Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

How do you organize your needlework stuff?

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm thinking about the stitchbow system pictured, but also like the flossaway file:

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Youngstown, NY

I found plastic storage boxes at the Christmas Shoppe that I use. They have 3 compartments and snap together. The top one is smaller so I keep needles,etc. in that one and thread in bottom two. They even have a handle for easy taking along with you. They were only $1.99. I bought one and when I saw how good it worked went back and bought 6 more for other projects.

can I see a picture of your set-up?

Plano, TX

do you crochet or knit?

I do hand embroidery,silk ribbon embroidery, and stumpwork, or 3-D type dimensional embroidery

And recently I've gotten interested in 3-d flower beading on wire

Plano, TX

i've seen the flower beading--really pretty--i need to look up some stumpwork to get an idea of what it looks like--i imagine you do beautiful work! i remember embordering in the past----might not remember all the stitches if i tried now--

There is a lady on ebay selling bead flowers right now, and it is so tempting to buy hers, instead of learn and make them myself, but I still think it would be fun. I've always loved beads and often thread them onto my embroidery projects.

I purchased a few bead flower books, so now all I need to do is try it.

I usually embroider in the fall, when there is more gardening down-time.

Plano, TX

when i saw the bead flowers they were made with a beading machine--the wire spins around and the little beads somehow get on it---
i know what you mean--i told myself i would just buy what i want instead of having to make everything--but i just can't help myself!! i want to learn so many things and when i do i get a bit obsessed with it!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Seedpicker, I do a lot of needlepoint, emroidery, punchneedle, etc, that all seems to require a different type of thread or yarn & different types of needles. For most of my cotton floss, I've purchased the small plastic bags that have holes punched in the corners and have a small white box that you can write in a name or color number. Mostly I keep mine in order by number, using a large metal ring so I can easily add or remove threads. I tried the smaller cardboard things like in the flossaway file, but felt like I spent too much time winding the threads onto the carboard. With the clear plastic envelopes I can see pretty quickly what colors I have & can guage the amount that I have better than with the cards. I bought a DMC book a couple years ago that had all theeir colors in it by color family & by number, & that's been very helpful in sorting things.
When I do have a specific project, I pull the colors I need onto a separate, smaller ring, or put it a small tote bag so that what I need is all together to grab & go with me.

Good luck with your projects!
Pat in Cincinnati

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.