can i plant tulip bulbs i forgot to plant last fall?

Western Springs, IL

I bought 150 various tulip bulbs at costco last fall an never got around to planting can I plant them now I live in suburbs of chicago

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Tulips need a period of winter chill to bloom, so unless you've stored them somewhere cold I think it's probably too late. I'm not sure what would happen if you chilled them now in the fridge and then planted them--maybe someone else has tried that and would know.

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

I would skip the chilling this late in the season. Do a fair to middling job planting them and hope for some blooms that are diminished in size but still attractive. Don't space them too far apart. You want a massed effect.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

As l ong as they didn't get mushy - it really matters how you stored them!

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, yes- if they're firm, they may bloom some- if they are mushy they have rotted and the smell would drive you away from the house.

Warren, OH

I planted tulips and daffodils in March in northern Ohio. My husband had bought them dirt cheap in the winter and we left them in the garage. I put the tulips in some planter boxes because they were mixed and I didn't want to commit. The tulips bloomed mid-May. The daffodils worked out great. We also had hyacinths forgotten in the basement and planted those in March. Popped up beautifully.

Thumbnail by Rosemarie13

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.