Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Building a Cold Frame to Jump Start your Spring Garden: Nicely done!

Communities > Forums > Article: Building a Cold Frame to Jump Start your Spring Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Building a Cold Frame to Jump Start your Spring GardenReplies: 1, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6340966

Nice photos, clear instructions... well done. :-)

I started building one last year in Feb, to fit an old window I have, then I got sick.. and in the blink of an eye, it was too warm to use. Maybe I'll do another soon.

Although space is not at a premium for me, I like the idea that the one your mother made for you can be hung on the garage wall.

How do you keep it warm enough at night?

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #6341898

I have another article coming out on Tuesday next week, exploring various ways to use the cold frame, and I do go into some options for keeping it warm in that article. If you have access to an electrical outlet outside near your cold frame, there are various ways you can use lights and heating cables to add a little extra warmth. A much more "low tech" (and cheaper!) option is to place several large stones or cement blocks, or gallon jugs of water, inside the cold frame. They absorb heat all day, and then give it off all night.

I really think my favorite feature of this frame design is how easy it is for one person to move and set-up, and take down for storage. It is wonderful to not have to depend on someone else's schedule to determine when we set it up and take it down!

Thanks for reading and commenting, Darius! I'd love to see pictures when you have yours finished! Though my mom has used a frame for years, this is my first year with one (never too old to start, eh?), so I know I'll learn a lot as I go, too!

Angie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Building a Cold Frame to Jump Start your Spring Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clever, timely & valuable info davis1676 4 Mar 31, 2009 1:59 AM
Thanks... Sundownr 2 Mar 30, 2009 10:31 PM
Just what I've been looking for RenaV 1 Mar 30, 2009 10:39 PM
Very temporary cold frames Skyflower1 2 Mar 30, 2009 10:30 PM
cold frames sharonmi 1 Mar 30, 2009 10:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America