Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Primrose versus pansy; my March madness: hardiness of varieties

Communities > Forums > Article: Primrose versus pansy; my March madness
bookmark
Forum: Article: Primrose versus pansy; my March madnessReplies: 5, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
linnea56
Buffalo Grove, IL

March 30, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6340481

I have one variety of primrose happily established. This I have divided many times. But often I have bought others in the spring and those have not lived. I donít know what the difference is. I planted them near the older primroses since they were happy there. I wonder if some varieties are hardier than others. They all look the same apart from flower color.
alzone7
Gadsden, AL

March 31, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6345233

I don't know much about different varieties, but I have a clump of pretty yellow primroses which have thrived in hot, humid north AL for several years. The secret? They're growing next to the drainage hose from our air conditioner under some butterfly bushes outside our bedroom window. The bushes are cut back in spring, giving a clear view of the primroses, then bush out in summer providing shade for them -- and hiding the leaves in case you don't like them. Personally, I don't have anything against lettuce leaves. ;-)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #6345536

linnea-
I just don't know. How's that for honesty? It's possible that the newer ones you've bought are more recent hybrids and that they just don't perform the same as an older one. You could try your question at the Beginner Flowers forum.

alzone7-
Thanks for your tips. That A/C hose is another type of microclimate I hadn't thought of. How clever, that the hotter it is, your primrose is automatically getting more water. And a good way to accommodate early spring bloomers under something that's bigger later.

Thanks for reading!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6354398

linnea- I came across a clipping my mother gave me from the local paper, which was partly why I decided to write this article-Anyway, the clipping shows Primula vulgaris, and looks very similar to Primula polyanthus.Maybe the one that's doing well for you IS another species, which still looks very similar in flower. That could be enough to make a difference. Good luck! If you take a good picture of yours to a locally owned nursery they might be able to confirm. ( I doubt that a large chain store nursery person will be a reliable source for this kind of question.)
tylertoo
Cantonment, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6363470

Do primroses cohabit with moss? Just wondering. My aunt in Cumberland loves pansies- she'd be happy to know you love them too!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6363701

Found me out!!!
Yes I started planting pansies because of Nonnie. And Mom gave me the clipping. So I guess they are both in here.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Primrose versus pansy; my March madness Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I love them both onewish1 13 Mar 12, 2011 3:11 PM
Lettuce leaves? carrielamont 2 Mar 29, 2009 7:13 PM
Shriveled Primrose Colibritaquin 1 Mar 30, 2009 1:26 PM
Panzies... 78028 1 Mar 14, 2011 3:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America