Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Soil and Composting: My soil test results are in.

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 5, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JeniLyn
Springboro, OH

April 8, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6381810

I felt like such a chemist this morning. It was really fun. My pH is slightly acidic. My potash is good. My Phosphorous is deficient and my Nitrogen is depleted. So, now all I need to do is research and find out how to fatten that dirt up and then I'll be good to go or should I decide what I want to plant there before I go adding nutrients?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2009
1:04 PM

Post #6398882

You can always start fattening up with organic matter- compost etc. I don't think you have to worry SO much over specific plants needs for levels of those things. The common warning I read is not to use too much nitrogen. Be reasonable and use slow release stuff that will stay with you for the long haul.
JeniLyn
Springboro, OH

April 12, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #6400674

Thanks Sally! I just started my compost pile this afternoon, but I bought a couple of bags of organic compost + manure from Lowe's last week, the numbers are .05 .05 .05. Would it be okay to just pile that on? or should I dig it in to the first couple of inches of soil for better results? Thanks!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #6401406

I wouldn't say I'm a pro, but in lieu of anyone else advising--I'd dig it in some and consider adding an organic fertilizer if you are growing anything demanding--veggies...Is this a home test kit you do yourself?
JeniLyn
Springboro, OH

April 13, 2009
11:52 AM

Post #6402687

Yep, a home test kit. Thanks Sally. Now what type of organic fertilizer would you add?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #6404219

(whoops, almost recommended Chesapeake crab compost for tomatos but saw your location LOL)
Geee, any name brand, example Plant tone, Holly Tone, line of stuff has been around awhile and I think it's well liked. So there are slight variations in formula--Holly tone for acid lovers like azalea, blueberries. Plant tone for general, Lawn tone? maybe
I am not sure the home test kits are as reliable as commercial one you send away for, but an organic fertilizer should remain in the soil better even if it doesn't get used this year.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America