-
AuthorContent
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6382740

I just made a comment on another post regarding something that should be saved in someones hope chest. The thought came to mind, do girls still have hope chests? Did you have a hope chest and if you did what did you put in it? Its such an age old tradition but one that I think girls have strayed from either from loss of tradition or just felt it wasn't important but should start doing again. Age old traditions are being left behind when they should be brought forward and made use of again. This world and country is going through trying times and I feel that we need to touch base with our past. Things were tough then too but the way of life was so much more wholesome. Most children were brought up with good values and girls were taught the type of things that would help them be good wives, mothers and women in general.
So, give this some thought and share with us what you would put in your hope chest now if you could go back in time. I know that hind sight is 20/20 but it may help girls now.
Jan

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #6383156

I would put two sets of bedding. One for general use and one for company. The same with towels. I did not have a hope chest and neither did my daughter but what a great idea for gifts for our granddaughters. If not the chests then maybe something to start them off with. I already have quilts for them for when they get married. Of course they are only 10, 8, 7, and 2. I guess they have a wait heh???

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #6383551

Hummm... well my "hope chest" was a foot locker! I didn't really save much in it. As far as bedding goes, what size??? LOL... I remarried almost 3 years ago and we had a Queen bed. I could get any sleep sharing a bed that size and ended up buying a KING size bed now. I personally think just "special" things like handmade gifts would ever make it into a hope chest.

Color schemes, and what is "in fashion" changes so much I would hestitate to hazard a guess what to buy for a hope chest. I'm so UNfashion savy I prefer all white appliances, toilets etc. At least that way no one can guess by the color what age something is!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #6383825

Pat you made me chuckle with the white, white, white. I guess I was "remembering" what was important way back when. We didn't use fitted sheets and the biggest sheet you could get would fit all bed sizes. Boy have times changed. As far as color schemes and what is fashionable - I'd be grateful for anything I didn't need to buy.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6384338

"grateful for anything I didn't need to buy" is NOT the current schema of things unfortunately!

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

April 9, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #6384400

I had an old wood box the kind people used to pack thier belongings and send out ahead to where they would be moving to. I put everything in it dishes, towels, etc... I too remarried 10 years ago and my husband made me a real hope chest. I didn't really need it but like Gourdbeader mentioned it was the tradition of it, not to mention it is a beautiful piece of furniture that can be used for storage. Cheryl

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

April 9, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6384409

Fabric storage that is LOL

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #6384483

Well ya... we quessed that considering this IS the sewing and quilting thread! LOL

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #6384963

pat, I can't believe it!!!! my hope chest was a foot locker too !!!!!
And what else would the masochistic me have in there??? why fabric pieces, and scraps and buttons.
at one time there was an electric fry pan!! some doilies my Nana made...and for a few years I kept my jean jacket in there, it was one of my most prized possessions... I wanted one soooo bad, and they were "expensive". Thinking back It probably took Mom quite awhile to save for that thing...and yes I still have it!!!!

And Christmas ornaments, every year we each got an ornament, a star of some sort, from the church we went to, There was a Birthday party for Jesus, on Epiphany Sunday, with a great big cake, and big trees full of all the stars, and all the children would line up and get a piece of cake, and get to take a star off one of the trees...when I first got married, those stars were all we had for a few years...

that was my hope chest...
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2009
5:08 AM

Post #6385296

I didn't have one either but I wish I would have thought about it. I would have started saving things like nice linens, maybe some personalization with embroidery or something on the pillowcases. Its a good idea to get one started for the grand daughters or your own daughter. Of coarse my daughters have their own daughters and sons. I think I will talk to them about this. One of my grandaughters will be 21 this year. She still is living at home and now is the time for her to start gathering her linens and towels. Maybe start her silverware or table ware collection.Gee, when I think about it, it would be hard to decide on one particular pattern. I know what you mean about styles and schemes of things now. But they will always need the basics. Yep, the times, they are a changing. It used to be easy because there wasn't so many choices.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2009
10:06 AM

Post #6385531

Ya, white or white made it easy!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2009
11:36 AM

Post #6385656

Hey Pat is that like tone on tone???
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #6386147

now thats what I'm talking about barefootT. Doillies, tea towels, electric fry pans. Ornaments from your childhood. Old photos albums, memories of yester years.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2009
12:01 AM

Post #6454253

I have a "real" Lane cedar chest that was my Grandmothers. She used it then my Mom ended up with 3, so I took the one. Since Mom is moving in with us, I will soon have all 3. I keep my off season clothes in mine.
When my step-daughter turned 16 we got her one, made by the Amish in PA. It is still here since there was no room at her Mom's house for it. She is getting married this Summer so she will soon be getting it back. She is currently not on my "A" list so I'm not sure she will get it with anything in it. I've already made her 2 quilts - a throw for HS graduation and a full size for college graduation.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #6459098

Back in 1969, I started a 'Hope' chest (I was 13). It was actually a painted ammo box LOL. But I figured it was better than nothing..I kept it under my bed and started putting in things from the Dollar stores, like glasses, relish dishes, etc. By the time I turned 16, I had moved up to a large stereo cabinet that brother wasn't using anymore, and had started collecting flower vases, doilies, etc. By then I had a part time job after school, so I started collecting the dish collection that the local supermarket was selling: buy a certain amount of groceries=a dessert dish, salad plate, bowls, etc. I ended up with a complete service for 12, including the covered casseroles, teapot, the whole shebang. It was a white plate with a silver band on the rim and a small pink rose. Grandma donated a tablecloth, some embroidered pillowcases, and her WWII cookbook. Never did get a real hope chest, didn't have the extra $ to put out for it, and when I got divorced, the ex kept it in our china buffet. It's still there, and it will go to the boys or daughter in law, if they want it. We used it on the holidays, along with the pressed glass relish dishes, sugar/creamer set, and the candle holders. New hubby has his mothers, and I supposedly get my mothers when she passes, although it is a really big one. Seems like the Hope Chest isn't a big thing in some areas like it used to be. When I go to bridal showers, I try to make a gift of things that most girls don't have on their lists: real tablecloths/napkins, glass candleholders, etc. along with something from their list. As I got older, those things seemed important all of a sudden, as our family dinners at Grandma's always were fairly formal, at least for the dinner part.. If I ever have a granddaughter, you can bet I'll start one for her!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #6459423

I have the "real" thing now, also a lane..got it when my nana passed, my wedding dress is in it along with my moms wedding dress, Nana's fur coat, gramma's fur coat, christening outfits, mine and my boys..some of those doilies my nana made, a piece of crystal that was hubby's mim's...nothing very "useful"...but it all has a story to tell...I wonder if any one will want to listen...also still have that old footlocker...it is full of blue jeans...for those circle jeans quilts, I will someday make for all my boys...I even actually have some circles cut ;-}
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2009
4:18 AM

Post #6460053

yes, barefootT, that is truely a hope chest. Whether anyone listens or not you are each time you open it up it talks to you. You are listening and you can pass on all the wonderful memories.
Jan

Thanks for sharing that with us.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2009
12:10 PM

Post #6460684

Thunder when I have taken the time to write up those memories my family has really enjoyed reading them. It might be fun to write up something about each of the items in the hope chest and include it in the chest.

For my parent's 50th anniversary, several years ago, I helped my mother write several pages about their courtship, wedding day and early years of marriage. It was fun learning about their hardships and joys. I made it all into scrap books that sat on the tables during the reception. After the reception the books were given to the grandkids.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6461233

Wow, thats a great idea psychw2. Another good idea is to be sure that photos have names and dates so that down the line you know who the people in the photos are. My poor mother didn't do that and I have a box of photos that I haven't a clue who they are and I have no one to ask. I hate to throw them away but without identity they are usless.
pinkpoodlegirl
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #6461897

Don't throw away pictures!! Even if you don't know who they are you could donate them to a local museum. Think of all the pictures you see of by gone era's which I am sure did not seem very extraordinary but show what life was like at the time. Those pictures could be the next generations bygone era.

I will probably inherit a box of unidentified pictures at some point in the future. The generation that still know who the people are is quickly dying out. Unless they have a picture identifying party soon we may never know who a lot of the poeple are or the event they were celebrating.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #6461914

That is the ONE thing I can thank my Ex for. He worked extensively with my Grandmother on identifying who was who in pictures and then labeling them. For that I am grateful to him.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2009
7:36 PM

Post #6462128

I have 4 of them..grandmas,moms and 2 footlockers!!..full of their stuff..they had when they got married...
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2009
4:50 AM

Post #6464037

No, I won't throw them away. I only meant that with out identities they are just photos of the past. I have a story book wall that is full of old black and white photos, some very old photos that I have made up a story for. It really is fun and a way to bring life to otherwise unknown faces.
Begin by finding a picture of an old school or building and then go from there. That is where I started. I saw a gorgeous picture of a man in HMS uniform that was framed. It was in an antique store and I thought about that picture for several weeks. I couldn't get it out of my head so I went back and it was still there. I bought it and it has become part of my story wall. It is fun.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 27, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #6470912

Love to read about your hope chests..married at 17, no hope chest, never had a daughter to start one for..

But as for old photo's Gourdbearder, I'm much like you..the 2 photo's on the back wall of my bedroom are not relatives..there was something drawing me to both of these..the soldier had a good part of his face missing, bought the photo/frame and had it reconstructed..

I call them Uncle Henry and Uncle George..no longer had family to want their photo's or o family left..felt so sad aboutit..don't even know if my boys know they aren't truly relatives..anyway, both watch over me...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pinkpoodlegirl
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2009
4:13 AM

Post #6495725

Isn't it funny how a photo of a perfect stranger can have such a hold that you bought the photo and frame and had it reconstructed.

You both had experiences where you looked at a photo and it had such an allure that it brought you back to purchase them. Now what would you give to know the history of the person who has been hanging on you wall for so long?
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2009
5:34 AM

Post #6495883

I know his name as he wrote it on the back of the photo. I will take a picture and show you how interesting he is.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #6503267

Here is my Mr Anderson and his intended wife. In my story.
Isn't he gorgeous? Such beautiful eyes.

This message was edited May 4, 2009 11:55 AM

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6503273

This is his signature

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6503274

and his intended, they just look like they belong together.

This message was edited May 4, 2009 11:56 AM

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

pinkpoodlegirl
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #6508073

John Anderson is very handsome!!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #6508788

Isn't he. I saw him in the antique store and I just couldn't get his face out of my mind. It was kind of like that movie with Christopher Reeves "A Place In Time"
Yep, he was like that to me.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #6509235

Betty, I love the quilt. Is it handmade?? Very pretty colors.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #6509288

This message was edited May 5, 2009 3:47 PM

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

May 6, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6510878

Oh my, what memories this thread brought up, My mom had a huge old Lane cedar chest and I and my 2 sisters each got one at age 16, smaller though, more like they are now. I had "from the movies" stainless and "soap box" dishes. some doilies from my grandmother. I married young so that's as far as I got. I saved special outfits and momentos from my children growing up. These were presented to each at shower for their first babies. My girls got cedar chests made by their father at age 16. My granddaughters get an inch of pearls when born and and inch each b'day until age 16 when I have them strung and add a clasp.My mother had done the same for her granddaughters. So far all have been married wearing them. At age 17 they get a cedar chest, but I must say they are getting harder to find and much more expensive. I think it's a good thing there are only 3 more girls coming up.

This message was edited May 5, 2009 11:53 PM

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2009
12:21 PM

Post #6520954

an inch of pearls ;-} what a grand idea !!!!! if my on the way grand baby is a girl I am gonna steal that ! I got shivers when I read it...
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6521503

yes, I think that is such a wonderful idea too. I only wish that girls wore pearls more these days but accumulating them through the years to wear on your wedding day is a very special idea. Thanks for sharing that.
Jan

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

May 9, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #6525443

I found through the years, that the price of pearls has gone up drastically. Of late, I watch for sales, buy a whole strand, take it apart and restring each year. Each little girls has their own bag. I use fine dental floss and inexpensive chain. That way I save quite a bit and the little girls can wear them for very special occasions without fear of them breaking. When they are finished, I order the clasp and have them professionally restrung with knots between the pearls. Jewelers have been very kind in providing me with a pretty satin case for the finished necklaces.

When my mom started the tradition, pearls were $7.50 per inch. By the time I was buying for my granddaughters, they were up to $55.00 per inch.

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6526498

Wow, a sure sign of the times.
Jan

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America