Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Japanese Maples: Recommendation

Communities > Forums > Japanese Maples
bookmark
Forum: Japanese MaplesReplies: 5, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6346446

I'm finally getting around to planning a bed for the front of my property to welcome visitors. THe space is at the edge of a young fir/hemlock/cedar forest, facing east. It does get dappled light, but not a whole lot of light at any time during the year.

I'd like to put a JM that gets maybe 20' maximum in there. Something non-weeping that turns yellow in the fall. The more bright green to chartreuse the leaves are during the summer, the better as greens tend to fade into one another in our forests.

Does anyone have a recommendation of what they think might work well?
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 1, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #6350376

I think that Sango Kaku would go well there. It is yellow in the fall but not spectacularly. However the leaves stay a very light green in the summer. I have the same problem with a dark background and mine works very well there.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31538/

Another possibiltiy is Koto no Ito which has very pale green leaves and does turn a beautiful color in the fall. It is more likely to be a 10 foot tree though so that may rule it out. I'd prefer putting a smaller tree in the space rather than larger. It will spread more than the other two I have listed here though.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/84947/

Another tree that is the right size and shape is Butterfly. It's leaves will be almost white in the shade in the summer but it doesn't do much in the fall.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/78236/

Don't believe the small sizes of some of these trees that are advertised. In your zone they will in all probablity get much bigger, only slowed down by the shade. For instance, Butterfly is known to be able to get to 20 feet although many places say that it will stay shorter.

I'm sure that there will be others who have even better ideas.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #6350569

I love having others' input. I gave my Sango Kaku to my neighbor because she already had the perfect spot for it and I knew I'd be able to enjoy it while driving by. But I'd love to have any excuse to get another for myself.

Thanks for your other suggestions, I will look at them and "place" them in the space as I head by. I hadn't really thought of white in the space or of the lines of a more spreading tree. That's good food for thought . . .
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #6351455

doss those are good suggestions - i was at a loss when i read this post earlier - and i have two sango kaku's :) brain cramp i guess :)

and you've helped my where not to plant the butterfly i have in a planter currently

good luck katie!
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 2, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6352663

How generous to give your tree to a neighbor! I know that you can find something really wonderful to put there.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2009
3:26 AM

Post #6353006

They are really helpful neighbors. And her husband helps me out with "guy" things (like driving the garbage up to the top of the hill where the garbage trucks come).

Of course, I only 1/2 enjoy the tree now. The other 1/2 of the time I want one of my own. Ha ha.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America