Photo by Melody

Beekeeping: HELP, I need to move hive of wild bees before.....

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 13, Views: 216
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 9, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #6384804

I can use some advice on how to capture and remove a hive from a hollow oak. My client wants me to spray them, murder of wildlife is not a good option.

We had a professional bee keeper come in, capture and remove a hive from the tree, but, they have returned (a new queen took up residence or ??). We are unable to find someone to remove them.

Is there some place I can look online to get the necessary information to save them?

I don't have much time. These folks are 'short tempered' and want them out. They pose no real danger as their entrance is 12-15 feet above ground level, but, some people don't want to share space.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Eye Candy>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marriell
Hudsonville, MI

April 9, 2009
10:44 AM

Post #6385579

You will probably need to find a beekeeper with a bee vac if they are in a tree. Here is the address and phone # to a beekeeping association in Tampa. Or do a search for local beekeeping associations if your not in Tampa.

Tampa Bay Beekeepers Association
P.O. Box 2035
Seffner, FL 33583

Phone: (813) 778-6800
marriell
Hudsonville, MI

April 9, 2009
10:52 AM

Post #6385585

Found another website - AllFloridaBeeRemoval.com, (800)-343-5317
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 9, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6388267

Thanks

I will give them a call in the morning since it is after 5pm.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #6456942

How did it go, Dale?
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #6457978

I found a local guy to move them...and convinced my client that it was worth taking the time to relocate them.

It is hard to believe that the honey bee is an endangered species.

Spring has sprung>

suscott22
Burnley
United Kingdom

July 16, 2009
11:36 AM

Post #6825771

Thanks mariall for sharing the name of the website. I was looking for the same information
arries
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6908394

Everyone wants to kill bees! I just don't understand it, especially since we have a world wide shortage of them. I think people don't realize where their food comes from?

There is a place in China where the bees are totally extinct, so the people have to go out and pollinate each apple blossom. [seen on PBS program about bees]

I put water out for the bees, so I have bees on my porch area all the time since, they need water to. It's hot out here in southern California, and they need water to make their honey. I keep telling my neighbors they will not harm you unless you harm them, so at least I'm educating people one person at a time...

They first started coming to an empty pot with soil in it, so I started keeping it watered, and they also come to another with just water and rocks and plants in it...[yes, I watch for mosquitoes larvae, and I haven't had any problem since.]

If the bees are not dead people should be happy and leave them alone, and don't kill them under any circumstances. They have a short life span as it is. [We have a shortage of them!!]

Think about CCD or Colony Colaps Disorder http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_Collapse_Disorder

edit:
[I just read in another section that bees don't need water to make honey...? Is that true? I thought "pre" honey was 80 or 90 percent water until the bees fan the hive to reduce the water content for it to become honey as we know it...?]

edit:
A bee person just told me that the water in the honey comes from flower nectar...

This message was edited Aug 4, 2009 7:11 PM

This message was edited Aug 4, 2009 7:58 PM

This message was edited Aug 4, 2009 10:13 PM

Thumbnail by arries

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 5, 2009
9:17 AM

Post #6909335

I always thought that is was cruel to kill any insect unless it was doing direct harm.

(edit) I am not a fan of mosquitoes.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2009 5:18 AM

jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

August 5, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6910091

Bees may not directly use the water to make the honey, but they do use a tremendous amount of water in the hive. wild hive will only reside where there is a water source nearby, even if it is a swimming pool or goldfish pond. You will often see them in urban areas around bird baths or irrigation systems that run frequently. I was in Santa Fe during the dry season once and every time the hotel sprinkler would shut off, hundreds of bees would come in to the little puddles.
Peace_Flowers
Tampa, FL

June 25, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8653399

Attention Dale the Gardener in Tampa...I am in S. Tampa and have two bee infestations in front and back bldg. Who did you find to remove your bees? Thank you!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8654468

Look in the yellow pages - Bee removal. The guy who came and took away our hive has retired.
DitchLily206
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8654507

When I had a swarm that settled at my house I called animal control. They were able to give me the name and number of a local bee keeper. It might work for you.
Elida
Henagar, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2011
9:01 PM

Post #8654845

You may try calling your local police department, they may have names and phone numbers of local bee keepers, mine does.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America