Photo by Melody

Article: Building a Cold Frame to Jump Start your Spring Garden: Clever, timely & valuable info

Communities > Forums > Article: Building a Cold Frame to Jump Start your Spring Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Building a Cold Frame to Jump Start your Spring GardenReplies: 4, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #6339636

Thanks for such an awesome article. This is something I've been wanting to do & now see it as a real possibility. The instructions are clear & easy enough to follow, I believe I'll try to skip the sewing using your possible alternate method. Very cool, very valuable & I can't wait to get started!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6339702

Another article is on the schedule for Tuesday next week, on various uses for your cold frame. I'm glad to hear you're planning to give it a shot! Let me know how it goes!

Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #6340341

Angela,

Reading on how involved the sewing and doing ther grommets is, iwas just wondering...

Would a clear, heavy duty (water proof too) shower curtain, or a sturdy shower curtain liner work as the plastic cover?
The reinforced holes are already there along one of the long edges and all you wouls need to do is provide some small hooks at he bottom to hook the edge on. At least one side could then be anchored down...
As for the ends...hmmmmmm...I di like the idea of the basement window covers...

Gita

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
10:38 PM

Post #6341948

I'd hesitate to use a shower curtain if you are planning to use the frame over the course of several years, as that plastic isn't designed for outdoor use. There is such a difference in how plastics respond to UV rays and cold temperatures, with some turning cloudy or yellowing, and others getting brittle and cracking. I think that is the main reason my mom used plastic designed for making outdoor furniture covers, and thread designed for the same purpose. Ironic that plastic takes eons to break down in land fills, but doesn't hold up when we WANT it to last outdoors!

I know you can also buy rolls of plastic designed for row covers or hoop houses, which would probably be a little more flexible than the plastic we used (it is fairly stiff, and holds its shape well), and it would probably hold up to outdoor use better than something intended for indoor use. The grommets really were very easy to apply--you just put half on either side of the plastic, and tap on a little "setting" tool with a hammer.

Thanks for reading and commenting! I'd be interested to hear if you try making a cold frame, and what worked well for you!

Angie
edyhill
Knoxville, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6342911

I have a friend with greenhouses and he really emphasized the importance of a UV resistant plastic. He said others will cut too much light, get brittle quickly needing replacement. I looked at a couple sites that had the rolls of plastic used on greenhouses and a couple sites had where a "hobbiest" could get roll ends or smaller quantities. But it was still more expensive -- I'm tight with my money -- didn't want to spend this much. The stuff I got at says it is for covers for picnic tables, out door furniture, etc. & was UV resistant. It was far cheaper than other stuff I'd looked at, available locally. I've seen it at Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby and JoAnne Fabrics so it was readily available. The main problem is that it was stiff enough it was hard to sew on a curve--if I'd just made a peak or square with enough slope to shed water, it would have been much easier. Or if appearance wasn't a problem, just get a long enough piece to drape the ends and secure with some large clips. Or put in a few extra gromments to hold the end in place.

The only place where I could put mine and get enough sun was right where a lot of people walk by. We live by a school administrative building and gym where there are lots of events happening. I was kinda picky about having something that looked decent. In other locations it wouldn't matter what it looked like.

Just wish I'd made it bigger--or not started so many plants so early!! Need another one already!!

Edy Hill

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Building a Cold Frame to Jump Start your Spring Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks... Sundownr 2 Mar 30, 2009 10:31 PM
Just what I've been looking for RenaV 1 Mar 30, 2009 10:39 PM
Very temporary cold frames Skyflower1 2 Mar 30, 2009 10:30 PM
cold frames sharonmi 1 Mar 30, 2009 10:28 PM
Nicely done! darius 1 Mar 30, 2009 10:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America