Photo by Melody

Article: Early Emerging Spring Perennials: time to look!

Communities > Forums > Article: Early Emerging Spring Perennials
bookmark
Forum: Article: Early Emerging Spring PerennialsReplies: 8, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #6353969

Thank you, Suzanne, for reminding me that it's probably time to get out from under the covers and take a peek! I do have some of those plants - I wonder how they are?
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6354173

So many wonderful choices for early spring pleasure. Thank you.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6354904

Thanks for a wonderfully detailed article! I love this time of year, looking for all my spring peepers. :-)
lindalou52
Columbia, MO

April 6, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #6372510

Thank you so much for this information!
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #6374591

Thanks for reading everyone, I am so glad it helped!
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #6383587

Interesting article, but these perennial times are too early for us, zone 5a, Oakridges Morraine, between Lake Ontario and Lake Simcoe. Except for snow melt, would probably say the area is normally (not this year) dry in spring. Haven't thought of the whole area as a microclimate, rather part of the gradation northwards.
We would normally see snowdrops emerging in mid/ later March, followed by species crocus.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8387935

I don't have the exact cultivar of Caryopteris you are talking about, but mine blooms in the fall, not spring. Both Hillier's Guide to Trees and Shrubs and the DG Plant File entry confirms this. Other than that, your article seems like a useful list.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8388557

Im in zone 9a and it's so interesting to know what other zones are experiencing. My narcissus bloomed in early January, my Forsythia is blooming now, so are dandelions and ten petal anemones, scabiosa, pansies, violas. Snap dragons look like they may be finished since it is getting so warm. Azaleas have one bloom...They are about to explode..lots of fat buds with color showing. Snow drops or Snowflakes (I can never remember which) are blooming now. Wild Strawberry and Spurge are trying to take over the world, brugs are sproutin new growth, Plumeria are turning green on the tips, roses are putting on new growth. Purslane is waking up, starting to grow. Irises are green and tall, not yet seeing buds but soon. In the veggie garden, volunteer limas from last year are 4 " tall. Dont envy me however.

In June and July, the sun will try to burn it up and I'll be scrambling to provide makeshift shade. I envy your protective snow blanket. Our freezes seldom produce any snow and they swoop in between days of 60's and 70's like a mugger pouncing on tourists. The only silver lining? Our ground doesn't freeze so even tho it takes time, the plants do recover from the root. 4 days of 22*-30* will kill everything we have back to the root. Then it will be 60* again for a few days. Im always searching for plants that can take this Dr Jekyl, Mr. Hyde weather. I love reading about what it is like in your area. Happy Gardening, Cam
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8388692

Zone envy... we all have it at some time or about some kind of plant, don't we? LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Early Emerging Spring Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Useful List for the Zone 6 Gardens! tabasco 0 Apr 2, 2009 3:26 PM
zone 3 still under snow but- CLScott 6 May 24, 2011 5:07 AM
April oldgal67 1 Mar 18, 2011 4:57 PM
Spring Ephemerals in California woodlan suewylan 2 Mar 19, 2011 7:40 PM
Here in zone 5 pastapicker 0 Feb 11, 2013 9:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America