Our annual end-of-summer contest is here, come on down to the Dave's Garden County Fair!

Will my horse eat my asparagus?

Waynesville, MO

I am trying to decide where to plant my asparagus that is out of the way. I want to plant it along my fence but I am not sure if my horses will lean over the fence to eat it. Anyone out there a horse owner and asparagus grower? Any thoughts? They do suprise me with what they will eat...they love poision ivy.

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

I am pretty sure they'd give it a try. I've never grown it where they could get it.

Richmond, TX

Only if you don't want them to.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

That's it!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I have asparagus in the pasture next to my house and the horses there never eat it. But since you don't want yours too eat some they probably will. LOL

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

I'd just be careful of contamination from fresh manure....

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

You put a bug in me. I had Mary Washington at my old house. I am not checking to see if there's any better variety for GA, but I'm going to prepare the bed this weekend.

Thanks! LOL

Waynesville, MO

I've never grown asparagus but I love to eat it and it is expensive. I'm think I might just have to buy a bundle of spears and offer some to my horses to see if they will eat it. I can always string an extra strand of wire at the top of the fence to prevent leaning over. Even if they don't like the asparagus I give them, I wouldn't put it past them to try to eat what I grow. Just cause I don't want them to!! LOL My mare trys to lean over the fence past her completly full tank to drink the water from the dogs bowl just to mess with them. It took me a while to figure out why their bowl was always empty. There is a little jealousy between them.

Richmond, TX

One strand of hot wire off-set on the inside will save both the asparagus and your fence, but it will ruin the fun.

LOL porkpal!! My hotwires do tend to meander through the stringbeans, but they're at groundhog height.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

My previous dog used to graze on the asparagus. He'd just eat the tips off. Bad dog!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Figures, best part.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have never tried aparagus. Does it have to be grown for a couple of seasons before harvest like rhubarb?

You can start cutting the third year. It will last forever though, so a good investment!

Waynesville, MO

Aahhh! Now I have to watch my dogs?? That would figure. They get into everything anyway!

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Well at least if they eat it you'll know by the odd odor when they pee :-). I'd bet on the horse's trying to eat the asparagus, if only because they can be such contrary beasts ! I took my gelding up north for a weekend trail ride once. We had the horses in a rope pen, tied to a picket line, so they could graze and we left plenty of hay for them too, and figured they'd still be there come morning. Friends were sleeping in a tent not five feet from the pen and it was my girlfriend who woke us all, screaming in terror, thinking an axe murderer was about to descend on her in the middle of the night. She'd heard a horrendous cracking, breaking noise right outside the tent. Turned out it was my gelding, who had leaned way over the rope fence to grab at the base of a tree sapling, about two inches thick. He ripped it in two, pulled the trunk back into the pen and ate all the leaves. Can't recall for sure what kind of tree it was, but most probably it was a maple. Your horses will surely at least try the asparagus !

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

If I recall, asparagus has to be planted about 18" deep. No wonder it's so tough.

phfurballs: Did your friend spook the horses with her screaming?

Waynesville, MO

I have to figure a way to keep them out of my garden without building a huge fence. We use them as lawn mowers. We have a huge lawn and with last years gas prices we didn't want to mow anymore than we had to. So I just turned the horses out everyday to eat in the yard. We only mowed the lawn TWICE last year. A little weed eating was all we had to do. I teach school so I'm off in the summer and can let them out for hours because I am there. They cannot escape the yard though. I had a temporary fence (if you could call it that) to keep the horses out of the garden. They ignored it for weeks...until my corn was about 6 inches tall and then they visited the garden.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

A single strand of hot wire with a solar charger should be all you need.

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

No, she didn't spook old greedy guts, just me ! I swear, there isn't much of anything more disturbing than hearing blood curdling screams in the middle of the night way out in the pitch dark bush ! My horse was quite unperturbed - though his companion was a bit upset. The other horse had been a mustang, and he still had a highly developed sense for self preservation.. but he did stick around, just on the far side of the pen, far away as he could get from the noise.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

The fence around our barn lot is 5 strands of electric wire. Our whole herd has a healthy respect for the boundries. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images