Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: April 2009 in the garden

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 279, Views: 892
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2009
4:46 AM

Post #6348355

April flowers in the garden...

NOT - Happy April Fool's day everyone. Seriously, all, please post your April garden photos here.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2009 9:50 PM

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2009
4:50 AM

Post #6348365

I was helping out some Danish visitors with their soil sampling here in Davis and there was a wheat field within the experimental area. I did not realize that they maintain the green color even after they are pretty dried. Think I will keep them for a while and see how well they hold up overtime.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

April 1, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #6349256

hi all
every thing is great here at elle farm
elle
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 1, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6349477

Thanks for the new April thread Dianne. Love the wheat!
Hi elle!

Look at these pretty tulips in my garden today...

Thumbnail by terriculture

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 1, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6349491

Aprils FOOLS!!!! they are in a vase!

Happy day everyone!

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6350046

Good one Terri. Thanks for the new thread Dianne, lovely beginning.
Terri I feel your pain on the arbor, ours is about to collapse and Steve is going to make me a new one, wish you were closer he could make 2.
I went to water my plumeria yesterday it is about 5' tall in a pot in the living room and had 3 branches on it, well guess what after all these years it got the rot. 2 of the branches were rotted and the main stalk had a bad rot bruise about 2' from the bottom. I had it next to a swivel chair and believe that it may have gotten bumped too hard from company and got the rot. I cut to whole top out of it as it had one little shoot toward the bottom about the 1' mark and the one good arm I stuck in soil and hope to root? We shall see.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6350695

Well, today it is sunny, soggy and 50.. no gardening...too cold to swim and trowel!

Hey elle, pass us some of that summer heat!

I got a rabbit from Hawaii! A-low ha! hahahaha! April Fools!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6355040

Funny blossom, nice lei - warmer here in the high 50's but completely overcast no sunshine like they promised, dang!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #6355150

Talking about a lay.. the ALOHA Bunny left me something in the garden.. LOL!

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6356632

Terri,

The Fringe Flower is also called Chinese Witch Hazel. Here is a close up from plant files...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/68543/
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 3, 2009
11:41 AM

Post #6358358

Candee, it's a shame about your Plumeria, hope it roots for you. I hate it when we lose our plants!!
I will miss the arch, but now thats it's gone the forsythia has taken on an arch shape LoL!
Steve is making a new arbor, Lucky you!

Blossom, love the flower garland, A low ha !

Yardqueen, Thanks for the picture, it looks like a very nice plant with lovely flowers.
Cissy's brick planter is going to be great!
How are things over your way? are we in or out with the seedlings today? LOL!
Hope the Birthday party preparations are coming on well?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 3, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6359540

I had a little wander round with my camera the garden today ...
Forsythia

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 3, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6359549

yellow balls! kerria something or other, is in full bloom..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 3, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #6359554

I will cut it back when it's finished flowering.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 3, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #6359563

wallflower just starting to open...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 3, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6359568

Peony on it's way up!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 3, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6359578

Foxglove, forget me nots and crocosmia starting to appear!

Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 3, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6359580

Bluebonnets are wonderful.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 3, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6359590

Hi Sally, What a pretty picture! Are Bluebonnets bulbs?
Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 3, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6359623

No, they come up from seed. They are a VERY big deal here in Texas. Our State Flower. They and many wildflowers grow on our highways. Ladybird Johnson did so much for us by having seeds put out to help the flowers already there. There is a Ladybird Johnson park near Kerrville. We go to the Hill County every year, lots of flowers there. We just got back from three days there. I see a doctor there also.

I named my sweet new car Bluebonnet. I am also going to get license plates with the flower on it. Texas has a lot of diff. plates you can get.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 3, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6359681

Oh yes, I love your car! Sounds like a great park, nice you spent three days there.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 3, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #6360114

We didn't stay in the park for three days. We were in the little towns in the area. So pretty. Huge live oaks, hills, German food! We stay in a B&B with OLD homes made of stone.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2009 1:33 PM
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

April 4, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #6362872

hi all
i would like all the flower
it look like a fun vac
well the goat count is up to 12
8 boy and 4 girl
elle
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #6363511

Sally,

Were you in New Braufels? Oma's Haus? We go to San Antonio very often as my Mother lives there. We ALWAYS stop at Oma's on the way home.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6363995

I liked San Antonia back in the 70's.. that was the last time I was there, bet it has changed! There are lots of places in TX I loved! Would love to go back to see if I feel the same!

Sen real estate brochures!
Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 4, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #6364777

We always go to Fredericksburg, Boerne and Kerrville. We love it. I love to go to the nurseries and eat yummy German food and bbq. Lots of fun shopping. Our doggie goes with us of course.

Here is what the OLD homes look like.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #6365367

I loved the river walk in San Antonio...I almost bought a house in Brownsville down by Corpus! It was cool! It have 5 acres, a nice rolling meadow and the home was cedar! The only problem with the home was that the cedar smell actually got to me! I liked the Amarillow area, that Palo Duro state park was awesome. Used to horseback ride there! Bet that has changed a lot!

Texas is one of those great states that has a lot of diversity in the rea estate and landscape. Beautiful territory, but I bet it has build up very much since back then. I was in areas that you did not see much for nearly 100 miles. Down towards El Paso those salt flats were too much! But I was lucky one year to see the desert in bloom! OOOH MY GOD never saw anything liek it and so beautiful.. too bad the spring only lasted 2 weeks! It was awesome!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #6365645

I grew up in San Antonio, but left after I got married in 67. We live in East Texas now, which is of course different than South, West , or North (Panhandle). You are right about the diversity. I think DH once told me there are about 5 or so geological regions

This message was edited Apr 4, 2009 9:29 PM
Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 5, 2009
3:38 AM

Post #6365861

Yep, Texas is like a whole country, so diverse and HUGE. Lots to do. We have seen a lot of it. I have been in Big Bend when it was blooming and it was stunning.
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2009
3:58 AM

Post #6365925

My Daddy loved that sight SOOO much! He really wanted to go this year, but he passed away in January. We had planned on taking him if he was able to travel, but his health would have had to improve for that, which did not happen. In better times he and mother traveled in their motor home all over the US including Alaska, and also to Canada. They saw a lot of beautiful sights, but one of his favorites was Big Bend, right here in Texas.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 5, 2009
4:53 AM

Post #6366096

The traveling your parent's did reminds me of my g.parents! They had a Silver Streak trailer. SO NICE. They were in the club and met friends from all over and they had so much fun! Parties she would decorate, learn games and taught us. They had many stories.

My sister and I went with them from TX to San Fran, Ca. and we got to pick the highways and what we did. I was in 7th grade. We stayed with my uncle in S. Fran. and he showed us everything. I have been back and always remember his tour and pretty home. That trip was amazing.

I am sorry about your father. So glad he got to travel earlier. Lots of good memories.

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2009
8:26 AM

Post #6366381

Yes they did have lots of memories. They were in a club also and they did the same things you speak of. Your trip to San Francisco reminds me of ours... DH and me... when we were newlyweds. We had to drive from San Antonio to Tacoma WA, and we stopped in San Fransisco and spent a few days with an aunt and uncle. They took us to China Town, Haight Ashbury (sp), The Golden Gate bridge and we saw Alctraz fron a distance. We saw some other things but I don't really remember everything as this was over 41 years ago... LOL
Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 5, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6368521

Sounds great Yardqueen. Fun place to visit for sure. We went all over Cal. when we lived there for 8 years. We have been back in Texas for almost eight years.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 6, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6369877

We worked outside today. Our Crepe Myrtles are blooming now. Nastursiums here in this picture too.

Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 6, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6369886

Repotted lots of containers. BIG and small. Here is one on the table.

Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 6, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6369891

I planted this a few weeks ago. I have an herb garden on the side of my house, but this is so handy!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2009
5:18 AM

Post #6370641

I posted this in the peony forum, but it was such a great photo that I just had to post it here too. I can't take credit for it - my daughter took the picture with her fancy camera.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
5:40 AM

Post #6370728

Awesome new pics!!

I have been in 42 states and the eastern half of Canada.. I still like Texas...I think actually it has 7 ecosystems or geological regions.

Each state does have some area that is precious. I cannot stand Illinois. Must be because I have lived here forever. Its hard to move when good friends are here. I would like to go someplace warmer..more year round.. A private island would be nice...but if my rain keeps up, will not have to worry about having shores!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2009
5:52 AM

Post #6370745

Blossom - I have lived in California all my life after immigrating here from Hong Kong/China when I was 5 years old. I have visited other states, but only for very short periods. I am definitely a Californian who would not know what to do in such cold weather. Here is photo of a pink dogwood to give you a glimpse of warm weather to come.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2009
5:54 AM

Post #6370749

and a close up. I am taking advantage of my daughter's photography while I can until I find my old little cheapie camera.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
11:04 AM

Post #6371030

Soils, Short sleeves vs long sleeves...heavy coats, scarves mittens.. boots...I soooo envy you for your better weather. I have lived the weather extremes for all my life...the older I get, the harder it is especially with a disability. I do not like having cabin fever and being cooped up for 5-6 months because I am an outdoor person. I have been to California. It was magnificant when I came through. I loved the ocean, the redwood forest, San Fransisco was a nice place to visit...

I am not so sure I could handle the "shakey" side of California! I have been through 2 minor quakes in here and nothing monumental.. I do not like that virtigo feeling at all! Here I have endured extreme weather from tornadoes to blizzards, to hot to colder, floods and hail storms. Been through high winds and pleasant days too.

When I was younger and able to travel a lot, the country was totally different and not so built up. You could drive for miles and not see another building or home if you were out in the rural avenues. The country wsa beautiful then and not with so much conjesting as it is getting to be now. The air was clean, the waters were fresh, the roads were better and travel was good. Now it is miserable with so many on the road and rudeness being so in fashion for many.

I can tell you states I have not been in easier than ones I have.. letsee, Alaska, Florida, Mississippi, Louisana, North and South Carolina, Idaho. Well, I guess I miss counted, I have been in 43 states.

China, I know littla about. I always thought it got cold there. All I literally know about China is our country imports mega amounts of goods from there and panda bears hail from there! I hear it is lovely country, but highly populated and a lot of expat jobs are overseas.

Yesterday it was raining.. had another 2 inches on top of 3 earlier in the week. My garden is flooded. Last night we started getting snow and this morning, I have nearly 2 inches of cold heavy wet on the ground! Apparently, spring is not completely here and by the time that happens we crash into hot summer. We have a saying out here that if you dont like the weather, just wait a few hours, it chances are will change. We bounce from hot and cold so abrubtly some years coming in to spring... you can have winter one day, spring the next and fall, then back to winter again .
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2009
11:37 AM

Post #6371094

Sally you sure know how to make up potted arrangements. How bout you come over and do mine cause no matter what I do, it just never seems to turn out good.
Dianne your daughter sure take a fine shot, but think that you couldn't go wrong especially with that striking peony! wow!
blossom, we just got to get some sunshine over your way, I will start waving my magic wand - whoosh, shoosh, abracadabra, the sun shall shine on blossombuddy!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
12:51 PM

Post #6371338

You better get some more hocus pocus!!! LOL

Not saying a word...

sniff sniff!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #6371351

Sniff...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 15, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #6414393

Hi all,
Lovely containers Sally!
Nice pictures Dianne, the sky looks so blue in Califoria!! WoW your peony is gorgeous.
Sorry the snow came back Blossom!
How did the garden Birthday party go Yardqueen? Have you put all your seedlings out yet?
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #6416235

oh, Terri! The party went great, but I am exhausted! I had a LOT to do before the party, and I haven't been the same since! We had about 24 people here! DH & I did work out in the yard trying to put stuff out. and we did get everything out of the greenhouse for the LAST TIME this year! There can be no more freezes now unless it is a freak of nature and it would be a real record breaker! Things are starting to look good, but I did not get all of the seedlings planted. Just a fraction! And we did a lot, but as I said just a fraction of what is there...

Blooming now...

Yarrow

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6416240

shrimp plant

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6416246

Wiegelia

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6416257

Sweet William

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6416267

Dianthus

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6416273

more Diantus

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6416284

Phlox

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6416305

wood sorrel

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #6416320

azalea

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #6416329

crazy azalea

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6416337

I think it wanted to bloom to death this year! LOL

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6416351

And last but by no means least! My favorite for the year...

Clematis

Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 16, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6416585

Wonderful photos, Yardqueen!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2009
4:04 AM

Post #6417192

Very nice, yardqueen. You are at least 3-4 weeks ahead of me. I have some ranunculus in bloom.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2009
7:25 AM

Post #6417514

Thanks ya'll! I am so excited to see flowers again!

Soils. that is beautiful. I don't have any ranunculus. I need to get some since it is an early bloomer. I just love stuff that says spring!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2009
11:24 AM

Post #6417674

I can see why you are excited yardqueen you have lots in bloom and lovely sunshine to boot!
Lovin those ranunculus Dianne!
Guess I am 3-4 weeks behind everyone, but least today is sunshine!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2009

Post #6418475

Well, you guys are so waaay ahead of me!! I am still in daffodil mode...But today, no blooms!

And guess what I got sunshine! WHoohoo!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6418901

My daffs are long gone, and are finally laying down a bit. I wish they would die down... I have stuff to plant there! LOL
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6419055

Yardqueen - I couldn't stand the daffodil leaves lying on the ground so I hacked them down to about 6-7 inches. They have multiplied so much that if the early cutting set them back a bit, that may be a good thing. LoL. I just got some oriental lilies in a trade, so maybe I will plant them inbetween the patches of daffodils. I have not found a good spot in my yard for the oriental lilies yet - they do great for the first two years, and then, disappears.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 16, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6419568

Hi Yardqueen, Wow they all look so healthy and beautiful. Are they roses in the plant pots next to your Clematis?
Your Azalias would win any flower show LOL! Fantastic pictures.
Sounds like it was worth all the effort for the party and your garden looks amaising.
You don't have Ranunculus? it must be the only thing you dont have LOL!

Love the Ranunculus Dianne!

It's been raining alot here in London, send some sunshine over this way please!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6419574

Spoke too soon, the spring beauties just opened

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 16, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #6419586

Hi Blossom, what are those delicate looking white flowers?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6419727

Well, mate, those are spring beauties!!

Hey, the pank creeping garden phlox opened too!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 16, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6419744

LOL, I haven't heard of spring beauties, whats the real name? Lovely Phlox!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #6419764

And the blue.. hmmm looks like the pic are reversed.. sorry about that... this is pank, the top one is blue..

Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 16, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #6420064

So pretty! Here is another container. There is a twin on the other side of the door.

Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 16, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #6420085

We just replaced the cool loving flowers with warm loving ones in the yard. Here is the fountain area. This is a disappearing fountain.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6420094

Abott!! Whose on first? LOL SPRING BEAUTIES!

Costello: Whats on second?

ABOTT AND COSTELLO: all together now... SPRING BEAUTIES!

LOL! Third base!!

MATE: SPRING BEAUTIES!!

Ok, here is another phlox, its a wild one growing on our prairie... and I do not know the name.. probably something simple like prairie phlox!!! LOL!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 17, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6421314

Ok, they are Spring Beauties still never heard of them!! LOL. Lovely collection of plox.

What are those in your planter Sally? it looks very nice with the pastel colours. Are they purple Salvia in your fountain area? Such a cool corner, looks great!
Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 17, 2009
3:26 AM

Post #6421928

The fountain area has hot pink salvia and yes, purple. Little mounding coriopsis too, the white flowers are snowflakes or something, I forget. I LOVE them. I have them everywhere.

I forget the light and dark purple flower names in the container, but the red is Cuphia, bat face. SO CUTE.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2009 9:28 PM
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 17, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6423953

Who are you callin' bat face? LOL!

Does anyone know what Sally's tall purple flowers in the container are called? I really like them!
Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 17, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #6424480

I think maybe they are Veronica now that I am thinking again.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6429979

Well, roses might be red, but my violets are this color...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #6430028

And...well its not a violet and I am not sure what it is.. scilla maybe?

Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 19, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #6430251

I looked and they are Angelonia angustifolia hybrid. Angel face Dresden Blue. That is the lighter ones.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 19, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #6431631

Thanks Sally, I knew they were not Veronica! I will look for Angelonia, did you grow them from seeds or buy as little plants?

Pretty little violets Blossom!
Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 19, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #6431759

They were plants. I grow nastursium from seed, but not much else. I want it NOW! ha. I do grow caladiums from bulbs too, but mostly, I buy nice plants for my containers and yard. Whoops, I posted this already. I was trying to show the nasturtiums. Too bad you can't change the photo isn't it?

This message was edited Apr 19, 2009 8:04 AM

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 19, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6431800

LOL! I have often thought that Sally! Usually when I've made an awful arrangement!!
I like the frames you make for your pictures, they look really neat. I like the flowing grassy plant in the foreground, what is that? Plantgeek sent me some Beargrass seeds, I'm looking forward to that growing.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #6432200

Will have more pics later. spring is popping, but we got rain again.. Well, beats snow hands down though!

Let it rain!! We are gonna have to start laughing at it!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6433992

Ok, todays beauty... I have no clue as to what she is, but a friend of mine gave it to me and it is lovely!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6434249

Well, now here is a pretty I got from a friend of mine...Don't know what it is, but she made her appearance today, just another lovely daf of some description!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6434533

Blossom - that looks like a poeticus. I bought some a few years ago, but it stopped blooming after two years. The stalks still comes up. I may just dig it out and try moving it somewhere else. It is a pretty flower though.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2009
5:21 AM

Post #6435506

white azalea in bloom

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2009
5:24 AM

Post #6435511

Terri - here is a shot of my white planter - in bloom now is the white Tree peony, white Dutch Iris, and white bletilla striata. I wish I had Blossom's white daffodil in there too!!

Thumbnail by soilsandup

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
11:32 AM

Post #6435967

I think you are right on that soils, but I have really no clue. I thought it was a peacock eye but that probably is just another common name.

Lovely flowers there BTW! I am envying you for your weather...sigh

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #6437487

My, we should have called this thread blooms galore! Everyone is getting quite a display.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6437531

Well, I was able to get out and pick more daffs.. here is todays collection...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6437538

White with an orange throat...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6437547

Some doubles.. these are my mid season daffs.. just starting.. Usually about the time we get these blooming, we get a nasty storm.. rare is the year they bloom without a hit. dang.. prepare ye me umbrella!! LOL!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
6:13 PM

Post #6437558

I am not sure what these are, but they are minis!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #6437561

A whiteish with yellow

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #6437569

I think these are King ALfreds.. well any way,. some yellow of some description!

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #6437572

You have a larger variety than my garden catalogs blossom, you must have some of every species. Now get back up on the porch before the skies start hammering you with sheets of rain!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #6437581

Nope, not done with the daffs yet! LOL! Here are some of my near whites

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6437593

Is your reall name "daff-a-ne"
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #6437601

Ok, now I am done on todays daffs, but seriously, ther are more varieties out there.. LOL!

Here is a violet

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #6437646

No, and it is not Violet or Petunia!! LOL!

Race ya to the Petunia patch...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/886394/

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 20, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #6437773

Your white planter and Azalea is looking lovely Dianne, so fresh and full!

Blossom your Daff collection is terrific! I love seeing them all together in the vases, it's too hard to pick a fav, they are all beautiful! What is the leaf in with the minis?

Candee, daff-a-ne... too funny!!LOL
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #6437877

The leaf with the minis is a pothos or some call it varigated devils ivy.

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #6438967

Here is my pink flowering almond. I did a hard prune on it last year so it is smaller than usual, but still pretty in pink.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #6438981

And here is my forget me nots that Terri inspired me to plant.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6439011

And I also have bleeding hearts in bloom. Didn't ever get the white ones I intended.

Thumbnail by haighr

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 20, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6439165

Those leaves look good for arrangements Blossom!

The almond blooms look soooooooooo beautiful Candee! Do the flowers last long when cut?
Nice to see you forgot me not!!! yours looks like a variagated leaf?
PANK bleedin' heart is just as nice as white.

Gosh, I'd better get out in the garden soon, you are all putting me to shame with my lack of pictures, well into April.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 21, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6439498

Wow, what beautiful flowers, everyone!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2009
6:25 AM

Post #6440990

Candee - I have never seen an almond blossom up close before - very lovely.

I never can grow bleeding hearts successfully - do they make cut cut flowers?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6442715

I think bleeding haerts do fine as cut flowers, but are short vase lived.

Why does that rain guage keep following me? LOL!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #6442727

Dandelions

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6442778

Flowering almonds

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6442817

Hybrid willows
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #6442831

A-hem.. hybrid willows...!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6442871

White creeping phlox

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 21, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #6443026

Blossom and Candee, do you get Almond nuts?
Love your white creeping phlox, that would be nice in Diannne's white flower bed!

You know it's getting warmer when the fern fronds start to pop up!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 21, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6443043

1 or 2 forget me nots !!!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6443411

No terri, that would be another kind of tree, the flowering almond we both have is a shrub!

Must go check my fern fronds!! I know it will be getting warmer when the rain quits and the humidity kills me!

It is supposed to be near 80 this weekend, but jeez, with all this rain, what a steamy day that will be for sure.

Hey remind me tomorrow, I put garbage bags in the maibox...I need to bag up some more spent pots. We are cleaning up the hoophouse and they are going to be recycled.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #6444280

Terri, looks like more than 1-2 nots you gots there and I see your japonica is bloomn in the background, you have a luscious garden in bloom already. Mine is quite sparce this time of year, tulips barely up outta the ground and same with lots of others.
Never used the hearts in a cutting, perhaps will give it a try but going out of town again this weekend so not sure when that will happen, although I am taking Monday off work so perhaps.
No nuts of these terri, just nuts taking the photos LOL!
Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 21, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #6444484

Gorgeous, Terri!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6447423

LOL!! Well this nut was out early this morning taking photos... no blooms on most, just foliage... Only bloom I had was on the rhododendron and then I ran out of pixels so will have to take a snap at that one later!

Japanica.. shoot.. just sprouters! Most of mine is still under ground! Fern frons, not a one to be found. Forget me nots.. amonst the missing. Mine have slowly been dying out. The grass is taking over.

But here is my series for the day...

Japonica...sprout!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6447436

Bishopsweed

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #6447442

Columbine

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #6447468

Some kinda ground cover.. weed. chreeping Charlie I think.. it is opretty, pretty much a nuisance!!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #6447482

Fern leaf peony

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6447490

Fern leaf tansy

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6447496

Geranium macrorrhizum

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #6447505

Grampas heilrloom climbing rose.. this thing has been arounf in the family for about 100 years.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #6447511

Heuchera sanguinea splendens (coral bells to most!)

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #6447523

lysimachia ciliata purpurea

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6447531

Margarite daisys

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6447538

Mums

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6447544

sedum autumn joy

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6447548

sedum golden carpet.. errrgh.. shakey pic! Sorry about the blur! Must retake!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6447552

The RHOD!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #6447559

And of course, I cannot go a day without these guys yet...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 22, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6448364

Thank you Sally! I will be sowing some nasturtiums tomorrow, they always make me think of you!
Thanks Candee, yes with all the rain the last couple of weeks then some sunshine this week everything suddenly took off!
Blossom, you have some Beauties there! can't wait to see them all flowering! I had some Heauchea, but it hasn't come up, I think it's a gonna!!
Hope to make a last dash with some pics in April, It will be good to look back on like a monthly diary of of gardens!
I don't seem to have many 'honesty' plants this year, blame it on our snow week!!!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6448701

Thanks terri, got more coming... here is a spiderwart...I know, looks like grass LOL!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 22, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #6448723

Don't know spiderwart, looking forward to seeing that!
Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 22, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6448732

WOW, Blossom. What wonderful photos!!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #6448909

Thanks Sally.

I will take pics again when things start blooming too so hopefully I will get it to show you again later terri!

Here is my toad lilys poking up! They love it in my moist mess!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #6448944

Ok, I have a fungus among us.. I do not know what kind it is, but I am pretty sure that if you eat it you will probably see some royally funky colors and get a royal belly ache. Please do not take these to the cafe!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #6448969

Ajuga.

I think this has blue flowers. I also have one in pink, but vannot remember the label names.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6448997

Its every where!! Its every where..

One of my consequences of all the moisture around here!

Its a lovely moss that I think would be scrumptous in terriums!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #6449078

Siberian iris a comin!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6449225

Blue spruce sedum.. complete with mascot.

*now where did that froggie go* burrrrp!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009

Post #6449317

Tall garden phlox coming

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #6449563

Oh Lordy, if you think I am daffney with daffs...

ummm the daylilies are coming

the daylilies are coming...!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6449647

Yo Terri!! Ahoy Mate, looks like my dafs are getting tooo much rain! They are starting to shrink! Looky here, this one is no bigger than my pointer finger!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6449793

Lilac buddings!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #6449842

Asiatics...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #6449881

Green hosta... not sure but I think it is sum and substance dont know

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #6449951

Peonies - they are the red thngs mixed in with the grass LOL!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6450153

A varigated hosta called auea marginata.

Thats it for today..

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2009
5:06 AM

Post #6450915

Blossom - you are going to be having a lot of flowers in a couple of months once all your plants take off. Nice variety.
Here is a white bletilla striata

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2009
5:08 AM

Post #6450922

I have a lot of yellow flag iris, but here is the first bloom from my patch of white one. I had two patches last year, but had no idea what it was because I did not remember planting them. There were no blooms last year. Then, last fall, I finally decided to purchase a white flag iris. If I had known I already HAD some, i could have saved myself some money LoL.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2009
5:09 AM

Post #6450928

and some geum - this is Lady Stratheden.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #6451498

I have blue flag iris.. they are only peaking up right now. No geum. Tried that and dint have any luck. I was out again this morning shooting things... heres my first victim...Coronation gold..

This message was edited Apr 23, 2009 7:08 PM

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 23, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #6451751

Yo Blossom!!!!! LOL. everything looks so healthy, fresh and promising!!! that Hosta wouldn't last 5 minutes here! SLUGS..

Lovely yellow Geum Dianne, I must go and check if my red one is there.
Love the night time pic of the Iris.

Thanks for adding to April, if the sun comes out I'll take some pictures today.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
2:08 PM

Post #6451862

Artemesia silver king.. great for dry flowers of fresh, smells mmmmm good!

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6451980

My goodness blossom you are going to have a wealth of blooms if your sun ever shines. What beautiful specimens you have coming up there. Do you find that your spiderwort gets to spreading too much and then eventually wants to flop? I always like it when it first comes out but tire of it in time.
Dianne I never heard of that striata, but it is lovely.
Guess I better get my camera out on Monday next week as I have that day off.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6452328

I love the spiderwarts. I have sevearl different sizes... blue, pink light blue and usde to have a white. It is one that I dont care really where it sprouts. It can jump anywhere in my wild garden!

I have baby maples.. these are a weed maple..

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #6452367

Here is a sprouter of my honeysuckle vine

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #6452399

Baby black eyed Susans

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 23, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #6452415

I love Black eyed Susan!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #6452459

Valerain. on of my favorites and another one that can sprout up any where it likes, it has a sweet smell to it and is a very pretty white lacey flower in bloom.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6452551

Blossom - the Valeriana is a new plant for me. I looked it up on the plantfiles and it is a lovely plant. I have never seen it in a nursery before. Does it make a good cut flower? That will definitely be on my wish list if it is. And the fragrance would be a wonderful bonus.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6452602

Hi Terri! I got something for you coming up soon... But first, what the heck is this??? I think I am gonna start another thread called WHAT THE HECK IS IT!!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #6452635

Oh mate, yes, Valerian makes a wonderful airy cut flower. Here is some Sweet William sprouters for you!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6452684

Terri, heres a good one for cutting, although I have always had trouble getting staunch stems here with these, the beloved Shasta daisy!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 23, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #6452704

Oh yes, I was just out in the garden taking a pic of the Shasta daisy! LoL.
Looks like you've got alot of Black eyed suan seedlings, they don't do very in my garden.

Dianne, I'm sure you saw my Valerian last year!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6452749

Lovely terri! Here are some mulberry sprouters! Cant wait until the berries come! YUMMMY!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #6452756

Black eye susan grows like weed in my garden and I have to really remember to dig out the edges and deadhead regularly.

Terri - if I did see your Valerian last year, I have totally forgotten. I do that a lot these days LoL. Maybe I thought that they were like the white version of what we sometimes call red valerian (centranthus ruber) , a totally different plant which I already have and does not make good cut flowers, but tend to be invasive.

If either you or Blossom remember to save any Valeriana seeds, I would love some for next year. Like I said, I have not seen that plant for sale here.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6452869

And my last shot of the day...just for terri!

Hmmm valerian seeds... will try to remember, please send me a d-mail ok!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6452917

Oh yes, and here is the link to WHA THE HECK PLANT IS THIS!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/979127/

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 23, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6453011

Dianne, mine are red Valarian!

Lovely plants daff-ee!!

Hellebore, might snip this soon.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 23, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6453023

Found the Geum, it's got buds!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 23, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6453037

another Honesty and ferns coming...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 23, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6453066

Weigela has new leaves, found a bucket with some grape hyacinths and 2 tulips in it!
I must have forgotten to plant them last year.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 23, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6453083

Choisya...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 23, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6453094

Golden rod...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 23, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #6453104

Old ladies bonnets! ...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 23, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #6453122

Veronica...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 23, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6453172

Still at bit of colour with old golden balls!
Dinner is ready, gotta go ... bye!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #6454104

Oh terri, what a wonderful addition!!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 24, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #6454258

Thanks Blossom!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #6454277

Terri - what are you doing up so late????? I am about to go home from work soon.
Lots of greenery and color starting come up in your garden.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 24, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #6454292

Ok Mum! I'm off to bed now, nite nite!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2009
9:25 PM

Post #6458493

Those golden balls are fab, thought it was japonica!
Choisya and another new one to me will have to look it up as it is quite delicate.
lets' go round blossoms mulberry tree, what do you do with the berries. You sure have a lot ready to blossom, blossom, can't wait to see it all as you have quite the variety.
Here is a blossom from my pink dogwood, will likely open this weekend.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #6458505

Here is the white

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6458553

Seems I take this same photo every year, but this time took it from inside looking out the bedroom window.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #6458605

White tree peony nestled in the phlox. Wish I had a method to get rid of the onion grass!

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #6458715

I have this salvia in pink and purple and it spreads like wild fire. I do like the varigated leaf with the white.

Thumbnail by haighr

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 25, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6459073

Your plants are looking Beautiful Candee!
It is Kerria Japonica! Golden balls is just what I call it.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6459209

Beautiful Candee - can't wait to see your white tree peony when it opens up!
One thing I noticed in your last picture - no tell-tale signs of snails or slugs!! So many of my plants have holes in them. Nice that yours are all intact and lovely.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #6460843

Loverly ladies just lovely!

Hmmm I think my japanica is different still..It has a tricolor leaf and tiny white frilly flowers.. must nbe a different specie!?

but anyway.. here we go starting the day off with dafs again.. still... forever daff-nee!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #6460890

Thalias

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6461136

Peacocks eyess

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6461148

apple blossoms

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6461207

A great find in our woods!! MAY APPLES! First time ever in 10 years we have ever seen these here! YIPPY!

Well, thats all for now, I need to go back to my greenhouse and work on some annuals there! Catch you guys there later.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #6463113

Can't believe that April is almost over. It was just yesterday that it was April Fool's day.
Here are some irises - bearded ones

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #6463122

As the last of my tree peonies finish blooming, the herbaceous ones are starting. This is my earliest one.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2009
2:32 AM

Post #6463632

Usually by the 15th I have bearded Iris, but not this year, everything is late.

Here is my last entry today.. once again, my emerald blue creeping phlox.

I posted a bunch of annuals at my GPS...

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6469903

Soils, I know what you mean! And just a couple of weeks ago it was Christmas!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6469917

Here are my latest April Blooms...

Wisteria Vine

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6469928

Another view

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6469947

Closeup...

I am so proud of this because it is the first time it has really bloomed! Last year we had a few little blooms, very late in the year...

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #6469980

a climbing rose... notice all the buds!

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6470000

spinach plant

This message was edited Apr 27, 2009 9:52 AM

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2009
11:28 AM

Post #6473788

Lovely yardqueen I know how much that wisteria means to you . I have one as well and the best year of bloom was the spring after a disasterous windstorm that split my lovely wisteria tree in half, it still has the duct tape fix on it. But it bloomed like crazy that year. I read somewhere that if you have a plant that just won't bloom beat it with rolled newspaper as sometimes the trauma will force bloom. Well I believe it as it never looked better than after the split. Now I get a few blooms one year and many another, I think that the pruning is the key, but have never been good at it as mine is in a location where I do have to prune even when it is not necessarily time to do so.
I'll be sure to post the tree peonies, they should be out pretty soon. I am so behind as I said earlier, my siberian iris are hardly out of the ground. I agree about the time, where does it go, seems we can't wait to get to spring and then it is flying by. We didn't really have a spring here yet and it is almost over. The temps were in the 40's until the other day when they rocketed to 90 on friday, sat, sunday, monday and I believe again today. From one extreme to another.
blossom, I can't believe you have all those daffs still coming, I am ready to chop mine off to allow space for other things in that neighborhood.
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6474454

I want to chop mine off too. but I know they won't do well next year if I do, so I am trying to wait it out...
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6474470

I took a nap after starting to post my garden pics and never finished. Here is the rest from Sunday...

Hellebore

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6474498

Gerberas

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6474507

not very photgenic... They are mich brighter than the pics.

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6474522

allamanda

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6474548

some roses

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6474554

more

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6474571

roses

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6474579

amaryllis

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6474588

Don't remember what this is...

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #6474594

million bells

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009

Post #6474599

Petunias

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009

Post #6474604

more petunias

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6474628

a later blooming azalea than the one I posted before

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #6474629

gold star sedum

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6474642

corn poppy

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #6474667

dianthus

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6474705

Your roses are scrumptious. I love that poppy as well, I only have those orange ones and have not had success in others. Will need to get more seed and try again next season. Dianthus is looking quite happy there as well.
allamanda - another one to look up, some sort of trumpet lily??? Interesting.
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #6474748

It is sort of like mandevilla
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6474762

phlox

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #6474776

toadflax

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6474827

Very lovely! Very lovely!

Well, heres mine for the day..
Lily of the valley just starting.. no flowers yet, but nice and stately.. the derned things have taken over my garden patth and are gonna have to sooner or later get moved. Either that or make the path go another way! LOL!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6474845

Vinca or as some call it periwinkle.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6474948

Blue flag iris coming...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6475006

Apple blossoms...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6475079

Ostrich ferns.. I have two colonies of these and apparently one did not make it, either that or it will come later...hmmm

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6475167

Lilac

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #6475329

Achimella Mollis - dont you just love how the water beads up on this plant!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #6475455

Sedum Matrona -

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #6475545

Mountain ash

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #6475574

Moss on a willow tree

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #6475587

Flowers on flowering almond

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6475676

Japonica

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #6475706

Viola cacullata freckles

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6475747

Hosta - golden tiara

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #6475832

Ajuga Purple Torch

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #6475866

And the last one for today is more fern fronds.. I do not know what variety this is.

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 28, 2009
8:58 PM

Post #6476312

April is Autumn here & I am surprised at how much is still flowering this year.
My sweet peas are crazy - late to start despite being sown last autumn, they should be dead of frost bite by now!
The roses are rewarding me for some judicious summer pruning by being blooming lovely :)

Thumbnail by dalfyre

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 28, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6476317

Great burst of flowers and plants at the end of April everyone!
Lovely Allamanda Yardqueen, I planted it last year, it didn't flower, but had leaves. This year I can't see it yet or it is lost to our snow week. The name of your white flowering plant in your hanging basket is on the tip of my tongue!!!! I just can't remember it. I'm sure it starts with 'B' LOL!
There's no signs of the Pineapple lilies either! At the moment forget me nots are doing their thing, they hide everything that is popping up!
!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 28, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #6476340

Hi Teresa! Glad you found this thread. Love seeing what your gardens are like in New Zealand.
Thank you for sharing your garden, hope to see more!
We posted at the same time, it takes me ages to type LOL!
Your Sweet peas look lovely, so pretty, have you been cutting them for the house? mine are about 10 inches tall.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6479608

yardqueen1948 - never heard of toadflax, you really do have some interesting specimens that I must research.
blossom you got lots of them, see how you picked your name! My almond is almost finished. I have taken lots of photos the last few days, must get busy posting - believe it or not finally have tulips in bloom, told you I was behind.
terri, took my pineapple lily out the other day and the heat really gave it a beating, brought it back in last eve and hope it recovers, this crazy weather, back down to 60 today after 90's yesterday.
Teresa, lovely garden you have there in New Zealand, keep them coming I love to see the world of flowers.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6480009

Hi everyone, well here goes todays pile of plants... starting with
asperagus in the garden...anyone know how to keep weeds down in the patch?

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #6480066

Thanks! Boy everyone has lovely flowers. No doubt about it! It is waaay cool seeing everyones from all parts of the world!

Hmmm does that asperagus look daft!! LOL I probaly ought to cut some and run them down to the cafe!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 29, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6480365

Candee, good to hear at least one of us has a pineapple lily .LoL!

Thanks for the Asparagus Blossom, it's on the menu for tonight.!
I have another Choisyia, this one is in the front garden.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6480921

Oh thats lovely terri! I have never heard of that one!

Here is bitersweet. It is a tad invasive. I wished I would have planted it elsewhere in my garden like in the back forty where it could have its fun. But then that is debateable too! It has orange berries in the fall.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #6480990

Creeping Jenny.. nice ground cover.. grows anywhere pretty much

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #6481047

Creeping phlox in white

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #6481240

Hosta - Royal Standard

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #6481255

Thalia, lilac, double daffs and asparagus

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 29, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #6481379

So many lovelies to look forward to in May. Thanks Blossom, does that Creeping Jenny have yellow flowers? It's used for hanging baskets here!! I didn't realise it was a ground cover plant.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 29, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #6481392

Crocosmia are up!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #6481393

lysimachia ciliata puntata... again!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 29, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #6481415

I don't know that one Blossom, will be a nice surprise to see it flowering!

Geranium, Johnson's blue,( I think)!! lol

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6481647

My crocosmia croaked 2 years ago thanks for sharing yours Terri, I miss it here. Blossom that lysimachia or whatever you call it is really attractive. Nice shades of color in the foliage.
Well here goes some of mine.
Red & white scalloped tulip

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6481657

Parrot tulip

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #6481664

Tulip lavender fringe

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6481688

Siberian Bugloss - False forget me nots - Guess what terri these are not the real deal.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6481698

Ornamental rhubarb

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6481705

Flowering plum

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #6481717

White dogwoods

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #6481733

And the pink one

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6481745

My red azalea, funny that this one is in full bloom and the rest have just gotten buds. I still don't have a rhodendrum in bloom???

Thumbnail by haighr

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #6481855

Yes terri, the creeping Jenny does have yellow flowers. Hmm I think I will make a hanging basket! It grows in a ditch here and much of the time it is under water and it does not phase it!

Haighr, you have beauties! I am so jealous of your tulips!!! Very nice and OMG!! The dogwoods! WOW!

I have some oregano to take to the cafe!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #6482067

Spirea (shrub)

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #6482098

Strawberrys

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6482227

Wisteria in spring. I have actually 4 of them on this arbor..

Ok, now, we had a heck of an icestorm.. sooo.. does this mean this is my year for it to be gorgeous?

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #6482749

Nice arbor blossom. Your asparagus patch has such nice juicy plump stalks.

Candee - I would love to have a white dogwood along with my pink one, but I don't have much yard space. You have some lovely blooms there.

Terri - choisya are not very common where I live - I had to look up that plant too. A plant that is fragrant AND is a good cut flower - what more can you ask for (besides having it available in a local nursery LoL. I would love to have one of those too... heck, I need a yard twice my size.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #6483301

Well, that just cuts it for me... another rainy day here so the only pic I have today is of me in the garden...I have sprouted warts, webbed feets and bumps and just wanna croak!

All this April showers stuff had better bring us a thread called MAY 2009 In The Garden! If all these beauties above abounded now, I just cannot wait to see the next episode!

Rrrrrribbet!!!

Im hopping off to the cafe. Hope soeone has some magik lemonade there so I can turn back to my normal self!

Ribbbbbet! boink!

Great April pics everyone!

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2009

Post #6485759

As you wish blossom

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/982407/

Thanks everyone and yes blossom your wisteria may just have loved that icestorm, we shall see. Mine are now in bloom but not as full as that special year. Will post them on the new May thread.

Thanks blossom on the tulips, I like the unusual, I used to have a lot more but they are not returning as they should, I had some real crazy and lovely fringed beauties last year.

My dogwoods are a bit cramped, not so much for lawn space but for the sky as they are encroached by the huge pine trees but not much to be done about that they still do fine with the bit of sunshine they get. I do adore them, the pink one was a mom's day give many years ago.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America