Photo by Melody

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 150 - What is with this Weather???

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 277, Views: 2,682
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6367076

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/967156/

Noooooo, It doesn't look like that yet...But it's about to... ;-)

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6367138

Good Morning All...52* and sunshine so far today...but I am sure not liking the forecast for tomorrow...Low of 28* and Snow???

These poor plants are going to bite the dust for sure...The Stella deOro lilies are up a good 10 inches or better...all of my bulbs are up and ready to bloom...my dogwoods are budded out, and the weeping cherry is about to pop and so is the redbud...My roses are leafed out so much now that they are shooting branches...Thankfully they are still in the pots, and can be put back in the garage...When I went to Lowes for that endcap for the pond drain, they were already sold out of both the dormant and the 1 gal roses...Not a single one left...well there was one but it was broken down near the crown...Cindy said I could have it for $5 but I knew it would get diseased and die eventually anyway, and I couldn't spare the money for a half dead plant...

Hopefully this will be the last of this insane yo-yo weather and we can get serious about getting some gardening done...I have a ton of seeds to get planted, and by the moon phase, tomorrow is the day to do it, but not if it is 28* and snowing...I need to check the Peace rose and see if it is leafing yet, and if so, I will need to drop a bin over it tomorrow...

((((((((((((((Bons)))))))))))))

(((((Marcy))))) Great news about Hunky Dave, and will soon be for Brother Dave...My StepFather had the same surgery, and survived another 18 years after it...I will keep him in my prayers...

Cookie was just here, and we both agreed that alot of my plants are going to get hit bad if we get a sustained freeze...but there is just no way to cover them all...I'm glad my MG seeds got away from me before I could get them planted outside...I put them in the little peat pots in my tray, and every one of them are up about 6 inches in the bay window, and all but 2 of the Moonflower are up...My Castor beans haven't shown up yet tho...I had intended to put them out to harden off a bit and plant them this weekend, but they have to wait now...They can go on the porch today with the lilies, but I will bring them back in tonight... :-((
Gonna move some dirt today and get my rocks shoveled in by the garage door...We got the new overflow pond drain finished up yesterday, and Bro brought some nice tiny pea gravel over to put in the trench, so it's all done and wrapped in weed cloth so the dirt wont get into the holes in the pipe...In the event we get some hefty rains, I won't have to worry about the pond overflowing and the fish swimming out in the pasture...

You all have a wonderful day !!! I'm gonna go play in the yard while I can...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #6367235

Hey Dusty... if you end up with any extra moonflower seedlings may I have one?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6367300

Back from church, working on cooking some dinner.

Thanks everybody for your gentle hugs, this is driving me crazy. One day I feel pretty good, and then bam, it hits and every joint in my body is aching, and then there is the deep muscle pain. It can literally put me down in just a half hour.

It is beautiful here today too, and I hope to be able to get out and get some things done before that wretched weather gets here. I have many oriental lilies that are just up, and I will be collecting pots to put over them, and then some of the roses, and bigger things will be getting sheets. Aarg, I hate that our weather fools us just about every year.

Darius good that the ss got all straightened out, and you put the money to good use.

Goshsmom, sounds like the wedding went well, and you were able to offer a listening ear, sometimes that is all folks need, just get off their chests.

Sue, slow down. There will be plenty of time to do all that you have to do.

Ric, looking good on the redo. I don't worry about the weed eater, DH uses it, and I let him choose the brand and the type. I guess if I am ever by myself, I will need to pour concrete around my flower beds and not worry about mowing and weed eating.

Thanks Neal for the hugs.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6367353

Good morning all!
Well it isn't even out of the 30's here yet???? Yeah..we got sunshine...and WIND! Geesh! I can't work outside like that. I am a wusssss!!!
I need HEAT!! And calm air...lol!
Had a really good time with my brothers and SIL yesterday. We ate at Olive Garden..and it was great! Having leftovers for lunch today! We all shared a bottle of wine too.
Big brother Dave said this; The tumor is out already. They did that earlier without an incision...ouch! But...it had invaded the tissue of the bladder, so it must come out. They will only take the prostate and lymph glands if neccessary. He seemed in good spirits..and has an optimistic outlook for the future...so that's a good thing! To me...half the battle is in your brain!
Dusty..that pic of the pond...is that the same one you are working on now? If so...wow...it's a beauty!
I don't think I will ever catch up this year? There is so much to do out there...and the weather is just not cooperating !
Bonnie, I sure hope you can find some relief from the pain..whatever it is. ((((((Bonnie))))).
I haven't even planted my Castor bean seeds yet either! I usually soak mine until I see a sprout coming...and then plant. They come up really fast that way.
Well..not sure what is happening here today.? Depends on the weather!
For the rest of you..with the NICE weather...have funnn!!!!! LOL! I will be thinking about you all.!!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6367360

Bonnie...check out Fibromyalgia ...on your pain.
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6367441

Bonnie, I second the idea of checking out Fibro. I have it and it sounds a lot like you described. My pain is deep pain and often it feels like I have bad bruises all over and it hurts to even touch the area. Mine is centered mostly in my shoulders , neck and back. I have "flare-ups" that come suddenly, and stay for as long a month or six weeks. They never go away as quickly as they come. There are some new meds out now for the treatment and more doctors are aware of it and can diagnose it. Ten years ago, the docs said it was " mind produced" pain. Sorta like saying it was all in the head. (Yeh, doc, that's why it hurts to touch my sore neck!) It can over power your life quickly. That's why I think you should have it checked out. Hope your feel better today. Lurker Lou
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #6367471

Marcy I'm out in shorts and sandals! lol!
Mucking out the ponds...

Ric
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6367490

Gee thanks Ric! I got a turtleneck AND a sweatshirt on...lol!! What's that tell ya???
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #6367527

You betcha Darius...It looks like I have 5 that are going real good...I will pot one up for ya...

That pic is one that Cookie took last Spring Marcy, and yes that's my pond...Poor thing sure doesn't look like that at the moment with almost every rock pulled or carted off over to Cookies new pond...But I beat back the evil Leaky Pond Monster !!! LOL...Taint leakin no mo...I've lost about 1/2 inch of water in a week, and that's natural evaporation with the waterfall running...The dern frost heaves drove some of the monster rocks down into the ground, taking the liner with them causing most of the leaks, but the main one was the waterfall pipe had frozen at the joint and was leaking like an Artesian well...The pond was holding water pretty good until we started the pump and filter up, then all holy heck busted loose with the leaks...It's been a real trip trying to find them all...

That is really great news about your brother...and you are absolutely right about **Attitude**...My Bro Paulie was depressed and bemoaning his fate at losing his leg until he saw one of the guys at the VA that hit a land mine in Nam...No legs and no arms...He has 2 moveable clasping hooks, and 2 full prosthetic legs, as well as a set of **Running legs** and he runs marathon races, and drives a herkin big F350 dually wheel dually cab pickem up...He is one bad dood...Paulie shut his mouth and said he would never complain again...Now he has attitude too...He is determined to get out of his chair and walk as soon as they get his prosthetic leg made...I am sooo proud of him...We talk about once a week, sometimes more if his PTSD flares up and he needs me...He is always so upbeat now, and sure makes my heart happy...

I was sorta thinking the same thing about the fibro Marcy, but I sure hope you are wrong...I do know that Jules RSD knocks her to her knees when there is a barometer rise or drop...I sure do hate to hear of anybody in that kind of pain, much less those we care about...

Well, I have a balmy 60.1* here now so I am back off to the yard while I can be...Later y'all...and I'm in jeans and a turtleneck...no shorts for this old woman...LOL

Edited to say 1/2 INCH of water...LOL

This message was edited Apr 5, 2009 4:36 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6367636

LOL, I started out in a sweatshirt and jeans... now down to a sleeveless tee and jeans. Hard to believe we will have snow tonight! I'm staking where I want my fruit trees/shrubs to go, don't think I have enough stakes. Digging dandelions as I go...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #6368167

Bonnie, I must chime in with the others and suggest you look into info bon fibromyalgia. My doctor diagnosed me with that after the wreck and it sounds so similar to what you describe. My doctor said that people with fibro feel pain more intensely, like the volume control's out of whack. It can also make it harder for you to heal up from sprains, strains, and other injuries.

I've not been posting much as I am still in a lot of pain. It is manageable with the percocet if I take it round the clock, just pretty dicey in the hour where it wears off and the next dose isn't kicking in. I know the fibro complicates matters as I have a lot of muscle spasms going on even with the muscle relaxer.

It still hurts from throat to deep into my chest when I swallow, something I've now learned is common, along with a lot of belching as gas/air get caught in my esophagus with swallowing. I really hope those issues go away. I'm still hoarse, too. This is definitely not easier than the shoulder surgery was, probably since the shoulder itself is not healed yet and I've had to discontinue the anti-inflammatories that relieved it.

The biggest annoyance is I can't stretch my neck muscles since I am not allowed to tip my head chin-to-chest or look up towared the ceiling, and those are the stretches I would so like to do for some relief.

It was good to get out for that hour yesterday, though, and today I'm sitting outside while it's nice out. Howie's gone to a hockey game with his brothers.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #6368201

Kimberly, can you take OTC magnesium? I have fewer muscle spasms since I started taking it.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6368239

I will have to ask about that. Some minerals can affect bleeding as well as the bone grafting. I'll put that on my list of questions for the doctor and his assistant.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #6368268

Just stopping by for a few minutes...

So sorry to hear that you gals are still not feeling up to par. Hopefully, you will start feeling better soon.

Guess I timed my trip home right this week and leaving the day before the thunderstorms, and definately getting back here before that "winter" weather moves in! Most of my fruit trees and ornamental plants were looking really good, so not surprised that Mother Nature is throwing this at us. Sure is hard to garden these days, not knowing when winter is actually going to be over! Even down here near the Northeast corner of Texas (zone 8) it's suppose to get down to 35* tonite and 29* tomorrow nite.

Well, been stalling long enough...time to run to the car wash. Take care, Everyone, and enjoy the sunshine!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2009
10:48 PM

Post #6369019

I am hoping most of you are not in the tornado area right now. T&P for those of you that are .
LOL Robin yeah T makes me shower when we go places LOL
BOnnie i hope they find out what is wrong with you soon. I hate to see you like this ?
My Gh is done , got it sealed up . just need to vent it with a window ( will just cut one out and tape)
it is a BUDGET GH. !!! used Gorilla tape , can't afford batton tape . Wish it was in the budget. :(
but it will do for right now. :) life is good for us ,even with a low budget GH that looks like a drunk duct taped it . HA LOL
Hey Bad i missed you. I bet that baby is a feeder ! . Got any new pics of him ? congrats on the job !!!! i hope Craig heres good news soon on his interview. T&P for you guys :)
my calla lilys are still in my fridge in paper bags wrapped up , good thing i did plant them out yet with this snow coming ?
I have to get new pot soil and some containers to put them in
Ric darn we could do lunch ! We have to go to a mall to Willian Sonoma. The pot has a funny look to it ? like the nonstick part of it came off ? so it has a greyish hue to it ? weird cuz its a Calphalon brand . So we just need a new pot . We are hoping they just do a return for us. I have used Calphalon for 20 yrs so i m familiar with the brand and have never seen this ?
ok enough babbling
kids neeed a bath and i need a drink LOL
hugs and kisses to you all
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #6369151

here are my spuds
german butterball

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #6369158

here is LaRatte Fingerling

Thumbnail by taynors

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6369428

WHOOOOHOOOOO, My son called me and was on 469 coming around Ft Wayne and headed to Wapokeneta to grab I-75 southbound to here!!
My jubilation is...he has my little birthday Grandson with him!!!
They won't be able to stay long as they have to get on home to GA so son and eldest Grandson can go to work tomorrow, but at least they can stop for a few and get something to eat...I am so excited I could pop!! I just love that lil guy to pieces...Already changed the Batteries in my camera so I can get some pics of him...LOL

I didn't get done all that I wanted to outside, but I got the rose arbor moved and now in place, the rest of my messes cleaned up, and some of the dirt moved...Did a little work on the waterfall, and then my back said it had enough for the day...I came in and sat on my heating pad for a bit, then put the new belts on the Vac, and ran that, and now I have, for sure, had enough for the day...;-P
Temps dropped from 68* to 56* in the last 2 hours...Still can't believe it is going to drop 40* in the next few hours...Well, I guess I can, but I don't want to...LOL Everything here is so beautiful and fresh clean green...I just dread the thoughts of any of it getting frozen...I have one little blossom on a bulb that should be open tomorrow, and I am going to go snatch it...Cookie found the other Bleeding Heart this morning, and I am going to put a bin over them...Hopefully I can save them...The roses are back in the garage already, and I emptied a bag of mulch over my bulbs that were barely up...I have done all I can to help save them...

My boys got here about 6pm...and left about 7:30 , just as it started to rain...They still have another 6 hours to go to get home...but we had a nice hours break with them...It was soooo good to get hugs and kisses from all of them...and I called Cookie to come over as my son wanted to see his Aunt Cookie again, and she had never seen my little Monkey, CJ...

We have thunder and lightening and a good heavy rain coming down, but not a downpour yet, and we are now under tornado watch til 1 am...
I won't be going to bed until the boys call me to let me know they are home okay...Yep...I'm still the Mom, and I still worry...

This is my youngest Son, Aaron, and his Son CJ, my youngest Grandchild and born on my birthday... ;-))

Thumbnail by DustyDS

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #6369519

Hi folks... we were without power for several hours, it just came back on 15 minutes ago. Soooo, I got lots of holes dug (with help from Buster's son Brent) for my seedling trees, shrubs and pea trellis/fence, and even some weeding done. I swear creeping charlie always gets ahead of me, and I can never seem to eradicate it!

Found maybe something good, though... we got the top off the spring box, and the submersible pump is still in there (as I suspected all along, but no one believed me). Of course, it's down deep in the box (and stuck in the built-up mud) so we couldn't pull it up to get a look at it. Couldn't really keep our arms in the icy water long either. Brrrr. The pressure tank is still in the root cellar although there's no power run out there anymore. Also don't know if the water intake line is intact to the spring box. But it looks like doing some clean-out of the spring box, some new wiring (from the house) and some plumbing, I should be able to water the garden(s) with spring water! Town water has gone up a LOT in price this year, and it has too much chlorine to suit me anyway.

I had intended to buy a pump this year to drop in the creek for watering, even though I think the sediment would not be good for a pump. Now I can put that money towards setting up the spring to use. I'd like to run it off solar power; maybe next year I can buy a solar panel and a storage battery. I don't know how long it has been since they forced people to hook up to city water here, but the pressure tank doesn't look old. The booklet for the submersible pump is still in the root cellar, too.

I'm bushed, and all my bones and muscles hurt but it was a GOOD day! However, I can't soak in the tub yet, not enough hot water after I did dishes. The tank doesn't keep water very hot when the power is off several hours.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6369535

Good for you, Dusty! Seeing folks you love is always fun. :-)

You reminded me that I need to find some tubs for tomorrow night. I have a few hostas poking up and they will turn to mush, same for 2-3 other things. The rest will have to tough it out...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6369640

Hey Darius... Good job on your finds...If you have a live spring there, I would be finding a way to run that puppy to my house, much less water the gardens...Nothing better than icy cold fresh spring water...Yummmy!!

Yeah, I raided my thankfully empty bins from the garage and covered what I could...buried what I could, and will pray for the best for the rest...
I guess that is all we can do for now...

Seeing my boys always makes my heart sing...My eldest Grandson, Andrew, is special to me also...I delivered him, and he is my daughters first born...I delivered her first, third and 5th babies...Missed #2 because they were in AZ, and #4 because they were in MI...Everyone of them born in October except # 5, born on my Daddys B-day in February...

This is Andrew...not happy that Nana took his pic because he has acne...He is 17, and a brat, but he loves his Nana... ;-)) Yes, he has a broken wrist...same purple cast I had...same wrist...LOL...He went 4 wheeling, and someone else was driving...Hit a rock and dumped...He got a pretty nasty laceration just inside the arm by the bend of his elbow too...took 36 stitches by my count...He was lucky...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6369705

Hello everybody, hope that you are all safe from the tornado threats. Our county is under a tornado watch until 12.

Not much going on here today. Went to early church, and home for lunch, rested a bit then had to take DGD to meet her mother. Since she had brought her cat and we took her to the vet to be declawed, and she found 2 baby wild rabbits, it was like being a driver for a traveling zoo going home!!

Then home to piddle around and go out and look at all that is blooming. I picked a nice little bouquet to bring in the house, and the hyacinths are really perfuming the house. Got some viburnum, crab apple blooms, some willow branches and daffodils and hyacinth.

Dusty, glad you got a surprise visit from your family. A short visit, but that is better than none.

Darius, whoopee,you will have that spring up and running in no time at all. There was an article in our local paper a couple of weeks ago, about a couple who built their own windmills, that transferred it to a solar panel, which in turn was stored by batteries. They were completely self sufficient, and said the whole operation was less than $5,000. Wouldn't that be great to not have an electric bill each month.

Marcy sorry for your chilly weather today. I hate to tell you but the next several days are gonna be worse. I believe when we get past this, it will certainly be spring.

The colder weather is not going to be here until tomorrow night. I will have to round up enough buckets, and pots and whatever to cover many things. I am mostly concerned about my oriental lilies. They are just about 2" high, and will probably be the most susceptible to this cold.

Well, gonna go and check some other threads, and then I am off to bed. Nothing going on tomorrow, so hope that we get to sleep in a bit.

Chele, give Nolan a big hug and kiss, we are needing more pictures soon!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #6369901

Dusty, I would to have spring water in the house!

However, I don't know if we have enough volume from the spring (anymore) to run the house reliably. Last year was very dry here and the overflow became shallow, so that makes me wonder. I doubt we can get any equipment in to dig it out, either. The roof peak of the spring house is only about 3 feet above ground level around it; the spring sits in a very tight, narrow swale with poured concrete steps down to the spring house.

I had the water tested 2 years ago; it has some bacteria... e. coli, the kind we have in the human gut, NOT the strain that kills you, but Buster drinks from it and he's still with us. Didn't test for heavy metals, not enough sheckles available.

Bonnie, I have toyed with the idea of wind power. We get a pretty good breeze most of the time down our narrow valley.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
2:43 AM

Post #6370048

Hey all...it DID warm up here today..into the 60's...but it rained!!! Everytime we walked out the door...it started in! LOL! Guess we weren't supposed to work outside today.
Yeah..I know the cold weather is supposed to hit here too...but dont think it will hurt much...cause it wont last long. Famous last words...lol!!
Had a tornado WARNING one county over from us tonight...but guess nothing happened. Haven't heard anything. Still under a watch till 1 am.
Was just talking to some friends about the Xenia tornado in 1974. That was so awful. My dad worked for the local power company..DP&L. He was one of the first over there...and came home crying. I had never seen my dad cry. He could hardly even talk about it...but he went back..many times...to do repairs. Aww anyway...sorry.
Well...off to bed here. Calling dr about my eyes tomorrow..had enough.
Take care all.
Night
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2009
6:41 AM

Post #6370793

Well, I can highly recommend a 24 hour nap for its restorative powers. I'm still sore, but I'm not tired anymore.
Sue, good lookin' spuds!
Dusty, good lookin' offspring!
Darius, congratulations on getting anything straightened out with Soc Security. Sometimes I think it should be called Social Insecurity.
Here's a pic someone sent me from the wedding. Looks like I'm blessing the rings. Such a really sweet couple.
Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2009
6:48 AM

Post #6370799

BTW, the gorgeous orangey red flowers they had interspersed with the lilies at the Conservatory were clivias. Here's the Dave's link--
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2201/
Pat
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #6371238

Hope everyone make it through the night safe and sound!

Pat, beautiful picture of the wedding ceremony!

Darius, things sure look to be going your way these days. YEAH! That'd be great if you can (and I know you will) get that spring house up and running. You have the coolest place...I love it!

(((Dusty)), so glad you got to see the boys. They sure are a handsome bunch! There's a special bond when a child or grandchild is born on your birthday. Al's oldest daughter was born on his.

Not much planned here today. Took Al to work, so I could spend the afternoon scrubbing the Explorer inside and out, and then waxing it. Al's working on a cement plant, so with all that dust flying and the dust from the gravel road we live on, taking it to the car wash and using the sprayer doesn't do any good anymore.

Off to check some other threads...you all have a great day!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2009
12:55 PM

Post #6371359

Pat, nice photo! They are cute, and so are you. :) When I lived in Asheville, a friend had a huge clivia that she would bring up from the cool basement when it bloomed. It was stunning, probably had 30 flowers on it.

I have looked for one (unsuccessfully) for the last 2 years, as a thank you for the DG lady who gives me a place to sleep when I go see my doctors up in Charlottesville. Lowe's and HD used to have them once in a while in their houseplants' section but not around here. Several years ago White Flower Farm had the new (and gorgeous!) pure yellow one on their catalog cover; it was a mere $300.00!

It rained enough overnight that the creek is muddy, and the temps are already starting to drop. Howling winds awakened me about 5 am but it's calm right now. They have raised our forecast low by 2º for tonight and tomorrow night, but it will still get down to about 22º right here in my garden. I sure hope this is the last gasp of winter.

I have a friend who will take me to pick up some cattle panels today. They are 16' long, too long to carry them in my truck. The price has gone up 25% since I bought them the last time. Yuck.

I am appropriately stiff and sore this morning, and the weather probably won't let me work outside to limber up the kinks.

Off to get more coffee... Ta, ta
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6371662

Darius, a hot bath works wonders for achiness...worked wonders for my marathon planting and driving last week.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #6371729

Good Morning All...It's dropped from 52* at midnight to 35.6*...we had a nice steady soft rain until just before 2am...We needed the rain for sure...and it just started again about 8:30...Wellllll, It's official...It is snowing...I am sitting here looking out the bay window and seeing white flakes floating here and there...grrrrrrrrrrrr!!! It can't decide whether to rain or snow, so its doing both...rain for awhile, then a mix of light snow and then then some big flakes then rain again, then it quits...What a mess...

Darius, I concur with the stiff and sore...and yes, this weather sure isn't helping...
I am going to try and finish up in the guestroom today...I need to hang the curtain rod, and get the curtains up in there, and a few other things, then get it vacuumed, drag my sewing machine out of there and shut the door...LOL
When I was cleaning out the bins, I found my antique hobnail lamp that I need to rebuild, so I think that is going to be my second project for the day...

I'm off to the basement to hunt my craft paints...
I hope everyone has a good day, despite this rotten weather...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2009
2:26 PM

Post #6371767

LOL, Robin... a very old, slow-recovery (and single heating element) 30 gal. water heater and 3 adults doesn't make for enough hot water to soak! Sure sounds lovely, though... One of these months I'm going to treat myself to a day at a spa.

I've been on the phone trying to locate a sod cutter to rent. None within 50 miles. One fellow down at the state line used to rent one but he said it usually just sat unused, not enough demand, so he sold it to the city. Sure would make my garden expansion into the lawn easier.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6371865

Bonnie - My Rhumatologist (sp?) figures I have had Fibromyalgia since I was about 18. I agree that might be what you have going on. Since I now have RSD, though, it has completely overtaken the Fibro to the point I don't even think about the fibro anymore. RSD is like Fibro x 100. My doc once told me that Fibro is like arthritis of the muscles, and RSD is like that to the nerves. I don't know about that, but its a darn shame that anyone has to have either one.

One thing it sounds like it could be, to me, is Lyme. There are a few people on my RSD board that tested positive for Lyme. They keep trying to make a link between RSD and Lyme -- but there are far more of us that have never had Lyme to make a connection. But in hearing them talk, it sounds pretty painful, and comes and goes. It doesn't seem as connected to barometric pressure.

I went to my friend Curt's in Cleveland yesterday. I didn't feel like it - but needed a day away. I went to set up his computer for him so that he could have paypal going for when he gets his new website up. He is the one that breeds hellebores. Wow, did I ever see some beautiful ones. He just got back from a 6 week trip out west, and went to a breeder's out in Washington. He brought back some seedlings from there to add to his program. They were different, but I didn't really like them. They were doubles - they almost looked like little peony blooms. Funny you all should mention clivia... he had a huge one blooming. I liked it a lot, and he had about 20 smaller pots started. He gave me one to bring home to give to my Mom. She really liked it! Now I have to look up how to take care of one. It's in just plain dirt, and it was so hard it was like cement. He said it needed repotted. It was just blooming for the first time.

I am sorry I didn't think -- I could have brought back hellebores for anyone who wanted them. He still has a lot of them. He's thinking of doing them mail order. He loves breeding them, but hates just composting the ones he doesn't keep. He said he keeps about 10 out of 500. He's like that with the daylilies too... very selective.

Well, it's awful -- but I think I am going back to bed for a while. Turn on the bed warmer pad and try to get warm. We don't keep our house warm - usually 60-62...we heat with propane and it is to expensive for us to keep it warmer - and days like this when I am worse because of the low barometer... being warm helps. I'll get up in an hour and take a hot shower with the shower massager and then get ready for work. I am SO very thankful that I still have a job to go to!

I hope this economy starts to turn around ...!!!! But, I think it's going to be a while before we see any improvement.

Well, it just started to snow here. Dusty -- hate to tell you this - but this IS spring in Ohio.

Hugs to everyone!
Jules
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6372316

Jules, thanks for your explanation of Fibro, and on the Lymes. I am hoping to get some test results sometime this week. I am leaning more towards Fibro. The last bout I had with it was a long one,at that time they couldn't find anything, so I am hoping that I can at least get a diagnosis, and hopefully some help in dealing with it. I don't want to rely on pain pills, but there are days when there is no choice.

It rained last night, and the wind howled. We were under a tornado watch, but nothing came of that thank goodness. It is very chilly outside, and I will be going out to cover my oriental lilies in anticipation of really cold temps tonight. I am hoping that after this cold spell, it will finally be spring, and we won't have to worry about covering anything again.

Off to finish up some paperwork.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6372357

Good afternoon all. Well..it's snowing here! YUK!!! Crazy Ohio weather!!
I have a call into the drs office. Can't believe what I am going through with them. The nurse called with some questions, after I gave the info to the receptionist. First the nurse said..he wants you to see your eye dr. Well.. i was just there a week and a half ago...and he said the antibiotic i was on for the sinus infection should take care of the eye problem. It didn't. Told the nurse that. So now she had to give more info to the dr...and will call me back a second time. I don't know what you have to do to get in to actually SEE the dr?????? Guess you have to be dying maybe???? Can you tell I am PO'd????? Oh..and the eye dr is only in two days a week i think...so fat chance of seeing him either! GRRRRRRRRR!!!
Ok...Waiting...waiting...waitinggggggg...!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6372708

Update: Drs office said to see eye dr. Told nurse eye dr in not in today. She said..calll them..if u cant get in...call me back..and I will call them!! Hellooooo??? If there is NO eye dr there...what good will that do?????
I made an appt with eye dr for tomorrow. Figured the dr didnt want to see me, cause he didnt know that much about eyes...and I've waited this long...what's one more day????
Ok...done ranting now.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #6372787

Marcy, sorry you're having such a time with that eye. :O(

I survived yesterday. Boy did I sleep good. I decided to move the mulch, pull the weeds and it took all day to do less than half the row and geez was I sore by the end. If I hadn't been exercising I know I would have been much worse. I moved my Hollyhock to that bed and tucked it in with mulch before I quit for the night. It was too big for the place it was at especially since we transplanted the big Crimson Queen JM there.

Today I am in a Landsend turtleneck and jeans. Yesterday I was in a spaghetti strap top, shorts and sandals. Mother Nature is definitely going through the change.

I took Dad to his Ortho appt this morning. They did a second x-ray on him and it was inconclusive. He said there is some arthritis in the knee, but it isn't bone on bone so there is a possibility it is a torn miniscus. The only way to tell is with an MRI, so he will be getting one and then going back. We had lunch at Arby's and stopped at Burkhardts to get some seeds. I got some sugarsnap peas and some wando peas. Dad wanted "How Sweet It Is" corn, but they aren't carrying it this year. So we both decided to wait to see if we could get it somewhere else.

I got notification that they are going to start paying the extra $25 on my Unemployment including back pay to the week after the bill was signed in February. That will be good.

Still selling caramels for flower money. I know it will go in one stop for annuals. I do have a few dollars left on my gift card to Berns that I got for Christmas, so that will be used as well. I'm pleased to say that it looks like all my bushes have made the transplant okay. I'm real happy about that. I was worried with the move and then the fridged winter temps.

Hope everyone is staying warm.

♥♥♥
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #6372890

Thanks Joyce. It's actually both eyes now. And guess what? The drs office just called me back...AGAIN...and said...the dr has called in an Rx...in case you can't get into the eye dr today...LOL!! SOOOOO...I will go get the Rx...and take it with me tomorrow to the eye dr...so he can tell me I have conjunctivitis and to continue with the Rx the dr gave me...hahaahaa!!!!!! Too much!!
Joyce...sounds like you got a lot done yesterday. Dave just went out and put my plants that were sitting outside..in the barn. Had a couple of perennials and some pansies sitting out there. They probably would have been ok...but...cant hurt to put them in.
Ok...off to wally AGAIN...for the Rx.!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6374967

Good evening, been a pretty slow day today. I paid some bills and balanced some check books, had phone calls, and some neighbors stop by. Then cooked supper. Had to go out and I covered all the orienal and asiatic lilies, as they are up about 3-4- inches, and they would have been toast.

Marcy sorry that you are having so much trouble with your eyes. Hope that you can get some answers soon, and get it all under control.

Weather has been rainy and overcast all day, the winds light but chilly.

Hope that when this cold spell is over it will be the last of winter, and we can get on with the spring cleanup and planting.

~~~to everybody, and hope that it doesn't get too cold tonight.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #6375141

hey gang
just a quicky today
i m pooped !
went to my class and it kicked my tushy
100 push ups
300 lunges
200 abs
then cardio !! for 45 min uhg
so to all i will say good night .
many pleasant dreams
hugs
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6375259

Sue, how are the kids doing? Are they feeling better, and any improvements ie the furnace filters doing the job? You are one brave lady, I could never do the physical exercise, especially now. Maybe, and I hope in the near future, I can get back into a walking program. However right now, my feet and ankles are giving me grief, and it is just too tough to get around inside.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #6375624

Gads, Bonnie... I guess my lillies will be toast! They are up about as tall as yours; I never thought about them, just used some plastic buckets to cover the hostas which turn to mush if they freeze. Everything else, well... not enough blankets and I wouldn't use them anyway. With the rain and wet snow, they'd get soaked and later freeze onto the plants. Yuck.

Richard, my egg man, brought me 3 buffalo currant starts when we met up today. They are not a true currant, although often called a clove currant as well as buffalo currant. He says his kids love them right off the bush. Guess I need to dig more holes!

I got chilled while out in this slop meeting Richard, and even with a fire going, I can't seem to get warm. I think I'll go get under the covers!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2009
11:45 AM

Post #6376549

Well, at 10:00 last night I decided that I needed to cover most of my Japanese Maples. The wind was something else! I did the best I could, but this morning there are only 3 of them covered. (I think). But there is no frost on the windshields of the vehicles, so maybe that is to be a good thing.

Exercise class later this morning so I'm off to check in a couple other places.

Hope you're all feeling better today.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #6376745

Sue, way to go with your class! Housemate and I are starting an exercise program today, and then the four of us are checking out a gym to join tonite. All that exercise will be kicking my behind, too!

Darius, I'm sure looking forward to seeing your yard again, after all this planting you're doing! Sounds like by the time you get done planting fruit trees and bushes and enlarging the vegetable garden, that you aren't going to have much mowing area left. That ain't all bad, though!

(((Bonnie))), sure hope you get better soon!

Joyce, I think the wind has a lot to do why I don't lose more plants to frost up on our hilltop. It takes a hard freeze to really do much damage to my plants. Even my Hostas that do turn to mush, just keep sending up lots of new leaves. However, my 2 baby Japanese Maples may be another story. They were leafed out pretty good last week when I was back home.

Hoping for sunny skys up there!

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #6376783

Well, our more tender plants will just have to die, because Howie's already doing so much around here and I wouldn't ask him to go cover up a bunch of plants, too. We'll just have to see how everything fared. Several of the hosta are in protected areas and alongside our brick home's foundation, so they should be okay. I don't know how the tulips will do, but that's life I guess.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #6376817

GW, you won't know how to act or what to do with yourself, when you recover from all this surgery!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #6376850

Yeah, I know! I feel so bad for him doing so much around here. He's such a good guy and deals with his own pain still, especially his knees. We definitely need to segue more into low-maintenance gardening. We've thought about letting areas go back to grass, but that pains me to imagine. :S
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #6376881

Well, when you're back feeling up to it, a good weedblocker and thick mulch along with hardy perrennials will give you the best of both worlds...low maintance and pretty flowers!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6377098

Good Morning All...31* here now...only got to 29...That wind last night was gusting over 30 mph, with sustained between 15 and 20 mph...It broke a branch in the river birch I had one of my bird houses hanging on... :-(
I put my pansies in a tray and put them in the garage last night too when I took out the trash...They were sopping wet from the rain, and I figured that would freeze on them...It is supposed to be in the high 50's tomorrow, so we shall see if this is the end of it...I sure hope so...but right at the moment, it is snowing hard and sticking...;-((
The blizzard of Easter in April 1961 comes to mind... :-P

I didn't do much but putz around yesterday...I found my gold craft paints finally and 1 of my brushes I was looking for...Folded all of my clean curtains that I am keeping but not using, and got them put away in the chest...Took my antique hobnail lamp apart, and got it all cleaned up and ready to paint and put back together...

Today, I will get all of the things packed for the SA...Jims lab appt is Thursday morning so I can load them in the car tomorrow night and drop them off when we go, and that will get another pile of cwap by the door gone...There is more out in the garage to go too...but that's for another day...

Kimberley, I know the feeling of losing plants...There are so many here that I am afraid are going to get bit bad from this...and that makes me sad...The little Carolina Wren female is sitting under the *roof* of the big feeder huddled against the wall...It's even affecting the birds...

You all have a good day...and stay warm...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6377180

Hi everyone.
Well...most of my plants look ok. Not sure how low the temps got here last night?
But I didn't see any frost this morning...just COLD.
I really think most of the plants will recover ok...since this cold shouldn't be prolonged...uhhh..famous last words?? I didn't say them..the weatherman did...lol!!
The eye drops seem to be helping ...but I will keep my appt with the eye dr today.
I have to go at 12:15...and it shouldn't take long. Then I am coming home and bake banana bread I think!
One of the ladies in my homemaker's club is in ICU this morning. Not sure if I told you all about her having breast cancer? Anyway...she had a mammogram last Sept...and everything was fine. By February...the lump was so large...they are giving her chemo to shrink it before doing surgery. She ended up in emergency on Sunday night...why..I don't know for sure? The other friend who called me this morning said it may be the experimental drug they are using...she wasn;t sure. It doesn't sound too good to me though. She is only in her early 50's...and one of the nicest people you would ever meet.
Her name is Barb Rice. Please keep her in your prayers and thoughts.
She loves growing flowers too.
Well..not much else going on here. I am thinking about going upstairs and getting on my treadmill this afternoon. I think I have progressed enough that I can do that now. And heaven knows I need to!!! Only 1/2 mile to start though.
Oh...and I rarely ever try to cover outside plants...mainly because the covers just blow off anyway!! Whatever makes it...makes it! And most things that get hit, will recover anyway..just a little later.
Take care and have a warm day!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6377221

Don't think we had any frost last night, but just looked out and it is snowing sideways. Just a flurry, and I am sure that it will be short lived.

Doing laundry today, and anything else that hops in my path, not seeking anything out, will have to stumble over it.

Have a pizza pan full of meatballs in the oven. I make a bit batch and freeze them. I will use some of them tonight, the rest will be frozen for later use.

That's all that is going on here right now.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6377233

Save a piece of that banana bread for me!!!!!!
On the other hand I have to go uncover my plants,got down to 24* here no frost just bitter cold.
Marcia you have to but rocks on the edge of the blankets to keep them in place so the wind doesn't blow them off!!!LOL
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6377360

LOL Don! Ok..I'll save you some!
What are rocks???? LOL!
Sounds like you were lucky out there..with the temps. I looked yesterday, and it said you were to get down to 18*??
I thought then...wow thats awfully low for you this time of year! But then...the weather is screwy all over now!
Bonnie...just take it easy...and don't try to do too much. It will wait on you...believe me..I know!! (((((Bonnie))))

Edited to say...and I need my blankets on ME!!!!!

This message was edited Apr 7, 2009 11:13 AM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #6377500

Good Morning...

It only got down to 28º here overnight, but tonight is forecast to be colder. It's 33º right now, the high for the day, and light snow is blowing sideways. I about froze my hands off tying the cattle panels on Mike's trailer for transport earlier because I forgot my gloves. But, they are here now and I wish it wasn't so windy... I'd try to get one or two set up today.

I need to bundle up again and go check some plants. My hops had emerged and grown to about 10", never thought if it should be covered. I guess the peonies are toast? Or will be after one more cold night...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6377866

Ok..I'm back home. I can't believe this. That eye dr didn't even look at my eyes! He came into the waiting room, and said...why are you here? I told him my family dr told me to come back to him, to make sure I had conjunctivitis...and to make sure the meds he prescribed were ok with him. He looked at the meds...and said..well yeah...this will work. Nothing more I can do about it! Honestly!! Wouldn't you think ONE of those drs would have wanted to make sure that is what I have????????? Anybody see why I don't like drs?????? Geez!
I know I won't be going back to that eye dr...don't care if he is the only one on my insurance in this area. I will go to Dayton!! As for the MD...not happy with him either, but no others around here I would care to go to either. I think it's called between a rock and a hard place!
Yeah, Darius, it was snowing all the way to Greenville and back when I was out. Snowing hard too! Makes me mad to waste gas like that, and my time!
Ok...enough griping...lol.
Going to go make my banana bread!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #6377871

2 inches of snow in my yard. ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6377893

Bill said tonight will be worse cause the weatherman said the wind is going to die down. So if it's still and cold...uh oh... I really did a bad job of covering, so when the wind dies down a little, I'll try to go fix them better.

Kimberly, hope you feel better soon, Girlfriend...seems like you've really had a time of it since that accident!

Bonnie, I hope you're feeling better too and can get some answers soon. Seems like if we know what we're fighting, it will be easier to fight!

Marcy...I don't have any bananas, but you saying that made me hungry for pumpkin bread, and I DO have the stuff for that! :o)

Later...
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6377896

Ain't that truth,my blood pressure meds ran out March 18th,Mail order says they didn't get a renewal from Dr,
Dr says they sent one,so I waited another 2 weeks no meds came in the mail.called the mail order pharmacy,they said Dr office never sent one,went back to Dr they said they did,so I said send another one,back and fourth,getting tired of this crab!!!!!
Save me a slice of banana bread!!!!!LOL
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6377948

Yep! We have to do this mail order stuff now too. I don't like it!
So you haven't been on your bp meds in all that time??????? NOT GOOD DON!!
Joyce...pumpkin bread sounds good too!! MMMMM...with cream cheese on it...lol!
Tony..keep that snow up there in Cleveland plz!
MMMMMMMMM...banana bread!!!!!!!! LOL!!!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2009
6:39 PM

Post #6378229

Oh your cold!!!
Snif snif!!!!LOL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #6378845

I didn't cover any of my plants. The deer keep eating them !!!! uhg :(
Marcy i m glad your eye is better. To bad the dr's are a bit screwy ? that would frusterate me also
Bonnie i do hope you start to feel better soon. Do you like swimming ? could that be a excersice you could do ? someday ?
the kids are all fine, knock on wood. :) Dh leaves in 3 days :(
im not seeing anything from my hostas ? should i be seeing some green or is it still to early ? they are covered in leaves
wow Toni you got that much ? yikes . We got some but nothing stayed on the ground
GW so glad Howie is helping out , he sure is a keeper that man of yours :) How are you feeling ? pain getting better ? i hope so.
The GH is still standing ! yeah . so far so good . (knock on wood )

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #6378854

here is a little table and chairs i designed (snicker,giggle) for the kids to play with . Tea partys await us.
oh oh i see a deer i bettter go scare it off.

Thumbnail by taynors

daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2009
11:20 PM

Post #6379493

Sue, you need some dogs! That would take care of your deer quick. I just happen to have some puppies that are chicken friendly and sweet as honey. The chickens sleep with them. I know the chickens I'm bringing you to the RU. Now I need to send pics for the twins to pick out their pup each! LOL Gotta keep the sisters together. 3 are promised. only 3 left???
Geo

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #6379647

Good Evening.

I just watched a preview, and I recommend it...
Starting Monday, April 13, PBS will be airing a five–part series called We Shall Remain, exploring the history of the Native American people from colonial times to the present.

Preview We Shall Remain (25:53)
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/weshallremain/the_films/making_of?sssdmh=dm13.198381&o_iid=38769&o_lid=38769
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2009

Post #6380061

Good evening folks. George that is shameless you trying to pawn off puppies to go with the chickens. Hehe, ( I have been known to shamelessly beg for somebody to take a puppy too)

Sue good looking green house, want to come down and build me one. I am a good helper, and can hand you tools, and keep you supplied with your favorite beverage, and snacks and meals and beds,? The kids could play with dogs and horses, and explore the woods.

Marcy, what a fiasco those Drs put you through. I can only imagine how frustrated you are feeling. Sure hope that your eyes get better, despite the lack of cooperation and treatment that you didn't receive.

Tropicman, welcome. I sure hope that you get your mail order prescriptions straightened out soon. It is not a good thing to be without the BP meds for any length of time.

Darius, what are you doing with the cattle panels? Wow you have got a lot of trees and shrubs coming. Getting all the holes dug before hand will be a big help.

Joyce, I am hoping that I get some answers for this health issue this week. Today was the 2 week point after having the blood drawn. Yes, if I can just find out what I am fighting, it would make it a lot easier. I never know from day to day, what I will be able to do. Yesterday was horrible having to take pain meds 4 times, and today, although I have hurt some, resisted taking anything. Sending t & p's for you Dad. How is mom doing?

Well off to check some other threads, and heading off to bed. If I feel decent tomorrow, I will go to the grocery, if not, we can survive another day or two.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #6380426

Ok...telling about my banana bread.
I could tell Don could smell it...clear out in Kansas! LOL.
I even substituted 1 cup of sugar with Splenda...and it worked fine. It called for 1 1/2 cups of sugar...so I used 1/2 cup sugar with the Splenda. I also put hickory nuts in it. It was delicious!!
OH and Darius...remember the new beater I got...like yours? Finally used it...wow! I LOVE it! NO scraping the bowl..at all!! You have to try it!!
Supper was almost a disaster though. I was trying to cook...and my daughter called. I don't have a hand held phone in the kitchen.! Dropped the phone..yelled for her to hold on...and then cut her off when I picked it up!! LOL! And Dave came in about that time too...looked at me like I had lost it...lol! Oh well...we finally got to eat!
Our daughter is going to fly out to Oregon on her bd in May...to see her new homestead area! She is excited.!!
Ok...eyes are bothering me still...but think the drops are helping. I'm off to bed...to close them for a while...and have good dreams! Hope you all do too! Nite.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2009
11:03 AM

Post #6381213

Good Morning, Happy Dance! Happy Dance! Happy Dance!! NO white lawn this morning, woohoo! The low wasn't as low as predicted, thanks be to all the Gods, Fairies, Wee Folk, Pan, Elementals, Nature Spirits and even Woodchucks if necessary!!!

Thumbnail by darius

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2009
12:43 PM

Post #6381468

Geo you have no idea how tempting that is on the puppy offer. !!! i was just mentioning that we need a Jackabee to T the other night LOLLLL but i am sure any dog with a love for chasing things will do :)
Bonnie i think i m getting pretty good at this hoop thingy GH. I know what not to do this year LOLLLL I would be glad to make you one . I will plan a weekend trip over yonder and build you one. :) oh savannah would love it !! then jump on over to Geo's . Hmmm i gots me thinking a summer vaca is due for me and the kids. hmmm
darius i love Pbs. That show sounds great. I will look for it . Good news on the snow for you too. We had no white stuff either and it should be in the 50's today ? hopefully not to windy.
Flowers are toast !!! oh well. :( next year will be better. I guess they wernt' a deer resistant strain ? LOLLL
i can put some ceynnne pepper on it to maybe help the other that are left ? human hair and have my son pee over there LOL
T leaves at 4 am thursday , gonna be a lonely easter :( we will do eggs tonight and decorate them after dinner.
not much else going on here. :)
have a great sunny day eveyone
sue
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #6381493

Yeah, Darius!

How is everyone else's plants looking?

Marcy, glad the drops are helping, but sorry to hear about the frustration with the doctors. Pretty infuriating sometimes!

LOL, George...gotta do what you have to do to get rid of them pups!

Bonnie, hope today finds you doing better!

GW, same for you! This has sure been a long drawn out recovery for you.

Sue, we did it...started at the gym last night. Don't feel too bad this morning. I did use the complete round of equipment, but didn't put too much weight on them to over extend myself. Will increase the weight and number of reps with each visit. Will also add the treadmill or stair stepper on the next visit.

We're going to have a beautiful day today, with highs in the upper 70s. Same for tomorrow, but with a 40% chance of rain. Hoping I can finish getting the vegetable garden set up today to get these seeds and plants in the ground tomorrow before the rain comes in.

Well, that's about it...off to check on some more threads before I get started with my list...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6381524

great news Robin !!! good for you.
I always add more on mondays.
hugs
sue
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #6381557

Sue, how often do you go? Al only wants to go 3 times a week, but I'm thinking about going just about every day while I have access to a gym. I feel really good this morning, as in more energy and not so "worn out". I remember years ago, it was only suggested to go 3-4 times a week, but I'm thinking of Biggest Loser and their workout schedule. Would love to lose 50#, but shooting for 30# right now.

Toni, forgot to say earlier that it was good to see you posting! Missed ya!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #6381674

Darius, I liked your article today- I was just telling Dave about Dogwood winter and Blackberry winter yesterday.

Seems like we had enough clouds and precipitation during this cold snap to offer some protection. I'm not finding any damage. I was concerned about the Lilac buds and Lily sprouts, and so relieved not to wake up to gardens full of plants turned to snot. I didn't cover anything, usually don't. Too much to try to cover, and I feel guilty picking one thing to cover over another, LOL.

Been using this cold spell to do some spring cleaning. I'm gonna hit the bathrooms and the woodstove room today- hoping we're just about done with the stove! The dust from it drives me nuts. Looks like a warming trend is on the way, I want to get done inside so I can get out and plant some Lily bulbs.

Kimberly, keeping you in my T&P for a speedy recovery.

Hugs and waves all around.
Neal
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6381685

Hey y'all. I need to hop in the shower and get ready for a friend who's coming to visit, but I wanted to copy this over here for you from the prayer request thread.

Last night, something so comically bad happened I had to laugh later even though it was painful at the time. I lay down in bed around 4pm or so to read, having taken my painkiller around 2pm. The good thing is, I was able to get pretty comfortable so I hope to be able to sleep in bed fairly soon. The bad news was, I fell asleep and slept right through until 9pm - three hours past the time for my next dose. I was okay while laying down, but boy-howdy it was not fun when I got out of bed. I had also managed to get a crick in my neck, which triggered a round of muscle spasms.

Of course, since we'd all been snoozing, the dogs needed to go out. So, I put Emma on the metal cable and sent them out the back door. Emma took off to the left instead of going straight out into the back yard. She ran the cable right through the stones in our pond's waterfall. Aaaagh! It was freezing out, but there I was in my jammies, still kinked up with my spasms, pulling that cable out from between the rocks. I did a bang-up job of messing up the waterfall in the process, but I couldn't lift the rocks so they had to just splash into the pond. Howie will have to deal with that part.

Oh, and THEN she got the cable stuck around the stubble from the ornamental grasses Howie cut back a few weeks ago. I had to go back out and untangle those. So much for not stooping!

Yeah, now I laugh. LOL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6382862

Oh, Kimberly... sigh.

Tra-la-la... my first shipment of fruit bushes came today... blueberries and Nanking cherries from Nourse Farms. Box was crushed by FedEx but contents were well packed and I see no apparent damage. I should get them planted today, but the wind is dreadful; temps aren't too bad though, considering...

I was out in the wind earlier and planted half my onions... and just about froze my ears off! The rest of the onions can wait until tomorrow. Brent was going to work some for me in the yard today but I called and told him not to... It's too cold in the wind for me to be outside for long, and I don't want him working without my close supervision.

Thumbnail by darius

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6382903

darius nice fruit you got thar. i have heard of Nourse farms . what doesn't the Fed Ex guys not crush is my wonder ? seems everytime i get a box from them its crushed. ? oh well. they climb all the steps to my front door , so i don't argue with that LOL
onions i didn't get this year :( stupid nursery that i always get them at is not open ? maybe they wont open this year , i m so bummed. I like the Texas sweet they have. No one else carrys them around here. that i know if :( oh well
Gw my goodness them doggies just don't realize you had spasms did they. Sounds like you had a Marley moment with your dogs LOL poor thing. Take care of yourself. Tell them dogs to behave.
ttyl
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6382963

Sue, that's why I use the internet and mail order...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6383853

I usually do for most my stuff but onion i always get from this nursery. :(
well maybe another place will have them. ?
might be able to still get some online ?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6384536

Good evening, I went to the grocery and DH wasn't home to help carry them in and put them away, so by the time I got that done, I was done in. Took a pain pill and hit the couch, until time to cook some supper. Cleaned the kitchen and then went to Bible Study. Have placed an order from a mail order catalog, for some witch hazel. So that is the sum of my day.

Darius, sorry that stuff seems to get smashed by the delivery companies. I think they shake the package and if nothing rattles, they stomp it and then if it rattles, know that it was glass.

Sue how long with your DH be gone this time? It will be warming up, and you will be so busy outside that you won't hardly know he is gone.

Good grief Kimberly, don't do the dog thing again, or if you do make sure Howie is there to rescue them.

All of my plants came through the cold spell without any damage. Since the lilies were just coming up, I did cover them, but not anything else. Sure hope this is the last of the cold spells.

Robin, I wish you luck with the exercising. As soon as I feel like it, I will start my walking. That works well for me, and since I have to travel about 20 miles to a gym, it is not economically possible, so will have to depend on the walking and the garden work for my exercise. When I get the pool open, I plan on spending some time daily there, doing swimming and some aqua aerobics.

Good night all.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2009
11:12 AM

Post #6385614

Good morning!!!

I don't see any frost on the ground and good thing, cause I didn't know it was supposed to frost again and I didn't cover anything!

I'm going to run some errands today, with one of them being to go to Mark's work and see if any of those people want some caramels. I have a lot made up now so I'm hoping a LOT of people want some. It's a hard time to sell them though. People are watching their weight and their money!

We went to O'Charleys for dinner last night with our friends. They have a 2 for $20 deal and I loved mine and Bill hated his...the rolls are to die for and I'm proud to say I only ate one of them. It broke my heart to see one left in the basket when we left!

I'm so ready for warm weather to be here. I love it outside and especially in the garden...doesn't even have to be my garden!!!! :O)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6385798

Goodmorning, Everyone!

Well, It got up to 83* yesterday and it's a balmy 61* here this morning up to 78* later, so might be able to get friend's vegetable garden started today. Before anyone has any ill thoughts about my temps today, we are also in for some possible thunderstorms and winds around 50 mph later today into tomorrow.

Had lunch with new friend yesterday and then went to Sam's. Another pleasant visit, although we sure don't have anything in common.

Going in later today and finally getting about half my hair cut off. Been thinking about it for a year or so.

Think a trip to the gym is still on the agenda when the guys get off work today. It's a good 35 miles one way for us, too, so this is quite a splurge. But with 2 to 4 of riding together and taking turns driving, it's not so bad.

That's it for my exciting life...can't even brag about how pretty my spring flowers are, since I have none here. Bummer.

Ya'll have a good day! :)
valrita

April 9, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #6385873

Nice weather! I'm a little jealous but you can keep the thunderstorms. I had enough wind last September.

Half of your hair being cut off? Wow. How long is it now?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #6386014

Hi, Velnita!

In case you hadn't heard, we're down in SW Arkansas for a few months, so I guess the temps don't really give me any bragging rights.

My hair is almost to my waist. I keep it long so I can pull it up in a pony tail when I get hot, which is most of the time. I like shorter cuts, but then the hair ends "irritate" me when it brushes against my face and neck. Decided to get it cut just below my shoulders, but barely long enough to pull back, if I have to. Some older gals, look great with their long hair pulled up in back...I'm not one of them.
valrita

April 9, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #6386082

That hair cut will be quite a change.

I'm not one of those folks who look good with their hair pulled back either but I have to pull it back anyway. The good side of that is that if I make the ponytail tight enough I smooths out a few laugh lines.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2009
2:04 PM

Post #6386129

LOL...I KNEW there was a reason I was growing my hair... ;o)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6386280

LOL...that's the hidden reason for keeping it just long enough to still be able to pull it back. Nice smooth skin! Oh, but pity those close by when my ponytail is too tight!
valrita

April 9, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6386331

Long hair really is a hassle sometimes. In the yard, I've pruned it along with the plants and have had many pictures that were perfect except for the fact that my hair was crossing the lens. It's heavy and hot and takes forever to dry on a rainy day. I am constantly getting it caught in car windows and doors (including the moon roof), books, any everything that I try to carry. Do you know how embarrassing it is to get your hair caught in a shopping cart at a grocery store? Ugh.

Still, I like it. It is starting to go gray and the long white hairs look cool. And my kitty likes to make a bed of it at night. Her purring puts me to sleep.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6386339

Well gee..I just learned something!!!! NOW I know why I've left my hair long!!! To smooth out the wrinkles!!! LOL!! Good thinkin' Velnita!! MsRobin...I like mine just long enough I can pull it back too. In the winter though...I have to wear it down or I freeze!
Bonnie...hope you are having a better day today?
I didn't cover anything here ..no time...and things are fine.
My brother came through surgery just fine I understand. They took the bladder, prostate, and lymph glands. His wife said he probably won't be home until Monday. I'm sure he is happy to be awake. He sooo didn't want to be put under.
I am going to do my grocery shopping today, since it is nice out...and supposed to rain tomorrow. Don't want to be loading groceries in that!
MsRobin...hoping for some of your great weather here!! Sooner or later!!
Have a great day everyone.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #6386445

Good Morning all... up to 51* here, and everything is fine here too...

I have let my hair grow too, and it is below my shoulders now...Daily ponytail, but it ain't doing a thing for my wrinkles...LOL
Guess I will have to wait till it gets long enough to braid, then I can can really reef on it and pull a few back... LOL I looked like I was Chinese when I was a kid...They french braided my sides into the back so tight my eyes were slanted...LOL Maybe, besides being OLD, that's why I have all these wrinkles...they stretched out my hide... ;-P

Doing laundry and putting my lamp back together while I wait for it to at least get to 55*...Almost there... LOL

Have a great day and enjoy the sunshine while it lasts...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6386709

Just a quick hi while my helper has gone to lunch. 'Course, he calls it dinner. Nice day outside, warm and somewhat windy but we'll do what we can.

I have had several emails last night and today from my oldest brother. This week they found out my stepmother has colon cancer. Scans and blood work scheduled for today, and then a surgeon. I think she must be about 78... she was 16 when my dad married her and I was about 6-7. No love lost between us since the moment my dad died in 1993, but I still wouldn't wish cancer on her, or anyone.

Back to my shovel...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6387241

Darius sad news. Even if she isnt one of your favorite people, I too wouldn't wish cancer on anybody.

Never had my hair long, when in school, I was always involved in cheerleading and sports, and it was just easier to have short hair where it gets washed when you are in the shower.

I have transplanted some little seedlings today, and have done some cooking, and talking on the phone, and am having a much better day than I have had in about a month. Not saying that loudly, and knocking on wood as I typed those words. Don't want to envoke the wrath of any of the not so nice dieties.

Hope you all are having a good day.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6387438

Bonnie...{whispering here...whoohoo} So glad you are feeling a little better!

Marcy, T & P for your brother. It's a terrible ordeal to go through.

Wish I could send bright sunny weather up north to you all. Don't know what the temp is, but it's warm enough. However, we have gray skies and it's drizzling off and on, and the projected thunderstorms and 50 mph winds haven't blown in yet. Will probably move in about the time we head down to Texarkana this evening. Maybe the great weather we had yesterday will reach you all by tomorrow, so at least you get another glimpse of the coming spring.
valrita

April 9, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #6387494

Defoecat, great to hear that you're feeling better.

At one time I lived in pain every day and it was horrible. I was diagnosed with RA 17 years ago. Was on meds for the first 5 years but got tired of it and threw it all away. I "decided" that I wasn't going to have it anymore. Amazingly, I've only had one flare up since then where I had to have cortisone. I hate that stuff. My grandmother had RA really bad and before they knew much about cortisone they were injecting her with it all the time. It dissolved her hips. The few times I've allowed the doc to give it to me it was with a lot of arguing with him.

Someday I may have to take meds for it again but for now it's nice to be free from it. Those years were like a long dark tunnel. I really hated when people would see me struggling to walk or do something and have pity in their eyes. I'm too independent for that. Once I was in a class for measuring instruments and had to put together gauge blocks (easy to do). The professor stood behind me watching me and holding his breath because I was trying so hard but I couldn't do it. My wrists were swollen and maroon so I couldn't hide it. So embarrassing. I quietly put down the blocks and picked up my backpack and walked out.

Living with pain is bad but not being able to do stuff drove me batty.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6388265

Hey Bonnie, take whatever good days you can! Soon you'll have a diagnosis and some proper help for whatever it is...

Right now my body feels like it was in a wreck yesterday, and although I was busy in the yard all day, I didn't do anything strenuous... that's what 19 year old boys are for! We did good... 2 separate sections of cattle panel and posts up; one for thornless blackberries (we transplanted them today, too) and one for peas.

Got my 2 older black currants moved out of the raspberry patch, plus 3 buffalo currants and 3 red currants planted. Then FedEx came again with a couple more fruit shrubs. Well, "shrubs" is pushing the definition LOL, but I got a small nut tree seedling and a beach plum seedling, all now planted. Still one order yet to be delivered. However, I'm bummed... ForestFarm didn't ship my orange/apple quince, sigh... but they did credit my debit card. No explanation.

Here's a couple of photos. First, the blackberry fence which runs beside the 2 rows of raspberries (to the left of the photo).

Thumbnail by darius

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #6388275

And here's some of the new currant patch, flags marking the smaller seedlings. I ran out of mulch but it soon (I hope) all will get mulch over weed cloth...

Thumbnail by darius

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2009
9:50 PM

Post #6388299

Darius a lot of work accomplished today. Since they issued a credit, I would assume that they didn't have it.

velnita, I have been diagnosed with RA, but the Dr is wondering now if this is not something else. No call today, and since it is almost 6pm, I am sure that I won't get one. Tomorrow, I will call, don't want to go another weekend, if I can get an answer tomorrow.

Well, supper is ready and DH isn't in, gonna wait a few more minutes, and then, he can have his cold, I am hungry.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6388877

Bonnie have they looked into Epsten Barr syndrome ? sp ? or its called by another name but can't recall it at the moment. A friend of mine had it many years ago similar symptoms of what you describe. I sure hope some answers come along for you T&P :)
Busy day today
washed 300 3 " pots
transplanted some lettuce seedlings big PITA
started some zinnias seeds
peppers and tomatos
made a window in the GH with some screen ( aka tuille)
dinner
laundry
kids stuff
tomorrow they have a holiday , won't get much done this weekend uhg
great pics darius , wish i had a helper like you have . He is a good worker by the looks of it. you will be doing alot of canning with all them berries i bet.
good night
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #6389217

Good evening folks. Had some discouraging news tonight, my brother called me and told me that his 47 year old daughter has been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. She is seeing a specialist, and he told her that the oldest living patient with it was 33. They have been treating her for allergy and asthma since childhood, and her breathing got so much worse, her family dr sent her to another allergerist, who sent her to Norton's hospital in Louisville for more tests, and was diagnosed on Tuesday. She will be going to the University of Ky who has a specialist who deals with adult cystic fibrosis patients. There is really no cure, but nutrition and exercise, certain breathing treatments, and vitamins to boost her immune system. So keep her in your prayers. She has a lovely family, oldest is a freshman in college and younger daughter is in 11th grade.

We all gripe and complain, but it puts it all in perspective when you hear of something like this.

Marcy meant to comment about the successful surgery for your DB. Hope that his hospitalization isn't long, and he can be home to begin to recouperate.

It has started to rain here, and am anxious to hear the 11 pm news to see what is in store for the weekend.

I have an appointment to get my hair cut in the morning, and then my DB is coming by about noon.

Have a good night.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6389261

Oh, Bonnie, I'm sorry to hear about your niece's diagnosis. Gosh, we just never know.
valrita

April 10, 2009

Post #6389293

Defoecat, I'm so sorry to hear about your niece. I'll be keeping her and her family in my prayers.

Marcy, good to hear that all went well with your brother.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #6389777

Thank you all...about my brother.
Bonnie...so sorry to hear about your niece! We never know what life will throw at us..do we?
All we can do...is keep going...and hope for the best!!
I think that rain is coming our way Bonnie! I feel it in my knees!! Always thought that was something people imagined...maybe not!!
Good night all!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6390933

Bonnie i m sorry to hear the news of your niece. Several of my friends from childhood had that . Funny how we never realy thought much of it when kids. ? i always thought of them normal :) the one activity we could do as kids was ride horses. ! My friends in wheel chairs ,MS ect... we always had my dad take us down to the ranch and we could ride to our hearts content :) no limits for them on a horse. Even there balance got better when riding. I volunteered for a therapy riding too. Such memories *sigh*
T&P for your family Bon's and a big ((()))) for you
not much here
heading out soon to springfeild to get a money order and overnight it to the brat oldest DD of mine LOL
have a great day
raining and yukky out
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6391338

Light rain here, with nasty thunderstorms forecast for later... yuck. But at least for now, my new plants are being watered. Just hope they don't drown later.

Seems everywhere around there is some tragic occurrence of illness, or worse. Sigh. If I believed in a vengeful God, I would say it is payback for our (collective) contribution to environmental destruction, and callous indifference to the plight of others.
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6391399

Amen
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6391867

Double Amen... I second that for sure...Mother Earth has been crying for many years at the abuse...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #6392491

We are having pouring rain, hail, wind and under a tornado watch. Yukky stuff out there.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #6392503

Tornado Watch here, too. I saw where Murfreesboro (TN, where DG's Terry lives) had 5 tornados touch down, also some damage in the southern part of KY, too.
valrita

April 10, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6392514

Ouch. Hail. I hope you and your plants will be safe and sound.
No twisty winds please. Hope the storm god heard that.
Please be safe.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #6392551

Had another good day, even with the weather. It is great to be feeling better, hope it will continue. See I told you I would be well before I got a diagnosis.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6392928

My Nam Brother Paulie lives there, and I cannot get him on his cellphone...Please keep him and his family in your prayers...
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #6393019

The yuck seems to have passed, no damage here. There was a tornado warning in this county today, but I haven't heard any damage reports. Just before the weather hit I got a few pics. Had to share these sunny, twinkling species tulips with you all.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #6393060

More is coming our way Neal...There are warnings now all the way through the VA's...Atlanta north is getting battered badly...My son just called me...

Darius...batten your hatches...

Robin... we need to hear from you in Arkansas...

((((Bons)))))... so glad you are feeling better...

Fish baking in the oven for sandwiches with steak fries...Pear Salads..That is supper...

Off to send Smoke for all...Be at Peace...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6393543

hi all
busy day
lunch with inlaws
Lowes for lights
calls to make
bills to pay
Oldest DD paid her court fee's ( out of her savings ) told her this is it ! screw up anymore and you get a one way ticket to Mexico !!!!! LOL
she is sounding better , i hope :)
T&P to them with bad weather .
Paulie a big ((())))
Bon's a big ((())))
Neal nice pretty flowers :) love it
darius who knows on that , but i do have a feeling of a " this is a whacky year " ? nothing seems to fit ? like the universe is out of synch ? the plantes aren't aligned up right ? something is running amock ?
IMHO
well folks
time for beddy bye
been starting seeds. I m way behind on that ! ran out of cells . Hmmmm i guess i can use dixie cups ? lol
take care and be careful
hugs to you all
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2009
3:18 AM

Post #6394074

Well the weather has passed, no damage, but it sure was raining ice about 3:30. DH ran to put a car in the garage, and before he could jockey them all around it was over. He keeps lawn mowers and tillers in the garage, no place for the cars!!

Thanks for all your t & p's for my niece. Just please keep them coming. Since the longest living cf patient is 33, she is way past her life expectancy. I am just so shocked that a diagnosis hasn't been made sooner. She has always had allergies and asthma, and just took that diagnosis as fact, and it has just been within the last couple of weeks that she was getting worse and sought out a new allergy doctor, which lead to more tests, then referral to a cf dr for adults, located in Lexington. He is only 1 of 3 in the US. I am glad that she is close enough to get treatment without having to travel miles. No cure, just nutritional advice, as cf causes the body to not metabolize the vitamins, vitamin therapy, and breathing treatments to try to keep her lungs clear. I jokingly told her last night in our conversation, that she could become Jerry's poster Kid.

I am happy that I have had 2 good days, back to back. I am still gonna pursue a diagnosis and treatment, as I am sure that this is something that I will deal with again.
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #6394141

We got storms here and tornado watch which is over now. Saw pics on TV of Murfreesboro, TN...a path of destruction. In Louisville my sister and mother got marble size hail. Hope all are safe everywhere.
T & P to all who are ailing. Bonnie, I can't believe the drs haven't given you a diagnosis yet. What takes so Long??? Sorry about your neice...sending prayers.
My BIL got over the stomach green stuff after his bypass surgery. After more than a week he could finally eat without vomiting, etc. About to release him and his right arm swelled. Put IV back in with antibiotics. Doc of infectious disease thinks it's staff, but another dr doesn't think so. They don't know what it is. He came home yesterday ...probably because he complained so much about going home. On lots of antibiotics. Will take arm to dr Tuesday to check it. Swelling has gone down some.

Haven't read any more about Badseed's at-home job. Is it working okay.
Have also been wondering about crashbanditscoot's BIL and how he is doing with his Leukemia.

I keep up with all of you even though I've only met a couple of people on this thread, but I feel like I know you.
Hugs to all,
Judy
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2009
3:42 AM

Post #6394157

Judy, when they drew the blood 2 1/2 weeks ago, they said that 3 of the tests would take about 2-3 weeks to get results. So I am not getting too anxious. My dr. is good about calling when he has test results. Even though I am feeling better, will still pursue this, and get to the bottom of it, because I think that it is something that will be back sooner or later.

Terry is okay, just heard that on another forum. She is in Murfreesboro Tn.

Off to go to bed, just let Mr. B inside from his nightly constitutional and it is raining cats and dogs again.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2009
4:39 AM

Post #6394318

It is 12:38 AM and I still cannot reach either Paulie or or his brother or either of the 2 sisters...They all have cell phones, so if the tower got hit, that could be why...I am praying hard that it is...I am worried sick and so is Jim...He has been pacing like crazy, asking me every 15 minutes if I tried to call again...I doubt there will be much sleep here tonight...We both love him a bunch, and I have met all of them, and they are good to the bone people...

I hope all of the ones in the path of that come out of it in one piece... As long as you are alive, that is all that matters...
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2009
4:53 AM

Post #6394359

Dusty,
The heaviest storms are in North and South Carolina now. I know what you mean about not resting until you hear something from them. Hopefully, they are no where near the worst and they are enjoying a movie.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2009
4:59 AM

Post #6394371

Yeah, I know Judy...but the devastation is behind in TN and other places, and Paulies entire Family is right there in Murfreesboro...If I had my own vehicle I would be on my way down there to see what is what, and help with the cleanup...It looks like a bomb hit it...I'm worried about Robin & Al too...It hit Arkansas yesterday...and we haven't heard from her...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2009
9:56 AM

Post #6394638

Good Morning... it's still dark and I haven't seen what's outside yet. I slept like the dead so I don't know if we had storms during the night or not, but it was quite noisy outside when I went to sleep. Weather channel radar shows we are still having some rain.

I'm off to Floyd for amendments. Guess I'd better stop and buy some large heavy-duty plastic bags to put stuff in; my topper is off the truck and I cannot get it back on by myself.

Dusty, Dave made this map of the path of destruction in Murfreesboro. Maybe you can tell where Paulie lives in relation to the map?
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6393102
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2009
11:18 AM

Post #6394720

Happy Birthday Cookie! Love ya!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2009
12:06 PM

Post #6394819

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MISS JOYCE!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2009
12:22 PM

Post #6394857

Some flowers for the birthday girl!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #6394893

Goodmorning, Folks!

All's well down here in SW Arkansas. Although it looked a little rough for awhile Thursday evening, the storm went all around of us. Lots of thunder & lightening, rain & hail. We were on the road with 12 miles to go to reach home when it started and no place for shelter to sit it out. DId have a touchdown in Mena, AR, which is about 40 miles (?) north of here. Heard on the radio they had 3 fatalities. Amazing that as flat as it is here and as many watches and warnings that there normally are, that there are no basements that I have seen and very few root/storm cellars. Al said during orientation at work, that they were told most of the churches have shelters, but in this rural area, they are pretty few and far between. He was also told by a co-worker, that last summer, they were lucky to get in 20 hours a week at work due to all the tornado watches and warnings. Wish we had known that before we came down. Can't survive on the road with that few of hours a week for very long.

T & P to all those that need them. I agree that so many of our weather disturbances and health issues are caused by environmental polution and chemicals and/or hormones in our foods. Progress is not always a good thing.

Lots of some kind of flu or virus going around this area. Two of our friends have already been down for a week each with it. Trying to avoid close contact with too many people or staying outdoors when we're with a group. Took me 6 weeks to finally get over the pnuemonia I came down with shortly after we got here.

Everyone take care of yourselves and I sure hope you all have some pleasant weather to enjoy some time outdoors!

Robin
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #6394898

Forgot to add my Birthday Wishes to the Birthday Girl! Have a great day, Joyce!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2009
1:09 PM

Post #6394957

Just a quick note.
I'm having some serious internet problems.
Tech scheduled for Tues.
I'll BBL

Ric

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6394991

Ric i was wondering where you was ! sorry your having trouble . Miss you
Not much here
seeds starting and Gh maintance. LOL so far the tape is working :) ( knock on wood)
Dusty i hope you get a word from Paulie soon. T&P for you , Hope Jim got some sleep .
lots of running to do today
sunny out so that is good
have a great day everyone
hugs
sue

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6395101

Thank you all for my birthday wishes...my last year in the 50's... :O(

I'm glad that all of you seem to be safe. I didn't even know any of that was going on. We watched recorded programs last night, so there was no indication on the tv.

Bonnie, I'm sorry to hear of your niece and my prayers will be coming for her. Dusty, hope you hear from your other husband soon, cause I know if anything happens to him you will be devastated.

I'm off to M&D's today for a visit with my niece and her new husband. They can't make the 70th anniversary celebration next weekend and they are up with all the kids for a weekend at Great Wolf Lodge. This is Lyston's mom (the great-niece with hearing problems at 10). I'm anxious to see them and meet the new guy. This is her 3rd marriage, so hopefully, third time is a charm.

Enjoy the sunshine all!!

PS...thanks for the flowers Neal...I really love them. I can almost smell, too!
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #6395124

Happy BIrthday Joyce.

Dusty, I hope you had heard some good news by now.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #6395131

Thanks be to Creator...They are all fine and no damage to any of the family...Brother Mike was at work, and they have a 2 story deep basement, so he was safe, but his truck got hit with some debris on the drivers side of the bed...He said nothing a body shop can't fix...

Paulie was at the VA Hospital in Nashville when it hit, and the Shuttle would not bring him back home afterwards...One of the nurses lives in Murfreesboro and offered to bring him back home when she got off duty...Cell phones do not work in most VA's in certain areas, because they have steel reinforced walls, and he forgot to check his voicemail...
He said the devastation they came through on his way home was unreal...He took Dads paper up to him about 15 minutes ago and Carrie had biscuits & gravy on the table for him, so he will call me back in about an hour...
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #6395149

Great News!!!!!!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2009
2:04 PM

Post #6395180

I can say that with T , the third time is a charm LOL i m the third wife LOLLLL so he better be nice to me !!!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #6395192

Dusty that's GREAT News!

Joyce...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6395220

Hey Bro... That is just purely decadent!!! LOL

Are you all coming this way this weekend??

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6395252

Ooooooo are you delivering those, Ric?????????? Thank you for the wishes!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6395307

Get yer tongue back in yer mouth and quit drooling Sissy!!

Very unbecoming for a Birthday Girl!!! LOL
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #6395358

Happy Birthday Joyce!! And may you have many more!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #6395614

So, is the kickoff of a birthday week for you, Cookie? I think birthdays should stretch out to entire weeks. :)

My friend Rebecca came over yesterday and we hung out from 4pm to almost midnight. We watched the movie Seven Pounds. I don't want to say anything about the plot because it is a movie best seen without bringing any preconceived notions along.

Ohhh, crud. Mom just called and said dad fell and hit the plate in his head. He's feeling woozy. She is driving him to the Vet hospital in Dayton. Here we go again. Again, it is not a question of whether or not he has coverage as a vet, but that he must drive clear to Dayton to get in through an ER and receive it for free. Darn it all. One of these times he is going to die en route to Dayton because he refuses to go to one of the Columbus hospitals out of fear of medical costs.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #6395979

OK I've found out the phone line works better when it's in one piece.
Seems we crushed it in all the moving around we've been doing.
So I went ahead and rewired the computer room... now no more cords to crush.
Once we tear down the ceiling in the LR we're going to rewire the whole house.
AND run all the speaker cords and such up there too.

Thursday was a seriously long day.
Robyn has been up north working on the house since Tues.
I left for work at 6:30 then drove up there at 3:30. The sink was in but no plumbing done.
It was by 8:30 when we left... lol!
No tools though. I thought Robyn had taken my plumbing bag.
so w/ pliers and an 80 year old 8" pipe wrench ... we have water.
They got the LR, Hall, Kitchen and one BR sanded and painted.
The new ceiling looks Great!
But we will NOT let them do any more mudding.
WAY too much mud used and subsequently WAY too much sanding.

Here's the Kitchen. The tile is now done.
All the termite damage under the window repaired and a new ledge put up.

Ric

This message was edited Apr 11, 2009 1:45 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #6396011

And the LR w/ it's new ceiling, walls patched and painted, trim on mostly.
Hall and furnace room patched and painted.
Robyn and Cindy worked about 40 hours of 48 on it.

Next comes the Bathroom... basically a one wall tear down and rebuild and a replumb.
New Vanity...
All an easy fix after the rest of what we've done.

Here's a before

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6396016

And after...
Off to play Ketchup

Thumbnail by henryr10

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6396075

Happy Birthday, Joyce! Sorry I didn't see the birthday list early this morning or I'd have been at the top of the well-wishers list. :)

Dusty, Glad they are okay, I bet you feel better, whew. I hate being on pins and needles.

Just rolled in from my trip, need to unload the truck and get some lunch. Oh, I stopped at a neat little natural foods store in Floyd where I found some fresh ground buffalo! They also had a new and very tasty Greek olive oil in bulk (and refillable bottles) so I got a bottle, and a loaf of sun-dried tomato and rosemary bread. I'll grate some Parmesan later, slice some of the crusty bread, and have a dippin' party all to myself. Yum.

Ric, I bought 100' of cable, like the kind you suggested. If it works well, I can do another third next month and finish it in June without my pocketbook screeching too much at one time.

Your project is coming along nicely. Target completion date?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #6396248

Darius I'm glad that wire worked out.
Wish I was still doing fence we had reels of it.
It will take some serious pressure just like barbed wire so don't be afraid to stretch it.
If you get back to Floyd before the RU grab me some Olive Oil please.
The Greek stuff goes fast here and I love the flavor.

Target date... sometimes it feels like the 12th of never... LOL!
Probably wrap up bulk weekend.
We're going to the Cincy Flower also but I have a 3 day weekend going too.
After a 4 day NO Dayton work weekend.
Though Robyn is painting the cab doors to take back up tomorrow.

Dusty I'm not sure if we'll have time to stop up.
Hopefully we can stop by either going or coming back from dinner tomorrow.
I'll call you.
We REALLY want to see all the pond work.

Ric

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6396307

Be glad to pick some up for you, Ric. The bottles were $3.50 (they have both a screw cap and a pouring spout cap with them, plus it's labeled with the kind of EVOO); mine held just over 16 oz. and it was $10... sold be weight.

I may get to trying out some of the wire today, but I just realized Lowe's didn't bag everything I paid for so I need to make a trip back to Lowe's... 2 hours plus gas wasted, Phhhhttt...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #6396410

Mom and dad are at the VA hospital in Dayton and they're checking him out. Mom says he feels okay. Poor cell signal inside, so updates will be infrequent from mom.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #6396449

Kimberley can't they back bill the VA for emergencies?

GOOD LUCK!
Hope it's nothing serious.

Ric
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2009
8:53 PM

Post #6396560

Happy Birthday, Joyce!!

Chele, has Craig heard back from the interview?

Hi and hugs, everyone!!
~ Marylyn

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2009
8:58 PM

Post #6396574

Gw sorry to hear your dad fell. Those are scary .
Ric nice work on the house. Looking really good and what a difference. ! I bet Robin is pooped. ? and you too . wow
darius that bites when they do that . I hate that too. That health store sounds like it has good stuff. We have two places over here that do buffalo . I have never tried it but would really like to . :) not many good health stores around here :(
well busy day
lots of stuff in Gh and i fried my zinnias ! uhg got way to hot in that GH. sheesh
well off to go to an easter egg hunt with kids
ttyl
sue
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #6397416

Happy Birthday Joyce
It's my last year in the fifties also..BooHoo

Pauletta
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6397569

Gee I feel young now! I still have 2 years and 11 months! LOL!

Thumbnail by henryr10

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6397605

I don't know what they can and can't do. I've about washed my hands of trying to help them with this stuff. There's no reasoning with him. He's supposedly checked and found stuff out.

Medicare paid part of that visit to the local hospital ER earlier this year for his obstructed bowel; the VA did not cover anything, but the hospital itself forgave the rest of the bill. But that wasn't good enough - he still insists on going to the Dayton VA. I give up.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6397618

Thanks for the birthday wishes all!

Kim, sorry about Dad, hope he's really okay.

Our little cookout went well. Cake was yummy and no one went away hungry.

I'm pooped. See you all on the morrow...Happy Easter.

:oP Ric...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6397773

Oh, and they're on their way back from Dayton. Everything apparently checked out okay. He has a big knot on his arm, but it doesn't hurt. It appeared suddenly, so dad thinks maybe it happened when he tried to break his fall? He's supposed to keep an eye on it and get it checked if his arm or hand have numbness.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #6397886

Kimberly, don't give up, the older folks just have their own way, and until they discover another way, that is what they will continue to do. Hope that Dad is okay, and no lasting effects.

Joyce, glad that you had a good day, and the cookout was good. Glad those birthday celebrations only come once a year!!

Sue, yikes, poor little zinnias, don't worry you can sow the seeds outdoors and they will be fine. Just try again.

Ric, the work looks good, as usual. Hope that you and Robin can physically last throught his project.

|I had my Easter dinner tonight for supper. DS and his SO have to work tomorrow, and we decided to celebrate today. I cooked most of the afternoon, and we enjoyed the dinner. For once they didn't have to dash off to someplace else, so got to visit for a good while. Now DH and I can eat leftovers, and then rest tomorrow afternoon. We are going to sunrise service, so heading to bed, so that I will be able to pry my eyes open.

Good Night, and Happy Easter!!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #6398042

Happy Easter Everyone!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #6398093

A lot of the work up there is a group effort.
Nephews, BIL and SIL's are pitching in.
I did mostly bones work and plumbing.
Robyn did a vast bit of the finish sanding and painting. All the tile.
It will be done by May 1 for sure.
Hopefully sold by May 2...lol!

Ric
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6398105

Try to stop by for a sec Bro... I have this boxfull for you ...

Happy Easter Everyone...Have a Blessed Day...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2009
11:50 AM

Post #6398696

Good Morning, and Happy Easter and/or Happy Sunday.

I awakened to white lawn. It was supposed to only be a low of 35º so of course I didn't cover anything. I'll go outside when it warms up to see what 27º did to my hostas. :(

Has anyone seen Fiber Optic Grass? The nursery where I got mulch yesterday had a few... man, they are spectacular! Much nicer than any photos I've seen. They are an annual here, but I may break my rule and buy one anyway. (My rule is: buy nothing I cannot grow to eat, at least this year.)

Ta, ta...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2009
11:53 AM

Post #6398704

Darius I bought one 2 years ago, and it didn't last long, don't know what I did to it but it was toast in just a bit. I think it is a plant for ponds, and I treated it like a shade plant.

Back from sunrise service,and drinking coffee and reading the paper, we will be off in a bit for early church.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2009
12:34 PM

Post #6398801

Happy easter
Gw maybe your dad has a little crush on a VA nurse over there , thats why he insists on the VA ? you know how them VA NURSES are ROFLLLLLL ( yeah Dusty i be talken to you's ) LOLLLLL
wow Bon's back from sunrise service ! sheesh . I m so lazy ( sulking away in shame ) i always try but i m not a morning person . I hope Jesus forgives me for that . :)
take care
and many blessings to you all
sue
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #6398840

HAPPY EASTER!

Darius, hope all your plants fared well!
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #6398883

Happy Easter everyone! Have a great day!

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #6398982

I had a fiber optic grass plant maybe 7-8 years ago. Grew well all summer, I really like it. I had it in a pot. It was a freebie from the greenhouse, buy anything, get a fiber optic grass plant. Works for me. :)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6400706

must stop eating ... must stop ...uhg (crawling back to the ham on counter) ...stomache hanging over ...uhg...must stop eating... mmmmm ham yum...mmmmm pie... someone call help ! call Jennie Craig! (crawling back with stomache hanging on floor ) aaahhhh recliner good... aaahhhh remote in hands .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6401057

I spent some of this lovely day outside, but frankly didn't accomplish much. Just have zero energy. Took a nap earlier, and now I'm worn out again. That truck full of mulch will just have to wait until later in the week after all the coming rain has passed. I thought I heard the Weather Channel mention a possibility of snow for the Ohio Valley as this new storm comes East... and there's already another one behind it.

Ric, that cable is working nicely... except it's hard to cut (3/32"). Could be because my linesman's pliers have a notch in them where I cut into a live circuit years ago?... (good thing they had insulated grips). Wish I had more cable, though. I'm impatient to do the rest of it and get it properly finished. I just hope it looks and stays taut after a few days.

Robin, all the plants look fine; the ground is warm so I was just worried about the tops. I did pick some asparagus spears that have started to come up today. This is their 3rd year, so no problem with harvesting them now.

Where's about half the folks that usually post on here? Most of them have been MIA for a while...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6401152

Sue, your painful post makes me think of that Simpson's episode where Homer's sitting on his couch, gobbling down some expired ham Apu's market...

Uuuhhh...stomach churning...bowels clenching...
not much time...must finish...ham...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6401449

Evening folks. We went to sunrise service,home to drink coffee and read the paper, and back out to go to early church. Went to DH's cousins house for dinner, and boy was it good. Ate way too much. Food is so much better if it is cooked by someone else.

We napped this afternoon, and then I took Mr. B for his daily ride. Visited 2 neighbors so that Mr. B could play with their dogs, and then have been reading and watching tv. All in all a good day.

Rain is supposed to be here sometime tomorrow, and I am hoping that I can get out and get some things done before it moves in. Sounds like it is gonna be a 2-3 day rain event.

Hope everybody had a good day, and that you have a good restful night.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6401498

It looks like the April showers are here. Our dogs will be reluctant to go out, and when they do go out, they'll come in with muddy paws. Good times in spring. LOL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6401653

GW LOL yeah i was thinking of that too LOL I sure felt like him too.
good night to all and to all a good night
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #6401831

Well we did some Northbound travelin' for Easter Eats and then ended up at Dusty and Jim's place.
Cookie popped over for a bit so we had a nice mini ru...
Dusty's pond is looking good... the Koi are lookin' ...tasty!
The wind was a bit much but a beautiful day otherwise for a nice visit.
So we ditched it inside after a bit to play w/ the pups and jaw for a spell.
All and all a lovely day!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
4:57 AM

Post #6402183

I finally got around to taking a picture that shows HOW NOT TO PLANT A TREE PEONY. This thread is the only one I try to keep up with and I can barely manage it - I thought it would change when I got cable and faster internet - not so. Anyhow, know that I read and pray for all those that need it and wish you all the best.

Thumbnail by Esther_z6

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
6:47 AM

Post #6402347

This thread loads slowly even on cable internet, Esther? Something's got to be wrong there. Do other sites load slowly, too?
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
10:36 AM

Post #6402543

I am on DSL and it loads very quickly for me.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
11:11 AM

Post #6402597

Good morning folks! We enjoyed the sun yesterday and it felt pretty good as long as I was moving around. Dave worked on burning some brush and I planted most of my new Lilies and several Pansies and Snapdragons I started from seed around the entrance. While I was digging I unearthed a fern and an Astilbe that had been buried last fall by the backhoe, I'm finding more survivors all the time. Thought I'd lost my variegated Solomon's seal, but now I'm finding it sprouting in several places :-). Looks like my Pulmonarias are toast though; I'd even dug those up just before the backhoe started, but I've always found them to resent being moved or divided in fall, so not a big surprise. Finally getting the area cleaned up to the point its looking like a garden again.

Waves and Hugs!
Neal

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #6402696

Good morning
Good to know Ester on the tree peony. thanks :)
Neal good news on some of your plants you found. Always a good score :)
not much here
got to get kids to school
and ??? not much to do in rain :(
Ric glad you guys hada nice visit and love the pics. I almost forget what you all look like ? ! :)
later
sue

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
12:05 PM

Post #6402721

Solomons Seal!!!!! Yes, thank you Neal, I couldn't remember what I had planted that was coming up there. BIG mistake not labeling things last year... :O(
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
12:10 PM

Post #6402735

Cookie, I've practically given up on labeling things in the garden- as the spirit leads around here, LOL. Did you find fat, pinkish nubs arising? That's what mine looked like upon emerging.

Esther, good to "see" ya :-) I was just thinking of you yesterday- the red Epimedium you brought me has buds! I was so worried the drought last year may have done them in, but both the red and orange are looking strong.

Where's Chelle? Time for a check in girlfriend!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6402862

Yes, Neal, that's what they look like. I didn't even think about it being Solomon Seal since it is so pink and fat!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #6402930

Just a pop in to say HI and wishing ya'll the best!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
1:16 PM

Post #6402952

Good Morning All!

Michele posted last week that she had a job but no one said anything. LOL I've been busy since Thursday getting the company laptop set up, then pounding away at entering data since then. So, I get to work at home now and we are still praying for Craig to get his second interview with that computer company so he can work at home! If that would happen to come through, we'd be back to his base salary. There are many perks to working at home though-no commute, no gas expense, no wear and tear on the car, working in jammies, nursing the baby while you work (me, not Craig!), no lunch expense, etc. So, keep up the prayers for Craig!

He also finally got into the Dr after waiting 10 months only to find out the other specialist had to cancel his appt. and she is retiring in a few months. Grrrr. He is having some issues and has to have an ultrasound on his stomach tomorrow. Next week he goes to another Rheumatologist and hopefully will get back on his meds.

On a garden note, I have lots of daffs, hyacinths, grape hyacinths and scilla blooming. The tulips have buds and the daylilies are up a good 8". I have about 600 cuttings going in the greenhouse thanks to a dear DG friend. I didn't start any veggies and don't know if I will.

The girls started back to soccer two weeks ago so we have ten practices a week and games start this weekend. They had a nice Easter yesterday and Nolan is doing great! I will have to post some new pics of him when I find time. The little bugger is/has already outgrown most of his 0-3 mo clothes. Waaaah. He's growing too fast.

Nice to see you Esther! (Nice to see everyone but Esther surprised me. chuckle)

Guess I better put the whites in the dryer so I can get the towels on and get back to my data entry. :)

You all have a great day!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #6403012

Glad that job is working out so well for ya! I had read that on one of my "quiet" days...yep, I do actually have those, LOL.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6403020

'Morning... but not so good with the rain. Looks like we'll have it for several days.

Esther, nice to see you! It looks like your tree peony reverted to below the graft growth only? Is that common?

Neal, you should ask Dave to char that brush instead of burning it. Then crush and bury the char in your garden... it does wonders for your plants (esp. if inoculated with urine) and does a tremendous job of sequestering some of the carbon that's harming this lovely blue planet we call "Home".

Hey Ric, you seem to "come by" things a lot... I need a small steel barrel with a removable lid that will fit inside a 55 gal. barrel. Maybe 30 gals? Just needs at least 4" all around and under it between the 2 drums. Keep your eyes out for one? Doesn't much matter what was in it (except poisons) because it will burn away.

I'm getting Roundup fever... just under 3 weeks until the Southern Appalachian RU in Asheville! (The 2 RU's I attend are my "vacation".) It always seems to be chilly and rainy for it, but we rent a nice big shelter right on the lake. It will be a lovely weekend away seeing old friends, and the huge regional Herb Festival is the same weekend in Asheville. I've been so busy planning (and planting) fruits that I've neglected to do much of an herb garden so far.

Tomatoes... I'm looking for just a few seeds of "Brandy Boy" to try. I usually don't do hybrids, but I'd like to try this one if anyone has several extra seeds.

We seem to have a break in the rain... I think I'll try to get my potatoes planted!
Ta, ta...

Hi, Chele... guess I missed the post about your new job... sorry. Why no vegetable garden this year? Good to see you!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #6403035

GREAT News Michele!
Sorry I missed the post on the job.

Esther I agree there has to be an issue somewhere.
On a long heavily photo loaded thread there should be a slight lag but nothing of consequence.
Are all the sites you visit lagging or just Dave's?
Good to have you back!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6403059

Darius we use a lot of 30 Gal Drums but they are all the solid bung type.
Check w/ a truck wash or cleaning company (rugs, etc)
Zep powder comes in that type drum.
I'll keep my eyes open around here.

Ric
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6403091

Chele, you've got to tell everyone about the Easter Bunny's hiding place. It won't sound nearly as funny as it did when you called me yesterday, but it'll still bring some laughs I know!

Edited because I had replied after Neal saying Chele needed to post. LOL Guess I left this post sitting around for a while before submitting it, because by the time I did, you'd posted already!

This message was edited Apr 13, 2009 9:52 AM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #6403115

Thanks, Ric... my problem is that we have no such places around here. I suppose if necessary I could get someone to cut the top off. Don't actually need the top anyway, just makes it a bit neater to use for making biochar.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009

Post #6403272

Darius, I'm not familiar with charring. Off to look that up, thanks for the tip :-)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6403460

Neal Mother Earth News magazine did a article on it . You could find info on http://www.Motherearthnews.com for the article.
wow Chelle good news on the job for you. I saw you post it ! and i commented ... I think ? sorry my bad. T&P for your family and i hope Craigs gets his tummy better.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6403510

here you go Neal
i think this is what darius is talking about ?
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/Make-Biochar-To-Improve-Your-Soil.aspx
still raining ! uhg

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6403538

Neal, I wrote an article about Biochar, too. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1669/ I've learned lots more since I wrote it, and I plan on a follow-up article including how to make your own... with photos. There are a few photos by Dave on one of the threads of my article. He started making biochar after reading my article, and now he gives talks on it. I'm going to make mine in a drum inside a drum, but if you google "making charcoal" you will find some places where they just make it from brush on the ground.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #6403576

Thanks Sue! That's fascinating!

Chele, are you raising any bedding plants this year? Guess you noticed my L sticks sometimes, I catch it sometimes with spell check (like when I've typed "reallllly"), but "Chele" is tagged as misspelled either way. Sometimes it looks like I type with a stutter, LOL.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #6403601

Thanks Darius, I'd forgotten it, but now I recall reading that article. Looking forward to the how to article! Using drums looks like the way to go. I've got Dave reading up on it now!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #6403644

Your talk of charcoal reminded me of something I read a while back. It was still in my browsing history: http://www.holon.se/folke/carbon/simplechar/stove.shtml
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #6403709

Thanks Kimberly! Got it bookmarked! Is your Dad feeling better? And how about you, how's the pain lately?
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6403770

Hi all! My internet is fast enough, it is me that is slow. And then I plan to do too much stuff and only do about 5%.

Darius, my tree peony has not reverted, (but because we did not plant it deep enough) I have both the tree peony and whatever it was grafted on both growing. If you look closely at the stems and the leaves, I essentially have 2 plants there, but Bob keeps pulling off the herbaceous peony stems (which is what you should do) but I am also curious to see what its blooms would look like.

There are so many weeds in the garden, and also no longer wanted plants, like the vinca, showy primrose, some sedums and akebia, etc. I try to do what I can in the spring to get rid of them and ignore them the rest of the year, but I do not mind things like forget-me-nots and this corydalis that bloom in spring and sort of fade away and are easy to pull out.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2009 12:06 PM

Thumbnail by Esther_z6

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6403780

Kimberly, I've read a lot of that guy's stuff on sequestering carbon. He's pretty knowledgeable. If I make a second burner it will be a retort, but not like his. I saw a horizontal one that brings the gases back under the outside drum in a perforated pipe, where they burn and cook the biomass inside. The pipe looks like a long gas burner, kinda like a gas oven burner but single and straight.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6403798

Esther, I had a tree peony do that too, and I did let a herbaceous one bloom one year before cutting it off. It was hot pink and single with a yellow center. That Corydalis is lovely!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #6403929

still raining :(
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6404558

Hi, Folks! Checking in--- got on the puter to look something up for taxes & then drifted over here to see what everyone has been up to. (And to avoid taxes some more). I spent last week recovering from the wedding & then doing Holy Week stuff. Got to celebrate Eucharist at ST. Barnabas in Montgomery yesterday. Service went very well. They had strings & timpani & full choir & did several selections from the Messiah. Gorgeous & soul- lifting. But rest of day & today I'm exhausted.
Darius, I love the fiber optic grass. I've used it in both containers & beds. I haven't had it come back the next year, as I've had with the -- I want to say Mexican hair grass but that sounds wrong. I'll look it up after taxes. It really looks like a soft spike of long hair. It's supposed to be an annual here but it's come back in both container and bed. I give it a haircut in the spring, and bingo, off it grows.
MUSt DO TAXES. MUST HAAVE HAM SANDWICH TOO.
Love to all,
Pat

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6405360

mmmm ham

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6405477

just some pics of the house plants i got from you all last spring
neal i think this is from you , it has flowers

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #6405481

Pauletta the spider plants are doing very well

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6405487

this one is all twisted and doesn't look happy ? but has a new growth next to it . Should i just cut the twisted and keep the new one ?

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #6405493

i have no idea what this is, but its still alive and its pretty :)

Thumbnail by taynors

Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6405600

Sue,

Number 1 (with blooms) appears to be a cane begonia. These are really long lived, wonderful plants-also incredibly easy to prune or take cuttings for new pots. Outdoors in semi-shade they become almost shrub like over summer. Extremely tender tho, won't tolerate any cold weather (mid 40's is a stretch on the low temps it will tolerate)

Number 3: Syngonium-common name, Arrowhead plant/vine
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/66073/

Your plant doesn't appear to be from tissue culture, so it will vine all over. If you want a fuller pot, just trim it and stick the cuttings back in the pot. They root really well in water, too. In fact, you can actually just raise them in a vase of water, forget the dirt. haha (probably not recommended by horticulturists, but really pretty.)

#4 I think is a vining Pepperonia (sp)? No idea which cultivar.
It looks really happy to me!

I hope this helps!

I seldom contribute over here, but do keep up with all you ORVGers!

Sasha

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #6406166

thanks Sasha !!!
i m always amazed that they havn't died LOL i m not a green thumb person . i enjoy it but don't have the knack as some of the folks around here do :)
off to make a few phone calls and then i m in the nighty night zone
sleep well all
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #6406272

Sasha is a knowledgeable woman, I can barely pronounce the latin names, and she can even remember them, plus the common names too. Hidy Sasha!!

Well, I pretty well got that 3rd bedroom cleaned out, at least got all the plants moved to the garden shed. Tomorrow I will be potting up some Wandering Jew from cuttings that I had saved, and getting the rest of the room finished up.

I have to go get my driver's license first thing, I keep forgetting it. DH has to go get boat license and stop by the attorney's office to sign somthing for his DM's estate.

We had horrible storms late this afternoon. Was under a tornado watch, then at 4:30 under a warning, one sighted 3 miles from me. We went into hiding mode, but it passed and we got nothing more than some high winds and buckets of rain. Some places had some hail. I went out and pulled the car under the garage overhang, it is too full to put it inside.

DH just got some onion plants set out right before the storm, afterwards they are just sticking up, pretty as you please. Guess it was a good move.

Chele, hey girl glad that you are getting to work from home. That is sure neat. I am still keeping Craig in my t & p's for the second interview. We want to see recent Nolan pictures!!

Darius, if you have extra raspberry plants, I would love a couple, and if you can tell me what you want, I will see if I have it, or can get it.

Goshsmom, get them taxes all done, you are flirting with the deadline!

Sue beautiful plants. I usually don't have but a couple of plants in the house, I do better with the outside plant stuff.

Off to read some other threads, and will check in later, or tomorrow.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #6406865

Hi all...been reading.
Went to dr today finally! He thinks I may be allergic to the Rx eye drops now...geesh! So will stop them for 24 hrs. If better then...will wait another 24...and let him know. If not...then will get another Rx he prescribed...in case. Don't think I will EVER get over this stuff..whatever it is??
Nothing else going on here...but RAIN!! Had a thunder storm tonight ...at 43 degrees!!!
Supposed to warm up over night. That's fine with me!
Ok...off to bed here. Take care all...have a great night and a better tomorrow!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2009
11:53 AM

Post #6407690

Good morning
Bonnie yikes ! on the storm. Glad things are ok for you and the onions LOL :) sounds like your feeling better .
Marcy that is what happened to me ! i was allergic to the meds they gave me 'ACK " you poor thing. I feel for you girl.
Chelle many (())) and T&P for Craig for the interview.
We had a small thunder storm last night and lots of rain. I hope my rain barrels are filling up. Its still raining as i type ! ack
well i got a dishwasher guy coming to check out why my dish washer is making so much noise ! its a whisper quiet model and i can hear it in the next room ,door closed, tv on ect... very loud for a whisper quiet model ? hmmmm makes a very loud whirling noise like its straining to move ?
take care
later
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #6408147

Bonnie, I should have more raspberry plants although they may be babies. I can't think of anything I want, though. I'm trying to get some natives started across the creek where it's all tall grasses and weeds now... taller things like monarda, and coneflowers that will spread... (I have more monarda coming from the Appalachian RU in 3 weeks.) My one flower bed out front of the house (in full sun) is probably ready for some plants this year. So far it has 'Becky' shasta daisy (the tallest shasta, and doesn't need staking), a little columbine from Neal, a zebra grass, and some glads. That shasta isn't looking as good as the Alaska shasta I have elsewhere, though. Maybe it hasn't been warm enough yet?

I'd love some astilbe in that bed, don't know if any will take full sun. I want taller perennials along the middle, and shorter ones out to the edge, sorta cottage-style. (The bed is 8' wide and 28' long so I have lots of space to fill.)

Wonder of wonders... The Kid bought some flower seeds yesterday! I told her I'd help her plant them Thursday after the rain stops. Cosmos, Forget-Me-Nots, Batchelor Buttons, and I forget the other one. She has taken to noticing flowers in the yard, and lamented that all she sees are daffs. (She was here until mid-June last year but only paying attention to the boy de jour.) It's a start for her, anyway, and I'm pleased.

Marcy, here's hoping it is as simple as an allergic reaction. Been there. I have so many drug allergies it's seldom that I can be talked into taking something new.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6408303

Just passing through...goodmorning to all!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2009

Post #6408319

Oh, I meant to post this last night... I'm still working on family genealogy and this is the quote about the source of some information... you may get a chuckle from it.
Quoting:Source Bibliography: HOTTEN, JOHN CAMDEN, editor. The Original Lists of Persons of Quality; Emigrants; Religious Exiles; Political Rebels; Serving Men Sold for a Term of Years; Apprentices; Children Stolen; Maidens Pressed; and Others Who Went from Great Britain to the American Plantations, 1600-1700...

MAIDENS PRESSED??? LOL
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #6408454

LOL Darius on the maidens!!
Morning everyone. Well ...holding my breath as I say this...but I think we might have found the problem! I think it might have been allergic reaction to the med. My eyes already feel so much better!! Still pretty light sensitive...but hopefully that will go away soon.
Darius...I have planted that Becky shasta twice now. Just can't seem to keep it alive? I do have one coming...where I had planted 3. Makes me mad cause they weren't cheap!
My other Alaska daisies I NEVER have a problem with...they grow like weeds! Love 'em.! Had another shasta...can't think of the name offhand...that I liked. It too...didn't last? So now...I have yet another one...that I planted last fall. This time...only planted ONE...and I see it is coming back. We'll see!
Nothing big happening here today. I do see some sunshine starting to peak out though...wooohooo!!
Have to go to the library...out of books to read...that's a disaster! Always have to have something to read..or I can't stand it...lol!
And I'm gonna make pea soup for supper tonight.
My brother in SE Ohio told me to get some yellow split peas..that there was supposed to be something good for you in them. Well do you think I could find them????? He said he got his at Krogers. Went there last night...no yellow. Talked to the mngr...and he said it was probably a regional thing! Guess I will have to have DB send me some thru the mail! In the mean time...we will eat green!
Hope you all have a wonderful day.
Ohhhh and Darius...how about some tall phlox? I could bring you some of that? It is so pretty...blooms a long time...and smells WONDERFUL!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2009

Post #6408849

Sure, Marcy. Tall phlox would be good! Glad the eyes feel better already, :)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6408916

Had to go get my driver's license this morning, and have vacuumed the house and got that bedroom all cleaned, now to get some clutter out of it.

It is overcast and sprinkling rain, and chilly too, so nothing will get done outside today.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6408944

Marcy has a gorgeous tall phlox!
One of my favs.
Marcy the Tropicals will be winging it home here in a few weeks.
Except for a spider mite explosion they have done well.
(Seems they pick one plant and over the weekend cover it.
I spray they disappear then a few weeks late BAM another plant.)
In fact FAR better than I'd hoped.
The Brugs may be budding by RU time.

Ric
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #6408984

Hello all!
The last 2 weeks have been the opposite of heaven and could not type everything that did happen. The calm is finally here and can get on with life. I just wanted to let all the people that have needed T&P's I have sent them and have really enjoyed the pics and the regular talk. It has been my only real time reading this thread that I could forget the ugly stuff going on. Thank god my house family is so strong. My guy's and I have really been through the wringer.

I now can take care of the garden, puppies and chicks.

Just a quick thank you for keeping this thread going and being my "cyber friends"
Many Hugs!
George
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6408994

Ooooohhh Ric!!! So glad my 'babies' did good for you! I miss them already...lol...but Dave don't! LOL!
Oh well..guess I just can't have it all..but WHY NOT????? LOL!!
Oh and Darius...that phlox reseeds nicely too. It won't be no time and you will have a large patch of it! I have it right by my front door, and the summer evenings..it perfumes the whole living room, when we leave the door open!
It is shades of pink, purple, and white...all mixed together. I got it from a g/f that has TONS of it in her yard..and her mother's..next door. She said it was just an old fashioned phlox?
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6408996

((((((George)))))))))
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6409026

LOL Darius!

Marcy, glad your eyes are finally improving. The next time I'm at the food co op I could pick up some yellow split peas for you. They have all the colors of lentils too, love them too! Have you tried 'White Knight' shasta daisies? they only get about 18" tall, and have come back vigorously for me. I divided the clumps into several and can bring you some to the RU if you'd like.

Look at this ethereal beauty from Esther that opened today!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6409185

How beautiful! Is that an epimedium? (sp?)
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2009
6:50 PM

Post #6409535

Yep! Ain't she somethin'!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #6409563

Neal...good to see you!
And thank you for offering to get the split peas for me. We have several natural foods stores around our area...and I bet that's where I could find them? Let me check around here first ok?
And yes...would love some of those daisies! Tell me what I can bring you in return?
I'm really sorry about the roses...they are coming out of it..but slowly. And most froze back to about 10 inches above the ground!! Most everything else looks good around here now...but the roses!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #6409604

"Maidens pressed" were girls who were kidnapped (or sometimes they were sold by their families, or went willingly to pay a debt, etc.) in the UK and were offered (for money, of course) as wives (if they were lucky) in the US and other colonies. "Pressed" is short for "impressed", which is also the term used for boys who were taken by force off of the streets to work on naval ships. Not a pretty time in UK's maritime history!

Congratulations, Chele!! I missed your announcement earlier. (I should lurk more often. :-) ) I'm still praying that Craig gets a job soon, too!

Waves and hugs all around from the far southwest reaches of the ORV!!

This message was edited Apr 14, 2009 2:40 PM
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6409642

Taynor Sue, I gave you that last house plant and found I still have a label.

Philodendron "Brazil"
philodendron cordatum
Low Light
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6409706

Sure Marcy- no problem, just let me know if you can't find the peas. I'll pot up some of the Daisies for you, you'll love them- they're so neat and tidy in habit, like perfect little cushions covered in blooms. Don't think a thing of the roses, I'm seeing winter die back on some that usually aren't bothered too. A real good chance I'd kill 'em anyway, LOL. I'll be thinking on what you can bring me. Oh, I know...a yellow peony!!! LOL

George, sorry to hear there's been tough times. Glad things are looking up.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #6409778

George, chin up and chest out! Tomorrow is a new day. :)

I just dropped by for a quick update. Craig had his ultrasound this morning. They told him the Dr would have the results tomorrow or the next day. They called a couple of hours after he got home. He has gall stones. We go Friday for a surgical consult. Oh yay, not!

Tomorrow I have to enroll Maddie for kindergarten. It's hard to believe she is already 5. boo hoo.

Everyone else is doing just fine.

Back to work!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #6409881

LOL Neal on the yellow peony! Wish I could! Hmmm...let's see...I guess the only way to propagate peonies is to divide them? My yellow baby was just planted last fall...sooo...sorryyyyyy...lol!!! All that talk of tree peonies and herbaceous peonies being planted at the right height...made me go look at mine. It looks ok to me! ( i hope!)
Maybe in a year or two she will be ready to divide! Keep thinkin'!!!!

Edited to say...so sorry to hear about Craig, Chele!!! Maybe they can blast them away...without surgery! Hope so. My niece had that done.
My little GS goes to kindergarten this fall too. Hard to believe! He is changing so much right now. He was so lovey on Easter...lol!
That might have been because he was anxious to go outside and hunt eggs though...lol!

This message was edited Apr 14, 2009 4:06 PM
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #6409900

Hey Marilyn...hi!! And thanks for that info...very interesting!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #6409904

Chele, things could be worse, the gall bladder surgery is much different than it used to be. DH had 5 little incisions, and hardly knew that he had anything done.

George, sending hugs to you, sorry that things are not going well. Hope they settle soon.

Marilyn thanks for the explanation of pressed maidens. I sort of had an idea that it was something like that, as it was common to apprentice out children to learn a trade, why not to pay a debt also?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6410860

Ester i thought it was you. Hmmm i did move it over to another area. I saw on the leaves they were getting lighter like a bleached out look from to much sun. Thank you so much. I love it !!
((((((Geo )))))
LOL maidens pressed LOL so silly . I should tell my oldest DH that HA.
Chelle sorry to hear about the Gall stones ! yikes . poor Craig . T&P for you and him.
are you going to know what to do with yourself , when you only have 1 kid in the house next year !! LOL
well not much here
later
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6411669

Sue there you go again, referring to oldest DH, again, how many do you have? You are brave trying to have more than one at once!!

Marcy, I have ordered the tall phlox about 3 times, and it never comes back the next year. I have planted it in full sun, and good soil, watered when we had a dry season, and NADA. Would like to try them again, as I do love the fragrance. If you have extras, sure would love to try them again.

Got some more things stashed in the attic, and the bedroom is now ready for the furniture rearrangement. I am taking out the cedar chest which has all of my quilts stored in it, and will be using it for a coffee table. My current coffee table will go to DS, as will the entertainment center, when I find a suitable one.

Cold, rainy and windy day here, and nothing done outside. DH decided to go fishing this afternoon, and caught 3 a crappie, bluegill and a bass, but it was too cold to stay out any longer. For him to say this, it has to be cold.

Will be leaving early in the morning for a trip to Lexington, to see my Macular Specialist. So it will be noon, or after before I check in.

Good night everybody.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #6411805

Hey Bonnie..good luck tomorrow at the dr. I will be glad to bring you some phlox. I think this is a very old..maybe even ...wild variety..because it really is very hardy...nothing bothers it, etc. And it always increases every yr! It might get a little mildew..but thats about it.
Ok...off to bed here. Eyes still aren't 100%. He also said it may be some allergy too...and I think he's right about that too. Still have itching.
Nite everyone.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #6411879

Thanks Marcy, now you be thinking what I have that I you want. I have plenty of daylilies, but there are other goodiie out there. The Obedient plant threw all kinds of seed, and I have plenty of them. Have lanium. Will have to look and see what other things that are coming up.

Sure hope that your eyes will return to normal, given that you may be allergice to the meds, and then throw in the allergies.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2009
5:05 AM

Post #6412287

Hey, everyone - just now reading and catching up after a busy day.

Who gave me tulip bulbs at last year's roundup? Anyone? Do these look familiar? I knew I'd planted something by the garden arch, and these came up for me. :)

Thumbnail by gardenwife

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2009
5:09 AM

Post #6412295

I had my 2-week followup at the surgeon's today. He's pleased with how things looked, both the incision and the x-ray. He has me off another four weeks since my job can get pretty physical. I'm not quite cleared to drive. The pain and difficulty swallowing is normal and will take several more weeks to resolve; there is a lot of inflammation since they moved my esophagus, trachea and other tissue to the side in order to get at the vertebrae.

Check this out - my new x-ray. It's crazy how fast those digital machines work. I got the thing done and minutes later, the doctor came into the exam room with a laser-printed copy of the x-ray. Technology just amazes me!

Thumbnail by gardenwife

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2009
5:15 AM

Post #6412310

I'm SO glad my taxes are done-- now I just have to pick up the year's worth of papers scattered around. Mostly I'm glad they're done so I could catch up on everything at ORVG. Sorry to hear abt Craig, Chele, that's just what happened to my sister. She sees the surgeon Friday. Marcy-- I wonder if you're sensitive to the preservative in the eyedrops? I know they've improved them since the days of thimerisol, a mercury derivative, was used for contact lens solutions, but I don't know what's replaced it. Just a thought-- maybe half a thought.
George, I am so sorry life has been miserable, for whatever reason. But, buddy, look at it this way: at least you didn't have the misfortune of being a "maiden pressed!" Sheesh, Darius, that was really rich!
That epimedium is gorgeous! I tried to take some pictures of the 3 different frittilaria that I had blooming. Pictures are lousy but I'll probably post them on the blooms thread. I'll have plenty of time to do that because apparently it is NEVER going to warm up & stop raining.
Pat
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2009
5:21 AM

Post #6412324

Shoot, I forgot to say I'm sorry to hear Craig's got gallstones. This must be the week for it! Two people I know from church had theirs out today. The surgery really is a piece of cake - I had it done in, gosh, 2000.

George, whatever's been going on in your life, I hope it's settling down. You are a loving person and I know pains run deep in a loving heart. It's good to see you posting.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2009
11:45 AM

Post #6412751

LOL Marcy, I couldn't resist mentioning your coveted yellow peony! But seriously, I'd love to have some Phlox. I've had trouble with most I've planted here, but I think it may be the droughts we've had since I've been here. The ones I've had trouble with are in the front yard with hot afternoon sun, so I'll be trying some out back where they'll be shaded in the afternoon.

Geez Kimberly, that's amazing to see! Glad to hear that your discomfort is at least a normal part of the healing process, and that Doc says you're healing well.

Chele, wishing Craig the best with the gall stone surgery. What kind of symptoms has he had? Seems a lot of people have issues with gall stones after a rapid weight loss, have you noticed that?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #6412817

Checking in quickly. It's a busy day. :)

Thank you for the congrats, well wishes and surgery condolences. LOL

Craig's weight can go up and down 20 pounds without a notice unless he gets on the scale. He's 6'3"! We took him to the ER a couple of weeks ago because he felt awful. We were afraid he'd thrown another blood clot. He did actually see the triage nurse after about 45 minutes and his blood pressure was like 147/105. We waited in the ER for almost 3 hours before we got disgusted and left because they said it would be another 203 hours! The waiting room was full because they had a major trauma and were taking someone out on air care when we left.

It's normal for him to have stomach woes so we didn't think much about it being THAT. He's been off his RA meds for close to a year which is what finally prompted him to go to the Dr. The Dr. thought he had a 'pocket of acid' so he gave him a script for antacids (which insurance won't pay for!) and ordered the ultrasound. So that is where we are now. :(

He goes for his surgery consult on Friday and I guess we'll know more after that.

I gotta get back to work. You all have a great day!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2009
12:27 PM

Post #6412866

BOnnie LOL i did it again. *blush * i ment to say DD. LOL sheesh
yikes on the ER visit Chelle. Glad it finaly got diaagnosed.
well i think i gave you the tulips Neal ? i remember having some and i think i brought them ? i will have more on the fall RU from the same neighbor , she is giving me another boat load. ! yeah.
well got to get kids to school
later
sue
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #6412911

Goodmorning!

Chele, I sure thought I had posted after you announced your job, but it might have gotten lost in the shuffle. Congratulations on the new job, and hopefully Craig's will come through soon, too! Oh, Happy Days! Sorry to hear about the gall stones. Luckily with the advances in surgery techniques, it's not as difficult a recovery as it use to be. I think they started the laser surgery the year after I had my surgery. Mine was probably 20 years ago and left a 8" scar. I sometimes still have something like a muscle catch at the scar area. Glad to hear Nolan is doing so well!

(((George))), so sorry to hear you had challenges in your life. Hopefully that is all settled.

Kimberly, glad to hear your recovery is progressing well. Know you will be glad to get this behind you.

Bonnie, let us know what the doc has to say about you.

Marcy, hoping this morning finds you doing well. These springtime allergies sure wreck havoc on our plans.

Pat, yeah on finishing the taxes! I took ours to the post office on Monday. I tried doing ours for several years using a reliable online tax service, which is suppose to be idiot-proof. But apparently the IRS doesn't like us, as they audited us every year...well 2-3 years later for each year since 2001, so of course we had lots of interest and penalities added to the new amount that they came up with when they refigured them. Started using an accountant last year that charges us $400, but worth every penny!

Marilyn, Ester...so glad to see you both pop in!

Joyce, lots of party plans! How many years for your parent's anniversary?

Trying not to be too lengthy, but to those I didn't mention by name, hope all is well with you, too!

Toni? What's up?

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #6412949

Wow, Chele...another 203 hours???? That's a long wait! :o)

I had ONE gall bladder attack and I couldn't wait to get that thing out of there! Oh it was awful! I only had one stone, but it was huge. She had to enlarge the hole where they bring it out cause it was so big. Sure have felt better since then. I hadn't realized that I wasn't feeling good after meals until after that was out!

I took Dad to the orthopedist yesterday. He has a torn miniscus. He's to have outpatient surgery on May 7th. He's only planning on planting corn and limas this year, so I'll be helping with that. Their anniversary and Dad's birthday is tomorrow. Then the big family party on Saturday. You HAVE to celebrate when you turn 91 years old and celebrate 70 years of being wedded to each other! They dated for 4 years before they got married, too!

Bertie has a lot of wild phlox that comes up everywhere. Nobody told me they were hard, so I haven't had any problems with mine. I don't think mine are big enough to share this year since they just got moved last year. I have a lot of colors. Next year for sure.

Hello to everyone and prayers for those in need!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #6412995

Good Morning!

Chele, Craig will be just fine. I was in misery for about 6+ weeks, through all kinds of tests, with my gall bladder. I finally did some research online and diagnosed it myself, and only then did my p-p doctor concur. Saw the surgeon, and had it taken out the next morning. Easy out-patient surgery... at least for the folks I know who had theirs removed. (I ended up in ICU for 3 days. I'm sure they told me why, but I was too out-of-it to remember. It was probably linked to the not then diagnosed problems with my liver.) The only problem I really remember is that I tore my rotator cuff trying to get out of bed without anything/anyone to hold on to for support the first day I was home. THAT was painful for months!

Ric, you have a surprise coming in the mail from Missouri in a week or two.

Geo, sorry to hear you had a rough patch but glad it's behind you now. When is surgery?

Kimberly, cool film shot. Glad to know you are on track... in a few months you will have forgotten most of the discomfort and pain!

Pat, I always think I'll get the office debris sorted and put away after a project. Well, I usually do manage, but somehow the mess grows back immediately. Worse than an invasive plant!

I'm sick of being house-bound! The weather liars are saying warm and sunny beginning tomorrow through most of Saturday... I sure hope so!

Later...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6413848

Good morning all!... and thanks for the comments. Well...the old eyes are at it again...lol. I DO think I was allergic to that med though. But I think the conjunctivitis ...whatever kind it is...is still there. My eyes are all red again. Most of the itching has stopped...but they are red and watery, etc. The good news is...today at 5:00 will be 48 hrs. That's when the dr said..if they hadn't cleared up a LOT...to get the new Rx filled. Geez...do I even want to try again??????
The strange this is...I have never been allergic to anything..except sulfa drugs...and there is none of that in there...I checked with the pharmacy.
Yes Pat..it is probably the preservative. I was an optician for yrs...and remember many being allergic to it.
Joyce...is the 'wild phlox'...blue? I think most wild phlox is. This is a tame plox...that maybe went wild? OH heck..I don't know! LOL. I have some of the blue too. It only blooms in the early spring though...and likes shade.
Neal...yes you may have some phlox! Mine is mostly in the sun...with a little shade.
Well..I am hoping those weather liars are right about the next 3 days or so...that it will be warming up and sunny. I sure need to get busy outside! And so does Dave!
Joyce...meant to say...congrats to your parents! Not many make it that long...with the marriage I mean. A great milestone for sure!
Ok...bout lunch time here. I made some good egg salad yesterday...and it's waiting to be eaten again!!!
Have a great day everyone!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #6413863

Yes they are telling us 70's this weekend ? we shall see
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2009

Post #6414032

Back from the Macular Specialist, and news not as good as last time. The right eye has deterioriated greatly, but still nothing that can be done, until it changes from dry to wet. Have to go back in 4 months, and let them prod again. Eyes still dilated, so it is hard to see to type. Will BBL
BertieL
Franklin, OH

April 15, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6414082

I have different colors of wild phlox. Will gladly bring some to the RU, for anyone who wants it. Have been trying to think of something to share.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #6414358

Bonnie :( i m sorry to hear about the eye that is deteriorating more than expected. T&P for you :)
well builder just left and he explained to me , the outside wall socket is a sensitive one and only use 3 prong plug in thingys. Makes sense. I had two prongs thingys pluged in. LOL duh.
so it was nice of him to come and check it out.
i m bored
go away rain. I want to play :)
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #6414664

Hi again everyone.
Just a little more info on the phlox here.
The phlox that I have is called Phlox paniculata. Now...having said that...there are many, many hybrids of this plant...which to many, are new and improved phlox plants.
I have the original kind...NOT a hybrid. This blooms in shades of pink, purple, and white...and is a perennial. It also drops seed and propagates that way. It can be invasive...if you want to call it that. I personally, like the way it keeps increasing itself.
Then there is the blue 'wild phlox'. Phlox divaricata. It usually stays about 12" tall...and is more like a ground cover type plant. It is also called woodland phlox...and likes shade. It too, increases...but not rapidly.
Then also...there is Dame's Rocket..or sweet Rocket. Hesperis matronalis. This is not a phlox, although some think it is. It looks like phlox...except if you look closely it has only 4 petals...whereas phlox always has 5 petals. It is considered by many to be an invasive plant. I personally like it too..lol.
ALL of these plants smell wonderful! And all are very pretty!
Phlox paniculata 's bloom time is usually July - October
Phlox divaricata's bloom time is early spring
Hesperis matronalis's bloom time is late spring/early summer
Google all of them...and you will see the differences.
Not trying to be a know it all here...just wanted to share.!

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2009
7:13 PM

Post #6414787

I never met a Phlox of any kind I didn't like! They're floofy...I like floofy, LOL. I'd love some starts of all the Phlox species. I've got Hesperis budding now that I wintersowed last year. I've always loved them, but this is my first time growing it. I'd like to isolate some white Hesperis, seems they're always growing in a mix and have cross pollinated so you get a mix no matter which plant you collect seed from (from what others have reported).

Bertie, those wild Phlox will be excellent RU plants!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #6414836

Me too Neal!
And I forgot about the creeping phlox...Phlox subulata. It's pretty too! Just wish it would bloom longer. I guess that's why I like the phlox I have. It really blooms a long time!
That and the smell..lol. It's out of this world!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #6414903

I'm with you, March and Neal... can't have too many phlox. Bring 'em on, Bertie!!
BertieL
Franklin, OH

April 15, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #6415007

When we bought this house in 1997 this phlox was here in some areas
but I have transplanted it all over. I can say next to my roses it is my favorite. I have the early and late blooming phlox. You all are right the smell is out of this world Just love it.
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6415063

I would like to have some phlox from Bertie and Marcy
please, and thank you
I'll have to find you guys something

Pauletta
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #6416078

Hey Pauletta! You got it! Good to see you posting!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #6416486

Phlox for us too please.
Robyn loves it... and we know Marcy's phlox!

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6416530

I was out wandering around this afternoon looking to she what all is up, what has multiplied, and for sure, I have lots of Obedient plant, and the chelone. They surely did multiply. Plenty of daylilies, with no names. Lirope, a few lilac sprouts, hostas that will need to be divided, that is just a short list. Sure wish it would warm up, and the weather liars are saying that the latter part of the week, and next week. So maybe we can all be outside playing next week.

Joyce, yikes on the celebrations. Yep 91 is a milestone, but the 70 years of marriage is almost unheard of. I am sure that they will be all smiles. Give them hugs from us.

Marcy, sure hope that the new meds will make a difference in your eyes. Sometimes an allergy will just pop up, where you have never had one before, so don't discount that. Sure hope you get some relief soon.

My DMIL gave me some starts of some dianthus several years ago, I have planted it around the swimming pool, and it is the sweetest smelling flower when it blooms. I am trying to put highly scented things by the pool and deck where we spend a lot of our time in the summer. So if anybody has anything that will fill that bill, I would be interested in any trades like that.

Received a call from the Dr this afternoon, and he just got my test results back, but said he would need some time to really examine them. So should hear from him in the next few days. Here's hoping that there is somthing that can be treated, and something that I can live with.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6416667

Bonnie T&P for good news with the dr. Thinking of you . :) (((())))) my friend .
good night to all and to all a good night
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6416752

Thanks Sue.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #6416827

Bonnie all the best to you and your eyes.
You got it Ric!
Ok...went and filled the new Rx. It's a diff antibiotic plus a steriod. Not so sure I like the sound of that? Have had one dose...and seems to be helping some...too early to really tell. Will have another one before bed. He said if this didn't work in 3 days...I was to call..and he would refer to an opthamologist.
Talked to my brother in OSU hospital. He is doing well...may come home on Friday. I could hear in his voice...right now..he is just glad to be alive. I remember the feeling well.
I know Bonnie...you could trade your swimming pool for the phlox!!!! Yeahhh!!!! LOL!
I love that dianthus too. I have some that is just the old fashioned pinks...and smells like cinnamon.
Ok..off to bed here.
Huggs to all.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #6416862

Marcy, ask for anything else and it is yours! Even the DH, not my dog or the swimming pool. My first born, but not my DGD. There are just certain things that I am not willing to part with. Great news that the new med may be the thing to get this all cleared up for you.

Off to bed, so that I can be bright eyed and bushy tailed for the grocery shopping tomorrow!!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2009
11:21 AM

Post #6417667

Marcy and Bonnie, so sorry about your eye woes. :O(

Bonnie, I will have one or two Brugmansias for the RU (I think) would one of those work for the pool area?

Bertie has pink, white and blue/purple phlox. The wild ones do bloom much earlier than the named varieties. I need to get some of those from her...have shovel, will travel... ;o)

Today is the BIG day for Mom and Dad. Unbelievable...70 years...they called yesterday and asked if we would join them at the Manchester Inn for lunch today, their treat. They just wanted someone to help them celebrate. After dinner tonight they have a little birthday celebration at Otterbein for the April birthday people. Cake and ice cream, pictures, etc. So since today is Dad's 91st birthday they will go to that. I'm sure they'll get lots of hugs for making 70 years together, too.

Pauletta, I'd love some coleus if you have enough...
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6418104

Goodmorning!

Marcy, glad the new med seems to be working better!

Bonnie, LOL on DH and first born comment. Hoping good news comes your way from the doctor!

Joyce, enjoy the celebration with your folks.

Alright, got me wondering if I have any phlox back home or not. Guess I'll have to stop by the nursery nearby to pick up some to put in a pot. Got to make sure I have some to take home, just in case I don't have any.

Enjoy whatever sunshine comes your way today! :-)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6418870

Cookie tell Mom and Dad CONGRATS!

Darius Mo package? Ohhhhhh... Show me! lol!

Been doing taxes and stuff the last few days.

I hate Family gatherings for one simple reason.
3-4 days after I get whatever the linolium lizards picked up in Day Care or Elementary School.
This time it's a cold.
I've coughed up stuff I breathed 15 years ago I think.

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6418871

Cookie tell Mom and Dad CONGRATS!

Darius Mo package? Ohhhhhh... Show me! lol!

Been doing taxes and stuff the last few days.

I hate Family gatherings for one simple reason.
3-4 days after I get whatever the linolium lizards picked up in Day Care or Elementary School.
This time it's a cold.
I've coughed up stuff I breathed 15 years ago I think.

Ric

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6418896

Ric... now a surprise wouldn't be a surprise if I told you, would it?
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6418904

Good afternoon all!
Awww Bonnie...I just knew that would be your answer...lol! Oh well..I DO have my hot tub! That's just a mini swimmin' pool! And I don't want your DH...got one of those...don't want your first born...got one of those too! So I will have to think on it a bit! LOL!
Well its gorgeous here today...and I'm gonna work outside!! Woohoo!!
Ric...we heard ya the first time!!! LOL! And boy I know how that goes. Get around the kids...and whatever they got...you got!!
Hope you all have a great day out there!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #6419294

Whew... don't know what's wrong with me. I work outside for about 15 minutes and get the icky-spits feeling and extreme fatigue. Come inside, check DG and it clears up (sorta) in a few minutes. Back outside, pot up a few more plants, and wham... Shouldn't be low blood sugar, I ate 2 eggs and toast about 1-2 hours ago. I think I'm going to take a nap.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6419421

There seems to be a lot of allergens in the air here. When I'm out for just a short time the eyes start itching and watering, throat and sinuses feel raw and scratchy, and if I stay out my head starts aching and start feeling almost feverish. I figure tree pollen or mold spores must be high now. Come inside and snot and spew for an hour or so and start feeling normal again.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #6419705

Good Afternoon!

Allergens are bad out this way too. Yuck!

Just popped in to show off my garden fence that I put together this morning from downed tree trunks along our dirt road. Used some rebar stakes to hold the upright poles, then wired all the trunks to them. It is basically only for looks and to outline the garden. I've been debating for weeks about whether to plant a garden here or not. I am helping a friend with her garden, but it just wasn't the same and I wanted my own. This will be a mixed garden with both veggies and flowers.

AND...while visiting my friend and her garden a little while ago, she pointed out Blackberries growing wild in her yard and said they are all up and down her dirt road. So, when I came home, I drove real slow up our dirt road and saw hundreds of Blackberry plants. Yippee! Well, maybe, I've never tasted them but everybody said they are awesome! I'm going to try potting a few little plants to take home when we leave.

Hope ya'll are enjoying some sunshine!

Thumbnail by msrobin

valrita

April 16, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #6419722

Darius, I hope you feel better.

Msrobin, nice fence! Looks great. Blackberries are yummy.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6419860

Joyce I didn't answer your question about a brug. I have never had one, and would need detailed instructions about caring for one. I have a friend who brings hers in every winter, and honestly, I don't have room to do that, nor the energy to do it either. So, if is very labor intensive, I am wondering if it would be worth it. Please give me your opinions.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6420061

Robin, that's using the old noodle to build an enclosure. :) Looks fine for your short-term use!

I watched TV for an hour, and then slept for about 10 minutes. It could be seasonal allergens, but that's not my typical reaction to them. I'm ready to go out again; hope at least I can get the 3 Nanking cherries planted. Holes are dug, I just have to mix the clay with organic compost and trace minerals... and bring in a load of firewood. My room cools off so much when it gets below 40º at night...

Lou, I didn't expect you to trade ALL those plants to me, any one of them would have been fine. Thanks.
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #6420386

Just a note to let you know I'm keeping those in need in my thoughts and prayers.

The sun finally came out this afternoon and it turned into a beautiful day. Took some pictures of my blooms. Here's what springtime in Indiana is.

Thumbnail by dispatcher1

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6420458

How pretty! Your blooms are farther ahead than ours, Lou. I do have the creeping phlox beginning to bloom, but my lamium isn't yet.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6420489

Hey everybody!
I see a lots been going on. Forgive me for not checking in. Busy..busy.

Well Monterey is no more. The kids are all moved to RI and are calling me every 5 minutes giving me blow by blows on the unpacking headaches. Lt is on leave until May 18th and they drove all the way from Monterey by way of Disneyland and visiting family in Anaheim, Oklahoma, Indiana, and of course here. Oprah nipped at Alex and I thought Derek was gonna kill my dog. But he didn't and everyone is back in love. Elijah (the little one) isn't scared of her which is how to deal with her but Alex acts like she is a pit bull.

Garden is going strong. Perennials are coming up well. Got taters and onions planted and all of my okra, squash, melons, cukes, maters and peppers are sown and sprouting happily. The weather up here is cooling out finally and I will be able to get some carrots cabbage, lettuce and my greens out soon.

Other than that business is going ok. I have a lot on my plate with this which can be lucrative but tiring. Now that family stuff is all done I can dig in like I need to to get caught up,

So just saying hey.

Hugs and Love to all who need it.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6420526

Good to see you Toni...

Time to move outta here...

We are continued to here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/976210/

This thread is History!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #6420533

Toni we missed you . Glad the kids are all moved in and settling . Poor Oprah was scared by the big ol'man did he scare her ? :)
closed up the GH and got some potted plants moved over there. I don't know if they will live but its worth a shot.
gonna hit bed early tonight
later
sue

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America