What have you wintersowed so far #5

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is a new thread for posting what we have sown so far.

Here is where we came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/960226/

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

just marking my place on this new thread ^_^

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you for new thread from a dial upper. It is much appreciated!

Kannapolis, NC

Joining in here as well.

Brownstown, IN(Zone 5b)

Today sowed my alyssum in the "brownie pan" I used 2 1/2 pkgs of seed and used the top of those plastic fruit trays you get at the deli one on top and one on bottom. Tied together with twist ties from garbage bags. Wanted to use my coated wire that I could cut to the length that I needed but it was nowhere near the spot it has been in for the 5 or 6 years I have had it. hmmmm.... That should conclude my wsowing for this year.

Thief River Falls, MN(Zone 3b)

Thank you tcs1366............this is much better!

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Indynanny, nothing is ever where it was when you need it to be there. You shoulda known better.

Sonoita, AZ(Zone 8a)

Time to plant out my cucumbers, now I just have to hide them from my peafowl.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I still have zinnia's and comos to do...just waiting a bit. I have sprouts in both of containers of Lady In Red Salvia. That makes me very happy!!!

Oh I have to to do my dill too...forgot about it!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I do have one Cosmos sprout. it's the White Sensation.

Kinderhook, NY(Zone 5b)

Here are my results so far. This has been a fun project! The true test will be whether I actually get flowering plants when all is said and done.

The first date listed is the "sow" date. The second date listed is the "germination" date.

Delphinium Magic Fountains Dark Blue W/D , 3-Feb, 24-Mar
Delphinium Magic Fountains Sky Blue with White Bee, 3-Feb, 26-Mar
Delphinium Magic Fountains Cherry Blossom W/W, 3-Feb, 24-Mar
Black Eyed Susan Vine Sunrise Surprise, 3-Feb, not yet
Lobelia Fountain Blue, 3-Feb, 27-Mar
Shasta Daisy Crazy Daisy, 3-Feb, 18-Mar
Cosmos BiPinnatus Gazebo Red, 3-Feb, not yet
Dowdswell Delphinium Gift Genuine Mix, 3-Feb, 24-Mar
Dowdswell Delphinium Royal Aspirations (mix of blues), 3-Feb, 31-Mar
Dowdswell Delphinium Sunny Skies (light blue/white bees), 3-Feb, 19-Mar
Burpee Pacific Giant (left over from 2008), 3-Feb, not yet
Morning Glory Mount Fuji Mix, 11-Feb, not yet
Larkspur, 11-Feb, 31-Mar
Pumpkin Jack be little, 11-Feb, not yet
our collected nasturtium seeds, 16-Feb, not yet
hercules pumpkin, 16-Feb, not yet
fordhook snapdragon, 16-Feb, 27-Mar
shirley poppy, 16-Feb, 18-Mar
snowdrift marigold, 16-Feb, not yet
Parsley Big Italy Burpee Sig, 22-Feb, not yet
cilantro Coriander Burpee Sig, 22-Feb, not yet
Sweet Basil Ocimum basilicum Burpee Sig, 22-Feb, not yet
Sweet Marjoram origanum marjorana burpee not sig, 22-Feb, 27-Mar
Connecticut Yankee Delphiniums, 2-Mar, not yet
Black Eyed Susan Vine Sunrise Surprise, 2-Mar, not yet
Shasta Daisy Crazy Daisy (0558), 2-Mar, 31-Mar
Hollyhock Peaches and Dreams, 2-Mar, 31-Mar
Red Burst Aster, 2-Mar, 18-Mar
Maxmillian Seeds, 16-Mar, not yet
Grandpa Ott Morning Glory Seeds, 16-Mar, not yet
Shirley poppy, 16-Mar, 31-Mar
Foxglove Excelsior Hybrid Mix, 16-Mar, not yet
Flowering Cabbage Ornamental Mix, 16-Mar, 31-Mar
Hollyhock Peaches and Dreams (1022), 16-Mar, 31-Mar
Delphinium Butterfly Blend, 17-Mar, not yet
Delphinium Magic Fountain Sky Blue, 17-Mar, not yet
Delphinium Magic Fountain Cherry Blossom, 17-Mar, not yet
Red Velvet Celosia, 22-Mar, not yet
Flowering Cabbage Ornamental Mix, 22-Mar, not yet
Pumpkin Hercules, 22-Mar, not yet
Pumpkin Jack be little, 22-Mar, not yet
Dowdswell Delphinium Sunny Skies (light blue/white bees), 31-Mar, not yet
Echinacea White Swan, 31-Mar, not yet

This message was edited Apr 1, 2009 4:21 PM

This message was edited Apr 1, 2009 4:22 PM

Kannapolis, NC

Sandstreet: Wow, what a list! Great job there. Hope they all bloom for you. None of my delphs sprouted or at least not yet, but some I have read take a long time to do so. I'll leave them alone and see what, if anything, happens. I will try again, though.

Kinderhook, NY(Zone 5b)

I had all my Delphinium seeds in the freezer for at least 2 weeks before sowing. See if that helps. Also, I don't think I'll get anything out of my oldest seed packet -- nothings coming up in that jug. I hear Delph seed needs to be fresh. Good Luck!! It's well worth it!

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

My Delphinium Magic Fountain mix has sprouted, but the Blue Butterfly Delph hasn't. I didn't plant them at the same time though. The Magic Fountain was planted 3/7 and sprouted 3/29 and the Butterfly was only planted 3/15.
That was a 22 day germination for the Magic Fountain in Zone 7, so hopefully yours will sprout yet..we never give up hope, right? :)

Kannapolis, NC

Well, since those delphs were some of my first WS'd seeds in December, I think they're probably not going to sprout, so I'm sowing some more this weekend to see if I can get some up and growing.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Very nice. I still have some veggies to do as well as my cosmos and gazania. I have to go through my seed box and see what else is in there.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Have hope on the delphs. I have some sprouting, but it was a long wait. Planted in Feb. and sprouting this past week.

Karen

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Karen,,, did you chill your Delph seeds first? I've put mine in the frig... but i dont have much hope for them, as they are old seeds.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

No, I didn't chill them first. Mother Nature did it for me.

Karen

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I'm curious to see if mine germinate. I've not had luck previously.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

We have germination!

I haven't been looking at my containers b/c I didn't want to be disappointed. Today is a warm, sunny day, so I took a look. The Lewis' flax is showing little sprouts in 2 containers. There's also a prairie blazing star sprout in another container. Three out of 20+ containers - not a lot yet, but a good sign this early in the season.

I noticed many of the seeds had risen to the surface of the mix in some of the containers, so I sprinkled new potting mix over the top in those containers. Hopefully that won't disorient 'em.

BTW, has anyone else had a transparent, gelatinous goo emerge in some of their containers? I've seen it in several. When I pick it up, it literally feels like Jell-o. Anyone know what that is?

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

I think I saw that movie! Save the town!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>gelatinous goo emerge in some of their containers? I've seen it in several. When I pick it up, it literally feels like Jell-o. Anyone know what that is?

sounds like Water-sorb crystals.

Is it possible that there was some in your potting mix?

I know one year i had a small bowl blow over in the wind.... i still find "jello" after a heavy rain in the oddest places in my yard.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I thought it might be related to something in the mix. I'll have to check, but that's probably what it is.

Havelock, Canada

Woe is me. I still have no sprouts. Nada. Zip. Zero Nada. Not a one :(

I am patiently (okay - not really patiently) waiting.

I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I wanna believe. I really do. Oh. I really do!

Pouting in my corner for now

Elaine and the ever-so-loyal Otis

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Maybe your seeds are procratinators.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Procrastinator, I have not one single sprout either, and I'm in zone 6a. I want to believe too!!!! Is there still hope? I'm sure glad I did a bit of indoor planting.

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

There is always hope!

Havelock, Canada

I did indoor planting too. And I am continuing to do so. Guess we just have to be patient.

I have to tell myself that so many wonderful people would not be so enthusiastic about a method that doesn't work.

I am not paranoid enough to believe that it is some kind of practical joke that everyone has singled me out to be the butt of. Now that is just crazy thinking.

Mother Nature knows best. That is what I will keep telling myself. I know that I will see sprouts soon. We still are getting below freezing temps at night so I guess I just have to patiently wait.

I'll be shouting from the roof tops when I see my first sprout. You can bet on that :)

Take care all and BTW - It is comforting to know that I am not alone and have a friend in 6a without sprouts too.

Hugs Elaine and Otis

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I think it depends a lot on what you sowed and where your containers are located. I don't have any vegetables or "tried and true" garden plants, just wild species, mostly natives. Seems as if many of the germination reports from colder zones have been of cold-season veggies & the more common garden plants.

However, my containers are on a deck where they get a lot of sun, so that might help them emerge early. Being on a deck does mean that there's air underneath the containers, and most nights have been freezing here, so that factor might slow them down. Given all the factors involved, I'm not worried yet about the low germination rate I'm getting.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2009 8:39 PM

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I also suspect that zone doesn't tell us everything about the conditions for germination. I live in a middling zone because we don't extreme temps, but our winter will last longer than that of someone in zone 5 in southern Illinois. The seeds might "know" to wait longer, until day and night temps are higher.

Kinderhook, NY(Zone 5b)

The plants that I have germinating are things that like the cold.

Only 3 things I sowed March 16th are up (Poppy, Flowering Cabbage, Hollyhock). Everything else coming up was sowed 3/2 or earlier.

Also I have my jugs on a very dark green deck, so I think it really warms them up and retains the heat. Hang in there! This is the first time for me and I am now a believer!

Lansing, KS(Zone 5b)

I have several more babies in addition to my previous sproutlets of black-eyed susan, digitalis 'Excelsior', lauren grape poppy today there are babies of tall mixed dianthus, autumn clematis, rose of sharon, heliopsis helianthoides,
purple petunia, cosmos 'Sensation', cosmos pink, allium, coreopsis grandiflora, salvia' Brenthurst' , salvia tall peach and rose campion. Our temperatures have decreased after the weekend snowstorm, but Spring is really coming!

Kannapolis, NC

Elaine: You'll have sprouts, I'm sure. This was my first attempt at WSing and I'm a believer. I never would have thought this would work, but it does, and I'm amazed at some of the things that sprouted for me using this method: Codonopsis, Rudbeckia, salvias, Gaillardia, Clarkia and finally my Buxton's Blue geranium! Yeehaa!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Elaine, spring weather is heading your way, so I'm betting you'll be seeing sprouts soon. Considering your zone, I'd say your right on track :-)

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

No two zones are a like - many have microclimates. I also agree that it depends on what you sowed and when you sowed it.

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

This was my first year to WS and I felt foolish doing it, but so many were extolling the virtues of the practice that I had to try. My only regret is that I did not do more. I am looking forward to next year. I will save seed this year and will buy dicounted seed at end of season, so that I am prepared.
I think that seed saving will be an important part of next year's gardening. The seed companies are all reporting a record sale year. We all know that companies of all sort in the past have always raised prices after a bumper year. I am afraid next year seed prices are going to go thru the roof.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

I just sowed more leaf lettuce, chard, and spinach. The first lettuce and spinach are already planted out in their container homes, the first sowing of the chard is in the sproutlet stage, but I want more! More!

Lol. Today it is snowing sweetly out there, in between bouts of sunshine, everybody has their hats off being kissed by the snowflakes.

At night now when it freezes I do cover the ones that are germinated, and the open containers, with fabric, but I am leaving the newer jugs uncovered except for their regular "hats". Yesterday I sowed about 8 different ones, salvia, cleome, agastache, a few other things -- seeds I had just gotten.

Spring is sure a crazy time! But I think I am learning what works for me with wintersowing and what does better in other ways. I wintersowed some Morning Glory and as of yet, nothing. So I soaked some seeds and sowed them inside on a sunny windowsill (inside a ziplock bag) and they sprouted in two days.

Right now I have tomatoes, peppers, basil, one variety of foxglove that did not germinate in its WS pot, cucumbers, all lined up on that sunny windowsill.

Two varieties of foxglove did germinate outside but for some reason this one did not so giving it the option this way. ;-)

This morning I had fresh spinach and kale leaves in my omelette, something I never could have had, from my own growing, if I had not wintersown them.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Kathy -- also watch the Seed Trading Forum... you can find some great finds in there... and there is usually a big Swap going on after seed harvesting starts [Sept - Jan/Feb time frame]

I generally do not buy seeds anymore.

Havelock, Canada

Thanks to all for your wonderful, supportive words. I will keep watching.

If I was a seed I wouldn't really want to start sprouting until the weather was consistently nicer too.

I am going to be more active in the seed trading this fall. At least that is my goal. I will be forever grateful to Neal for giving me a much needed boost - his knowledge and his generous gift of wonderful seeds.

Thanks again
Will keep you posted

Hugs Elaine and Otis

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.