Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Who Did That? Identifying Insect Damage: RE: Torn veggie leaves

Communities > Forums > Article: Who Did That? Identifying Insect Damage
bookmark
Forum: Article: Who Did That? Identifying Insect DamageReplies: 0, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
VtRoots6440
Montpelier, VT

April 6, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #6370343

Insect pests, a constant battle for many (Japanese beetles are mine). However, my constantly torn leaves (with/tiny leaf pieces hanging) of late spring spinach, swiss chard & some lettuces were driving me crazy in my careful search of insects. No excrement & nothing described w/ the insects shown in article above. Took me 2 yrs. to find the culprits. Nestling down against a warm stone wall that backs my 6 raised beds, w/butt on also warm stone paths between them, I was reading a book on a cloudy, cold day. (Great place to observe hummers ~ what-in-general is going on in your garden.) Bird 'burble', flashing yellow, rustle in my greens. Huh? It was a small group of Gold Finches - flying in, one after the other to hit my 'salad bar' with large tears, one after the other or 3 at a time of about 9. (Our summer camp has so many birdfeeders, all with sunflower hearts that all birds love ~ ~ ~ what was their problem??) This also occurred during the summer before they nest in Aug. Answ. was lightly laid remy cover the hottest part of the day. So, don't just think of birds just going after fruited trees and shrubs, but may be playing 'sneaky' in other parts of your garden.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Who Did That? Identifying Insect Damage Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant chewing insects redladybug 3 Mar 30, 2009 8:57 PM
Blister Bugs grits74571 0 Mar 30, 2009 12:22 PM
webworms vossner 1 Mar 30, 2009 2:56 PM
Good Article DonM47 1 Mar 30, 2009 7:38 PM
Yellow caterpillar mamasita 0 Mar 30, 2009 9:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America