Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Skunk and Pet Problems in the Suburban and Rural Garden: Nuttin' like a SKUNK...! Pheweeeeeee

Communities > Forums > Article: Skunk and Pet Problems in the Suburban and Rural Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Skunk and Pet Problems in the Suburban and Rural GardenReplies: 0, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
YodieCoyote
Las Cruces, NM
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2009
3:58 AM

Post #6380724

Good article on Skunks, Geoff. Over the years, our curious dogs have had only two run-ins with skunks. About 15 years ago, while living in W WA, a skunk boldly sauntered into our driveway one afternoon. He (she?...didn't look that close) wandered underneath our pickup truck. One of our Australian Shepherds immediately dived at the truck...getting royally sprayed in the face. I used White Vinegar which seemed to tone down the odour a wee bit. Then phoned my Dad, a chemist. He offered a home made remedy that created an "Oxidizing chemical affect" (don't remember the actual recipe).

About a month ago, another Aussie got sprayed in the face & neck at night (Do we own stupid dawgs?). I carefully used White Vinegar on his face,...and ran for the store FIRST thing the following morning. Bought Hydrogen Peroxide, mixed it with Baking Soda & dish deterg. As you posted, this home recipe works admireably well. It should be noted, that the Peroxide/Soda combo works as an oxidizer. Do not store this in a tightly closed container...because of the "fizzy" chemical oxidization reaction. Mix a fresh solution, and use it immediately. We also sprayed down the inside of the house (it was too cold to leave the dog outside all night...Pheeewwwweeee). Used two spray bottles of Febreze (do not put on dawg). Seemed to work pretty good for "clearing" the hacienda. Nuttin' like a skunk..!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Skunk and Pet Problems in the Suburban and Rural Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice Article! nanny_56 3 Apr 8, 2009 9:17 PM
Skunk Odor Remedy Sharonpatricia 0 Apr 6, 2009 3:24 PM
Had a skunk in my garden wvgardendeva 0 Apr 6, 2009 11:05 PM
Ferret smell overrated plushweasels 2 Apr 10, 2009 5:49 AM
Thanks Geoff! Terry 0 Apr 7, 2009 8:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America