Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Building a Cold Frame to Jump Start your Spring Garden: Very temporary cold frames

Communities > Forums > Article: Building a Cold Frame to Jump Start your Spring Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Building a Cold Frame to Jump Start your Spring GardenReplies: 2, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Skyflower1
Pender Island
Canada

March 30, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #6340469

I was faced with a problem of needing to keep my seeded pots under plastic but not allowed to put in a proper cold frame and/or greenhouse.

My solution was rather unusual but it worked well enough.

I bought 3 old wooden kitchen chairs ( without arms) at a second hand shop for $3 each. Set them up in a row, side by sides touching. in a level sunny spot and used the seats to hold my plastic flats loaded with seeded pots. I covered the chair seats with plastic so as not to rot out the wood. Then, I covered the entire array with heavy clear plastic and used clothes pins to hold the plastic around the legs of the chairs. The chairs backs kept the plastic well off my loaded flats at an nice angle and since they were off the cold earth below and could warm up quickly, germination was fast! I managed to start an entire garden's worth of vegies ( even pepper and tomato plants) and flowers this way and then simply folded up the plastic and stored the chairs for the following season.
The cost was under $20 and I could take it all with me if I had to move. Awesome.
marwood0
Golden, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6340613

That's a good idea! I made mine using a planter window I pulled out of a house that was about to be demolished and a second one out of an old swamp cooler stand. I found I still had to add heat though (oops! sorry seedlings!). There's my wife's 1200W room heater under the plastic tarp (I gave her an extra blanket) and a 500W halogen in the window. When it got hot on sunny days I just opened the window.

Thumbnail by marwood0
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
10:30 PM

Post #6341916

I am always amazed at the creative ways people find to accomplish what they need! Necessity is the mother of invention! Thanks for reading, and sharing your ideas!

Angie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Building a Cold Frame to Jump Start your Spring Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clever, timely & valuable info davis1676 4 Mar 31, 2009 1:59 AM
Thanks... Sundownr 2 Mar 30, 2009 10:31 PM
Just what I've been looking for RenaV 1 Mar 30, 2009 10:39 PM
cold frames sharonmi 1 Mar 30, 2009 10:28 PM
Nicely done! darius 1 Mar 30, 2009 10:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America