEEDS have been hurt by the cold! Just hope we don't have a power failure back in AR. Had to leave all of my orchids as well as other plants there. The worst is freezing rain that damages the power lines.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #7445719

Here in Deland/Deleon Springs it just stopped w/ the sleet/snow stuff. Holy Cow am I over it. I so hope I can get a greenhouse by next winter !
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

January 9, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7446125

I waited to go running this morning until it was 31F. That was at 10am. It's 2:35PM now, and its only 34F.

This is just ***almost*** the nastiest weather I can ever recall in my adult life. There have only ever been 2 other times like this that I can remember.

I heard its supposed to get to 34 tonight in Miami. They are running the Disney Marathon in Orlando tomorrow morning and it will be below freezing at the start. Bet there are a lot of disappointed out of area runners at that race!

The worse thing is I heard on the news last night that there may be a statewide Propane shortage unless Gov. Crist signs some special thing to allow the people who actually truck propane in to the places like FerrelGas and Heritage Propane, to allow those truckers to drive longer shifts. The demand statewide is so high that they can;t keep up with deliveries with their present daily driving hour cap.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #7446169

That really is bad. Something must be able to be done. Substitute drivers?

Hap
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2010
2:06 AM

Post #7447353

I'd send my SIL down, he's a driver with no work up here while the weather is so bad.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #7454482

Well, we decided to just "do it" ! We were looking on line at different greenhouse kits. A neighbor stopped by to see if we were crying over the plants and I told her we were looking at greenhouses and she mentioned a place right here in town that had some ( I didn't know that !!???) Anyway we went and looked and it's coming Thursday !!! Better yet, It's assembled, prep-wired, floored, 10x12 x 7'2, Polycarbonate panels and roof that have the UV protection. So I've got to hustle the next few days to prep the site ! D's SO . Course, It probably won't get cold for the rest of winter here in Central Florida now...
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

January 12, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #7454504

It's still a smart move to have a place you can stash stuff long term and know its safe. We didn't have a single place here in town that offered greenhouses or kits for many years. I ordered my first one, a Juliana, off the net years ago and assembled it myself at my old house. (THat was a real experience, LOL)

Now we have a Harbor Freight store and a place called Gardener's Edge that is a hydroponic store that's been here a long time that recently started offering greenhouses.

Mine is so crammed full of stuff right now right around the door, I have only been in there twice since the real cold started. I am going in today to check on everything and see if everything is okay
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #7454634

I remember a couple of years ago when Calif. had that terrible freeze. Many beautiful gardens were lost. We have some losses here and there from snow or ice damage. A friend just lost the top out of a Magnolia Tree that she has babied along for 5 years from the weight of the snow. But not anything like loosing your whole garden. I wonder what next spring will bring back to life and what won't.
mjs, I think you might have bought the same GH as a friend. It's nice they brought it in on a rollback all pre assembled and just dropped it in the yard. All she needed was a level site.
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

January 12, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #7454724

mjs: Right here in DeLand? That's interesting. Didn't know about that either. Where is it?

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #7454995

Jean you have D-mail
Holly,
That's right. Light sockets ( 150 watt) , light switch, outlet, ( with those waterproof covers) A row of shelves across the back and down both sides ( were going to add to these) Plenty of room to make a row of benches down the center, we will add our own exhaust fan, but the spot for it is there. They bring it in, roll it off, put it on the footers, level it, and anchor it. Boom done. We just felt that by the time we ordered one, put it together, bought the stuff that this came with, and this was much bigger we were getting a pretty decent deal. Oh, and 150 mph wind rating, something to think about here in Fla w/ hurricanes.
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

January 12, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #7455091

Nothing has brought DH and me closer to the brink of divorce than that "putting it together" stuff!!!!! How well I remember the two of us working on an addition to our house and the "words" we had each day. I'm sure the neighbors probably heard a few of them. It was probably good entertainment.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7455133

LOL!
Been THERE!

Ric
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #7455626

Jean, you're so right! My husband and I decided if we didn't divorce over the GH, we'd be together forever! Actually the big fight was over the cost, we didn't fight much when we put it up, that I remember... although building a greenhouse is like childbirth, you're so happy at the end of the process you forget what you went through!
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

January 12, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #7455636

LOL Jean and Henry it wouldn;t have been so bad but the Juliana's are made in Sweden. They did have directions included in a variety of languages for the assembly, but, the English directions were very short on words and mostly pictorial for some reason. And they would give the steps in such a fashion that if you didn't read the entire section, you were in for heartache, like "assemble piece X and piece Z by doing so and so, AFTER you have done THIS step..."

There were a whole lot of pieces so it was a comedy of errors of sorts
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7455742

I've had more than a few directions are like that.
We bought some really nice furniture w/ REALLY bad directions at IKEA ...
I found directions on line for them at a Forum.
Since then I get my Manuals online ... then if we have problems Search for other people who have been in the same boat.

We totally redid the backyard this Summer.
Boardwalks, Decks, 2 Ponds and a GH ... ALL DIY ALL pretty much on the fly w/ no master plan.
Trust me we know (as do the neighbors...) about 'Discussions'... LOL!

Ric
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

January 12, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7455767

My DH loves the cereal commercial that goes somewhat like this: He: picking up the cereal box. "I see this is low calorie. Are you trying to lose weight?" She: "Do you think I'm fat?" And so on until finally she asks "What else does the box say?" He: "Shut up, Steve." My DH always looks at me and says, "See?????" Guys and gals do seem to have different "think" patterns. They eventually get to the same place, but by different routes.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7455865

Henryr10, I'd love to see what all you did to your yard, could you post me a few links to look at? Ric and I did a lot of work 2 summers ago serious rock work. I was expecting to start in the back last summer but he had a serious hand injury that put him out of action for most of the summer. So I contented myself with a new flower bed. Something I could handle on my own. Hopefully we will get back on track and get the GH in this summer. Poor dear that first summer he no sooner finished one project than I had another waiting to start. LOL Holly
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #7455937

I'll send you over some links Holly.

In keeping w/ this Thread here's our rooftop GH we built this Fall.
It's 10' x 10' and currently double wall plastic covered.
We'll glaze it this coming Summer.
It replaces a Hoop House we had up there for years.
I can really get an interior shot as it's absolutely crammed w/ plants...lol!

The room below it we started rebuilding 2 years ago (had to beef it up to take the GH weight) and are just finishing up.
Just finished dry walling last week.
Winter got us before we could finish the siding on the street side.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #7455951

About 4 years ago we enclosed the front porch.
We thought that would be enough GH at 9' x 12' ... LOL!

It's double glazed w/ heat tempered glass we recycled... door was a recycle also.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

January 13, 2010
1:24 AM

Post #7456886

wow you have SNOW!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2010
3:14 AM

Post #7457198

Yes finally!
We got about 6" last week.
Just a dusting before that.

Thumbnail by henryr10

JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

January 13, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #7458003

Henryr, nice pictures. Hope you have some of the work you did last summer.
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
1:39 AM

Post #7459835

Henry, I love your house, it looks so pretty. I would love a sunroom. Our house is so dark I call it "The Cave"!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2010
2:17 AM

Post #7459932

Thanks!
Our house is actually quite dark also... not a Cave but not nearly enough windows.
So when we rebuilt the room under the Roof GH we added plenty of light.
The North wall is solid for insulation but the East and South will let in plenty of daylight in the Winter.

Here's a year ago as we're laying out the east facing bay window tile design.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2010
11:55 AM

Post #7460688

My greenhouse comes today I'm SO excited ! Planning on reviewing this thread lots for idea's ( assuming I have room in there to do anything once I put all the plants that are stashed in the barn and under benches covered with blankets in there !
whoooo hooooo !
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #7461004

Who says Christmas only comes once a year! LOL!
Enjoy!
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

January 14, 2010
2:28 PM

Post #7461034

You have a good day to work in your greenhouse -- we are finally getting a warm day! I know you are excited. When we got our sunroom in Hot Springs it seemed that they would never finish. Now all of my plants are back there and I would love to see what is going on. Left some orchids that were spiking, along with two tubs full of epis that were rooting. Our neigihbor takes care of them when we are away. Most of the time we take some of the orchids with us when we come down for the winter but this time the car was full of electronic stuff for a new computer DH was building down here. I wish we had a camera back home so I could peek at them periodically.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2010
11:26 AM

Post #7463657

Well, I spent the afternoon moving plants either back out side or into the greenhouse...
Took some pics, I still have a ton of plants to move back outside or to the greenhouse, this is just a drop in the bucket !
I was going to take a pic before putting in plants but the battery in the camera was dead. Do I went ahead and got started...sorting plants by what could go back out side and what I wanted in the greenhouse.
First pic is the front. We put it near this maple, and there are oaks nearby, to help provide shade during the summer.
There's windows on each long side with screen that I can put up/down, plus with door on the front, and we'll put an exhaust fan in the top center gable. Light switch is just inside the door to the left, and outlets are in the center wall left. Light fixture center top. All waterproofed.

Thumbnail by mjsponies

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #7463665

this is the right back corner, I'm using one of those wire racks you clip together for a temporary bench till I can get in to town. I'm going to get a few of the heavy duty plastic shelving units that have the holes in them, and instead of assembling them full height, make them half height, then they should fit right down the middle to make a long row of benches. We're also going to add some extra shelves at some point and some low benches underneath the shelves.

Thumbnail by mjsponies

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #7463681

This is the left back corner, it's more under the maple tree, so gets more shade, later in the day the whole greenhouse is in more sun, but in the summer, it will get more shade. I'm may train a vine up the inside on the southwest side to help shade it and get I think some of that white shadecloth that reflects the heat away. Between the windows, screendoor, and exhaust and trees, I think it will stay good in there for propagating, and keeping the butterflies off my baby passionflowers.
Later on when we can move more plants back outside I will "play" more.

Thumbnail by mjsponies

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2010

Post #7463711

Congrats!!!! That is an excellent GH!!! They delivered it yesterday complete with waterproof fixtures? You did well on that one. It looks like it will last a long time!!!! I wish you many happy hours of gardening!!!!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #7463759

Yup, pre- wired, and all with the conduit, light switch, outlet cover, are all the water/weather proof covers, they set it, leveled it, anchored it ( wind rating 150mph) .all we have to do is run the electric from the barn to the greenhouse and we have a friend who works for a power company that is going to come up and help us do that. Water is already only 10 feet away as we have a couple of run in sheds for the horses to the right of the greenhouse. I'll be headed out there in a bit to work on finishing up moving plants in.
mj...doin the happy dance.../\./\./\./\...
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

January 15, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #7463762

Love your new playhouse!!!!!! Looks like a wise choice. They really did a fast job of setting everything up and getting you ready to go!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2010

Post #7463775

haha, that's what D's SO says. A "big girls" play house...actually, I do sell a few plants and seeds as a little side business to my horse boarding and riding lessons, two passions I have...so it will be a big help, and we won't have to go thru so much of the grief in the winter and he can put his car back in the big barn. ( he's happy about that)...

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2010
1:29 PM

Post #7463844

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!!

You are going to be shocked on how fast it fills up. Enjoy.

Hap
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7464012

Very Nice!
I really like the full wired aspect!
What brand is it?

Ric
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7464490

It looks great! I love the visibility through the walls.
DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2010
2:22 AM

Post #7465829

gotta ask. . . where did you order such a neat GH?? I don't need one that big... more of a lean-to out back, maybe leaning against the back of the house or something. What is the material the walls are made of.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2010
2:56 AM

Post #7465917

Mjs, Looks great how very nice to have a GH and without a lot of fuss just roll in and there she is. Mine will be much more labor intensive. LOL Plants look pretty happy already.
Henryr10, Nice looking sun room. I will be interested in seeing your GH when it is finished.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2010
3:24 AM

Post #7465983

I purchased it right here in town. But it's made by Larkbuilders...
Here's the link..
http://www.larkbuilders.com/greenhouse.html

.there's a spot to look for a dealer.
It really did take a lot of the "headache" out of it. They use "Suntuf" Polycarbonate panels by Palram which comes with a pretty good warranty.
I'll try to take more pictures soon, but it's filling up fast ! We still have to "customize" shelves, adding to what's there, but it beats the heck out of trying to put one together and then still having to do all that. All in all we by the time you do all that yourself and have to purchase the add-on's we didn't end up spending that much more.
DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2010
4:28 AM

Post #7466149

thank you...we actually have a dealer right here in Brandon too!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2010
2:41 PM

Post #7466863

I have to say as far as pre-fab green houses go, that is very nifty. Love that it has shades..seems well thought out, and seems like you could put some light extra shelving, on the shelfs if needed for seed trays. I like!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #7467126

how exciting, I know you will love it...

One suggestion I would change your solid shelving out to slotted so the water can run through.

Janet

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #7469442

That was my first thought on the shelving also when we were looking at it. I had the guy at the dealership get a bucket of water and we dumped water on the shelves and floor, there's enough gaps that it runs thru. The "wood" is that artifical lumber that will never rot. I was familar with it cause they started using it in horse trailer floors some years ago. Any new benches or shelves we put in will be slotted tho. We're putting a screen door on also. That way I can keep the solid door open in summer but keep other things out ! Friday morning it was about 45º outside and was 55 in the greenhouse, without any additional heating.(don't have the electric hooked up yet) During the day I've been opening the windows and doors and be just a little warmer than outside temp. Know I'll need the exhaust fan for summer but that's also one reason we put it where it will get shade during the hottest part of the day.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7470195

Oh totally forgot about that new stuff... not that it really is new anymore...LOL

That is good idea using that, I've got a hoop house that I'll be putting up in March and this is a reminder to get some of that product to use inside mine.

Janet
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 18, 2010
1:24 AM

Post #7471403

I wonder about all that galvanized steel rusting after a while. I mean a greenhouse is full of moisture. In their ad they say everything is warranted by the manufacturer of the raw materials. Who made the steel? What happens if it rusts?

fred

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7472593

We used galvanized steel brackets for mounting mirrors on pressure treated lumber in our riding arena over 15 years ago...
The brackets and posts are in better shape the the mirrors and frames now. No rust on the mirrors and they most definitely are exposed to the weather. I guess sometime down the road it may be an issue, but I weighed that again aluminum ( which I've had lots of issues with around the farm) and I was more worried about the wind rating.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #7472708

18 gauge G-90 galvanized steel is the same steel used in hurricane strapping.
It's also what we have in the brackets holding our deck together.
I don't see rust being a big issue there.
Plus the company who manufactured it has been in business for almost 50 years...
sounds like they know what they are doing.

That is a VERY nice looking GH!

Ric

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2010
3:34 AM

Post #7475062

Boy I just escaped by the grace of God the other night when our temperature was 25 degrees F. and the electricity went out at 1:00 AM. Luckily it only stayed out for little over a hour. I've said I was gonna have an alternative source of heat but have no idea what is the most economical and emits the less odors to harm the plants. Any recommendations?
C_Squared
Midland, GA

January 19, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7476625

My DH is building a 16X16 GH. I am thinking about investing in solar panels as energy source. Can anyone recommend website?
Thanks.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7476641

HI,

I have solar heating for my pool, but they are solid black. The company is Heliocol . Perhaps they would have something you could use. I am very happy with our system which is new since Hurricane Wilma. (The other one landed somewhere in the Bahamas. LOL)

Good luck.

Hap
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7482487

I have gas heating for the house, so...I ran a gas line to the green house, and have a small 1950's gas heater..works wonderfully
arthagar
Glen Rose, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #7505481

Here is my modified Harbor Freight 10x12 greenhouse, that is now 12x18. Note the metal on part of the roof. 40mph + winds just love Harbor Freight greenhouses and their little wire clips to hold the (fast browning) plastic panels in. And this was after using over 30 tubes of clear silicone from “Wally World” in an effort to keep the panels from flying out. Also note the 2x6 angled brace stuck in the ground. This has saved the greenhouse several times from strong northwesterly winds.

I am attempting to heat and cool the greenhouse using wind and solar. I built the white colored solar electric panels from 3x6 inch cells (plan on building three more soon) I purchased on Ebay. I am on the ladder installing a 3 phase wind turbine. I purchased the motor and blades then built the rest. I have eight deep cycle batteries in an array to supply power when the wind isn’t blowing or it is dark.

Thumbnail by arthagar

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7505585

Supper set up you have Arthur (?)
I would love to see some of your plans of building the solar and wind equipment.

Great work and a wonderful program you have going, Dwight
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7505799

I also like the opaque panels..they work really well, without worrying about burning

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #7505839

What a job...it's wonderful.

Hap

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2010
3:43 AM

Post #7507426

Really like your alterations!!!
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2010
3:48 AM

Post #7507445

Great! I'd like to hear more about the solar and the wind. What do they tie into?

What is in the pen?
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2010
3:50 AM

Post #7507452

I want to know, too. I tried a solar water heating set-up to get hotter water in my barrels, but we've had almost no sun this entire winter. Hmmm, doesn't work very good that way. We have had lots of wind.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
3:58 AM

Post #7507482

Very nice set up. We have a passive solar home with an active solar hot water system. The hot water system has been down for repairs for a while now but we would like to get it back up again and also look into a photovoltaic system for the electric. I too would love to hear more about your system and how it is working.
jhowdy
Mayo, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2010
3:01 AM

Post #7537185

My new greenhouse arrived today. I went the same route as mjsponies opting for the pre-manufactured Lark model since I already own a 12x36 storage building manufactured by Lark and have been very pleased with the construction. My greenhouse 12X8 and I opted to skip the flooring option since I'm not sure if I want a floor or not yet. The best part with the Lark is the same as cash/interest free financing for one year. I love using other people's money instead of mine!

As the temps drop into the low 30's tonight here in N. Florida my living room "finally" doesn't look like a nursery for once, not that I think there is anything wrong with that ;). Most everything is snug in the greenhouse tonight.

Thumbnail by jhowdy

JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

February 7, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7538135

[quote="GAgirl1066"]phalenopsis[/quote]

Hi GAgirl: Do you know the name of the phalenopsis in the picture? I just bought one but no name on it.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7538238

jhowdy,
I think you'll be very happy with the Lark. Great construction, with all the basic,( and in my opinion PIA things done for you, electric etc). And you can customize, add shelves etc. We're putting a planter by the doors, and I'm going to build a little "patio" by the front, plantings all around the outside. I love it !
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2010
3:00 AM

Post #7540251

jhowdy, How nice, those look like really nice GH's.
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2010
4:54 AM

Post #7540509

Really nice! I don't remember if anyone mentioned the cost? How cool is it that they arrive just like that, no installation needed!
jhowdy
Mayo, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2010
1:33 AM

Post #7543253

mjsponies,
I like the ideas you plan for your greenhouse. My is facing my butterfly garden, 14 bird feeders/feeding platforms and three birdbaths I maintain in that corner of my yard. It's my little Utopia! Here is a pic of a visitor that stopped by to check-out my new GH. First time I have ever seen an Oriole in my yard or in "person" for that matter. Took a quick bath and hung around for 10 minutes and was gone.

lakesidecallas,
The price is dependent on the size and options one selects. As an example mine came standard pre-wired with one center light fixture, one double outlet and switch (waterproof) and metal frames shelf around 3 walls with plywood tops. For my 8 x 12 delivered and set-up I paid $1800 + tax. A 8 X10 is $1600 and a 12 X 16 was $2400 at the dealer I traded with. With the no down payment, 0 interest option for 1 year, I couldn't build one as cheap using the metal gauge framing. Also, these are legally portable building (+ no permits needed in my area) so I can move it anywhere I need it in the future. It is built on 2 large runners so it can be rolled or loaded on a trailer and moved. It actually can be repositioned summer/winter if you really wanted to maximize/reduce your sun exposure. Other than making accommodations for any permanent water and electrical connections there is not much to moving it.

Thumbnail by jhowdy

lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2010
2:16 AM

Post #7543366

thanks, jhowdy, seems to be well worth the price! That's great that it can be easily moved, the only GH I've heard or seen that can be moved like that.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #7544065

lakesidecallas,
I think Lark builders had a great idea. They build sheds. They took their shed frame, and built a greenhouse on it. That's why they have such great wind resistance. There's lots of options,
here's their website...
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #7547684

Where? LOL!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7547924

I was just sitting here thinking if I had my Greenhouse up I would have a good 3ft or more of snow piled up around the sides with snow comming off the roof and drifts I could see it being a lot higher than 3ft. Wouldn't my "Dream" Tropical Garden look great with a wall of snow behind it? Holly

This message was edited Feb 10, 2010 12:18 PM
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7547928

lakesidecallas, if your interested, Goggle lark builders or click below.

http://www.larkbuilders.com/models.html

This message was edited Feb 10, 2010 11:55 AM

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #7548081

Holly, that does not sound pretty!

Hap

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2010
11:28 PM

Post #7549013

opps, it was a blonde gray moment...

http://www.larkbuilders.com

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2010
11:58 PM

Post #7549103

WE ARE ALWAYS BLOND!!!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2010
12:18 AM

Post #7549164

haha...yeah, at least now I can blame it partly on getting older...so the blond/gray...before it was just blond.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2010
12:29 AM

Post #7549199

Oh the snow is beautiful. Very inconvenient and down right dangerous but beautiful. I have an old pic somewhere in my files of my Bougainvillea in flower with a snowcovered yard in the background.
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #7551677

Thanks for the link!
No dealers close to me, unfortunately.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2010
1:36 AM

Post #7565386

haha...well, it's not empty anymore !!!!
filled up and I still have plants in the house and the barn !

Thumbnail by mjsponies

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
1:42 AM

Post #7565402

That is so pretty!
jhowdy
Mayo, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2010
2:16 AM

Post #7565480

Looks great mjsponies. Everything in mine is still under wraps...sub 30's for the rest of the week up this way.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2010
2:39 AM

Post #7565537

That really does look nice.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #7566082

jhowdy, yup, I'm over it with the cold. I want Florida back ! Hard frosts light freeze last couple of mornings again. Finally this weekend we're supposed to have overnight temps above the 30's. I've got new growth peeking out of a lot of stuff, so went around with a bunch of mulch an made little mounds that I can pull back or push up around the base of plants depending on the temps.
Everything in the greenhouse seems really happy tho, and Datura's Salvia's , Purple Firespike are starting to bloom.( I think the firespike is confused not supposed to bloom yet) We can keep it at around 50 at night with the heater and a clip on circulating fan moves the warm air around.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2010
1:16 PM

Post #7566237

That's it...never thought of it before, (or had to). I'll put a greenhouse over my whole yard. That'll do it. Thanks for this thread. Now, any suggestions where I can get a million dollars for the GH and upkeep?

Hap

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2010
1:27 PM

Post #7566261

buy lot's of lottery tickets ???????, then share with me. ;-)

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7566300

But, heard a wild story that you had to buy tickets to win. Tickets are bought about once a year here. That seriously reduces a chance of win, wouldn't you say?
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #7566409

Wife told her husband, "If we win the lotto I'm going to leave."
Husband buys a ticket and wins $6, comes home, hands his wife $3 and says GOOD BY ^^_^^

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #7566423

ROTFLMBO!!!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7566565

LOL!
LOVE IT!

Ric
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7566658

LOL, That is good.
Happy, My daughter just got back from Ft. Lauderdale. She had the nicest getaway. Don't think it was quite the tropical getaway what they were expecting when they made arrangements months ago but they really had a good time. I was to pick her up at the airport and she called and said don't bother coming to get us we are staying. LOL
Yes, We too do the occasional ticket buy it does reduce your chances but it only takes one ticket to win. Holly

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2010

Post #7566700

Yes, Holly, no matter how cold or stormy, it beats Rochester, NY where I am from. (Except for the hurricanes)

Hap
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #7566832

Went out to my GH this AM to start more seeds, peppers.
Now and hen I hear the sound of snow sliding off the roof, but out of the corner of my eye I caught a movement.
WOOO do I have a varment in here ? Well I sat still for a minute and then saw this...
Well I have no idea how he got in, I guess he drinks water from the trays I have the plants sitting in.
I ground up some rabbit pellets for him, don't know what he eats.
Can any one ID this bird ? Sparrow, Chickadee ?

Thumbnail by rentman

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7566929

Found out it's a Carolina Wren
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7566933

I was thinking wren from the shape, fairly young one from the coloring.
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2010
3:09 AM

Post #7568263

What a cutie. One of my favorites. You can always tell wrens by the way they hold their tail up. Poor little thing.

Mjsponies, your greenhouse looks great!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2010
10:26 AM

Post #7568797

awwww, rentman, buy her a bag of wild bird seed !
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2010
12:42 PM

Post #7568907

I let her out yesterday, she was flying around the top of the GH so I opened 2 of the vent windows and she was out.
Still don't know how it got in but she was not real frighten of me. She was very inquisitive, checking out every little place. Wrins are mainly insects eaters so maybe she was after the few ants and nats.
I must clean the Pooo she put on my chair and a few other places, not a big price to pay for the experience.

Thumbnail by rentman

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #7569121

Cute!
Since they eat insects and spiders it might be a nice one to have over for weekend visits.
They don't do well w/ cold and used to be rare this far north.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7569275

I think I know how he got in. I cut a hole through a concrete brick wall to run the drain from the sink, well the hole, at the bottom is much larger than it need to be, I plugged it with a plastic bag but I think I will remove the bag and see if he comes back. Hope he does not bring a lot of friends with him. ^^_^^

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2010
7:39 PM

Post #7569824

OH...what a wonderful bird house this is... I'm going to tell all my friends...

COME ON, GANG!!!!!
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2010
8:18 PM

Post #7569884

OK , Happy, I have a townhouse in West Palm and will be coming down in March and if I find any Florida Birds up here, I will drive down and have a talk with you...^^_^^
Have you guys warmed up down there yet ?
Here is a tree full of white blooms , well I like to think of them as flowers.
As the snow slowly melts here I tell my wife, 'Look the grass is growing' as the grass slowly shows about the snow.

Thumbnail by rentman

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2010
11:26 PM

Post #7570303

Wrens, like structures and are generally friendly and do well in close proximity to people. I have one that builds it's nest in my potting shed every year She flies in and out right over my head while she is building the nest and scolds me if she wants me to move. LOL

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2010
11:46 PM

Post #7570353

rentman,

Is that a relative of the Orange Blossom bush. (Philadelphia etc.)?

If you want to come down to Sunrise when you are in WPB dmail me and we can compare notes.

Hap
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2010
2:15 AM

Post #7570652

Hay Hap, I would like to meet you and will contact you when I come down.

Dwight

Holl Ann I will be looking for the Wrin

This message was edited Feb 18, 2010 9:17 PM

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2010
1:45 PM

Post #7571312

Great.
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #7586114

Mjsponies,
Your greenhouse is beautiful!!!!! I understand not having enough room, mine is only six by 8.

Thumbnail by curvesarein

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #7586374

curves, thanks I loveeeeeeeeeee my greenhouse. ;-))))))))))))
and I love how you've decorated around yours...that's on my project list !
smackinsam
Norman, OK

March 28, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7661945

I've had wrens nest in my garage in the same nest for several years in a row, then when I built my greenhouse, I stuck a nest box (on sale in the fall) on a high shelf for the winter meaning to put it up outside the next summer. Of course, I never got around to moving it and lucky thing -- I found 5 babies fledging in the greenhouse and 1still in the nest box which was right beside the greenhouse fan!~ Mom and dad loudly scolded me each time I entered the greenhouse while the babies were fledging but never made a fuss before the babies were out of the nest box.

I've watched a male busily taking twigs, etc. to 2 or 3 nests and wondered what he was doing, so I looked it up and found out that wren males make several nests and the female chooses which one she wants. Then she proceeds to re-construct it to her satisfaction.

Here's a photo of one of the babies who got between some loose winter plastic insulation and a greenhouse window. I lifted the plastic and let him out after taking his picture.

Oh yea, my aunt has a BBQ grill on her patio and found wrens nesting in the little tin can that you hook onto the bottom of the grill to catch dripping grease ! She had to wait until the babies were all fledged before she could cook out that summer! Wrens are fun to watch!

This message was edited Mar 28, 2010 11:15 AM

Thumbnail by smackinsam

lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7661978

What a cute little baby! I just love wrens.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2010
12:23 PM

Post #7662348

What a sweetheart and I mean you!! Took good care of them babies...

Hap
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

April 3, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7676571

Ha! Sounds like wrens have human habits. Can just imagine the male asking the female, "Which house do you wish, my dear?" And after she chooses, she does some rearranging! And he goes away grumbling, "Whatever I do, it never suits her." We had the same predicament in our grill several years ago. Wrens made nest in the same place, so it was wait until they fledged to BBQ! Nobody wants roasted wren.
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 16, 2010
1:20 PM

Post #7973402

Ok, I followed MJSPONIES path by ordering a 12w x 24l x 8h (walls) greenhouse from Lark shed builders. This is a steel building stronger then a typical shed and meets hurricane guidelines with the heavy polycarbonate panels screwed into the metal. My hassle was to avoid the extreme heat and light coming through a clear roof. The company will special order a batch of translucent Opal (white) Poly panels for the roof which will have four clear sections interspersed. The opal will only transmit only 40-45% light but the clear walls it should give me plenty of light. The clear panels are rathed at 90% and I wish there was something in the middle around 60-70% but maybe my mix of clear and Opal will give me the correct light mix.

Now, for any of greenhouse owners, I'd like some advice or improvements to my choices if you have any. The unit is not yet built and I can still make changes. I have a temperture controlled 24" louvered fan in one of the eaves and an electrically operated louver on the other side. These things are supposed to operate in conjunction with one another. I also have 5 screened windows which open half way for additional airflow. One regular 80" door with windows and one solid roll up door (7x8). In the ceiling I have places for two circular fans and three lights. There are also 5 electrical outlets in the walls. There are no shelves as I will buy these locally to suit. The floor is made from recycled plastic and will have 1/4 in spacing between the boards for water drainage. And that's about it.

My use for this greenhouse will be for the winter months as I don't want to have to go through a similar one as we had last year with the house full of plants. I have exotic rainforest type palms wich are just now recovering from even a hint of cold weather. They are in pots behind my pool and need a place during the 3 cold months of the year. Then there are my orchids. I want to move them just once this time around.

A catalog version of the shed/geenhouse can be seen at: http://larkbuilders.com/greenhouse.php

If anybody can think of any suggestions, please let me know
Fred

This message was edited Jul 16, 2010 3:25 PM

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7973658

Hey Fred !
I was just thinking of you the other day ! We're planning on adding adjustable wire shelving, and we were Lowe's looking for "something". I'm actually thinking of driving over to Apopka and seeing what I can find over there since there are so many suppliers over there.
Keep us posted !
mj
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2010
4:11 AM

Post #7974806

Sounds like a good plan, Fred. My only addition would be more windows.
My SIL and I built my GH using recycled wooden windows on the sides and did not think to install them so I could opes some of them.
See pic above Post #7179310
I have 2 paddle fans 52" and a 20" fan in the gable and 5 vents, 6"x12" each side 12" off the floor. An it still gets over 100 some summer days. I know you said the main use would be winter but think about summer time also.
I now have installed tarps that cover most of the roof that can be rolled up out of the way for winter time.
They cut down on light but it's all a trade off.
Also you might think of an entrance door wide enough to roll a garden cart through, that is my next project.
Here is a pic of my corn, taken last week.
Hope this helps Dwight
P.S. I moved to KY 4 years ago from W. Palm Beach where I lived most of my life.

Thumbnail by rentman

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2010
4:13 AM

Post #7974812

Dwight - you would never get corn that looks like that in Florida !

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #7974966

Hi Fred. Sounds like you are going to be in good shape for winter. If I did that, it would never go under 90 all winter! LOL

Anyway. I have seen a number of people use restaurant shelving that is used in the storerooms and walk-ins. The shelves are adjustable and the come in 12-18-24' widths. They are not cheap, but last. If you have a Restaurant Depot near you that would be the way to go.

Keep us posted on your progress. Where are you going to put it? Back by the 'garage/barn/out-building?

Hi to Ms. M.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #7974971

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=restaurant+shelving&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&cid=8131371968433893991&ei=jqZBTMemD4OW2QSP8eDQCA&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

This is what I am referring to. Metro is about the best.

Hap
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 17, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #7975107

I'm off to see what one of these glass sheds actually looks like. The shed dealer was so enamored by my order that he wants to sell them to others and just got himself a display sample. I'll take pictures. The shed dealers don't really know a thing about plants and greenhouses. They have no idea that they are letting a lot of business go by the side by not learning more about our hobby. My guy in Punta Gorda seems to have learned the lesson rather quickly. It's a 55 mile drive to the closest Lark dealer.
fred
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #7975185

The corn is called Kandy Korn, may have some ready to pick next week.
I have rabbits and my garden gets their POO ^^_^^
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2010
7:48 AM

Post #7975267

This is my Korn this AM after a storm last night. I don't think I can save it, most of the roots are broken.
So we will eat immature corn tonight.

Life is NOT a bowl of cherries --It's more like a jar of Jalapenos...
Check this site :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4j_9IQ6wzk

This message was edited Jul 17, 2010 9:58 AM

Thumbnail by rentman

fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 17, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7976818

rentman, my intent is not to grow things in the greenhouse during the summer months. I'll test the situtation of course but as I said this is more for cold protection while providing light. I take my phals into our sunroom but the hassle of watering inside is just too much as is carrying them in and out. The other orchids I only take inside when it's really cold but I know they are not happy in the 40s either.

You mentioned more windows. I have five regular sized windows plus two doors and the vents. I think that'll do for the winter.

The door is a 7' x 8' rollup door and should also be big enough to carry my palms inside. Here's a picture of the door in a regular shed made out of steel studs just like the greenhouse and with 8' sidewalls.

Thumbnail by fredrump

fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 17, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7976832

the greenhouse is a sample and rather small with shelves which I do not want. Mine is much larger and will come with a build-in floor.

Thumbnail by fredrump

fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 17, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7976835

some more views follow

Thumbnail by fredrump

fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 17, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7976840

I hope this shows what these things will look like

Thumbnail by fredrump

fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 17, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7976853

my unit will have a different shade roof and we ordered green trim as seen in the picture.

And Hap, the greenhouse will go in the rear right of our property where the nice lawn is. I was at the county offices the other day attempting to get a permit. They have no staff left and after three hours I was finally getting ready for the actual permit when they told me I'd have to place the shed starting at 30 feet from the fence line. New rules. I remembered that it was 10' and had designed it to be installed there. The way they want it place in the middle of the long part of 2.5 acres would have in smack in the middle of my driveway. I basically walked out of the place and they are less my permit fees and can lay off some more people. Stupid rules need to be ignored.

Fred

Thumbnail by fredrump

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2010
4:57 AM

Post #7977293

fred, is it your just your local ordinances? Since it's not a "permanent"structure I'd think it wouldn't be a problem. Another reason tho, I live on 11 acre's, can barely see the next door neighbor's thru the woods, not that they would be a problem as everyone out here is rather "user friendly'. Anyhow, it's pretty hard to get something too close to someone else's house.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #7977474

Boy, I would just move it over when the inspectors came. hehe...I know, too big. Ms. M. looks good.

Hap
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 18, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #7977805

county ordinances but like you we have lots of space and complete privacy. I was trying to be a good citizen and get a permit but when the law gets stupid, people tend to ignore it.
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #8023729

OK, the new greenhouse has been delivered to the dealer and tonight I couldn't wait anymore and drove the 50 miles to see it. Actually I was wondering if they got it straight and built what I wanted. Here's a shot of my baby siiting lonely in the lot

Thumbnail by fredrump

fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #8023731

left inside

Thumbnail by fredrump

fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #8023738

right inside. The roof is only clear for two strips and I probably shouldn't have done that. The white poly gives plenty of light but I didn't know and the manufacturer had never built anything but clear. I will probably cover the clear strips with poly from HD.

Thumbnail by fredrump

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #8024000

Congrats Fred that is gorgeous!!!! I know you spend many happy hours in there.

Jeri

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2010
3:31 AM

Post #8024349

woooooooo hooooooo Fred, LOL, wait till you see how fast you fill it up !
have fun !

mj
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2010
3:40 AM

Post #8024353

I agree, that's a nice one.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #8024620

Were you having trouble with the placement? What did you do?
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 7, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #8024909

Jeri, you mean county code thing? Ignored it. Laws that are stupid beg to be ignored. The county planners simply assume that anybody with a large lot must have plenty of space to put anything at least 30 feet from the fence line. That one may have driveways, structures and landscaping in the middle of one's property has not sunk in yet. The rules used to be 10' then somebody came up with the bright idea to set 30' on the side and 75' from the rear even though my shed/greenhouse is mobile and not built on a concrete foundation.
Fred

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2010
12:15 PM

Post #8025130

You are right!!! I know you will fill that baby up in no time!!! Enjoy!!!!
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 7, 2010
1:11 PM

Post #8025211

But Jeri,
it's too hot here (the sun is overhead) to use as a normal greenhouse. So filling up is not in the picture. I will move my orchids (after I transplant them sometime soon) in there when it gets cold outside at night. I have a floor made out of plastic wood or whatever that recycled stuff really is which has space between each board so that I can mist and water as needed without moving the plants in and out of our sunroom every few days. That got to a chore last year.

Mostly I needed something to store my palms during a cold spell as they have big pots and large leaves and don't even want to think about cold weather. One of my licuala grandis palms is just now coming back with new growth but the older leaves which didn't die off completely still look like hell at the edges. These palms are very expensive and I really don't wish to lose them but storing them in the bedroom or sunroom is not in the picture. :-)

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #8025485

Things have been so crazy here this summer that I didn't even move anything out of mine. I put fans in and raised the vents. I grow hoyas and they love the heat. LOL!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #8025621

Fred, That looks great. I thought it was funny when I first saw people from Fl. posting pics of their GH up North we don't generally think of you needing them. But then I realized that you really can and have gotten some nasty cold weather from time to time. I like the big door that will make it easy to move in some good sized plants. LOL on the inspectors we were down to the NewPortRichey area earlier this summer. My FIL had surgery and while we were taking care of hime we also tried to clear up some issues for my FIL who had a fire last year they have some really stupid regulations.
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 8, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #8026410

Holly, we live in a sub-tropical climate but try to make it pure tropical with our fancy and fussy plants from regions of Central America and elsewhere where no freeze has ever been seen. The plants react with horror at any length of such torture. I lost half of my croton collection last winter and I loved the various colors so much. Turns out that certain varieties are much fussier then others but how is one to know.

On our recent trip to Costa Rica, a native habitat of so much tropical flora, we saw fields of crotons just growing in the wild.

Thumbnail by fredrump

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #8026719

Oh yeah we can get freezes...I'm farther north than fred, and if I'm going to plan on leaving it in the ground, I look for zone 8b-9a plants and still sometimes hope for the best ! Otherwise, back up cuttings, or it lives in a pot. Many things didn't come back till June ! this year, and are way behind where they should be by now.
I have a smaller version of fred's greenhouse, and it's not big enough, so still will be lugging some things inside the barn or house, or praying for a "normal" 9b winter. I even use mine in summer for starting cuttings, and other's that don't like the variable weather we can get here in summer, hot dry windy, hot humind rainy, hot dry still, just plain hot and NO rain...you get the picture. There's a saying here...just give it 5 minutes, the weather will change.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2010
10:36 AM

Post #8026730

LOL!!! I thought that was La.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2010

Post #8027395

WOW Fred, What a shot, love the crotons I only have one but hope to pick up another later on. I remember reading a book based in the tropics and it described a house with a croton hedge. I think that would be just beautiful.
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 8, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #8027894

Holly in CR they stick stuff in the ground and it grows. The hedges on the side of the roads were all planted as sticks. They then grow with trimming into thick hedges.

Thumbnail by fredrump

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #8027935

I have long wanted to go to CR. I was going to join a group of divers for a Dive Trip there several years ago but decided I couldn't make it. Lucky I did as the trip turned into a mess with some really bad weather and the diving was either canceled or bad. Still I would love to try a trip again.
I love when I come down to Fl. and see plants that I only grow in pots growing in their full glory.
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 11, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #8034620

OK, last picture on this humongous thread and almost 10,000 views

My baby has arrived

Thumbnail by fredrump

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2010

Post #8035104

Yeah Fred !!!! I think you'll be very happy with it. !
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2010
9:25 AM

Post #8035523

Wow, that is a beauty!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8572242

So now that I've moved to Bradenton, I really wondering why it is that yall need greenhouses???? but then it has been 30+ years since living in FL in the winter so maybe it does get cold enough to need one.

Any updated pics of your greenhouse and how it is doing today, that you care to share???

Jan

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2011

Post #8572656

Jan, If we continue to have winter's like we have had in the last 3 years...YOU'LL NEED YOUR GREENHOUSE. !
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8572659

We still don't have ours up. We have had so much rain that we are pressed to get everything done when things dry up. I will post pics when we do.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2011
8:31 PM

Post #8574981

I know from talking with dad that this year 2010 there were some frosted nights here. I'm just so happy to be away from up north and enjoying the heat, although since we arrived it really hasn't been too bad, well not what I was thinking I would have to get use to, folks keep saying oh just wait it will be very hot and I'll be crying for the north, but this is one Floridian who is happy to be back in the heat. LOL

I had a 15 foot hoop house up north now you are making me regret leaving it behind...

Jan

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2011
2:38 AM

Post #8575147

Jan,
These last two winters are two of the coldest I can remember since moving here in 1978. We had multiple nights in the lower 20's and 2009/2010 winter upper teens ! Yup, that hoop house might have come in handy.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8576229

oh no... but I now know how to make a really cheap one using pvc so should it get that cold again I can run out and pick some up. I hope for all our sakes we have warmer than those temp winters from now on...LOL

Jan

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8773937

Here's mine! Just a little guy. Most of yours are bigger than my house! Lol

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8773942

*knock*knock* come in!

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8773948

Biker trash=weed free flooring. Before this it looked like i was starting a sumac nursery. Lol

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8773950

After the overhaul, before i moved everyone back in. Wow it was roomy in there!

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8773956

My potting station clean!

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8773961

Then there's every other day. Lol

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
8:28 PM

Post #8773966

Some of the current tenants

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011

Post #8773971

Just this morning I was thinking I need to clean the GH to get ready for fall, but it was in the high 90s in the shade today, so it will have to wait. Outlaw, your gh is about the size of mine, good just for me. Isn't it amazing what that sunny space can do for your mood?

This message was edited Aug 23, 2011 10:32 PM

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011

Post #8773973

Home to lots of cuttings, mostly hydrangeas and rose of Sharon.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8773994

It only stays clean for a week, or till i get all caught up with all the other projects! Lol. Some day it would be great to have a large heated, planted greenhouse, but for now this is all i need.
Sorry, wrong pic of the clean potting bench. Here it is. A sight not often seen. Seems like it's always in use!

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8774038

Looks like a real nice spot. Bet you will have hours of fun out there playing with your plants. LOL on the cardboard floor, I just layered part of my yard with cardboard and threw mulch over it. I use it instead of landscaping fabric around some of my plants.
Ric and I have been working on our GH. He has it almost up. Just the structure for this winter. Things like heat, lights, fans and benches will come later.
ericpeterson89
Boston, MA

September 19, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9280107

I live in Portland in a crime riddled neighborhood. Before I moved in there were some squatters in the garage with a secret room in the back of the garage. I ended up getting frustrated with the look of the crack shack and decided to do something about it so I turned it into a small glass greenhouse. I will post progress pictures... about 1/2 way through the process I almost cried because I was overwhelmed with the amount of work that needed to be completed by first frost to save my tropical plants but I think it turned out okay. I recycled about 75% of the materials we took off the building and constructed about 90% of the new coverings from recycled glass from old sliding glass doors and french doors for the front.

Thank you everyone for sharing your photos and thank you GothQueen for thinking of this idea... I will share more photos soon.

Thumbnail by ericpeterson89   Thumbnail by ericpeterson89   Thumbnail by ericpeterson89   Thumbnail by ericpeterson89   Thumbnail by ericpeterson89
Click an image for an enlarged view.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2012

Post #9281876

Oh, eric I love the greenhouse and your yard is beautiful, looks so tropical, would love to have a greenhouse like that one. Wow you made a beautiful improvement to your yard and neighborhood, I am always so impressed with the visions people have and that they actually can get it accomplished.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 21, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9281934

I just realized that I never came back and posted GH pictures in this thread. You may have seen it in other threads. It was wonderful this spring. We put a couple of inexpensive heater fans in there this past spring and used it for our annual plant plugs and seeds. Worked just great. Ric decided to heat it for the winter and picked up a nice gas heater at a discount. They are coming in a few weeks to put in a gas bottle and many of the tropical plants in the gardens will be overwintering there this year.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS      

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

September 21, 2012

Post #9282274

What an amazing recovery of space, Eric, turning that building into greenhouse and making something positive out of something terrible.

Holly, beautiful yard and greenhouse! Thank you all for sharing your green dreams with everyone here, and for the thread.

My greenhouse is still under construction, but my avocados, tiny lemon trees I planted from seed (along with some avocados), a pineapple I planted from a store-bought pineapple, along with tomatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, beans, etc are all still in the little 4x8 hothouse, soon to be transferred. We have already had several days of frost so it will be a relief to get the GH finished.
1. the little hothouse that stays so warm without a heater (covered for a chilly night)
2. the green 14x16 dream in progress (barrels full of water are to help heat it)
3. Fertilizer manufacturers

Thumbnail by Solace   Thumbnail by Solace   Thumbnail by Solace      

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9285787

Holly love the greenhouse, the walkway, and the way you have a fence to hold up the glads. Beautiful. Let me know how your heating goes I am in zone 5 and curious what heating a greenhouse would be like. I had a lean to greenhouse on my old house but it was smaller and leaned onto a brick fireplace which held heat and I loved it.

Solace please post pics of your building the greenhouse I would love to watch.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 8, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9299223

Just got home from a couple of weeks at the Beach. So I am playing catch up on the threads and in the gardens. Need to get the houseplants and tropicals inside very soon. They are coming next week to place the gas tank for the heater. Ric has to get it installed and plants moved inside. We have an insulated concrete slab floor that will give us some solar gain and black radiators that will be filled with antifreeze for more solar gain.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9299408

We have already had two frost, light ones but you know those tropicals aren't wild about them...rofl.
Found this greenhouse being made not far from where I live, just a couple of changes I would like which is a solid north wall since I live out where the winds blow like crazy and covered with the type of covering you have instead of single type. Since I am zone 5 and you are zone 6 we aren't too far apart so I was really interested in what it was like to heat it in the winter time?
This greenhouse is built to what ever size you can afford..rofl. I started to say whatever size you want, but my wants are always bigger than my affords...rofl

Thumbnail by happgarden

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 8, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9299575

That is nice looking. Ours is a basic Harbor Freight GH with extra support that Ric added to help with the wind and snow load of our winters. It did very well last winter and he has been very pleased with the modifications. Last spring we used small electric heater fans for a couple of months while we used it for seed starting and annual plugs. This will be the second winter and the first winter heated so it will be a new experience for us. The new heater is a Heatstar unvented lp/gas heater. Ric is going to build a head house on the north west end of the GH that will protect that side and give extra storage space. Not sure he will get that done before winter so we may not have that protection in place for this winter but he is also looking at some type of poly film coating for extra winter protection.
Solace, I have a few of those Fertilizer manufacturers here. I find they are good at pest control, too. LOL

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9299778

happgarden that is one pretty g/h. I know you will spend many enjoyable hours in there during the cold weather. I bought a harbor freight G/H kit and replaced the aluminum with wood and it looks a lot like yours and I completely packed it the 1st year and then had to add thick plastic butcher door type sides to the back awning at our guest house. That is now full and I'm still having to bring plants inside the house.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9300191

Never big enough...lol they told me the same thing about water garden they will never be big enough.

Haven't bought anything yet but I really like your harbor freight greenhouse. I read a lot of folks have bought h.f. and are really happy with them. I sure don't want to buy the wrong thing since this will be my only shot at this. I like what your walls are made of. I read a lot of folks use bubble wrap to add more insulation on the north. Kind of looks like normal bubble wrap but on steriods...rofl

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9300325

I've heard of that. We don't really get that cold down here. If the weather drops below 40 I have a little electric heater for each of the G/Hs. As long as we don't loose electric, I'm OK. I need to find an alternate means to heat beside the electric in case we do loose it.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 9, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9300334

Happgarden, There were several blogs that Ric used that he found very helpful. They really had very good directions and helped make the GH much nicer and more stable and more efficient. This is the thread Ric started that showed some of the things he did to our GH and it also has a link to the Blog.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243490/

This message was edited Oct 9, 2012 8:59 AM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9300717

Thank you Holly I will check that out...

As for weather not dropping below 40! I wish, we have already been in the 20's rofl... We can go below 0 and windy...heavens the winds can get horrible, but let the weather hit 100 and not a drop of air... funny how it works that way...

In my first greenhouse I used a small kerosine heater to heat with back then, but I think the cost of kerosine (unless only used on emergency basis) would eat you alive now a days. Wish I had that greenhouse back ;( DH built it and it had the honey comb panels on the top for insulation but the walls were all windows that I could slide open, it faced south and was a 'lean to' type against the south wall of the house that had a brick fireplace chimmeny that ran all the way up threw the greenhouse. Great solar gain, the floors were brick we got from an old hotel they were tearing down. Don't think I can con him into building another from scratch.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 9, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9301030

It is really nice to have someone to build things for you. I am very lucky that way also. With a DH and 2 sons that can build anything. It is really nice that Ric also has a great interest in gardening so I don't have to work too hard to talk him into a project.
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9305220

Just cleaned and arranged everything in my greenhouse today. Looks so nice!
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9305223

Oops, why didn't the pics show up? Let's try this again...

Thumbnail by roxxanne   Thumbnail by roxxanne   Thumbnail by roxxanne   Thumbnail by roxxanne   

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2012

Post #9305248

Roxxanne you and I had like minds!!! That's what I did today also!!! Mine had been overtaken by root beer plants. They were as tall as the walls would allow. I filled up the wheel barrel with just root beer plants. I finally got the round-up out and after I cut the plants, I got a sponge paint brush and started to treat the roots. Then I started repotting plants and twirling the vines to my hoyas, where they weren't just everywhere. I was too tired to take pictures but I'll try tomorrow.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

October 14, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9305269

Finished putting the plastic on the hoop and sidewalls, but still have to anchor the plastic to the walls on the bottom and build an entry half wall and door on one end. The little hoop will then be moved in front of the door to act as an entryway/cold crop room (unheated).

I moved a bunch of stuff around today, transplanted another bed of squash, and made room for a table and a compost pile, but this is how it looked earlier today, before I got started.
1. Northwest corner with barrels on the right
2. Southwest corner with raised bed in foreground and transplanted the green beans that got hit with frost into the blocks on the far wall
3. Barrels temporarily hold some plants and sweet potatoes growing slips
4. Tomatoes that were hit by frost then trimmed and transplanted from outside
5. Squash is bouncing back nicely from frosted blackened leaves after transplant from outside.

I transplanted squash, some herbs, green beans, and sunflowers this afternoon, clearing the southwest corner for a table/bench and cleared the northwest corner in preparation for the compost pile. Growing in there now are Bantam corn, tomatoes of various kinds, okra, watermelon, avocado trees, some lemon trees from seed that are still tiny, squash, arugula, cilantro, basil, cosmos and zinnia transplants from outside, sweet potato slips, and Kentucky Wonder beans. I have a Moon & Stars watermelon in the house mini-greenhouse along with tomato vines and starter pots with brocolli, eggplant, and other stuff planted. So far so good. It's already gone through a storm with 50 mph gusts without the plastic being permanently anchored on the bottom. What a blessing to have a greenhouse!

Thumbnail by Solace   Thumbnail by Solace   Thumbnail by Solace   Thumbnail by Solace   Thumbnail by Solace

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9305473

Solace ~ are you pollinating your vegetable blooms? I know the tomatoes will be easy but the squash will need your encouragement but I'm sure you are up on that.

Jeri ~ I agree on the tangled web the Hoyas can weave... my first photo is Hoyas.

I have been making room and building shelving today ( I am a zip tie engineer ~ lol) Have been moving plants in over the past month so don't feel quite as pressured. It seems like I don't have lots of space but when I take photos, it looks like there is room to spare but more plants to move in too. Kristi

Thumbnail by podster   Thumbnail by podster   Thumbnail by podster   Thumbnail by podster   

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

October 14, 2012
10:45 PM

Post #9305516

Yep, Kristi, something's pollinating them. Not me, but something. I had to run a couple of bees out of there yesterday evening, because they kept running into the plastic trying to go 'home'. I live close to a honey farm, so that might help. When it all gets good and closed up/sealed, then I think the flies will help, as there seem to be a few in there - not a lot, but a few walking on the plants. I hate flies, but if they help pollinate maybe it's a good thing they haven't died, yet. Otherwise I'll take a paintbrush or a Q-tip and pollinate them. You have lots of beautiful plants in your greenhouse. Happy plants :)

Thumbnail by Solace

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9305576

We will be interested in seeing how your edibles venture does for you this winter. Hoping you keep us posted.

Last winter I kept cucumbers and tomatoes growing in the GH through winter but fought whiteflies till I gave up on those plants indoors. I will keep them out this year and move them into a storage room for the freezing days.

Good luck with your endeavor Solace.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9305686

We moved most of the Tropicals into the GH to overwinter them. We are using the electric heater fans for a few weeks until the propane gas tank is installed. This will be the first winter we heat the GH and I am looking forward to seeing how it goes.
We put a few herbs in there to have fresh herbs this winter, I think Ric is also going to try to grow a flat of mixed lettuce and maybe try to pot up one of the tomato pants and see if he can keep one going in the GH this winter. Not sure how well that will work.
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9306080

I thought about trying to keep a tomato going in there but there just isn't enough room.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9309401

Here are the pictures of what I accomplished Sun. What is missing is the wheelbarrow of root beer plants that I pulled and/or cut out of the GH. I rewound hoya vines and repotted until I ran out of soil.

Thumbnail by jeri11   Thumbnail by jeri11   Thumbnail by jeri11      

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

October 18, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #9309465

Thanks, Podster. I have a friend that told me she puts a trash bag over her plant, treats it for white flies, and leaves the bag on long enough for them to die (the flies, that is, not the plant, lol). I've never tried it, and hope I don't have to. I had fly strips up in the little greenhouse hoop and it was loaded with them, but I never found white flies on the plants. They must have been attracted to the fly strips more. Went down to check on buying some more for winter, just in case, and there were several people around commenting about how bad flies are this year, especially this late in the year. Is that just here, or does anyone else see that happening? Anyway, the fly strips work well. When you can find them.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9309622

Jerii, What are RootBeer Plants? Ric picked up the pipe he needs to install the new heater and I think they are going to bring the gas tank on Monday.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9309631

Holly here is a link to the root beer plant. I have had this plant for over 15 years and it has never behaved like this before. I guess it was b/c we really didn't have a winter last year.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/530/

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2012

Post #9309801

I use Round-Up on mine!!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9309844

Happy I cut them down and used a paint brush to paint Round-Up on to the stalks and since Sunday I can't tell that it's done anything.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 20, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9310303

Jeri,

I do that with my EE that get into the grass. The only thing there is it leaves a yellow circle where the plants were. And no, I did not paint the grass.

Hap
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9319190

Just in case of high winds from Sandy, we wrapped up the HF greenhouse with a tarp. Better than nothing, I think

Thumbnail by roxxanne

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9319247

I think that was a smart idea!!! It should help!!! How is the weather there now? Prayers going out for all in the path of Sandy!!

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

October 29, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9319265

Amen to that, jeri.
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9319638

Just very wet and a kinda windy. Not as bad as they thought, here at least.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9319652

My DH is in Greencastle, Pa. They are on stand-by to make a run from Atlanta, Ga. to Oriskany, NY. I hope the weather stays like you have described. He is in a truck at the truck stop.
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9319873

Don't know where Greencastle is but here on the western side of PA they have lifted the high wind advisory but now they're watching for flooding.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9320019

Glad Yall made it through without much damage. Can you tell yet how the G/H did?

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure either where Greencastle is. He said he was about 5 miles from Maryland.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9320101

Hi everyone. I must have marked this thread a long time past. And recently just rediscovered it once again. It's the longest running thread, i've seen. ^^_^^ . Hi Sis, 5 miles from Maryland that's tad closer to some of my family there. It's amazing that we've bonded together over the years. I recognized many participate in this thread. So here is a big howdy to everyone. And sis, hope Jim is safe during his trip on this hazadous weather!
Kim
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9320123

Hope everyone is safe and sound. What a poor mess NY is. Glad to see this come back to life and those with greenhouses posting pics. Hopefully I can join that group this year or early part of next.

So glad you didn't get the winds they predicted...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9320141

I don't really have a true greenhouse; just a makeshift GH in the basement. But tropical and subtropical gardening? I'm into it with both feet. lol Here is "Peanut" that's blooming for the first time. This was a single 4" cutting that someone has shared from Jeri's get-together--in yeas past. Sis, it was back in 2007 or 2008?

happgarden; I can't even phantom the messes that they've to clean up after the storm. And that fire in NYC! Possitive thought and prayers continue to go up for those that are affected.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9320152

Oh Lily that is too cool. I have never seen that before. I am curious does it grow up and down or up and fall down? Would love to have that in a head planter it would look like dreadlocks...rofl.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9320196

[quote="happgarden"]Oh Lily that is too cool. I have never seen that before. I am curious does it grow up and down or up and fall down? Would love to have that in a head planter it would look like dreadlocks...rofl. [/quote]

GMTA! LOL happ. I've been looking for that "head planter" but ones that I saw were too pricey I thought. But I'm still looking. LOL. The heurnia is an easy culture, though I thought I'd never bloom for me being indoor. This Fall it finally did. The pot is on a window sill facing North, bright but in direct light year round. As far as its growing habit? It's kinda free-spirited. Most of the long strands hanging down, but there is this horizontal one decided to spike two strands upward, and at that juncture, it created a cluster of flowers as seen here.

Oooops, because I quoted your message ... I can't post the pix, will brb with pix.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9320201

Here goes ...

Thumbnail by Lily_love

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012

Post #9320259

The flower is really pretty. I agree with you those head planters are quite expensive I think also. There is someone in florida that has several and they just crack me up when I see her postings.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9320280

I've missed you too Kim!!! Check with Wairfair. I got 2 Greek God planters for $69.00 ea. That sounds like a lot until you look at the other heads.

http://www.wayfair.com/filters/Planters-l349-c489055-q~.html?q=head+planters

Looks like I got a good deal. These have even gone up.

Roxxanne how did Yall do in the storm? Still praying that no lives are lost in the clean up process.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9320295

Not much damage in our area other than massive flooding. We toured around the area and didn't see much wind damage. Last year we had a very early heavy snowstorm. The leaves were still on the trees and a lot of dead/dying trees and branches came down. It was a huge mess but I think that is why we didn't have more of that type of damage with this storm. We lost our power for about 18 hours and it was just in our neighborhood. We think a neighbors evergreen was the issue. Some lines run thru the branches there.
We did have some serious wind last night and our GH did just fine. Those extras that Ric included to help with our winter weather really did pay off. The new gas heater kept the GH nice and toasty even though the circulating fan didn't run. I was down there earlier today cleaning the plants, removing dead leaves. It was nice and warm and pleasant in there.

Oh Jeri, Greencastle is about an hour and a half South/West from me. Not too far from where my DH grew up.

This message was edited Oct 30, 2012 3:03 PM
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9320564

Hoping and praying that everyone is safe and sound. Jeri ~ that includes your husband.

Greenhouses can be rebuilt and plants can be replaced but lives are precious.

Kim ~ great going on the Huernia blooms! I got my start of that plant from Larkie here on DG and have since been able to share it a few times over. It is a generous bloomer and thankfully not fragrant. LOL

I am posting a photo to show you that like the Hoyas, these will bloom on the same bloom spurs so don't remove them when done blooming and you will be rewarded with more blooms.

Thumbnail by podster   Thumbnail by podster   Thumbnail by podster      

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9320582

Kim, Lin shared the peanut cactus with me and I shared it with you I think. You did way better than me. I lost mine I think that very winter when my G/H had a heater malfunction. I had no idea they flowered that pretty!! You geaux girl!!!

Waving at you Pod!!! How have you been? Thanks for that info on the spur, I didn't know that.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9320620

So... would you want a start??? LOL I have a start that is already blooming and you've shared seeds/plants with me in the past. I'm sure I owe you. Or is there no room in the greenhouse?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2012

Post #9320708

LOL!!! Could we wait until the spring then I won't have to put it in there until next winter. My DH is out of town so I was bad this year and not only filled up 2 g/hs. I have 2 kiddy pools full of plants in the sonroom and the 3 steps to the jacuzzi is now covered with a large black trash bag and hoyas on top so as not to stain the marble.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9320730

Spring is good if you promise to help me remember... lol

You and your plants sounds like my DH and his old cars.
We should have put a roof over five acres.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9320987

Now that is really a thought!!! Do Yall ever make Crusin the Coast?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9321019

Jeri, Thanks for the link on Wayfair planters. Ones of these days I'd probably consider it. As for "Peanut"; now, I remember... Not sure if I remember Lin, but I remember, I was awestruck with the 'Peanut' but it was marked taken. You saw the expression on my face and didn't have the heart to see me going without. So you later gave me a start. That's truly the gift that keeps on giving! Like Christi, I'd be glad to send you some cuttings in the Spring with a promise from you that you would remind me.

Christi, sounds as if your DH has a real passion on old cars, as our passion on gardening. ^^_^^ Oh thank you on the tips regarding the flower spurs. The spurs on your photos are much bigger, a tell-tale they have bloomed a time or two before? Since mine just started, so it appears quite small. I also just now realized as I looked at the picture. I saw there is another spur on the upward pointing branch with a spent/dried up old remnant of wilted flower. I have 2 spurs!!! Hah, this has bloomed before and was going un-noticed. I will be sure I won't interfere with the spurs to ensure future flowering as Hoya's culture. FYI plumeras' inflorescents work the same way as these spurs on Huernias and Hoyas. Another thing I've observed, with Plumerias; they will selectively self-terminate spent inflos. So I just let's nature takes its course.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9321732

Jeri ~ no... we are self employed and the "boss" doesn't let us take time off for cruises. The most DH does is tinker with them (6 older rides) and enter them in the small local car shows. In fact with age, I find it preferable to ride in something new and comfy. lol We used to drive the older rides when we went to visit family each summer but now I just want to get there quickly.

Kim ~ the sweet thing about sharing a plant is that it reminds me of the sweetie that shared it. I called mine Larkie even after I got an ID for it. Yes, mine have bloomed many times but I only recently noticed the bloom spurs. You keep trying to tempt me with the Plumies but I made a mistake and got interested in Bromeliads instead. They are not fragrant but fascinating. I keep asking myself why I want a plant that dies after it blooms. lol

I actually have two of the Huernias... the blooms are similar but the plant is not. They are the same age but came from different places and I've never been able to ID the shorter, upright one on the left.

Thumbnail by podster

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9321741

Christi this is a link to Crusin the Coast. I think you would really enjoy it!!! Before Katrina we went every year.

http://www.cruisinthecoast.com/About.html

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Greenhouse Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Online sources for greenhouse film? Terry 11 Oct 31, 2012 5:55 PM
Old Tomcat Sprays My Greenhouse Weezingreens 24 May 22, 2009 5:37 PM
Early 1900s Wm. H. Lutton Glasshouse Jersey City, NJ Abutilon 50 Jan 22, 2009 3:55 AM
Best greenhouse for the money JimKennard 90 Sep 22, 2012 8:54 PM
Santa Barbara Greenhouses? mysticwill 8 May 4, 2009 3:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America