Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
luv2pickseeds
Augusta, WV

April 5, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #6367694

HELP! Can anyone help me, I'm looking for a southern butter bean where the seeds are speckled or might be the actual name, but not sure because it has been many years since I have seen them. I'm not sure if this is an heirloom, but I'm assuming it is. If anyone knows what it is I am talking about or can point me in the right direction on Dave's Garden site I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for the help!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 5, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #6367789

I ran some searches. The best I can come up with is this site. They are selling the beans for cooking, but they would grow. You may have to eat most & plant some. LOL!
http://www.southwesternproduce.com/online_sales.htm
Go down on the pictures to find them. Last one in left hand row.
Bernie
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #6367925

You have two major choicees, The Florida Speckled Butterbean, which is a speckled pole baby lima. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/40298/ and the Dixie Speckled Butterpea (a bush small thick lima) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/38563/ The large lima Christmas/Calico is sometimes called the Giant Florida Speckled lima. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/40283/ In addition there are a few similar variations out there under the "heirloom" category.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6431953

Farmerdill, which yield more per plant the bush varieties or the pole varieties? I have room for both.

Thanks

Jerry

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #6433640

This looks like an interesting speckled butter bean: Jackson Wonder Butterbean
http://www.southernexposure.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=14101&Category_Code=LIMA
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #6434340

darius, do I need to be a member to purchase from them?

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #6435045

texas/jerry, to answer your other question above, bush beans, whether snaps, lima, butterpea or butterbean tend to produce for a short period of time then quit. Pole beans will produce all thru the season until killed by a frost/freeze. Some varieties will slow down during times of high temps though. If you want an ongoing crop then go with pole beans.

I'm sure I have some speckled butterbeans in my "larder" if you are interested. Let me know how many you are looking for and I'll check the quantity on hand.

Shoe
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2009
3:12 AM

Post #6435088

Let's see Shoe...If I set up a six foot four pole Tepee and plant four beans around each pole then I could use 16 beans. That will give me enough fresh beans for a couple meals and enough dry ones for next years planting.

Gee Thanks,

Jerry
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2009
3:24 AM

Post #6435130

Hehehe, I'm sure I can muster up 16 beans, but I think I'll send a few more, just in case some Texas jack rabbits eat bean plants.

Speckled butter beans are very prolific, I'm sure you'll get far more than a few meals. I'll go so far as to say you just may bless me out after too many nights of sitting on your front porch shelling bean after bean after bean. ;>)

Will be in touch. Time for me to head up to the house, content that I was able to sow a couple rows of Purple Hulls and some Northeaster pole snaps today. In a week or so the butter beans and butter peas go in. (And don't worry, Farmerdill, I'll keep the butterpeas isolated from the butter beans!)

Happy Day to All!
Shoe
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2009
4:05 AM

Post #6435292

Haha. Shoe you just told me something that brought back memories. I remember those LONG days shelling ENDLESS peas and beans on the porch when I was a kid. Now if I were so lucky to have a big bunch it would be in the AC with something on TV.

I also remember some occasional deformed butter peas. Now from your post above I'm thinking they were saved seed crossed with butter beans.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #6436114

Mornin', Twiggy. Yes, nowadays the AC makes bean shelling a bit more pleasant, eh? Those deformed peas/beans may have been the result of incomplete pollination, or even bugs; I eat them regardless! Love dem beans!

Woke up to rain here today, perfect to jumpstart my bean crop. What a nice Spring we've been having here this year. I hope everyone else is enjoying theirs, too.

Shoe

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 20, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #6436204

I planted a big long row of Dragon Tongue beans this year. Probably plant another row or two later. They are a wax been, but you can also leave them for shelling. They get big & ugly. Yellow with purple streaks. They are fabulous cooked. Everybody that tried them came back for more. They said they were the best fresh beans they ever ate.
I found this picture, but they must be dry because fresh are much brighter.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 20, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #6436215

Shoe, we've had a nice spring so far. We have a lot of our garden planted. High tunnels are full! Had a nice shower Saturday evening. We were getting plenty dry.
Cool & cloudy this morning.
Bernie
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2009
1:04 PM

Post #6436232

Purty beans, Bernie. I grew those several years back. Not sure if I saved seeds or not but they were pretty tasty. I really need to put up some more trellises here and there for beans, I'd sure like to stand up and pick much better than doing the "constant crouch" for bush beans!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #6436372

texasrockgarden, looks like Shoe has you all set for speckled butter beans! However to answer your question, I don't think membership is required to order from Southern Exposure. I have ordered from them, and never been a member.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 27 Sep 15, 2014 5:50 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America