OLD TREADLE SEWING MACHINE BASE IDEAS

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

I bought one today and want to make a kitchen island, but I am open to lots of ideas and pictures as there are more at the local antique store. It has a small top on it already which is nice, but I have no place in the house, it would be great with mosaic outside. But then I would have to find another one for my kitchen. Right now it has a piece of rose marble we bought at an antique store and never did anything with it (ideas for that too), we are thinking of adding oak on each end and around the marble for the top, just not sure yet.
Thanks

Thumbnail by curvesarein
Decatur, GA

curvesarein,
I really like the legs on your sewing machine stand. I would use it outside in the garden or on the patio as a plant stand, or a potting/work area. The pink marble would work well outside.
Helen

Cliff Dweller, WA(Zone 8b)

Those are real prizes here! Most people use them for plant stands, but they are so "shabby chic" that I see them used indoors as well as OUT.

Great score! I would probably have it in my kitchen with my toaster and other table goodies (napkins, s&p.. you know.. that stuff).

Way cute!

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

Great looking table ..

Im going to have to keep an eye out for another sewing machine stand
I have one but it still has a working machine
Never thought about useing just the legs .. Untill I saw one at the Flea Markes with a big chunk od Cedar on it They wanted $150.00 for it

Englewood, FL

This is one thing I have made out of an old sewing machine.
John

Thumbnail by jvdl1
Englewood, FL

Here's another use for old sewing machine parts.
John

Thumbnail by jvdl1
Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS(Zone 9a)

JVDL ~ Those are so nice!! You did a really great job with them.

Curvesarein~ Very nice find.. Have my fingers crossed that someone day I will run across one myself.. But of course I can see my husbands eyes roll already..and asking what in the world do you need that thing for?? He has no Trash to treasure vision.. lol..

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

John,
thanks for the new ideas, you did a great job. Now here is my finished project for the kitchen.

Thumbnail by curvesarein
Englewood, FL

Good looking table, kitchen looks nice too.

Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS(Zone 9a)

Love the Table.. Great work and you should be very proud of it..

Teutopolis, IL

I got my grandmothers old sewing machine stand out of my parents barn e few years back. I painted it and put a glass top on it. My daughter now has it in her house. I found another stand at a garage sale for 15 dollars. I made a mosaic top for it and put it on my porch for flowers.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Do you have pictures to share with us. I want to try a mosaic very soon. Saw a cement bench done in mosaic and it was beautiful. When I left the store I noticed it was up in front with a sold sign on it, but didn't notice the price.

Defuniak Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

There are many ideas using old treadle machine parts. If only the drawers are good, use them for storage of small items in a craft room. The drawer frames can be fitted with glass to display shot glasses or other miniatures. There are some of the older ornate treadle machines that have shorter metal frames to accomodate a wooden base for the sewing machine...I just took the folding top and made a coffee table ..just the right height. I use a standard height base with a wooden top from a very old desk as an extra work surface in my computer room.

The list goes on.

rosehollow

Such creative minds! Such great work and I think I need them in my office. I will throw away some things to display them. ^_^

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

Hey you all send more pictures of your completed ideas, I plan on getting more.

Addison, TX

I inherited a lot of stuff from my elderly baby sitter when I was about nine years old in 1968. Of course, I never bothered to take everything away from my parents when I was grown. My mother used several of the pieces and put others in storage. Now my mother has passed away and we are cleaning out the house. And, I still have things belonging to my babysitter and her husband. What a mess!

One of the things is an old treadle sewing machine. Mom said it wasn't worth anything because it had been converted to electric and it ruined the value. But it's in the storage building. Mom always wanted me to have a marble top put on the base and use it for a plant stand. That sounds really cool, and I have lots of plants. Does anyone know how to do this? I am not very good at things like this.

Years ago I saw a man at a craft show selling sewing boxes that he made out of sewing machine drawers like these. I took the drawers and tried to talk him into making four of them for me. But he wouldn't guarantee me that I would receive my same drawers in return. Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks,
Carol

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Most places that deal in granite and marble can help you with the installation of the piece. It's usually part of the price.

We made ours into a telephone table but then went cordless so the phone doesn't show here.

Thumbnail by pirl
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

that looks great, Pirl. ;0)

I don't have any that have the iron drawer bases, but seems it would be so easy to jigsaw a piece of wood to fit in the four bases, to make small shelves.

love it

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

Pirl, that is a great idea. I got another one since we did the kitchen island and did this with it.

Thumbnail by curvesarein
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW! These are ALL Fabulous! Whodathunk??? I will be keeping my eyes open for one of these cool tables. I hope I see it BEFORE Connie does. HAHAHA

Lovely!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, I sent a link to this thread to Connie. She said she has one of these. Said she's seen them at the thrift stores too. Hopefully she will make me one for Christmas. It would be lovely with some of my leftover granite tiles on the top to go in my kitchen or dining area. (hint, hint)

Mine was originally a gift from my sister! We changed the top and Jack made the box look to hold telephone books, the directory, etc.

While cleaning out the garage I found a large round marble top so I'll keep my eyes open for another sewing machine base.

I wonder if I cleaned out my garage I would find something neat. About the only way DH would get me to clean it too. His answer would be, "Don't move anything, I knew where everything is right now". Haven't seen any in the thrift store I go to or maybe I don't go on the right day. Really makes a great table.

I just finished with cleaning out the garage and organizing and labeling everything. It took two weeks and I have one side left to be done but it's the easy side.

My husband swore he knew exactly what was on every one of his shelves so he had no intention of cleaning his shelves but he started one and did the rest. He did find surprises like the briquettes for a gas grill we ditched 10 years ago, tools he could never find, products we've never used (diesel oil - 2 cans!) and more. He went off to the dump with a fully loaded truck yesterday looking much like Sanford and Son! All he needed was some old sofas on top!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

I found one of my sewing machine bases by driving around on Labor Day and it was sitting in someones carport and pursued it. She had tried to sell it at a garage sale but failed. So I bought it. Sold the drawers to a local antique shop for $10 and so I had $20 in it after that. I love junking. We have lots of people here with lots of junk in some areas.

Louisville, KY

This is for curves are in or anyone else who can answer my question. I see that the top on your first project id a table top. How did you mount it? My creativeness is gone since we've had a ton of snow. My mind is fuzzy. Can you help me out??? Julie :)

There are two pieces of the cast iron on each side that get bolted into the top on our machine.

If you need a closer photo just let me know and I'll take one.

Thumbnail by pirl
Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

I have 3 of them at my house One with a plain glass top on my front porch.. I got the base for 5.00 at a resale shop, the glass I got when my neighbor and I cleaned his workshop.. one I bought with the machine and everything for 30.00 so its all orginal , its an accent table it needs refinishing but I have a dresser scarf on it so it owrks for now.. and yet another with a oak top used as a night stand in my guest room.. That one I got the base as a gift and had a friend make the top for me.. I love these things!!! they can be used in so many ways..

Here's a close-up showing the bolts going into the piece of wood above it.

Thumbnail by pirl
Louisville, KY

Thanks soooo much. I appreciate your promptness. Julie :)

Have fun, take photos and let us see them.

Great Falls, VA

Hi, everyone, I just stumbled onto this site and have spent the last 5 or so hours reading up on all the wonderful topics and creations you've made. Yesterday I bought an antique sewing machine base and plan to make it into a table of some sort. It's rusty in many places, and the paint is peeling, so I'm thinking I should have it sandblasted so I can repaint it something fun. I don't have many tools, and I don't have a work area I could do this work myself, so I googled "sandblasting" in my state and found one not too far away. My questions to you repurposing experts: a) Is sandblasting the way to go? b) what kind of post-cleaning prep work should I do prior to painting? c) what should it cost for the sandblasting? d) what kind of paint should I use on it? e) any other recommendations?

Thanks so much in advance! I'm in Virginia, and we still have snow on the ground from our record-making blizzard, so it'll be a while before I can be outside working on some fun projects.

Thumbnail by 2thrifty
Great Falls, VA

Hi, newbie me again. I just called the sandblasting place and they want $75 to sandblast it, and another $75 to powder-coat it. This sounds high to me, but that's my gut reaction. I am eager to hear from those of you who have undertaken this kind of job before to know what you would recommend.

If I don't sandblast it, what's the best way to get rid of the rust and peeling paint? Do I use a paint stripper? I would think a chemical stripper, followed by some diligent sanding might work....

Thanks, everyone!

If you do strip it PLEASE wear protective eye glasses. Also protect your arms/face/etc.

It's a long job and a tough one and would probably take a week to do it.

Since I've never done it you can tell me - what is the powder coating all about? Maybe you could pay to have it stripped and handle the powder coat yourself.

Northeast, OH(Zone 5b)

I have a torch that I use to keep weeds under control. It's attached to a propane tank from a grill. It is supposed to be great for stripping paint from metal. It was $50 from Home Dept. I haven't tried it for paint removal yet but it was mentioned on the package. I love the torch! I'm thinking I should use it to melt the snow and ice off of the sidewalk. :)

Great Falls, VA

OK, folks, I have an update. I called a friend who has his own automotive shop and asked him about the sandblasting quote I got. He told me it sounded high to him, too, but they were the outfit he used when he had something big to blast. He then told me he has a smaller blasting box in his shop - perhaps my item would fit.

Guess who now knows how to sandblast??!! We took it apart (2 of the screws needed to be torched - by my automotive friend - to get them out), and over the course of the next 2 hours, I sandblasted those babies clean! Well, they're mostly clean. The pieces were almost too big for the sandblasting box, so there were a few angles I couldn't reach.

He recommended I clean them with "Brake part cleaner" (available at an automotive shop) to get the grease, dust, and any other contaminants off it, then to hang it up and paint it, since it has so many nooks and crannies. The challenge I have with this plan is that it's still in the 30's outside, and I don't have an indoor workroom that is ventilated. I may have to clean it, then wrap it up until I can do this outside. I don't want it to rust again, but I'm a little boxed in. Does anyone have another suggestion?

Pirl: The powder-coating is to protect the bare metal from rusting. I was told (by the company offering to do the job) that they actually bake this powder on, which she said has a better chance of adhering than paint would. Others probably have a better understanding of this than I do - this is just what they told me. Regardless, I'm not going that route, so I don't have a fuller sense of why I would do that.

Hurray! Isn't it wonderful when friends help? So glad you learned to do it yourself.

Thanks - now I understand about the powder coating. You could probably use a spray primer but you're right about having to wait until you can do it outside. My guess is that it will take many more cans of spray than you think. All the nooks and crannies are part of the problem as well as the beauty of the piece.

I'd keep it as dry as possible until it's time for you to work on it outside.

Congrat's!

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

if you make sure its dry when you put it away you shouldnt have much rust on it if you keep it inside and keep it dry.. if and what rust you do have could be wiped off with some acetone/ paint thiner or something like that... powdercoating is great for motorcycle parts and car rims you dont need that for a project like this.. just make sure its clean, primer it then paint it the have fun decidint what kind of top youre going to put on it.. I have one with a plain glass top, one with a custom oak top and one with the orginal cabinet on it .. I love these things!!!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

I didn't have to do much to mine just wire brush and 2 cans of cheap paint, of course they are out of the elements.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images