-
AuthorContent
pifano
Milano
Italy

April 6, 2009
10:58 AM

Post #6371020

I usually store empty mineral water bottles befor any holiday or travelling plan.

According to the size of the plastic bottle, make 2 or more very small holes (with a needle or similar) in the bottom of the bottle. Fill the bottle with water, turn it upside down keeping it closed with one hand and push the bottle neck into the pot. The water will drop into the earth very slowly (it all depends on the size of the holes) and keep the plant in good shape for a number of days.

It does not look nice, but it works!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6372067

Good idea!

Did you get earthquaked today? My sister is in Lucca!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6372572

Another great article, Suzanne, lots of clever ideas. We are getting ready to go away on a trip and some of these would be useful. Now if only it were so easy to get my dogs taken care of!
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #6374606

Pifano, thanks for the great tip- I'm sure that will help other people as well. I sure hope you are safe and sound over there. Betty, that's always my problem too...where do the dogs go? Can't much put them on a drip system! lol
Lorenesgirl
Prior Lake, MN

April 18, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6426280

Thanks for the great information. It came along at just the right time so I could share it with a friend who will be vacationing soon. Do you think the diapers might help inground plants that need lots of water? I thought I might line the sides of the hole when planting. Maybe it would be good for one season.
Malteser
Qormi
Malta

August 22, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #6976687

For the bottle system to work you have to punch a tiny hole with a needle on the bottom of the bottle so that air can replace the water.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Caring for potted plants while you're away Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Caring for your plants.... MiniMoo_ 0 Apr 7, 2009 7:19 PM
Caring for seedlings while you're away bethhick 2 Apr 11, 2009 3:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America