Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Clean and Clutter-free: How do you store your seeds?

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 28, Views: 250
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #6382817

One of my weak spots is collecting all kinds of seeds that I dream about growing and then hold onto them until I can find a spot for them, end up buying more and really don't have a place to plant what I've got... it's a vicious cycle that I'm sure none of you has ever experienced (lol).

Sooooooooo... I now have 2 or 3 of those plastic shoeboxes full, a small recipe type box (about 6x9x3) and a laundry basket.

HELP ME!!!

how do you store yours?!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

April 9, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6386669

I don't have that many, but usually in their package in a ziplok bag on the corner of the kitchen counter. DW hates it, but leaves it alone. Guess I need to build a cabinet to house them and other gardening products. But I want them in the house to prevent the extreme temperature and humidity changes they would be subjected to in the garage.
ozone3
Fort Worth, TX

April 10, 2009
10:36 AM

Post #6390346

I bought the Business Card holders (8X11 sheets) that go in a 3-ring binder. I put the envies of seeds in a pocket and then put the sheet in a 3-ring binder. I keep it on a shelf in my linen closet.

HTH,
Rita
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #6395588

the morning glory forum has a great thread about this:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/936744/

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6398104

I keep them in closed containers or the packets in a ziploc then stored in the fridge.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6405734

Carole--I use those plastic Texmati rice containers with the screw on lid and then put them in one of the produce drawers at the bottom of the fridge.
Debbie
=)

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6413903

hey Debbie... i like that idea. may even just use those in my pantry or closet... (dark)
great idea!!! (no room in my fridge ;-((
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 6, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6510410

Cajun2, did you see the post that seedpicker pointed out, I've tried the notebooks and it is working really well, the only thing is, I have 8 of the 2 and 3 inch binders, but I really like it, very easy to go through.. it would be easier if I alphabetized all the seeds, but right now I don't have time, so I rely on the pictures on the seed packets or the writing on the envelopes.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2009
4:30 AM

Post #6510990

Oh wow... yes, that thread on the MG forum was awesome!
I honestly think the one that fits my personality and gardening style is this post by fchilders:

Well lets see if this works...This is the home made version of the $30 box kit for hanging alphabetic or numeric files of ziplocks. You may be able to buy the $1 shoebox from dollartree like we did, and then pick up the hangers and special ziplocks at a sewing center. Frank

That's awesome! And definitely me!
I had bought some larger index cards and may just make a stab at sorting in one of the plastic shoe boxes Frank uses and see how that works for me first. But I think I'll eventually get those floss organizers (hanging file-type ziplocs).
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 6, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6512925

I just asked the same question on another thread Carole. So glad that you asked. I am going to go to the thread that Seedpicker suggested. I hope to find something that will work for me too. Great topic.

Ruby
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #6516197

Ziplocks and shoeboxes and tubs and... what do I do will all those seeds of questionable parentage that are holding a reunion in the bottoms of those ziplocks and shoeboxes and tubs????

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6517194

podster ur killing me!!!
i think i'm going to start a new bed for those orphaned seeds at the bottom of the bags and tubs and baskets just to see what'll come up! why not?!

it'll be fun. you should do it too!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 7, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #6517243

podster, all of mine have only Morning Glory seeds, can you imagine that..lol.. I gave all the other seeds away..lol so, I don't have anything else.. maybe this year I'll collect some from our new garden area, we moved here and had to amend and make beds, so I don't have much yet.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6519289

AHem! Gourd... can I share some seeds? LOL Might even throw in some of the pot luck assortment at the bottom of the tub. Or maybe Cajun2 needs some for her orphaned bed... Hmmmm? LOL might even be some rogue veggie seeds and for sure a few errant herbal seeds.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 8, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #6521623

cajun and pod, you guys are welcome to some mg seeds, I can't, however take anymore.. my plate is full.. I've got too much going on here and not enough hours of day to finish. I really appreciate the offer though, my DH would probably have a heart attack if he saw me with more seeds..lol

Pod, send me your addy and cajun, I've got yours, so I can send you guys some seeds some time next week, after Wed of next week, there might be a stained glass class held here at my house next week and I've got to get some tables up/prepare the basics. Other than than, I feel like I'm ready for some Iced Tea..lol if either of you have some of those desert four o'clocks, I'd like to get some seeds, I did get some from the trading forum and now none have come up and if they do, I didn't mark them so won't know what the seedling looks like.. if not, that's fine too.. maybe they will come up some day. Also, let me know what your favorite colors are and I'll send packets of that color or different colors.. I've got some I. nil (jMGs) I. purpureas (these reseed and take over the world at times) but do great in pots... all of mine are in pots.

150 three gallon pots of nothing but JMGs and a couple of purpurea, yesterday I fertilized them and everything else in the yard.

I better send this message because I happened to hit the backspace key and the message disappeared, then I found it by hitting the back arrow, before it disappears again.

A.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6521910

You guys should plan a seed swap.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 8, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6522781

I had the same question about the mixed, no name seeds in my stash too. You all have a good idea for doing a bed and seeing what sort of surprises you have. I have been looking at a spot where my husband moved a large shrub last year that hasn't quite filled back with weeds yet. Without too much effort, I believe that could be made in to a nice bed for the surprise seeds. If he doesn't already have plans for something else to go in there, I think that will be exactly what I decide to do. It would be interesting to see pics later on as to what everyone has to come up.

Ruby
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

May 8, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6522846

Anybody else that wants some, send me your addresses. It would take me a lifetime and more to plant all the mg seeds I've got.. Just be patient with me till next week is over and I'll send them out.. I've got a nice section from one swap going, it has four colors of hollyhocks in it now, and few other things that I wintersowed, it seems easier for me to just scatter the seeds anymore.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6523773

Gourd ~ thank you for the generous offer but I must bow out graciously. I am on a guilt trip of magnificent proportion over the seeds that are already staring me in the face. Adding more to the container might well be the straw that broke this camels back. No beds left to fill, no pots that are empty and no room or monya for more pots. Oh woe is me... But, I'd bet Cajun would take my share? LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 11, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #6533777

Same here on the offer. No thanks. I can still remember my mother talking about how the MG's will take over a place if left untended. Funny, but on one of the other threads that I have read over the past few days, there are others who are annoyed with MG's right now.

Ruby

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6534234

podster u r just TOO funny!!! LOL
yes, oh yes, I NEED more SEEDS!!!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 20, 2009
12:02 PM

Post #6573758

Good to see you in such a great mood Cajun. Hi to all others too.

Ruby

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6576063

Hey Guys, guess what?!
I DID IT!!! I will post pictures later, but... right now let me tell you what I did.

I bought some of those extra large index cards and made 'tabs' like:

Annuals - Blue
Annuals - Orange... etc. for Pink, Purple, Red, White, Yellow
and then
Annuals - Poppies (b/c I have a lot)
Perennials - Blue, Orange, etc.
Perennials - Foxgloves, Hibiscus, Hollyhocks, Salvia
Herbs
Fruits
Veggies
Trees
Shrubs
Fun Stuff (like snake gourd, birdhouse gourd, peter peppers)

I had to put Herbs, Fruits & Veggies in their own plastic shoebox b/c I have so many. And I have a separate 'tab' for Veggies - Peppers
I have the others in the other plastic shoebox.
In the smaller index card file, I have trades only (the others are my personal stash).
I sent a large envelope of extras to Robin who sends seeds out to newbies.
I now have a large shoebox (the boot size one) for extra bubble mailers, empty seed packs (to package my own seeds), blank plant tags (I recycle them for my own garden), markers, etc.

The BASKET is now ready for some other use!

so WHOOHOOOOOOOOO!

Hugs, all!

This message was edited May 20, 2009 5:14 PM
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6576796

Good job! That is going to be the easiest thing in the world to deal with now. So nice to have it all so organized and easy to access.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #6577476

thank you, juney!
i'm SO tickled!!

Thumbnail by Cajun2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #6577483

sorry if i'm boring you guys but i'm really proud ;-)

Thumbnail by Cajun2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2009
11:19 AM

Post #6578058

WOo HOo!@! Good for you! What's next on the agenda? You make me feel GUILTY about being lazy! LOL

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2009
12:23 PM

Post #6578207

Looks great!

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6600203

What's next? hmmmm may just have to sit back and admire what i've done, start what seeds i can for this season, plan for the fall planting, etc. I'd like to at least test some of the older ones - may start a separate bed for 'surprises' LOL

get busy, podster! LOL
j/k

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America