Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Landscaping: small, young azaleas...what to plant around them

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 14, Views: 191
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MCCHICKENN
North Little Rock, AR

April 8, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #6382130

here's my situation...new to gardening and landscapes...we planted these encore azaleas (white about 10" tall, pink about 16" tall) as foundation plants I guess. Now I want something to plant around the azaleas to fill in the bed a bit. in this pic the bed is 24' long with the most narrow part being 3.5' wide and the widest part is about 9'. the wide part is partial sun and the narrow part is full sun (so the suncalc says). the azaleas are about 3' apart. there's also a garnet japanese maple. we just had the rock put in a few days ago by a landscaper, but i want to learn to garden and whatnot so i'm attempting to plant the stuff myself. oh, and the soil is alkaline (trying to amend that). zone 7.

Thumbnail by MCCHICKENN
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MCCHICKENN
North Little Rock, AR

April 8, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #6382132

another view.

Thumbnail by MCCHICKENN

MCCHICKENN
North Little Rock, AR

April 8, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6382148

this is the other end of the house. it's partial shade. the little tree is a dogwood. the azaleas are 3-4' apart here and the little things next to the dogwood are even smaller azaleas. this bed is about 16' long and about 8' deep in the middle. i figured i'd plant some hostas. i like caladiums but i wasn't sure if they'd tower over the azaleas when they got bigger and if that would look weird.

Thumbnail by MCCHICKENN

MCCHICKENN
North Little Rock, AR

April 8, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6382177

Oh and here is the terrible drawing on graph paper i did to show the rock guy what area i wanted done. each square is *about* 2 feet.

Thumbnail by MCCHICKENN

fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6382214

Hi MCCHICKENN, we're practically neighbors! You have the beginnings of some nice beds. The maple will be beautiful and provide nice shade for your azaleas. When you mentioned considering hostas because caladiums may tower over your azaleas, I thought I'd share this photo of hostas that got as big as my mature azaleas. Hostas can get really big!

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet

Smokey_SC
Piedmont, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6383685

Spiderwort, Catmint, Blue Star Lithodora, Sedum Autumn Joy and Dianthus are some good choices for our zone.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2009
11:43 AM

Post #6385668

Have you considered growing a ground cover around them? I have vinca minor which looks real pretty since it blooms the same time as my azaleas. Of course, if you don't like vinca, there are lots of other ground covers you can choose from. I have tall ferns behind the azaleas which gives a nice cool look during the heat of summer.
MCCHICKENN
North Little Rock, AR

April 9, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6388115

fleursdefouquet, yes, we are almost neighbors. i live in lakewood. i think i used to take riding lessons as a kid at a stable by ferndale. i can't remember the name though.

so far i'm just planting some groupings of sun annuals in the empty spots. i made a hosta garden around my tree. when you just have one of a plant is it called a specimen? well anyway i bought one of each of some blues, yellows, and greens. i'm trying to decide on what groundcovers to get.
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6388295

You are definitely neighbors with duckmother (Kim). She lives in Lakewood and rehabs wood ducks. Sometimes other ducks and geese.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #6389112

Hi McChickenn, I live close to lake #1. Where are you? You need to come to our plant swap in May. You can get all kinds of free plants, lots of great food and meet all of us!

Kim
MCCHICKENN
North Little Rock, AR

April 10, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6389239

i live on lakeview...close to lake 1 also. this is my first year to attempt gardening. where is the plant swap? all of my plants are small and young so i wouldn't have anything to contribute. :) what do you take to a plant swap? i just planted a hosta garden today.

Thumbnail by MCCHICKENN

fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6389266

Your hostas look great. You do not have to bring plants to come to the Round-Up. But I promise you will go home with plants! I sent you a dmail with a link to the info thread but in case you didn't get it ... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/960154/. Join us if you can!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #6389366

I live at the bottom of snake hill.
MCCHICKENN
North Little Rock, AR

April 10, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6389447

i hate that hill. i made the mistake of walking my dog down waterside almost to lakewood gardens and was worn out by the time i had to walk back up that hill. it was terrible. i live 4 houses from fairway/avondale.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #6389461

Wow! We are really neighbors!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America