Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Is This Plant the New Hosta?: Beautiful colors!

Communities > Forums > Article: Is This Plant the New Hosta?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Is This Plant the New Hosta?Replies: 14, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tangotiffany
Clinceni
Romania

April 2, 2009
11:37 AM

Post #6353734

Thanks for sharing! The colors are absolutely magnificent and I will certainly plant some coleus in my garden.
Do I spot a black and brindle afghan by your side? and if yes who is he/she? I love the breed and I owe one /or the other way round)
Angela Folea (Romania)
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6359385

Hi Angela--Thanks for the nice note!

Yes, that's my beautiful, affectionate Afghan, Saphira. She's registered as a black and silver (Hatari's Prairie Moon Rising), but can't be shown because she's a good inch taller than the AKC standard. I named her after a well-known belly dancer in Washington, D.C (see photo below). I thought it was a good fit, because both are female, have black hair, and are beautiful and exotic. :-)

Here is the rest of the story: When I turned 65, I had one of those reflective moods where I realized that I didn't have all that many years left on this earth. What was it that I still wanted to do but hadn't done? What was it that I still wanted to have but hadn't acquired?. One of the answers to that last question was "an Afghan Hound." I had wanted one ever since I was a teenager, but soon discovered that they were VERY expensive.

To complicate matters, my wife and I had joined the Iowa Animal Welfare Foundation when we adopted our other dog, Laila, through the Foundation's Prison Dog Program. So now my coveted Afghan had to be not only a female, but a rescue as well. Afghans pretty much peaked in popularity during the 1970s here in the U.S., so if there were any Afghans to rescue, I knew that there wouldn't be many.

I spent an entire two-week period on the computer and on the telephone searching for my Afghan. I was about to give up, when I made contact with a breeder in Austin, Texas, who also ran an Afghan rescue operation. She didn't have a rescue at the moment, but promised to contact me as soon as she had one. Several days later, the phone rang. It was the Austin breeder, saying she had an Afghan for me! I couldn't believe my ears, because I had already resigned my self to the fact that I would probably never get to adopt an Afghan.

It gets even better. No only did she have a rescue for me, she was also the breeder, and so could provide me with Saphira's entire history! Because she couldn't be shown, the breeder decided to sell her as a family pet. The lady who bought her subsequently became ill. She lived alone, and her family didn't realize how ill she really was. When they came to visit, they discovered not only a very sick lady but an Afghan that was malnourished and horribly matted. So they took the dog back to the breeder. The day I had called the breeder, she said that she had just promised her only rescue dog to a young lady who was about to get married. When the breeder called me back, it was to report that the young man that the young lady was marrying wanted nothing to do with a dog and it had been returned to her!

Goodness, I didn't realize until just now that I've practically written another article! Sorry, we writers tend to be a bit verbose. :-) Best regards--Larry

P.S. I'll post photos of both Saphira and Laila as soon as I send this off.

Thumbnail by LarryR
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6359415

Here is Saphira digging for a mole shortly after I got her.

Thumbnail by LarryR

LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6359433

Here she is with her Christmas present.

Thumbnail by LarryR

LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #6359439

Saphira's first snow.

Thumbnail by LarryR

LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #6359450

Here is Laila.

Thumbnail by LarryR

LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #6359456

Laila loves the snow even more than Saphira!

Thumbnail by LarryR

LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6359471

Laila and Saphira together.

Thumbnail by LarryR

LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6359754

Please tell me a bit about your Afghan. How old is s/he? What color? Photos? Any stories you'd like to share? Best--Larry
tangotiffany
Clinceni
Romania

April 8, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #6381502

Hi Larry,
Many thanks for your nice "article" and pictures.
From the way you are writing about your Afghan I should have sworn that you own one even if I had not seen the pictures. They "hook" you, don't they?
My boy's name is Gazardiel av Poppyfield and he comes from Norway. He is Thor for Mom (me) and friends and I named him after the Norwegian God of thunder and lightning. He is black and brindle and for the time being he is only a Romanian champion. Last year I had my other afghan very ill (unfortunately I had to put him to sleep as he had cancer) and I wanted to spend all my free time with him so we could not go to shows. Two years ago I had the courage to take him to the world dog show in Poland and we were placed the 6th. It was quite a success for me considering the famous breeders and handlers present and that I was a "nobody". We should have taken a honorable 4th place, but my beautiful boy decided that enough was enough and he started pulling my coat and the judge "punished" us. Thor is extremely intelligent, as all Afghans, but he does whatever his happy tail wants!)
I have other dogs but he is the apple of my eye!
I am an the afghan breeders list and if you ever consider adopting another one just let me know. Or if you have questions about coat care (I have some tips from an extraordinary American groomer and breeder), health issues or whatever... please don't hesitate to ask. My Norwegian breeder has been breeding Afghans since 1964 and she is an "encyclopedia" in the matter and she is always willing to help. We are very good friends and she has already visited us three times in Romania. As you know we, Afghan "parents", are a small community and we have to help each other.
I am posting a picture of Thor at a show in Hungary and very soon I shall send you some picture of my spring flowers
My best regards to you and your wife and kisses to Laila and especially to Saphira and please write some more "articles" about them

Thumbnail by tangotiffany

tangotiffany
Clinceni
Romania

April 15, 2009
8:04 AM

Post #6412496

Hi Larry,
Here are my latest pictures with the spring flowers (a few of them, the rest is not yet in bloom) and one picture of Thor taken after his bath.
How are your beautiful girls?
I do hope you will post some more pictures of them and your flowers.
Best regards to you and your wife

tangotiffany
Clinceni
Romania

April 15, 2009
8:11 AM

Post #6412501

here is THor

tangotiffany
Clinceni
Romania

April 15, 2009
8:12 AM

Post #6412503

My beautiful fritillaria

tangotiffany
Clinceni
Romania

April 15, 2009
8:13 AM

Post #6412504

Some tulips

tangotiffany
Clinceni
Romania

April 15, 2009
8:15 AM

Post #6412506

A small Pieris japonica in bloom

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Is This Plant the New Hosta? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
nice! onewish1 2 Mar 31, 2009 5:07 AM
Ditto cbrandenburg 3 Mar 31, 2009 4:52 AM
Loved the article! phughes 3 Mar 31, 2009 5:05 AM
Wow,some amazing colors I've never seen! Bookerc1 1 Mar 31, 2009 5:01 AM
Great article! Plantedz 1 Mar 31, 2009 4:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America