Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Canít Grow Bell Peppers? Hereís a Ringing Endorsement for Some Alternative Sweet Pepper Varieties: NEW TO GARDENING - STUFF NOT GROWING

Communities > Forums > Article: Canít Grow Bell Peppers? Hereís a Ringing Endorsement for Some Alternative Sweet Pepper Varieties
bookmark
Forum: Article: Canít Grow Bell Peppers? Hereís a Ringing Endorsement for Some Alternative Sweet Pepper VarietiesReplies: 1, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
THICKFINE
Memphis, TN

April 6, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #6372901

Hello All, I'm a newby! My son brought home a cabbage plant from school that he is supposed to grow and I bought some red and orange pepper plants from the store. Neither of them seem to be growing. The cabbage leaves are looking kinda powdery I guess and the pepper leaves are brown toward the ends but I see a tiny new one coming out the middle. But neither of them seem to be getting bigger. They have plenty of water and sunlight. I'm doing a container garden and would like a lot of success. Any advice?

Thanks

Thumbnail by THICKFINE
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #6373314

Welcome to DG! I hope you'll decide to subscribe, because you'll find lots of answers in some of the other forum here -- container gardening, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, vegetable gardening. In the meantime, the beginner's vegetable gardening forum should be helpful to you.

You might be in a much warmer zone, but I'm still a good 6 weeks away from time to plant out peppers... even if they don't get damaged by frost, if it's not warm enough they'll just sulk. Cabbages should do better in cooler weather, but I haven't grown them myself.

Plenty of water & sunlight is a good start, though! Looks like you've got 2 bell pepper plants in a 5 gallon bucket with nice potting mix... that should work out fine. You might consider adding a tomato cage to the bucket (1 will work for 2 pepper plants) in case they start trying to flop around on you. Just checking, but be sure your buckets have holes in the bottom for drainage.

Have fun with your plants this summer!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Canít Grow Bell Peppers? Hereís a Ringing Endorsement for Some Alternative Sweet Pepper Varieties Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gypsy Pepper seeds from Critter, at cost critterologist 52 Apr 25, 2008 4:29 PM
very nice article Dutchlady1 10 Mar 4, 2011 7:08 AM
Pepper growing secrets jsw45807 3 Mar 4, 2008 7:49 PM
Peppers rosann1242 1 Mar 3, 2008 10:03 PM
Critterologist I have a question for you mylillie 12 Jul 17, 2010 10:43 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America