Photo by Melody

Article: Rocky Mountain Gardening: Seed starting: Thank you for the guidelines...

Communities > Forums > Article: Rocky Mountain Gardening: Seed starting
bookmark
Forum: Article: Rocky Mountain Gardening: Seed startingReplies: 2, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
7:19 AM

Post #6338919

Thank you for your well written article, Susanne. As I am experiencing my first year of living in Colorado full time (after having lived in Arizona for 16 years). I am very much in need of the "patience" reminders! In fact, as I sit here at my computer with a touch of insomnia, I am shocked to see that it is snowing here yet again (after DH has spent the entire week preparing the veggie and potato beds). And, I'm pretty sure I started some of the early season veggies seeds a bit too early... patience has never been my best subject. So, I too will learn from you and all the other wise and more experienced Rocky Mountain Gardeners here.

Brenda
Kylaluaz
Clinton, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6340347

What she said. Very timely; thank you! Not in the Rockies per se, but might as well be, have so many of the same issues.

and I appreciate the confirm of my suspicion that "last frost date" is not all that carved in stone as a safety marker and that the other factors of aridity, wind, and rapid temp shift play a huge role!

Ah, yes, patience, not my favorite virtue either! ;-)

thanks again,
Kyla
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6342513

Susanne, I'm not in the Rockies either--in fact, about as far away as could be--but I found your article to be VERY helpful, both for its useful advice about organizing seeds, cold frames, etc., and even more, for the admonition to BE PATIENT. Cape Cod has a long cool Spring and an average last frost date of May 25th. The experienced gardeners here don't plant out till June 1. Very hard for me, as a recent transplant from CA, to observe. Thanks for your reminders that yes, warm soil WILL come.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Rocky Mountain Gardening: Seed starting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
So glad I read this first.... cindyr2 1 Mar 21, 2011 3:46 PM
Thank You srandlmt 1 Mar 31, 2009 5:14 AM
Spring weather swings marwood0 0 Mar 30, 2009 5:11 PM
Colo Weather + Gardens = Headaches! skiekitty 0 Mar 30, 2009 5:30 PM
I think you covered it! roybird 0 Mar 30, 2009 7:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America