Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Article: Rocky Mountain Gardening: Seed starting: Thank you for the guidelines...

Communities > Forums > Article: Rocky Mountain Gardening: Seed starting
bookmark
Forum: Article: Rocky Mountain Gardening: Seed startingReplies: 2, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
7:19 AM

Post #6338919

Thank you for your well written article, Susanne. As I am experiencing my first year of living in Colorado full time (after having lived in Arizona for 16 years). I am very much in need of the "patience" reminders! In fact, as I sit here at my computer with a touch of insomnia, I am shocked to see that it is snowing here yet again (after DH has spent the entire week preparing the veggie and potato beds). And, I'm pretty sure I started some of the early season veggies seeds a bit too early... patience has never been my best subject. So, I too will learn from you and all the other wise and more experienced Rocky Mountain Gardeners here.

Brenda

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6340347

What she said. Very timely; thank you! Not in the Rockies per se, but might as well be, have so many of the same issues.

and I appreciate the confirm of my suspicion that "last frost date" is not all that carved in stone as a safety marker and that the other factors of aridity, wind, and rapid temp shift play a huge role!

Ah, yes, patience, not my favorite virtue either! ;-)

thanks again,
Kyla
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6342513

Susanne, I'm not in the Rockies either--in fact, about as far away as could be--but I found your article to be VERY helpful, both for its useful advice about organizing seeds, cold frames, etc., and even more, for the admonition to BE PATIENT. Cape Cod has a long cool Spring and an average last frost date of May 25th. The experienced gardeners here don't plant out till June 1. Very hard for me, as a recent transplant from CA, to observe. Thanks for your reminders that yes, warm soil WILL come.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Rocky Mountain Gardening: Seed starting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
So glad I read this first.... cindyr2 1 Mar 21, 2011 3:46 PM
Thank You srandlmt 1 Mar 31, 2009 5:14 AM
Spring weather swings marwood0 0 Mar 30, 2009 5:11 PM
Colo Weather + Gardens = Headaches! skiekitty 0 Mar 30, 2009 5:30 PM
I think you covered it! roybird 0 Mar 30, 2009 7:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America