Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Houseplants: Madagascar Dragon Tree- leaves turning brown/ yellow

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 6, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kookum
Sioux Lookout
Canada

April 4, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #6364489

I recently purchased a Dragon Tree, which was perfectly healthy when I brought it home. Within 2 weeks, the leaves have turned yellow and now brown and dry at the tips- what am I doing wrong? It is always beside a big window, I fertilized it once, and water it every 1-2 weeks. The temperature in the apartment is usually around 15Celcius or warmer, and quite humid. Is this too cold for this plant? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thumbnail by kookum
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Smokey_SC
Piedmont, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2009
8:58 PM

Post #6368472

Stick your finger, to first knuckle, down in the dirt and see if the soil is damp. Usually brown dry tips means not enough water.
kookum
Sioux Lookout
Canada

April 5, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #6368535

yup, soil is damp. Maybe I have over-watered it?
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2009
6:09 AM

Post #6370770

There's always the possibility of fertilizer burn. Overwatering can cause the same symptoms as underwatering. The roots aren't able to take in air when they are wet all the time. It is prob. a copout to say your plant is showing stress from a new environment, but that could be part of the problem. Does it drain well when you do water? I don't know 15C, but if you can stand it in the apt. then the plant should be able to. Did you happen to bring the plant home on a day when the temp was far below freezing? Just moving it from the car into the apt. could have been long enough to shock the plant. All you can do is let the soil get nearly dry between waterings and wait it out.
cruz4him
Toronto, ON
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6373233

It could also be transplant shock. My draceanas always drop their leaves if I move them from their current location to another or when I repot. They are really sensitive!!
kookum
Sioux Lookout
Canada

April 7, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6375065

oh, it was definitely below zero when we moved it, and it was in the car fror 5 hours.. we had the heat on but maybe it was too cold.
I will keep an eye on it and wait and see. Do you think its ok to trim off the brown ends?
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #6375692

We love to grow tropicals, but they are obviously very cold-sensitive. As I said, even moving it in from the car into the apt. in very cold weather can send one into shock or even kill it. If you feel better trimming the burnt ends off, do it. You won't know for several weeks if the plant is dead or has enough stamina left to recover.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America