Gymgirl's ebuckets...BocaBob's coir in Arizona

Glendale/Parks, AZ

Thanks for the inspiration.

Thumbnail by rtl850nomore
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Grow, baby, grow !!! Did you know HD matched the price of Lowes 5 gallon buckets $2.79 I think. Both companies basically cut their prices in half. But only HD has HOMER !!!!

Glendale/Parks, AZ

Yeh, that is what I paid for my Homer's. What color are the Lowe's, I don't get there often. I would rather have white to reflect what will soon be very hot sun.

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

White or gray

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

WOW! You mean I played a part in this? How? I don't remember!

LOVE the Anasazi Indian on the wall (we use their software products here)

Linda

Glendale/Parks, AZ

hmmmmm...let me count the posts you made Gymgirl regarding ebuckets that I read with ever growing enthusiasm. My southwest soil is not very tolerant and grow bags just don't seem like they would hold up in this dry dry heat. ebuckets seemed to be the perfect solution to extending my gardening space. When you asked about the need for crop rotation that did it for me. It was the solution I had been seeking. Crop rotation has always been a problem for me since I garden in a small city lot. Again, thanks for the inspiration

rtl850nomore,
you've got a dmail.

Missouri City, TX

Being a restauranteur - we toss the pickle buckets in the dumpster. No need to pay for 5-gal buckets - just make arrangements with your favorite dining spot -- BUT - You must be punctual on pickup - or out they go!

Also, count on cleaning them yourselves - most won't pay employees time to do that.

I have several at the house, but don't have room to store them at our establishment, so if one is emptied on my shift - it goes home with me.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Okay, someone please point me to the instructions on how to make these (like the pretty red buckets in the top photo). I can get all kinds of these buckets (round and square) so I think I need to start experimenting!

um, how come I was NOT aware of this? I'll be seeing you, Bubba.

You know, that Swiss Chard just keeps on going. I'm thinking I'm just gonna bring you the whole container one 'a these days!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

I think Bubba's pickle buckets should be used to grow cucumbers. It would be a nice circle of life thing. :-)

Johnson City, TN(Zone 6b)

Me too, Jake. I can hear the music now...
GG You didn't know you were responsible for this stuff? Well you are one of my garden mentors... tee hee.

Now, ya'll KNOW I did not mean for my number to be included in that last post. So, don't go sending that all over the place. The DG techies are working on REMOVING that post so I can edit out my number....

I hope ya'll are listening....

G, why'd you include me? I just listen to what YOU say. [It's all her y'all, her and about 17 other people.]

This message was edited Apr 9, 2009 5:49 PM

Um, Kraehill, et al,
There's an error in the instructions above. I'm reposting the corrected version and the DG Admin will remove the incorrect document.

Thanks.

Correction should read (Cutting the eBucket center hole approx. ¼” to ½” diameter smaller than the eSleeve establishes a “ledge” for add’l support of the potting bucket.)

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Missouri City, TX

I've read and reread every one of the instructions sheets, and I still don't understand. (And I build things all the time).

I think we need more pictures of the process.
We started with 2 buckets - 1 to hold water, 1 to pot our plants.
Then the watering fill tubes were discussed - no problem so far.

Then suddenly the directions talk about an eSleeve, and buying perforated PVC in addition to the piece of non-perforated we bought for the fill tubes, and no mention of what diameter to buy. So if i understand, this is like a solid soaker hose? and cut into 6" lengths? do they jjust lay in the botton of the water bucket? I'm lost.

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Bubba take a look here

http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

Tubby

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Tubby. That's excellent.

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

I figured you was 2busygardening...LOL

Bubba, I don't think I've ever seen you so exasperated! First thing in the morning I'll post a pic of the sleeve. Its just a different type of wick. The perforated tube is attached to the bottom of the potting bucket over the wick hole with the zip ties. Once it's attached slip a pantyhose over it to keep your potting mix from coming out of the holes. Now sit the buckets inside each other and pack the tube with your potting mix. It becomes a built on wick! Put the fill tube in place and finish filling your soul bucket. Hope this helps. Sorry for my confusion. Linda

Glendale/Parks, AZ

Can someone please tell me what the purpose is of all those little holes that are drilled in the bottom of the top bucket.

The better to breathe with, rtl. This keeps your mix fresh. That is why the empty space between the bottom of the planting bucket and the cater in the lower bucket is called aeration.

Bubba you gettin this? Running late. No time 4 pic.

Missouri City, TX

Thanks, Tubbytee.

Since the buckets nest with a few inches below the inside one, I did not understand the need to build a platform for it to rest on.

Bubba, there really is no need for a platform. Devota just designed hers to raise up a little bit with a 6" tall wick to create more reservoir space ( = more water = less fill ups). You could cut it back so the bucket doesn't raise up.

With a 6" wick, I drilled my drain hole approximately 5.75" high from the bottom of the eBucket, which was a significant difference from where I once drilled them. Oh, the ingenious, conservationist DH also helped me discover that RUBBER golf tees will seal up just about any miscreant bucket hole you have. Just shove it in and snip it off at the tip. Instant plug!

Now. Ya'll help me find some more RUBBER golf tees, cause these days, they are harder to come by than a Bernie Madoff investment return.

Missouri City, TX

Don't tell me you had money there! LOL

Missouri City, TX

I'll bet a hot glue gun would also seal those holes, gg.

Bubba, NOT ON YOUR LIFE! My momma taught me to keep the money hidden in the mattress!

Hot glue? I can do!

Glendale/Parks, AZ

Breathe huh, ok I got it. I didn't drill any but I did put in two wicks. It is hot here, I mean HHHHHOOOOOTTTTTTTTT. I am hoping that two wicks will keep the coir damp when it heats up. I'll see how I do without the holes. Perhaps I will have to drill some for the fall planting season.

Glendale/Parks, AZ

Bag-o-wickin' socks

Thumbnail by rtl850nomore

Rtl850nomore

That is TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO funny! Are you constructing the eSleeve Wick?

Glendale/Parks, AZ

I am going to do that for my fall garden. It is too late to start anything more here.

Great! I'm getting ready for my fall garden, too! I love that season much better than the summer here!

Riverdale, NJ(Zone 6a)

Okay. I get it. I understand how to build a HEB from either 5 gallon buckets or storage tubs. No problemo. Now, suppose I wanted to put something climbing in there like a tomato or two. How does one attach a cage?

This is a great thread BTW... Kudos to all who contributed.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2009 5:14 PM

Glendale/Parks, AZ

Ring your buckets with chicken wire, fencing or drill holes in the bucket lid and drop the legs of a wire tomato cage down in the holes.

Glendale/Parks, AZ

ok, I got a couple of pickle buckets from a school cafeteria on Monday. After leaving them out in the Arizona sun, this morning they still smell of pickles. Anyone know how to get that smell to go away or should I just plant cucumbers and hope that half the work towards them being pickles is done.

Lake Elsinore, CA

Try using a few drops of bleach and some dishwashing liquid in the bucket filled with water, let it set for a couple of hours and rinse really well, that should get rid of most of the pickle smell.

Glendale/Parks, AZ

Stanks gone...thanks Pugzley.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.