Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Sustainable Alternatives: Another "Government" Garden... Yippee!

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 5, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6356781

Baltimore City Hall Garden Plots to Be Planted in Veggies

"This was being planned before the White House," said Mayor Sheila Dixon, firmly. "We are not copying!"

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2009/04/02-0
rtl850nomore
Glendale/Parks, AZ

April 3, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6357273

One more garden...one more soldier in the war against non-food food.
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6357387

Just think how many folks visiting City Hall will see that garden and take away some inspiration or if nothing else learn what a real vegetable plant looks like.

I do hope they select enough variety to demonstrate that even a small balcony can produce worthwhile amounts. I've discovered a whole new world of dwarf tomato plants, for example, that produce full size fruits. It should be obvious to anyone with a little piece of dirt but I really want the apartment dwellers to get into the act as well.

I notice it's the women having the good sense to recognize the importance of basic self help.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #6358905

I hope so, Twiggy. The Baltimore inner city is all row houses, most with scant backyards, if any. Row houses abut the sidewalks, and there is a long custom of scrubbing their white marble steps daily; at best they would have room for 2 potted plants out front (which would be immediately vandalized).

The sad thing is that those inner city communities are dense ethnic populations who adore good foods, and all the old-time corner greengrocers have virtually disappeared. When I lived there, I knew families of 3 generations who had never been outside the city limits, and I doubt their children had ever seen a growing tomato.

What an opportunity they now have to experience a garden in person!
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #6359717

I can see the new inner city culture. Instead of gangs defending their turf there will be communities defending their gardens.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #6359838

LOL!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America