Anyone know what kind of ducks I have? (and other ramblings :)

My local farm store was practically giving away their poultry yesterday, and I bought these two "ducks" for fun. Can anybody recognize the breed?

They are about 8" and appear to be very young (they have no "true feathers" yet).

Thumbnail by dave
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

They look like healthy young 'quacking' ducks, a rare American breed that quacks, swims and waddles a good deal.

(Border Collies herd ducks)

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

White ducks... =0)
I think you'll be able to get a better idea once they feather out.

Thanks - I'll post another picture in a month or two when these birds start looking like their adult counterparts.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

If you bought them at a feed store and they are all sunny yellow..Chances are they are going to be Pekins.... If they change color as their feathers come in look them up here...

This is one of the best chick/duck sites out there...

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Pekins/BRKPekin.html

They are very popular sellers in feed stores and make good pets.

Ginger

Ahh, that's it. Definitely Pekin Ducks. Every detail is exactly the same as the pictures. Thank you!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Are you "The Dave"?

If so.. nice job. I love it here.

Ginger

Yes indeedy. And thank you for the kind words, and for identifying my ducklings!!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

(Border Collies would love to herd for you)

Ahh, the april fool's joke. Sure, box that dog up and send him down. :-)

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Hehehe, just looking for a response! If you seriously decide you want one, dmail me. We'll see what we can do.

(we will now shut down the subliminal link)

This message was edited Apr 7, 2009 7:28 PM

I think we have all the dogs we can handle right now. Between our own dog (a German shepherd), and the local feral population that is starting to form packs, I have all I can handle.

Nowadays I keep a rifle in the truck at all times, unfortunately.

It really is unfortunate that we can't trade animals in the same way we trade plants. I'd love to trade cattle, goats, chickens, etc...

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Uhmmm.. You can send chickens/ducks/geese/turkeys..even adults ones in the mail :)

They might get huffy about a goat or a cow.

Ginger

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Really watch those packs of dogs around your calves. They are worse than wolves because they have no natural fear of humans. I'm sure you know all this but it makes me feel a bit better having said it? How is your herd? Any more calves due?

We've had several new calves on the ground this spring, I think 3 of them. (Not counting our jersey heifer that was born last November).

I am very aware of the dangers of a pack of dogs. Last year we lost a bunch of goats to those devils. Nowadays I keep a loaded AR-15 (a semi-auto rifle that holds up to 30 rounds at a time) in my truck at all times. Thankfully, in Texas that's perfectly legal. :)

I'm ready in case I see dogs on my property.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

We have those problems.

That's why I keep the two little donkeys with the goats. They were $45 ea at a meat auction and it's the best $$$ I've spent on livestock protection.

I've heard llamas are good too....

Ginger

Thumbnail by beadmom

Lots of people around here give donkeys away. I've always wanted one (or two) but don't like an extra mouth to feed in the winter... I may just break down and get a jack though.

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

Dave,

We are tiring of our chickens due to my husband's health issues. Too much work! We are going to be selling them. I could make you a deal and we could meet in Palestine for the exchange if you are interested in them.

BTW do you have a start of a corkscrew vine? I saw your photo of it and I really would like to have one.

The flea markets charge $10.00 per chicken, but I would be willing to take half that price for the hens and give you the roosters if you are interested. You will of course have to bring me some eggs to the RU when we have them. LOL

LMK

Charlene

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Lots of people everywhere give donkeys away once they realize they're not a horse.....a different mentality and very smart.

Donkeys do better in twos. They are very social with each other....

Little ones (minis) don't eat much and will make up for their cost buy not having to replace other livestock :)

They can eat cheap hay. Alflafa give males bladder stones. I've only once ever seen a donkey colic and there has not been a case recorded of West Nile in a donkey.

Easy keepers and a lot of fun. They can be trained to haul stuff around the garden. We have made a harness for Foster and we can load a tarp with yard weeds and he pulls it to the burn pile.

Ginger

Alright, you've talked me into it. I'll do it next time I get a chance. :)

Charlene, alas I'd love your offer but I've got pretty much as many chickens as my coop will support, and I don't have the time to build a second coop. Please go ahead and post them on craigslist or pineystar.com or something, where I'm sure you'll find some crazy people who'll buy them all for $10 apiece.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

YIPPEEEEE!!!!!

You can ask me anything about donkeys, I was the President of The Central Oregon Donkey Association for 5 years.

Ginger

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

Dave, I will take your advice and get them posted. You didn't answer my question about the corkscrew vine. I would gladly trade you something for a start of that vine. I remember you guys were looking for ground covers last year. I can get some ivy or asiatic jasmine or some purple verbena that is wild, I have four different types of that. LmK

I suppose you will be at the RU in Jacksonvile, right?

Charlene

Charlene,

Sorry about that, I forgot to answer that question. Alas, I have no corkscrew vines. It is one of my all time favorite plants, but the thing is to poor at over-wintering that I almost always end up losing them through neglect. I quit asking people to send me a cutting each spring.

One year I'll get one and make it a priority to keep it alive. Until then, I have to suffer. ^_^

I'll be at the roundup indeed!

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

Killing tenders is very easy. Keeping them going until you are really sure winter is gone is tough. We will both suffer until we find another.

I'll see you in Jacksonville.

Charlene

Quoting:
We will both suffer until we find another.

This is true! Let's make a pact that the next person to obtain one, and is able to propagate it, will set aside that cutting for the other!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Ohhhh..is this a spit in yer hands kinda pact????

Ginger

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

It's a deal Dave. BTW, just one little hint you gave me on propagating crepe myrtles has made all the difference. I have propagated bunches since you told me the secret of sticking them like a tomato and taking the cuttings from the bottom growth. Thanks a bunch for that!

Charlene

Great! Propagating crepe myrtles is fun. Once I ended up with several flats of cuttings and then I didn't know what to do with them. I had over a hundred crepe myrtles. I ended up selling almost all of them in a garage sale.

This summer try your hand at collecting seed and starting them that way. They grow surprisingly well by seed and bloom the first year, so you can see the variety of colors. Keep your favorites and give away the rest at roundups. ^_^

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Dave,
You'd do well to get a jack or 2. They don't need grain most of the year and only a handful in the winter. In fact, the only problem I've seen donks have is with their feet because they were fed too much. They will founder. But with dog problems like yours I'd sure look into them.

I Love Ky gun laws. Carrying a side arm is legal as long as it is not concealed. A permit for a concealed weapon only takes a class and a clean record to obtain. I used to hike a lot in the mountains alone or with my dog and DGS so I carry a pistol. We always take them when we go trailriding too. Nearly everybody does.

I'm still thinking about getting a dwarf goat for milk. I've been reading about making cheese and I am really getting interested.

There are a lot of people in Texas trying to get the law changed so we can openly carry out in public. Getting a concealed carry license here is easy, though (it's similar to KY. Take a class, pay $140 and then wait for about 6 months), so that takes away a lot of people's motivation to work to get the open carry laws changed.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It doesn't take nearly that long here but I'm not sure what the price is. I'm thinking $50 but I could be wrong about that. It may be $150. I like being able to protect me and mine should the need arise.

Quoting:
I like being able to protect me and mine should the need arise.

Thumbs up. I carry my Kimber Ultra CDP II every day, all day. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. It's in a holster on my side as I'm typing this. ^_^

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

CajuninKY ~ the TX permit of $140 is for a four year permit. On the renewal, there is a four hour refresher course on the laws and updating the changes in the law and the cost drops to $70 for the next five years. These rates are half price for anyone 60 or older. It IS a good thing! 8 ) Wish all states would do it. I believe there are now 28 states that honor the TX permit too.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2009 7:07 PM

podster, there's legislation in Austin right now that will create a "permanent CHL" that has no expiration date. I hope that it passes (I think it will) and when I renew in a couple more years, I'm going to get the permanent one.

I have not monitored that as closely as I should this year... do you know the bill number so I can research it?

Thanks I had just found it and need to read thru it. I will have an opinion after I read on it. With the difficulty the DPS is having handling the volume of applications they are overwhelmed with, this could be a solution.

This proposed bill seems to be a natural progression after the last change where a permit holder could waive one renewal class if they had been thru two or more renewal courses. The negatives would be no checks on mental or physical capabilites, personal responsibility on staying abreast of the changes in the law and continuing proficiency with their handgun.

Also wondering what stand the atf will take on a perpetual licensee regarding waiving the instant nics background checks. That is a comfortable anonymity that many would not give up. I will wait to see the final determination before I commit to a perpetual license but will maintain the current chl. Thanks for mentioning this bill and apologies for "pirating" the thread.

Good eye. The perpetual license will not include the NICS exception. This is the only downside I can see.

It doesn't matter to me, though, as even without NICS checks, you are still being recorded by the dealer with a 4473. So, NICS isn't the registration, it's the 4473 that you need to be concerned with.

The only way to get a gun "off the books" is to buy from another individual, face to face, without a paper trail. I'm actually working in my off time in developing a small classifieds site specifically for East Texas, largely because of craigslist's shortcomings (among other major issues, they don't allow firearms listings).

Hmm, we really did get off topic here, didn't we? ^_^ At least I'm the one who started this thread.

And are we dabbling on the edge of politics? HMmm? I work with this daily... what in particular is your aversion to the 4473?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images