-
AuthorContent
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6337795

Here's my Rudbeckia "Cherry Brandy" that I winter sowed. I can't believe how thick they are. I'll try and plant them out in a week or two.

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac
Click the image for an enlarged view.

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6337814

And here's some Black Hollyhocks! These are growing so quickly. I'll try and set these out too.

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6337840

Here's some Rudbeckia "Goldilocks."

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6337994

Good heavens! Those kids aren't babies, they're huge! Why haven't you planted them out yet?

Karen
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6338101

I'm just waiting for the danger of frost to be past. There is a frost warning for tonight. I'll probably set them out next weekend. I just don't want to risk losing them. They are doing so well. This is going to be beautiful. I'm planting them up and down my mom's fence. I'm doing it for Mother's Day. I have tons of Gaillardias and other plants too. Can't wait for this cold spell to pass.
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #6338107

or..Do you think they'll be ok? Our danger of frost is over on April 15th. I think the Hollyhocks would be fine, but I'm not sure about these Rudbeckias.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #6341272

I think they would be fine, especially as far south as you live. Even here, I'd plant them out now at that size. Remember, rudbeckia and hollyhocks are perennial and biennials. They tolerate winters just fine when planted in garden beds with no protection. Most of my rudbeckia hirtas stay green all winter even here in my zone 6 yard with below zero temperatures. Hollyhocks have no problem with severe winter weather, either.

For most plants, the sooner they get to sink their feet into a real garden bed the better they will do.

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6342302

All my babies are still so tiny... haven't photographed any yet.

I can tell ya...my HollyHocks, the ones already in my garden... started growing about a month or so ago... have withstood cold winds, heavy rains and even snow ... still growing just fine.

My Rudbeckias are not coming back yet... maybe mine were annuals ... but i do have a few other perennials that stayed green in the winter, or come back very early in the season.
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #6363716

I'd plant them out as well. Remember, they have been outside. If you are worried, you can always cloche them.
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2009
5:00 AM

Post #6366118

It's supposed to get below freezing Monday night and the high Tuesday is 40 something. I think I'll wait till Wednesday when it's above freezing to plant them. They are looking so good. I'd hate to lose them when it gets below freezing. I have too many to cover. This is going to be an amazing flower bed. I've got tons of Foxgloves and other plants that won't bloom this year, but next year should be amazing.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2009
11:15 AM

Post #6366515

As long as they're plants that are hardy in your area, they'll be fine in the cold. Just wait until frost date to plant out tenders like zinnias.

Karen
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2009
9:33 AM

Post #6394625

I finally got my first 2 jugs planted out in the past few days- one california poppies and the other digitalis. I have others ready to go- just no time to do it.

And finally after a pretty dry spring we've had lots of rain in the last few days. Laura Bush petunia needs to go out too, it's suddenly trying to grow up out of the jug. Rain always seems to help sprout the seeds, so maybe some of the slowpokes will wake up. And another freeze warning for tonight.

I still have a couple of tenders to sow, like castor beans and zinnias. I ordered a few of them from Diane's but they haven't arrived yet.

Karen
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #6396677

I put my jugs in boxes so with all the rain we've had, I took them out to drain better since we've got a nice afternoon.

Look at these guys. This box had Wild Bergamont, Rose Campion, Delphinums, Coreopsis. Cosmos is still in the box. those need to be planted!

I am thrilled that I tried WS this year!
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6396697

(rolling my eyes)

Thumbnail by nanniepb

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #6397264

Nice! Definitely need to be planted out.

Karen

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #6418633

Here is my Larkspur...first time for these. They did really good I think...LOL!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #6419435

They look beautiful nanny! They can go on out in the garden- they're unbothered by cold.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6419466

Okay...thanks Neal!
LissaD
Corrales, NM
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #6433162

I call this photo "Sunbathing".

Giving my babies a little sunshine after some nice spring rains this weekend.

Thumbnail by LissaD

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #6433351

Lissa -- yours look great. mine are still quite tiny... but they are getting the spring rain now... light rain almost all day long, and probably into tomorrow.
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6433607

Mine got sopped yesterday with 2.5" moisture, snow and rain. But they looked okay today.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #6443359

i hadta shake water from mine yesterday. soggy for sure.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #6471972

I honestly have not taken any photos of my jugs... some were chia's
I've started planting out already.

off the top of my head...

a few varieties of poppies
Lavaterna [probably spelled wrong] Silver Cup
Bird and Butterfly Mix
Golden Jubilee Agastache
... there may have been more, but that's all i can think of.

I've given two small containers to my neighbor

OH, B.E.S and Indian Summer - Rudbeckias

Hopefully we do not get any more rain and the grounds can dry out a bit more so i can plant a bit more tomorrow... heck, i'm still sowing seeds too. Gotta get my MG's going before it's too late.

I'm going to start direct sowing some seeds too... it's about that time.
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #6472689

tcs, I sympathize with you about the weather. You startled me with the talk of planting MGs now! We're in the same zone. Today we had another snowstorm, very late. I don't think it would be a good idea for me to plant MG seeds yet. Are you WSing them?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #6473014

I"m not sure how I"m gonna do the MG's. I actually found a seedling in one of my flower beds the other day.

I may just do the WS thing and put them out side. I have 1 flat left to where i can use a heat mat, but not sure if i'll use it or not.

and... IT's raining yet AGAIN.

at least the stuff i put out will get watered.

and -- we rarely get snow this time of the year... we may have a cold night or two... rarely a frost, but it's a possibility, but rare. but ya figure... these days with the whacky weather... ya never say never.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #6476902

we've had 80's since last thursday which is unusual for us. with lows in the 50's thru till next week.

here's my Cardinal Climber. Ipomoea multifida

Thumbnail by nanniepb

nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #6476955

this was 3/4ths of a jug of Rose Campion: I could have cut it with a knife.

Thumbnail by nanniepb

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #6493661

I flipped a few tops open today...here is Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia...I put a whole package of seeds in here plus some. A least I got some plants!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #6493668

This is Pairie Sun...I didn't use the whole package on this one.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #6493670

Just one of 3 containers I have of Lady In Red Salvia...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6493673

Larkspur is going strong!! I am going to try again and plant some more now that it is bigger.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6741388

mine was full like that and I put it up on the back porch and then let it die. it didnt take long for it to dry out and wilt away either. made me mad at myself.

does anyone know if poppies will still bloom this time of year if they were just now transplanted. the plants look healthy enough but i wondered if it was too late.

oops...the date on this was awhile ago I see now but i'm replying anyhow.

a leaf blew in front of my shot right as I was taking it but here is my first Japanese Morning Glory taken few days ago. I had blooms before the vine started climbing my trellis this year.

Thumbnail by nanniepb

cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
10:37 AM

Post #6845396

question. when you sprout them in containers like that, do you plant the whole clump in the garden, or do you separate all the seedlings for individual planting?
Elizabethtown
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2009
10:43 AM

Post #6845404

This is interesting. I've always had trouble with seeding. I wonder if it could really be that simple. A milk jug greenhouse. I noticed some are clear -- are they 2 or 3 liter soda bottles?

Roni
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #6845445

cue_chick: I could never separate all those seedlings, so I usually plant out hunks, like this
http://wintersown.org/wseo1/Hunk-o-Seedlings.html
I have been known to plant an entire jug full in one hole, but don't do that often.

Elizabethtown, yes, 2 liter pop bottles work well. My favorite container is a gallon milk jug. It holds enough volume of potting mix to retain moisture well. They also need about 3" of potting mix, lots of drainage holes, and no screw-on cap is used. You want rain and snow to water them.

If you cruise around Trudi's site, linked above, there is a lot of information on containers, too.

Karen
sandstreet
Kinderhook, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6846536

I had a lot of trouble planting "chia pet" milk jugs of snapdragons and shirley poppies. Very frustrating trying to seperate the 100 or so seedlings per jug and I ended up planting a lot of hunks (just not enough room for them all!) However, I now have had beautiful plants for a few weeks. Poppies since mid-June. Well worth the effort.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6847739

sandstreet, how did your Snapdragons do once you got them set out? I've started mine indoors the last couple of years in hopes of getting them in the ground early, but they grew so slowly as seedlings, it ended up being late May before they were big enough to plant anyway. I may just WS them from now on.
sandstreet
Kinderhook, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #6847994

This is my first year with snapdragons and I'm very pleased. It might be because we have had a very wet spring/summer, but this year my annuals flowered much earlier. From my notes:

2/16 -- wintersown in milk jug (I think you could wintersow them much later.)
3/27 -- sprouts
5/1 -- planted out
... and I think flowering 2nd week in July, but not sure. Didn't make a note.

(3 snapdragons in foreground ... white david phlox behind.)

Thumbnail by sandstreet

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6848195

As soon as they're big enough to handle, snapdragons can be planted out. They're not bothered by spring frosts. I've had them survive winters here in zone 6.

These are volunteers.

Karen
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #6848203

Oops, missed the picture

Thumbnail by kqcrna

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6848211

More volunteers

Thumbnail by kqcrna

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2009
11:49 AM

Post #6850008

Thanks, I'm going to WS them from now on. This year I did see blooms on the Snaps in mid June, so I guess I did get a little bit of a head start indoors, but last year it was mid July when they started blooming (also started in February indoors). So I'll bypass transplanting and keeping a watchful eye on babies under lights!

Karen, I had some survive last winter too. I love that 'Black Prince'!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #6850229

I love Black Prince, too. It looks like burgundy velvet. Some, from saved seed over the last few years, have mutated to lighter burgundy, some to burgundy and white like "night and day" snapdragon. All pretty though, and if I leave the seeds to drop naturally, volunteer well, obviously.

Karen
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6855707

snapdragons are definetly on my list for next years WS.

here's something that was a treat for me. Monarda Punctata. Spotted bee balm.

Thumbnail by nanniepb

nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #6855746

these poppies are in bloom at my dad's house, but mine haven't bloomed. yet.

Thumbnail by nanniepb

nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6855876

heres some of my 'chunks' that I gave my dad: columbine and rose campion (the furry looking stuf. we call it mullein) and i think there's also a bit of lupine.

i'm done =)

Thumbnail by nanniepb

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #7230401

nannie, I had that spotted bee balm on an order I just placed and at the last minute took it off... man I wish I had been on this thread before I placed that order I would have for sure gotten it. Love it. You wouldn't by any chance have any seeds from it you would like to share...? I've got almost 200 different seeds ???

Janet
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2009
8:57 AM

Post #7232722

Janet, i sent a dmail and i'll see what i can do.

with all the rain we had, i didnt get alot of my seeds gathered in time, but i might have saved some earlier too. my dining room is off limits right now...theres seeds everywhere!!!! and a method to my madness!

those seeds came from an herb seed swap. yay for DG
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2009
9:48 AM

Post #7337253

Stupid question but I still need to ask this. Okay, I'm fast forwarding to Feb. when I start my seeds in milk jugs or wintersowing containers outdoors. When the seedlings start shooting up leaves, and are crowding each other for light, do I take and transfer to a single pot under grow or shop lights until the weather allows them to be planted outdoors in the flower beds? What is the best method of separating the crowded seedlings without damaging them? If I can't scatter up 1 gal. milk or beverage jugs, can I use the 1/2 ga. size instead?
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2009
12:18 PM

Post #7337360

Pippi: Never bring wintersown plants into a heated house. I mean NEVER.

Sow hardy annuals and perennials in winter, don't sow tender annuals until close to spring.

So that means your first sprouts should be perennials and HAs. In my zone that's around March. I just let 'em stay in their jugs until I plant out in the garden. These HAs and perennials can be planted into the garden as soon as they're big enough to handle and the soil is thawed. Subsequent frosts and freezes won't hurt them- that's why their called hardy.

Here's a jug of marigolds way past due to be planted out. Their bad Mom neglected them for a long time, but they obviously didn't notice.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #7337550

>>If I can't scatter up 1 gal. milk or beverage jugs, can I use the 1/2 ga. size instead?

I use containers of all sizes. As long as you have the 'depth' you are fine [you want about 4" of potting mix in there for the root growth] ... i'll use 1 gal, 1/2 gal, qt sized [like for half and half] . I'll use the large yogurt and sour cream container... even though they are white, the sunlight does get thru.

the nice things about milk jugs though, gal or half gal.. you have that nice built in handle. Most others i will have in a card board box - so they are corralled and to make moving them more easier.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #7337832

Another nice thing about jugs is all that headroom. In case of frost I can still flip the top back onto the jug as a frost cover. If you use shallow containers there isn't enough headroom to do that.

That blob of marigolds above was pretty tall, the plants already in bud when I planted them out. Here's a picture of the blob right-side-up. I just dump it into a flat and cut into chunks with a knife and plant the hunks. A gallon can be cut into a lot of little chunks, as small as about an inch square.

Normally I'd water a jug before doing that. I must have been in a real hurry because it look dry!

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #7338499

Those are some awesome photos!

I just wanted to come here and rave over Rudbeckia "Goldilocks." The ones I posted at the top of this thread were beautiful this year! They bloomed nonstop all summer. People stopped wanting to know what they were. Here's one of my pics of them...

dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #7338677

Those are gorgeous!! I guess I'm gonna have to actually give WS a try instead of "contemplating" it:lol: I work at a walmart and we're always dumping outdated gallons of milk so I'll just ask if I can snatch some of the empties. I don't do much dairy drinking so even in a year I'd never accumulate even 6 containers:lol:

I've got Rudbeckia Tiger Eye and Cherry Brandy, Penstemon Violet Dusk and Electric Blue I want to try. Oh, and Lupine Morello Cherry.

I'll have to research how big to make the drain holes and all that--don't want to have swampland in my containers:lol:

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #7338767

dmac... do report back if you get germination on your Electric Blue. I did 21 seeds last year, got one seedling i am babying in the house over the winter. They are not hardy here and i was hoping to at least see it BLOOM.

>>I'll have to research

do check out the sticky at the top of the forum. We worked on it hard one year to get all the "good stuff" in there from older threads.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #7339205

I'll definitely report back--I'm a sucker for blue flowers so I had to give them a try.

I will definitely be reading the sticky--got a notebook ready:) I remember all the various continuation threads for yearly reports of different good and bad stuff.

Thanks!!
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #7383328

Nannie_56..where are your plant markers in your jugs or have you written the names on the side of the jugs with a paint pen or permanent marker? I think I saw duct tape that had been ripped off to the side, like you use duct tape to hold the jugs together? Do you write on the duct tape the name of the plant perhaps? Everything sure looks nice and healthy. Keep up the good work! Now somebody WS some larkspur..I want to hear about that because I want to plant some if I can find the seed online.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #7383412

Pippi21

Silver Spring, I know the area well, I bet after today you are under a lot of white stuff???

How many inches or should I say feet do you have of the snow.

There are a ton of places with Larkspur seeds, I'll go check my bookmarks and come back and post.

Janet

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America