Photo by Melody

Article: Building a Cold Frame to Jump Start your Spring Garden: cold frames

Communities > Forums > Article: Building a Cold Frame to Jump Start your Spring Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Building a Cold Frame to Jump Start your Spring GardenReplies: 1, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sharonmi
Westland, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6340634

I've been using clear plastic sterlite storage containers for the last several years. Just get them tall enough to allow the seedlings to grow nice and tall. I use a brick to prop it open on warm days (if we ever have any). and put a few bricks on top for windy days (we have plenty of those). They last 3-5 years, then will one day shatter just like glass. Quite a mess to pick up, but it's worth it for these cheap frames. Get them at wal-mart, big lots or dollar stores for the cheapest ones.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #6341910

I sometimes use those for wintersowing. I drill holes in the bottoms and about 1" up on the sides, then fill them with pots of soil and seeds, and leave them out to freeze and thaw during the winter and spring. They do seem to get brittle awfully quickly, though. I wish I could find something comparable that is made to withstand the UV rays! Can't you just see all my plants wearing Ray Bans? LOL

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love how everyone shares ideas and experiences here on DG. . .that's what makes it such an interesting community!

Angie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Building a Cold Frame to Jump Start your Spring Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clever, timely & valuable info davis1676 4 Mar 31, 2009 1:59 AM
Thanks... Sundownr 2 Mar 30, 2009 10:31 PM
Just what I've been looking for RenaV 1 Mar 30, 2009 10:39 PM
Very temporary cold frames Skyflower1 2 Mar 30, 2009 10:30 PM
Nicely done! darius 1 Mar 30, 2009 10:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America