-
AuthorContent
linjasar
Sarver, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6363384

I would like to purchase several raised beds for veggies. I am in zone 5a so frost/snow are major concerns. Has anyone purchased a raised bed kit and liked it?
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6364953

We have made all of our beds, but Gardener's Supply does sell kits for making beds.

http://www.gardeners.com/Raised-Beds/VegetableGardening_RaisedBeds,default,sc.html
feldon30
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2009
6:09 AM

Post #6366240

Whatever course you choose -- I would suggest making your bed no wider than 3-4 feet in one direction. This is so you can reach into the bed and tend to the plants in the middle without having to bend over really far or even step into the bed to keep your balance.

I just scraped off the grass, went to Home Depot, bought lumber, screwed it together with L-brackets in the corners, and filled it with dirt. I did not weed barrier.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2009
8:40 AM

Post #6366387

I made my raised beds out of dirt. Its cheap and it doesn't rot. Looks pretty good too.

Used a variation of French Double Dug Raised beds. Made them about 3 feet wide rather than 5 or 6 as the instructions below call for. Also make them a little higher...just over two feet. Cut them into the lawn and a narrow (6"or so) trench filled with mulch along the border stops the grass from growing into the beds.

http://www.endtimesreport.com/french_intensive_gardening.html
linjasar
Sarver, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #6366794

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. My plan is to start with a couple of 4 x 8 beds.
feldon30
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6367495

It all depends where you live. Hilling up soil and making raised beds without stone/wood sides is fine if you don't live somewhere that gets torrential monsoon rains like we do in Houston. In PA, you might be able to just do raised beds without sides. 4x8 is a good manageable size. I put 6-7 tomato plants in one of those.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6367601

Hadn't thought of that Feldon. Good point. We get pitter-patter rain here in CT mostly. Now and then a driving rain but every spot in my dirt beds not shaded by vegetables is covered with purslane which prevents erosion.

(that happened by itself. birds must have carried it in as I see it nowhere else in the neighborhood. Makes a nice living mulch for tomatoes, peppers and eggplant. Creeps within a foot or so of the plants and then stops.)
linjasar
Sarver, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #6369050

Thanks everyone. I have decided to go with cedar beds from Natural Yards. Lots of sizes and no screws for frost to damage. Now I just must decide what sizes and how many to get.

Thanks again and have a super weekend.
txgal2
Lake Jackson, TX

April 15, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #6411758

I recently purchase raised beds from Bluegrass Garden Beds and Raised Bed Garden Kits. They are different but I really like both. Raised Bed ships really fast. They are very easy to assemble. No tools required.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6414087

We purchased the lumber from Lowes. We have five beds 25' x 4' the boards are 6" wide. There's bamboo growing in the corner of our lot, so hubby cut some for stakes to keep the sides upright. Longer bamboo stakes are used for the tomatoes.
Barbsbackyard
Santa Barbara, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6443068

Hi,

After gardening for years using raised beds I wouldn't garden any other way now. It started out of necessity because of very sandy soil and gophers. We had the lumber yard pre-cut redwood to the length and width of the
beds we wanted to build. The only other tool we needed for assembly was a drill and very large decking
screws. I used a 4 inch length. The beds were made of 2' X 12" redwood with 2"X4" corner pieces. I attached
aviary wire to the bottom of the beds for gopher control. Some of the beds lasted close to 20 years plus before the
termites hollowed them out. We have replaced those beds with new ones but still are using some of the original
beds. It was years later that I came along and cut capping for the beds from 2"X4" redwood. I used a mitre saw
for that. It gives the beds a nice finished appearance plus it gives you a place to perch if you are weeding.

I've wondered about using some of the new decking material that is being advertised but am not sure how safe
it is to use around food production. I try to garden as organically as possible so treated wood of any kind is not
used in the garden.

I love the raised beds because you can amend your beds generally or specifically for the crop you are growing. I
use a lot of compost in my beds and after all this time they finally resemble a nice loam.

Good luck with your new beds.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other High Yield Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant spacing jkehl 25 Apr 26, 2011 11:01 AM
How can you tell if you have enough space? sowersjoy 12 Mar 5, 2007 2:32 PM
Designing Raised Beds for Veggies CultivatingKate 24 Mar 25, 2013 1:20 PM
Container growing vs. raised bed growing yields silverglow 63 Dec 1, 2011 7:34 PM
Square Foot Gardening (SFG) construction pics 1_Lucky_Texan 55 May 20, 2013 7:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America