Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Who Did That? Identifying Insect Damage: webworms

Communities > Forums > Article: Who Did That? Identifying Insect Damage
bookmark
Forum: Article: Who Did That? Identifying Insect DamageReplies: 1, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #6339782

I ocassionally have those in my pecan trees and when I called the ext. they told me they were annoyance" and aesthetics factors but not damaging to trees. Besides, they're so high up you really can't spray for them, in my case. In 15 yrs they haven't killed a tree yet.
carolcloud
Chicago, IL

March 30, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6340097

We call them bag worms here in the Midwest and yes they make their way up to high areas in the trees , too high to reach. It does look unsightly and can gt out of control. In the early spring with the help of the spring winds the bag usually falls to the ground . This is before the hatch out of the worms. At that time the entire bag can be picked up and burned along with the other winter garden waste. This breaks the cycle. I have seen large groups of worms on the trunk of a tree. I'm not sure if they cycle into moths and then continue the egg to larve to moth process.
I didn't wait but got rid of the worms on the trunk with the help of a spray insecticide. I would be interested in seeing what the worms hatch into.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Who Did That? Identifying Insect Damage Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant chewing insects redladybug 3 Mar 30, 2009 8:57 PM
Blister Bugs grits74571 0 Mar 30, 2009 12:22 PM
Good Article DonM47 1 Mar 30, 2009 7:38 PM
Yellow caterpillar mamasita 0 Mar 30, 2009 9:08 PM
That was very helpful! Bookerc1 0 Mar 30, 2009 11:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America