Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Heirloom Vegetables: OSAKA PURPLE MUSTARD SEED GIVEAWAY

Communities > Forums > Heirloom Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Heirloom VegetablesReplies: 104, Views: 1,331
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #6355359

The Osaka Purple is a beautiful plant in and of itself. I'd plant it just for the brilliant purple color and the curly texture of the leaves. Second, when eaten raw, this plant gets hot (capsacin) as you chew it. The more you masticate the juices, the hotter it gets in your mouth.

But -- and here's the fascinating part -- while you get all the taste of hot in your mouth, your mouth does not burn! And even though your brain is saying, "my mouth is on fire," once you stop getting the juices, you realize your mouth is not burning!

It sorta reminds you of horse radish, and I imagine chewing a large piece would probably hit you just like a mouthful of horse radish (and, no, I haven't been that brave!)

Tiny pieces of the leaves would be great broken up in a fresh green salad.

But, the whole hot/taste thing doesn't happen once it's cooked. Last fall season I loved taking folks on walking tours of my veggie garden and having them chew on a tiny piece! They loved it!

I'll harvest the seed pod in about three weeks and would be happy to share with those who'd like to try them from seed. Just send me a SASE (Self-addressed, STAMPED return envelope). I'll dispatch the seeds until I run out and then I'll post that this offer is closed.

Linda

Send me a dmail if you'd like to send me a SASE for seeds, and I'll send you my addy.

(pic taken from the Seeds of Change website)http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.aspx?item_no=PS15476

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #6420097

Gymgirl
Are these still available? My DH loves hot food.
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #6420134

I'd be interested, too.
Would be happy to trade for some: peppers, tomatoes, squash, cole crops, etc.

Cyndie

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6428880

Ok. I'm sitting in the middle of the median on a major Houston street surrounded by water. I drive a 1992 Buick Riviera with a turbo engine, that sits waaaaaaay to low for this river! But, I am hi and dry, and no lives are in danger. And, oh yeah -- all the Osaka Purple Mustard seeds were posted this morning before this rainstorm! Ya'll will never know how much fun I was having @ 4am this morning, sitting in the middle of the floor, surrounded by seeds and mailing paraphernalia, playing the "Match Game" between the SASEs and old emails because, in the garden, one rarely uses a real name...and, yeah, uh huh, I was taping all those homemade seed packets together... Uh Huh...(yawning) I love you guys.:-) Enjoy, and if you can, please post some pics of your Osaka experience. LINDA -- GYMGIRL! P.S. I still have seeds left if anyone still wants some. PSS. Its going on 2 hours now. Yawn.
Update. It took 5 hours 2 get home
This message was edited Apr 18, 2009 3:27 PM

This message was edited Apr 18, 2009 8:50 PM
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6430118

Gymgirl ~ were you stranded when you typed that??? Hope all is well and the water has gone down by now. I hope too your garden is surviving the flood. Seems like springtime weather gets crazy. If seeds are left, I'm game for some. pod
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

April 20, 2009
5:43 AM

Post #6435535

I only just found this thread now. Do you have any left to trade? I have a nice heirloom lettuce. And plenty of tomatoes, peppers, cucurbits etc.

Lena

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6437253

Pod: Yeah, I typed up a lot of stuff while waiting 5 hours for the water to recede. I just spent $1k on PARTS ($275 labor) for my Rivie, and the rivER wasn't about to touch my engine! I'd still be sitting there, if necessary.

Unfortunately, sitting there for those 5 hours took a toll on my body. Like being in an accident and not feeling it until days later. Sunday morning I could hardly move. Stiff all over. Even my hands hurt. Headachey, and could feel my pulse pounding in my ears (vertigo, too). Needless to say, I didn't do much of anything. I literally holed up in the office and sat at the desk breaking open the remaining seed pods, and logging in people's REAL names on my spreadsheet. I'm keeping a log of my trades.

LENA: Thanks to that rainstorm, YES, I do have many seeds available still. Send me a dmail and I'll send you my addy.

I'm now gonna open this offer up on the general Veggie Growers and Beginner Gardening Forums till the supply is depleted.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2009 12:15 PM

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6437461

Linda - sent you a dmail. I'd LOVE some of your seeds!! Love, love, love greens, but have never tried mustard. If you still have some send me your addy and I'll send you an envie. Kelly
MntMs
Auberry, CA
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #6475560

Thanks for the seeds, They had a really fast germination!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #6476335

Heidi,
You mean you've already germinated some of the seeds???!!!! Wow! POST PICS, PLEASE so I can see!!!!! What're your temps right now? They LOVE it cool/cold and made it through temps as low as 40-35 degrees. My mustards and collards love it around 45-40 degrees, and start to faint when temps get above 80 for long periods, so I'm hoping you have enough cool days/nights to grow em' up good. Make sure you separate them into individual containers. I grew only two together in a 24" container from Sam's/Costco, and they did fine. And no problem with buggies, either!

Congrats!

Linda

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #6477096

Linda - I received my seeds today. Thank you again!! I can't wait for the end of summer so I can plant them. Will update in the fall with pictures. Kelly
michiganrocks
Big Rapids, MI

April 29, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #6478167

Linda - Thank you for the seeds! I am excited to plant them this week. We still have cool weather here so I can't wait to harvest and try it. Thank you again for your generous offer.
MntMs
Auberry, CA
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2009
5:31 AM

Post #6478381

Linda,
I seperated most of them today. I didn't plant all the seeds yet. I have about 12 seedlings. More than I thought I planted. I thought I might see how they do in the spring. I live at an elevation where it doesn't get too hot. I'm going to try planting them in part shade.
Heidi

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #6479106

Heidi,
Could you post a pic for me? Ya'll should know that, while I GREW them last fall, it was from a seedling. This fall I'll be starting them from seeds for the 1st time, just like everyone else!

Looks like you're the frontrunner, Heidi. We'll all be following your lead, so take GOOD notes, keep us posted, and make copious comments! I'm really, really excited about this!

Godspeed and Good Harvest!

And post some progress pics for us!

Linda
MntMs
Auberry, CA
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #6479595

O.K., your making me grow Gymgirl. I'm not that savvy with the pic stuff, but I think I figured it out.
I did'nt say they were big yet. Actually there are 10 so far, I hadn't actually counted before.
Can you see them? There are 4 in the black container, and 6 in the cups that I pulled out yesterday.

Heidi

Thumbnail by MntMs

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6479915

Heidi, If I'm making you grow, then Bloom where you are planted!

GREAT pic! OOh, OOH, I see them in the square thingy! Wow! How many days?

BTW, you're providing the online tutorial for at least one other DGer that I sent to find this thread. She wants to plant her seeds now, too, so I told her to come follow your progress notes!

Hugs and thanks!

Linda
MntMs
Auberry, CA
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #6481771

Linda ,
By the end of the day I did have 12 and divided them all. They all seem to be doing great, even though they are hard to see in the picture. I planted them the day I got them on the 22nd so I guess the the gerination is 5, maybe, 4 to 7 days, I might still get some more sprouts. That was easy, I like easy!
Heidi

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #6482285

I'm just glad 2 know we're working with real seeds!
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6507856

Mine are coming up! Yippee! Might just sneak a mess or two in before it gets too hot.

Only planted a few seeds. The rest will be used for Fall planting. Plan to let one of the ones that are now coming up go to seed. Should have plenty from now on.

Thanks

Jerry

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6507924

That's cool, Jerry. Wish I could plant mine, but fall is not too far away . . .

Kelly
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6535549

Thank you Linda, I received and direct sowed my seeds today. They are planted near my Mizuna mustards so I may not have good luck in saving the seeds because of cross pollination. I look forward to salads.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #6535849

Hmmm... I'm jealous. I got my seeds ~ thank you very much but will have to wait for cooler weather to give them a go. Pouting here. 8 (
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #6535894

Oh, I don't want to see any pouting from you Texas folk who are out there bragging about the crops you've already harvested. I've recommended to mangagement that those of us who are heat and sun deprived be able to block messages from those blessed with heat and sun.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #6535937

LOL ~ At the temps and humidity we are now savouring, I will gladly share if I could figure how to package and ship it! I'd even pay the postage!!! 8 )
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2009
4:37 AM

Post #6537367

And Podster, I would gladly ship back clouds and rain. But I guess I could do without the humidity. :-)
jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #6539630

Hi Gymgirl ...

Got my seeds too...but since I'm in N. Texas -- I'll be waiting to plant with my fall garden.

BTW: What does the 'seed pod' look like on these type of plants ?

Many thanks...
Jann

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6539781

Hey, Jan Girl!
The "seed pod" looks like a miniature green bean. After all is over and it gets too hot, the mustard will start throwing up buttercup yellow blooms all over. It'll look like a huge flower, and the bees will buzz all over it! Then, It'll start sending up these long stalks. After a coupla weeks you'll start to notice the little seed pods ALL UP AND DOWN those long stalks. They'll be green.

I kept watering my mustard all the way through to this green pod phase. Then, I spoke with Farmerdill who told me I could probably stop watering and the plant would dry up on it's own schedule from there. So I let the stalk do its own thing. You must be diligent at this point, however. I noticed a parade of snails trying to climb up those stalks, probably to munch on the tender pods. So, get ready to pick 'em off.

After another couple weeks, my stalks were so long they began to keel over, threatening to pull themselves outta the planter. I cut all the long stalks and brought 'em inside to finish drying out. On second thought, probably better to cut 'em down when they JUST BEGIN to turn brown. Trying to move them anywhere after they dry out is like having a moneybag with a hole in it!

Since those seeds are soooooooooo very tiny (providing such a wonderful illustration to just how little a measure of faith we are called to exercise), harvesting was challenging until I got the hang of it. Best way is to carefully and gently cut the branches from the stalk and put 'em in a bag (I used a white 13 gallon garbage can liner). Better to leave the stalks alone until most all of the pods are dried, cause I tried to harvest just the dried ones and leave the unripe ones -- too tricky, cause some of the dry pods will burst all over the place! So, let 'em all dry and do this only once if you can. I stuck my bag in a closet for about a week.

Once all the pods are dry in the bag, tie it off and start whacking it, or tossing it or vigorously crunching it together. The dried pods break open very easily and you'll end up with a bag full of broken pods and tiny mustard seeds at the bottom. You can pull out the stalks and break any that didn't crack open.

Unbelievable how many seeds are in each one of those pods, and how many pods you end up with!

Enjoy the process.

Godspeed and Good Harvest!

Linda
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6570889

FYI I went out in the rain to check on my garden and lots of little mustards from your seeds are poking their heads up. I suppose I will have to thin them. I don't give many of my plants names (only one so far this season), but I still have a hard time throwing away a perfectly good little plant.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6570936

MichaelZ,
I had to learn the very hard way that, 'THIN IS IN!' So, don't be like me and try to save 'em all -- THIN the mustards. They grow about 2 ft. tall and span about 18" across. I had only one in a 24" container. Oh, and the roots don't go very deep at all. You'd think they would, huh?

Anyway, do yourself a favor and thin. If you get a good crop, trust me, you'll have enough seeds to give EVERYONE on Dave's Garden!
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

May 29, 2009
6:50 AM

Post #6612675

Hey Linda the seeds arrived, thank you! :-) I got a few started today, now I wait.

Lena

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6614675

You know, one of the wonderful things about Dave's Garden is it's international arms. Imagine. Somewhere in Palmerston North, NEW ZEALAND, mustard greens seeds harvested from a plant in HOUSTON, TEXAS are settling in and getting ready to produce a whole new crop! How cool is that? Waaaaaaaaaaaaay KEWL!

Lena, keep me posted and deliriously giggly by posting some pics if/when you can of the seeds' progress.

Linda

wow...
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6615047

Not a good picture. The light meter on my camera is going away. I have a new camera on order. Anyway, I promise I will thin these little guys.

Z

Thumbnail by MichaelZ

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #6615074

MZ,
Are the mustards the 3 big sprigs or the GAZILLION tiny little lines :-)?
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #6615123

The seeds were very productive. I hope it doesn't get too hot here to keep them going. They are the many little guys next to the onions. In the background are a few plants that I had been plucking as weeds. Turns out they are volunteer tomatoes from plants that got out of control last year. Ooops. :-)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6616096

Ok, I say all of us who are waiting for fall to sow these seeds should do so on the same day and then compare notes on the growth! What say ye all?
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

May 30, 2009
5:43 AM

Post #6616776

I love that aspect of DG too Linda, and yes I will post some pics once I have something to take pictures of!

Lena

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #6619069

Hey, Linda!

I'm in. We're in the same zone, so let me know when you are gonna sow yours . . .

Kelly

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #6664699

Hey you guys who've already sowed seeds!

What's the Osaka report! Send pics, please!
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #6665112

Every time I come to this forum, I see that beautiful photo and regret not having any seeds. I also just had to buy mustard seeds to use for pickling some okra in the hopes I have enough of a crop. I hope one of you kind souls will offer some of this seed again in time for fall planting. It seems that this would make a fine ornamental for the front yard over the winter and still allow some some harvesting.
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6665462

Hey, Gymgirl!

It's supposed to rain all week, but I will take pics of mine this weekend.
It's a beautiful plant.
Cyndie

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6668086

HEY, TWIGGYBUDS, I STILL HAVE SEEDS...! :-)
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6668720

Yaaaaaaaaaaay. I'll be in touch. I'm going to start working up some new space this week by killing the grass and then loading it with leafmold. I bet everybody that comes by the house will ask me what it is. Maybe some cabbage and spikey onions for texture contrast. It sounds pretty to me. Thanks big bunches.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #6670051

Can't wait until it's time to plant mine.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #6670065

I second that Cajun!!

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

June 11, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #6670650

Mine came up a few days ago, about 25-30 of them, but they are very tiny. I will wait till they are more recognizable before I take pictures. Its so cold by now, everything is growing so slowly. Wish it would stop raining, but it probably wont till September. Instead of snow we get rain, lots and lots of it.

I have exams this week (Im in my 5th and final year at college) so stressy but YAAAY almost holidays!
MntMs
Auberry, CA
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6673704

Here's an Osaka baby picture.

Thumbnail by MntMs

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6673742

Wow! If you plant them, they will come...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #6675385

Cool plant MntMs ~ are you gonna leave it there? I like it!
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #6675814

Guess what is going to be added to my salad tonight.

Thumbnail by MichaelZ

MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6675824

And you are absolutely right about the horseradish rush. I love it.

Thumbnail by MichaelZ

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2009
3:36 AM

Post #6676448

M
Are those red dutch onions? I have some coming along. I planted them where I harvested my green onions. I think the red dutch are a bulbing onion but I'm not sure. Can anyone give me any info on them?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #6676534

Mike, didn't I just send you seeds yesterday?!! You made me remember something. I think too much sun might bleach the color from the leaves, hence growing the Osakas in moderate to bright, but not direct sunlight. Linda
MntMs
Auberry, CA
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2009
4:19 AM

Post #6676625

Yes Podster, I transplanted it there. I ended up with 13 seedlings from one seed container, after sowing what I thought were just a few of the seeds sent me. I tucked them all over my yard. I saved about 13 hollow oak rounds my husband cut this year from the splitter. He was a good sport about it. Hmm 13, and 13. No, that's the only one with Osaka in it. The others are larger and have zucchini, yellow squash, green tint scallop squash, tomates, peppers, eggplant, and upperground sweet potatoes in them.
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2009
4:46 AM

Post #6676717

Linda, now you tell me. :-) Maybe I'll have to get them little parasols.

Cajun, those are Red Comred onions. My first time planting bulb onions, but they sounded so good and I do like red onion. I haven't heard of Red Dutch.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2009
11:54 AM

Post #6677189

Mntms ~ great idea. That is an accomodating guy you have ~ LOL. I got my own chainsaw, think I'll go in search of a hollow tree or two. I am impressed.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6677645

I'm Sorry everybody. ;-(
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2009
4:42 AM

Post #6681019

I can't plant mine until later so I'll have to remember the filtered sunlight.
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #6719840

Anyone want to suggest a recipe for these three? Bok choy, mustard and red onion. I'm thinking a quick saute with a touch of red wine vinegar and salt and pepper. Any other suggestions?

Thumbnail by MichaelZ

MntMs
Auberry, CA
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #6719901

You could saute with a little soy sauce, and Mirin( rice wine). I would add garlic too.
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6719932

Garlic is a definite add in. And I hadn't thought of mirin and it is in the cupboard. I will think about the soy, but I think it tends to overpower greens. Salivation ensues. Thank you.
RussMartin4154
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2009
6:10 AM

Post #6825538

Here is my Osaka Purple Mustard, seeds courtesy of Linda.

Seeds were started indoors and set out when plants were about 3 inches tall on 10 June.

Despite the heat, the plants are doing well in this partially-shaded part of my garden, back behind the tomatoes.

Russ

This message was edited Jul 16, 2009 11:03 AM

Thumbnail by RussMartin4154

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

July 16, 2009
7:24 AM

Post #6825589

I havent planted mine in the garden yet, but they are almost ready. Cute little seedlings with about 4 true leaves. The leaves are mostly green, with purple edges.

Can anyone tell me at which temperature they will start to bolt?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6826256

When it starts to get moderately hot, around 78-85 degrees. They laugh and play in temps averaging 50-42 degrees!

Russ,
They should start turning purple as they get more mature. Thanks for the update, and the target to shoot for!

Linda.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #6826466

I'm looking at sowing mine around the 1st of October, maybe a little earlier if the weather is cool enough! Thanks for the photo, Russ!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6828418

I wondered if the plants in that photo are green due to hiding in the shade? Many plants take on the purple shades when exposed to direct sun. Any thoughts?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #6829071

Its kinda strange Pod. The Persian Shield I bought for its brilliant deep purple color was fading in the sunlight. So I moved it to some shade and today it is a gorgeous deep purple once again. Go figure. As I recall, the OPM started showing purple after it got some size on it. Mine grew in moderately bright sunlight. I didn't want it 2 fry in any direct sunlight. It seemed to be at its best and most beautiful on a cool/cold sun shiny day.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #6829256

Other succulents like purple heart and Callisia navicularis turn a deeper purple in sunlight. Go figure! Looking forward to growing some Osaka... thx
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

July 17, 2009
9:06 AM

Post #6829801

I agree that sunlight could play a role enhancing purple in the leaves. Ill be watching them.

I just purchased a cloche system, 1x1x4m, will plant them out under it when I've set it up.
RussMartin4154
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2009
6:18 AM

Post #6833637

UPDATE:

As of this morning, the largest leaves are beginning to show a hint of purple.

I'll give them a few days, then post a new photograph.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #6834143

Told yah!
RussMartin4154
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6855111

I've got flowers on one plant. Are they self-pollinating? I'd like to save some seeds for next year.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #6860640

Hey Russ!
My OSM put out the same brilliant yellow blooms. It was my first experience growing OSP, so I didn't know about saving seeds. I let it bloom and then the bloom started throwing these long "stalks" out of the blooms. I asked and Farmerdill told me to let 'em be. I never stopped watering it while it was blooming and throwing up the stalks. Farmerdill said it would start dying out on its own whether I watered it or not. After awhile the pods did start drying out and turning brown. They looked like wheat?.

I noticed at this point that snails started crawling up and attacking the stalk so I was diligent to pick 'em off. I let the majority of the pods turn brown on their own. A word of CAUTION! The dried pods are EXTREMELY brittle and will pop open very easily. After I realized they would break open all over the ground, I GENTLY cut them down and put them into a white garbage bag to them continue drying up inside. I put the bag in a closet for about another week, till the majority of the pods had turned brown.

I found the best way to "THRESH" the seeds is to just seal the bag, and beat it with a big spoon or toss it around or gently scrunch it till you crack open most of the pods. Then, cut a small hole in one corner of the bottom and just pour out your seeds. They'll run like water, and they are VEEEEEEERY tiny, as you know. All the big branches and the chaff will get trapped in the bag. As you pull the trash out you can crack any you didn't catch before. So, get your container ready.

The seeds you got were from the OSP I grew for the first time. I'll be growing this fall's crop from some of the same seeds, for the very first time! Which is why I'm paying careful attention to your growing experience!

Hope this helps!

Linda

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #6881939

My tiny ones are coming along great.
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

August 24, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #6984420

The long promised picture. I tried yesterday and it wouldn't work, lets hope it does now.

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #6986212

Lena,
That is soooooooooooooooooo totally awesome! Thanks for the update. Now you've got to fill us in on your growing conditions.

I've told this story of the seeds making their way across America and now all the way to New Zealand to 3 of my co-workers this morning!

This message was edited Aug 25, 2009 12:02 PM
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

August 28, 2009
9:40 AM

Post #6996881

We are just having our first big spring storm. My new cloche got ripped to pieces while I was on a short holiday, three big trays of newly transplanted tomato seedlings got destroyed too. I only just came home two hours ago so I'm still a bit in shock from the loss.
Lucky I didn't plant the mustard under the cloche after all! Its safe and happy in a raised bed near the fence. Before that the weather has been great, the first spring warmth, plenty of flowers and sunshine. Still a bit cold at night though, about 4C. 39F

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6998099

Lena---That is so sad about your seedlings. Will you have time to start more? We have a narrow band of time to start tomatoes and I had losses this year inside my GH. A mouse ate of the heads, but they were tiny, so I was able to start more. It's always such a shock when things like that happen. All in all, we didn't have a very good year for tomatoes anyway. My sister is sending me some via a friend. She lives in a hotter clime than I do.
So, guess I will make salsa tomorrow after all.
My mustard is coming along for fall harvest.
We are having our first fall rain today. Just kind of spitting out there.
Good luck with your garden this year...
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

August 29, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #7000177

Luckily I do have time to start more. I start mine in batches to spread the burden a little, hoping to end up with about 200 plants. This was the first early lot, big enough to be outside under the cloche. Batch 2 is almost ready to get their own pots, batch 3 is still germinating, batch 4 will be started in a week. Then I will have to re-do the first lot. Some I dont have any more seeds left over, they came from very small trades. I have picked out a few that I am trying to revive indoors, poor wee things look so sad with their leaves torn and stems bent. Will need to get a new plastic sheet for the cloche and try to fix it. Biggest loss is the tray of rootstock seedlings that I had started early. Had a grafting project planned for this spring. One of the professors at the university was going to help me, he said to get the stocks a bit bigger than the scions, and get it all started a bit earlier to allow for the recovery time after grafting. Ahh winge winge winge. Now that Ive got if off my chest I wont let it get me down.

The Pennysylvannia Potato Leaf seeds I traded with you were great by the way, and the French Heirloom lettuce! Have lots of big beautiful spotty lettuces ready for picking. And I saved seeds and shared them with some friends, including a primary school principal who is growing them with his students!

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #7002965

Oh--Thank you for sharing that, Lena. I love that kind of feedback. That lettuce is great. Good luck with your seedlings and all your gardening season. Ours is almost over. I canned salsa and creole veggies in sauce all day today. Back hurts from all the standing but I am a happy squirrel.
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

August 30, 2009
8:55 AM

Post #7003818

Ah the joys of canning, standing over boiling water in a hot kitchen all day, burnt fingers and tired legs. But so satisfying to see the completed product. Creole veges in sauce sounds good, would you mind sharing the recipe please?

Glad to hear you got some tomatoes after all. Will you have a fall garden?

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #7018818

The tomatoes were grown by my sister in a hotter climate, but I started the plants for her. I have been getting a few, but not enough for salsa and Creole Veggies.

Here is my recipe for Creole Veggies. It calls for Okra, but of course we don't grow okra here. So, I substitute zucchini. I use the older ones, (not the young tender ones) and scrape out the seed area. I also peel them and cube them in about 1/2 to 1 inch squares. (Don't be too picky.) So, where I say zucchini, you will know that it originally says okra.
One more thing. I half this recipe. After all there are only two of us.

16 cups chopped peeled tomatoes---approx. 12 pds.
4 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped green bell peppers
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tea. sugar
4 tea. salt
1 tea. hot red pepper flakes
16 cups cubed zucchini (or sliced okra 1/2 inch thick (8pds)

In a large pot combine all ingredients (except okra) Bring to a boil over med. heat. Reduce heat to low. cover and simmer 30 mins. stirring often. Stir in okra. Bring mixture back to boil. Spoon mixture into 1 HOT jar at a time, leaving 1 inch head space. Wipe rim, attach lid and place in a pressure canner. Process in a pressure canner at 10 pds pressure.
Pints: 30 mins. Quarts: 35 mins.

This can be added to soups and stews, but my favorite for a quick meal is to chop sausage (pre cooked) into the mix in a fry pan, heat, then add quick rice or cooked rice and heat until done.
PS The zucchini doesn't get mushy.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #7018859

Oh, Lena, I forgot to mention that for Fall I am growing a row each of kohlrabi, spinach, carrots, and leeks. Also cabbage, brussels sprouts and some lettuce here and there. I get a bit tired of the garden by now, so planting becomes secondary, I'm afraid. I meant to get in some pearl onions, but didn't. More carrots, too, but didn't. Oh, well. We will have quite enough I am sure. LOL
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

September 4, 2009
9:24 AM

Post #7024322

Thank you for sharing that recipe, I will write it down and try it in summer. I like that it doesnt require much sugar, so many preserves do. They still taste great but not so good if your watching your health.

Im growing some okra for the first time this summer, its not really grown or eaten here, but Id like to try anyway. I dont even know what it tastes like yet! Now I have my first recipe to use it in. Always have plenty of zucchinis to use too.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #7137570

I'm so excited our weather is finally cooling down a bit. We went from 100+ last week to low 80s this week! I think fall has finally arrived.

OK - so I planted a square of the mustard seeds yesterday!! Reading back in the thread I planted 4 in a sq ft and now I think thye will be waaaaayyyyy too close together - lol. I might be able to make it work if I keep the leaves harvested though. Will plant some more squares and maybe a container with just one plant...

I can't wait to see how these taste! I will let you know how it goes.

Kelly
RussMartin4154
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2009
8:08 AM

Post #7156996

This has been a sucko season in Nebraska--a cool, wet summer, with "hot" days you could count on the fingers of one hand. Then, yesterday, we're hit with snow, followed tonight by a 22-degree low.

All of my OPM seed pods were green. (Shuckydarn, I still had eggplant and tomatoes and cucumbers and squash desperately producing blossoms--the eggplants were going crazy!)

Can anyone spare me some more OPM seed for spring?

I have some seeds to trade . . . some fabulous True Red Cranberry beans and some Dow Purple beans, and some experimental tomato growouts.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #7386237

Here are a couple pics of the OPM planted 10.04.09...

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #7386241

and another...

Thumbnail by locakelly

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #7397005

That sure is pretty.
jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
9:53 PM

Post #7417537

Wow -- those are looking good. My seeds didn't do so well. Started them indoors...and then they died when I moved them to out to the patio. sigh. One of these days I'll get this process figured out.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2010
11:56 PM

Post #7417922

I direct seeded mine as I do with most everything I grow. I do start some maters and peppers inside as backups...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #7484743

Lookie what was coming up in the middle of the yard, in a bare dirt patch, under a shade tree...with the bright light just flooding down on that brilliant purple!

Bad pic. I'll try again...

This message was edited Jan 22, 2010 1:38 AM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
7:34 AM

Post #7484751

This is much better.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2010 1:39 AM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7484769

Feed it!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #7484898

Are you sure you didn't mean eat it? LOL

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7485234

It's a baby!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
3:31 PM

Post #7485378

Feed it and then eat it!!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7485403

Vulture! ^:-)^

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7485419

hee hee hee

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #7903012

Ok. Consider this bump a last call for OPM seeds, 'cause I just located the last of em.

First dibs go to people I promised seeds to a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago who never got them. So, if I promised you OPM seeds and you never got them, PLEASE SEND ME A DMAIL saying so, and I'll dispatch them TODAY! Trust me. You wanna lemme know while I'm in the zone, with the seeds in one hand and the envelopes in the other hand, and the fact that today IS Saturday...

Hugs!

Linda
jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7903121

LInda...

Do you start these seeds indoors NOW (June / July) for a 'fall garden' ..??..

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7903153

Jannz2,
I'd wait at least until the end of August to sow the seeds. It's much too hot here now (avg. mid-90s with heat index up to around 98-100).

OPMs behave just like mustard greens, so if you grow those, you'll have a proper timeframe. I only did it once before, planting a seedling during Thanksgiving week. But, I've learned it likes the cool/cold temps, so I could've started it a bit earlier than late-November. It starts to bolt in Spring when the sustained temps rise above 70-75. It does fine in temps down to the mid-40s. It can even tolerate occasional drops down to the mid-30s with some protection.

I'll probably start it here in late-August to mid-September and then stagger plant out seedlings every three weeks until mid-Oct. It doesn't take long for it to take off! Get your camera ready.

Linda

This message was edited Jun 19, 2010 3:13 PM
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #8087104

I'm so glad to have found this thread cuz now I know what it is that has been popping up all over my garden for the last several years. I probably planted them originally from a combination of seeds packet and never knew which one it was. That description of the heat in them is accurate all right. I use it in moderation in salads for that bite they have. They need no attention from me at all. In fact they are so prolific that I occasionally pull them out to make space for other things. Really, they just pop up everywhere and now they have a name. Thanks for that.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2010
12:14 PM

Post #8087464

You are very welcome!

I found a lone stranger smack dab in the middle of our bare ground walkway. Just popped up outta nowhere, 'cause the only one I planted was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay across the yard. Musta been the wind or a bird that carried a seed all that way. But it was exciting finding him, AND being able to immediately recognize what it was! You certainly can't mistake that brilliant purple color!

Here he is a couple weeks after I dug him up and moved him outta the way!

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #8257642

I planted my seed you sent me. It was doing great. So pretty. But snow caught it and killed it. I am so bummed.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 8, 2011
8:53 AM

Post #8360783

I am fixing to plant some of this. Love this color plus I have a red one I am gonna try.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 22 May 19, 2014 7:30 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America