-
AuthorContent
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2009
10:50 AM

Post #6339103

I'm interested to hear about plants that have started friendships.

I'm sure we all have them, or many of them.

I have a plant, that I got years ago from a member, and it has become one of my favorite plants. I didn't know her at the time she sent it to me, but she has become one of my favorites, too ;0)

Here is the viola hederacea that Nery sent me years ago for sase as a simple response to a Plant trading post.

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #6339426

When our gardens were on the first Southold Garden Tour one gal was filled with compliments and said she'd love to have a garden but didn't think her property was suited to it. I went over the next week and saw this ancient border of huge plants that had seen their best days 40 years before. Soon she was ripping them out, hauling home truck loads of town mulch, buying plants, having her built in swimming pool filled, had the gazebo erected and hasn't quit yet.

She resists but I think she should name it "The Silk Purse" after the old quote of not being able to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. She certainly created the most beautiful gardens I've ever seen from a very boring scene.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #6339465

awe, T. I have several plants that have started beautiful friendships and have gotten stronger, like the plants themselves.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2009
12:55 PM

Post #6339472

lovely. And now you are returning the compliments. :0)

...I don't think I could ever fill in my pool, LOL...:0)
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #6339494

I always think of my friend Cloteal who gave me my first thunbergia grandiflora vine, Neil every time the spider lilies come up, Kay when the wisteria blooms, all the roses remind me of who gave them to me, etc and etc.

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6348036

The common love of beardless irises has made me two very good friends here on DG. Wonderful friends and trading partners. I could not have found better friends close by. In fact I would be hard pressed to find someone locally who loves gardening so much.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #6348942

I agree.

Sometimes I feel like I have a friend in each state. Do you find that when they announce bad weather in a particular area, you think "oh, I hope so-and-so is going to be ok...I need to email them"

I've also benefited from learning from people that I'd never have been able to benefit from. Local knowledge can only take you so far, but multiply that times gardeners all over the world, and it is invaluable.

I'll bet each and ever member has made at least ONE friend on here...why is everyone being so shy?
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 3, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6357422

I was befriended by a certain East Coast Blonde who was enormously generous with daylily fans (among other things ) from her garden. I think of her every time I see them and have become HER biggest "fan". LOL

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2009
11:42 AM

Post #6358362

"Fan"? JD, you jest!

I love watching all the amazing things you do with your perfect courtyard - a gem hidden away from public view. Seeing the bowers of roses that will simply never happen here, all of your wonderful inventive ideas coming alive and your garden art is such fun.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America