Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: Retractable Clothesline

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 6, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6360780

I would like to put up one of these, and our Lowes does not have any.
I was wondering if any one here has used one?
what did you like about it, not like about it?
Does it stay taunt, hold heavy items like jeans?
What brand did you buy?
ect ect

With electricity getting so high, and going to be higher, I am going to be hanging out my laundry, and I would even like to put one up in my house to use in the winter. No more dryer for me!

On top of that I am working on my hot water heater usage as well, so any tips there would be equally appreciated.

DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 4, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6361295

Don't know anything about retractable clotheslines, but I have a few ideas about your hot water usage.

First, if you have a clothes washer, don't use hot or warm water to wash clothes. The new detergents work just as well in cold as warm or hot water, so it's just a waste to use it.

A hot water recirculating pump is a great investment. It pumps the hot water in a loop so that you're not wasting water waiting for the "hot" water to get where ever it is you need it.

Short of a recirc pump, catch the cold water, that runs while you're waiting for the hot water to arrive, in a bucket, pan or something and use it to water your house or garden plants, make coffee, tea, juice etc. Store it in your washer until you need to use the washer again. You can even dump it into your toilet from a bucket to flush the toilet.

One last one, adjust your comfort level incrementally to cooler showers. You'd be surprised at how comfortable you can be in cooler water once you acclimate yourself to it.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2009
2:32 AM

Post #6361683

I do all my laundry in cold water and use a home made detergent, with no fabric softener. So I don't think I could get any cheaper there!
I always run full loads and sometimes my washer doesn't wring them out good, so I run the spin cycle again.

That is a neat idea about dumping the extra water into the washer.
The kitchen is just off the wash room, so I might try that. Was thinking about putting up some large barrels outside to divert gray water and use that in the summer to water my plants. I have alot of plants!

I don't know about adjusting the temp lower and getting used to it. I am a cold natured person and I hate being cold. I would rather it be 100 degrees lol
But I am thinking in the summer I could lower the temp, after working outside it is nice to have a cooler shower, and the hotter water would just be needed in the winter. Our tank is insulated really well. We got rid of the dishwasher. I think it used alot of energy, we don't have to keep the water quite as hot, and the dishes get done much faster and are cleaner by hand. Plus I don't have to wait for them, I can wash and use an item whenever I need it.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6361693

A hot water recirculating pump is a great investment. It pumps the hot water in a loop so that you're not wasting water waiting for the "hot" water to get where ever it is you need it.

Can you elaborate a little more on this?
What is it? Hubby says he is clueless as to what you are talking about :)
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 4, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #6362021

Actually here's a link I found on google. It's one of a number of available products. The one I have turns on with an RF switch at each faucet.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E78XHG
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

April 7, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6378701

We had one in Tulsa when I was in HS. Had 4 lines and hooked to a post. Could be wound back to the house on a reel. The lines will stretch, so keep the loads balanced. Mom didn't and one line was about a foot longer than the rest.

I have not seen them in many years.

We also had a collapsible (like an umbrella) with several lines. It would rotate, so you could stand in one place and load it up. Had the same problem with stretching the lines, though. And you could not easily hang sheets, blankets, etc. - too much weight on one side. Needed to watch the balance all the time, but it was fine for small items - hankys, towels, etc.
tigerlily
Tiller, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6904057

My mom has always had the hot water at the bathroom sink turned off underneath. She washes her face while in the shower, and says she doesn't need hot or warm water for simple hand washing.

By the way, if you shop at Lowe's or Home Depot, they both give a 10% discount to veterans, if it's mentioned at checkout, and VA card or whatever is shown.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America