Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Wild flowers wooded area partial sun and shade

Indianapolis, IN

we have a creek and wooded area behind our house I was wondering what kind of flowers I can get to grow back there..I dont want to make an actual flower bed I just want wild flowers to grow each year....I am not sure what flowers would be good..or if i just buy a pack of wild flower mix and sprinkle them...help! I live in indiana if that helps with suggestions of flowers that would work well

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

There could be a problem with throwing seeds in the wooded area- there may not be enough sun for germination and the existing plants(or weeds) will probably grow quicker than the seedlings eventually killing them. The forget-me-not seeds did germinate, but it was the next year when the trees had no leaves. I planted the seeds many years ago, but last year I had morning glories growing in a pretty dense, overgrown area. Bachelor buttons are pretty common wildflowers growing in Indy as well as the 'native' daylillies-although they won't flower as well in the shade. Some people consider Queen Anne's Lace to be a wildflower. You can probably find info somewhere (I don't know where) of native plants to IN that will grow in this area.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Look online for your local Native Plant Society. That is likely to be a great source of info about what flowers will thrive in that kind of situation.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Ferns and oak leaf hydrangea will both do well in part sun.

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

Go to http://wildflower.org/plants/ and enter your state and the site conditions and you will find many plants that will do well.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow! That is a fantastic website.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.