First Time WS#8: Still sowing? Growing?

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

Welcome! Many of us here are wintersowing for the first time this year. We hang out on this thread to discuss any and all questions, comments and happenings along the way. Those of you who are experienced - come help us! : )

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/961905/

I am hoping to get some time to sow some more containers of annuals and some more tender stuff. I have been saying that for weeks now and it really truly is APRIL! The thing for me is that we have a wedding this month and I am throwing a Bridal Shower tomorrow and we have out of town guests and all kinds of things this month. I don't know when I am going to squeeze it in. I just know I want to get a head start on a few things that I was waiting on.

Temps here are lower during the day, but higher at night. Weird huh? Seems we have been down in the 50s and 60s in the day, but only in the high 30s and even 40s at night. So not much chance of freezing. I think there is still like a 10% chance that we could have a hard freeze before the end of April. I have been trying to research it, but it is hard to say, and since this my first year with seeds, I never paid much attention! HA!

What are you up to these days? Counting sprouts? Still sowing?

This message was edited Apr 4, 2009 10:32 PM

Thumbnail by LissaD
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Lissa.... I havent checked my containers today, [and we are expecting SNOW again!!] but a few days ago, i noticed a few echinacea seedlings.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Was going to do a couple more things today...my butterfly weed and some more milkweed and I can not find those seeds any where.

I think when I was trying to get things all together so I wouldn't loose stuff I may have thrown away the envelope they were in by mistake. aargh!!! A very nice DG'er had been very generous to share. I do have a samll container of the milkweed out...no sprouts yet.

So lesson for next year is to have a storage spot/container to put all seeds in when they arrive!!

Is it okay to go ahead and sow Dill?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

nanny -- let me check my stash.... I'm sure i have seeds to spare.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I have....

Asclepias incarnata [pink MW]
Asclepias purpurascens [purple MW]
Asclepias curassavica [Scarlet MW]
Asclepias "Silky" [annual yellow blooms]
Asclepia tuberose [Butterfly Weed]

and a big baggy of NoID ... they could be "common" MW.

Oooo, I would love some of the Asclepias Purpurascens and Asclepias curassavica. Some silky might be good too if I am not being greedy! And You are a life saver again for me!!!

Huge THANK YOU!!!!!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

no problem... i have a lot of most of those. I'll get them out tomorrow.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>These sudden cold blasts are worrisome. I will go out and cover them this evening and hope for the best.

Kathy -- i know what you mean. We are also expecting about 5 days of really cold [below freezing at night]
snow [Ugggggggg] and cold days, below 40

looks like Next Friday or Saturday will be decent.

I'm very tempted to toss a blanket over my containers... but i'm going to leave them all. I took two lil nursery pots and put them in my unheated sun room, only because they are not 'covered' and they have been very wet lately -- and i want them to dry out. but all else is on their own.

New Milford, CT

OK, so foxglove, strawflower & datura yesterday, and zinnias and 4 o'clocks today. Wheeeee! The weather here in western CT has been pretty cooperative in terms of sunny day followed by rain, sunny, rain, for about the last week.

I'm supposed to be helping DH build a deck, but I kept wandering over to my jugs and getting distracted ...

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

I am still torn on the whole cover not cover thing. Part of me wants to cover them but they do have the jug top over them so they are sort of covered. Part of me wants to go all of the way with this and see what happens by leaving them on their own. Of course I blew the leaving them on their own thing by watering them LOL. They got very dry. We have not gotten enough rain and that hole at the top of the jugs is sooo small.
I am sitting on the fence with the cover. Eventually I will make a decision.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Watering them will help keep them from suffering from the freeze. I had to start watering mine as our dry climate between deluges is just too hard on many things I will be growing.

I did discard covers on Linnaria and blue flax, but they get under the cloth when it dips below 30, as do most things sprouted. Largely because it is easier to just cover the whole crowd than sort them as to who really needs it and who might not, LOL!

Kathy, keep us posted about your decision and how it goes, works or does not work, okay? This fine tuning stuff is real useful.

Kyla

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

kathy -- i too have been watering the ones that were dry. We've had a lot of rain this spring but some of hte smaller containers - or if they get more sun, have been drying out.

Snow also insulates... so if we were getting subfreezing temps with no snow... i may cover them, but they are out there on their own.

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

If it will help I will let you know. I really think I am leaning towards letting them be on their own. That was part of the reason for WS. If I have to cover and uncover and pamper and bring in house, then I am no better off than if I started the seed in the house as in past years.
I am playing this one through so I know what and how to plant next year. So far WS has been so cool! Thank you all for the encouragement.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Great! And yes, it will help if you post results.

I am pleased to announce the birth of
Mixed Clarkia
White Liatris
Sahin's Early Helenium
Rudbeckia Cherry Brandy
Echinacea Paradiso
Lythrum salicaria
and
2 more of Seedsower's Daylily crosses!

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Congratulations, Jim! Will you be handing out cigars?

I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to smoke, so, maybe "Mini-Tootsie Rolls"!

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

I love tootsie rolls!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh YUM... i love tootsie rolls. and the lil ones are great. 1 bite.

congrats Jim on your new seedligns. I have yet to check today... the lil bit of snow we got last night is melting... but i'm just chilled to the bones, so i dont wanna go outside.

May sow some more seeds today though... what else is there to do on a cold gloomy day?

Congratulations!!

I did my Dill seeds today...for something to do.

What I am wondering is why most of what has come up so far is stuff I sowed more recently, while most of the seeds I sowed early on are still not showing any life!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Jim, I think that has to do somewhat with the species sown, I've got all but a couple of things on your list of sprouted containers, and they are up too- some sown earlier, some later. Most of my containers that haven't sprouted were sown earlier in the winter too.

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

It got down to 24F here last night. Sproutlets are green and pretty and do not seem to have suffered a bit. I did not cover them at all. I admit that if I had tomatoes sprouted, I probably would have covered them but they were more recently planted and have not sprouted, yet.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

It was about 60 degrees here yesterday, but supposed to be in the 20s tonight and tomorrow night. I just stuck a few jugs of tender sprouts in the garage for overnight. The hardy stuff is out there with no protection. The jugs aren't even taped anymore but I expect those to be fine.

I just sowed some of the tenders a few weeks ago but have a few sprouts of marigold, cosmos, baby's breath- just a few. Sill have some tender annuals to sow. Maybe this week.

Jim you could send us all a Godiva chocolate cigar... I'm rather partial to those.
Did any more of your double rudbeckias sprout?

Karen

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

oh, yes that chocolate cigar wopuld beat out the tootsie roll!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I am looking for a few seeds if anyone has a few extra to trade for named daylily seeds or other plants.
LMK

White marigolds
Small red sunflowers
Italian sunflowers
BLk eyed susan vine
purple wave or the new type petunia
impatients
coleus
alyssum
I know this isn't the trade forum but I thought you guys might have some extra. I didn't get any response from the other forum.

Teresa in KY

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

If I had any of what you are looking for I would surely do some trading.
Good Luck. Maybe someone will have what you want.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Kathy
Hopefully, someone will have a few to send.

Cumberland Mtns, TN(Zone 6b)

Bluegrass....not me. sorry. I wish I had those seeds too =)

Potagere..

i'm in the same cover or not to cover dilema.

I have about 15 jugs that have plants as high as 3"- 4" that have not been uncovered at night. It's snowing now and expected to be 28 tonight. it was almost 80 here yesterday!!!! the ground is very wet but theres no accumulation yet.
my dad says put a blanket over them but what if the blanket gets wet?

I don't have anything you are looking for either...

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Teresa, I'm pretty sure I still have plenty of Italian White Sunflower seeds. Dmail me if you like some :-)

I have mexican sunflower seeds.
Tithonia-Torch the pack says.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

My chrysanthemums "Snow Lady" sproutlets look a little battered but no worse for wear after three snowstorms and very low temps over the last two weeks. It was 18 degrees night before last, and the wind chill must have been below zero (60 mph gusts!). I put my one WS container in a heavy pot just to keep it from blowing away. When I took it out today here's what they looked like. I am thrilled! They're going to replace all the plants I lost to late freezes...a lot!

Thumbnail by revclaus
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

tonight i WS'ed a few containers [5 total] of Scarlet and Silky Gold Milkweeds, 2 pots of Rosemary and a Butterfly Mix.

I did 8 diff kinds of peppers yesterday. I didn't save any seeds so this is it! but, i'm going to sow my tomatoes inside in front of my uncle's basement sliding doors. haven't decided about herbs yet, but I have a lot of herb seeds.

bfn

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Tsc1366, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has waited a long time for columbines to sprout. Still waiting................

Karen

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Nuts Karen.... last year i was gone a lot ... so i'm thinking though that i finally had germination in around June.
I'd have to check my [lousy] notes from last year to see if i had anything by Memorial Day. I honestly can not recall.
they got planted out in Sept.

Terese

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow! That is a long time! Well, I didn't expect any bloom on those the first year, anyhow.

Karen

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Correct. Second year bloomers... so i am hoping for something this year. I'm hoping by May i see some growth.... i planted them in Wisc at our trailer.... we have a lot of shade up there.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Some of my WS babies were big enough to transplant into some 4" pots and have found new homes via the round up we had over the weekend. I had red & pink salvia coccinea and blanket flowers ready to go. These were just started in February!

I have all but 4 of my jugs with at least one sprout. The least success rate I've had (other than the ones with 0 sprouts) is with purple coneflower. I sowed 2 jugs, one only has 1 sprout so far and the other jug has 3 sprouts.

My dill was planted about a month ago and it's already about 4" tall!!

I'm sold on winter sowing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.