Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Rocky Mountain Gardening: Seed starting: So glad I read this first....

Communities > Forums > Article: Rocky Mountain Gardening: Seed starting
bookmark
Forum: Article: Rocky Mountain Gardening: Seed startingReplies: 1, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cindyr2
Castle Rock, CO
(Zone 4a)

March 30, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6340126

as I have just been dying to "play in the dirt" for the longest time!!! We just moved here from Mississippi in September, so this is my first spring. (People are mailing me pics of blooming dogwoods, azaleas, etc. and I'm watching it snow...again! LOL)

Anyhow thanks for the informative article - I always look forward to your posts!!
emilye
Aurora, CO

March 21, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8441350

Welcome to Colorado. You might check and see if your garden center offers classes. If not, I think there are a couple in Colorado Springs that do, and there are several in Denver that do. My favorite, Tagawa Gardens, is in Centennial, just north of Parker--should be an easy drive for you. They offer classes on practically everything to do with gardening, with an emphasis on the particular challenges of the Front Range climate and soil conditions, e.g. vegetable gardening, tree planting and maintenance, landscape design, xeriscape, etc. Some of the classes are taught by Tagawa employees (who are very knowlegable and experienced) and many are taught by outside experts. For example, yesterday I attended a really good talk on fruit growing by Craig Miller, an arborist with the City of Parker, and came away with an extensive list of varieties of fruit trees, shrubs, and brambles that he knows from experience will grow and yield well in our climate (including apricots and peaches--yes you can grow them here) Not all of the varieties on his list are for sale at Tagawa, byt hey, you're on Dave's Garden. If you want something not available locally, you know where to find it.

If your local garden center doesn't have a program, you might check out Tagawa's. http://www.tagawagardens.com/tgevents.htm

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Rocky Mountain Gardening: Seed starting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you for the guidelines... bsavage 2 Mar 31, 2009 12:27 AM
Thank You srandlmt 1 Mar 31, 2009 5:14 AM
Spring weather swings marwood0 0 Mar 30, 2009 5:11 PM
Colo Weather + Gardens = Headaches! skiekitty 0 Mar 30, 2009 5:30 PM
I think you covered it! roybird 0 Mar 30, 2009 7:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America