Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Upper Midwest Gardening: Your worst invasive

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 93, Views: 860
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wadeinthewater
Verona, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 9, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6385063

I'm really fighting buckthorn along the edge of the woods. It totally blocks anything else from getting a foot hold. And it is the most prolific thing imaginable spawning piles of black berries each fall that all germinate. I don't know how many hours I've spent sitting in the mulch pulling little seedlings out. The UW arboretum says the only way to deal with them is to burn them out, so I got an acetylene torch and tried that - one by one, but that didn't even work...am I desperate or what? I hear some nurseries still sell them!! Then there's the garlic mustard, but don't get me started...what's your worst invasive. Perhaps we can save each other from planting a monster.
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 9, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6385892

Wild grape vines, virginia creeper, some-sort of nasty onion thing, and crab grass. Though my worst "destroyers" are tent caterpillars and jap beetles.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6390877

Garlic Mustard and Creeping Charlie are my biggest invader, and Mulberry trees. They pop up along the foundation of our out buildings along with Boxelder trees.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6390912

arrgg,chickweed,creeping charlie !!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6390939

garlic mustard and creeping charlie here also. My biggest problem with the garlic mustard is that the next door neighbor thinks its pretty and won't pull it. I hate the idea of threatening with calling the county extension to see what I can do about it she's really a sweet lady...so I just keep pulling and pulling and **tching and pulling. Forever and a day.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6391039

My garlic mustard is coming from the fence row where the farmer doesn't plow. There are lots of trees and he can't get close enough. The battle will begin, again, soon.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #6391127

Creeping charlie and wild violets, a continual battle!!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #6391128

I too have Buckthorn, Black Locus, Garlic Mustard ... the wild Grape i've pretty much dealt with over the years and it's not an issue anymore. the mustard i am constantly pulling ...trying to get it while it's young this season.
For the weeds, i am not using any herbicide ... but when i cut back the invasive trees, i give them a dab of Ortho 'something' to keep them from regrowing... it's been working so far.

I've got other stuff that i dont even know what it's called.. OH yes, and bindweed!! that is nasty.

At first when i saw this topic.. i was thinking it was for something we actually planted... for me, what has become a nuisance -- Ditch Lilies!! I"m trying to eradicate them from the side of my garage... i think there are only about 10 that have come up this year... but i'm gonna nip those ... I've been filing in the area with Hostas, and i dont want anything competing with them...well, those darned ferns too... but hopefully i'll find good homes for them.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6391157

This will be my third year digging up ferns that snuck under the fence from the neighbors, I was finally getting the upper hand last fall so hopefully not many to get rid of this year, we will see. Amazing that such a delicate looking plant can be sooo tough!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6391182

this is what my area looks like mid-summer... literally swallows up everything else there. THey dont keep anything from growing... but they are just too thick... then they pop up in the lawn... and YIKES, i started with about 10.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Click the image for an enlarged view.

midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6391229

Looks familiar! My neighbors started with just one that was a gift, now they're all over their yard, keep popping up in their lawn and have snuck out under the fences.

You're going to give yours away? What, to your worst enemies?? :-)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6391278

LOL/// no, to peeps who actually want these things.

I have a dear friend and all she has is shade... she wants them..i tell her just to come over with a shovel and a large bucket ... and there is a gal on Daves that wants some too.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #6392813

I'm not sure what's going to be my worst, since this is my first growing season here...but I know that dandelions and thistles always seem to want to invade my gardens, and I hate them. I've pulled a few dandelion greens already.

I've found this little thug growing all over. Is this creeping charlie? Bleah.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6392920

Ground ivy, sometimes known as creeping charlie.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6393998

Thanks, LTilton. And ooooh, goodie. heh
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #6394127

Creeping charlie-gets into my ground cover. I keep hand pulling the garlic mustard across the road, so that it doesn't spread into my garden. Have called the city to cut down weeds. they cut down the little gardens that a bunch of us were planting across the road "on city property" and then just let the weeds grow! Too bad I have their phone #!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6394136

Go get'um there Marcia. Keep that phone just a ringing.
mattsmom
Tomah, WI

April 11, 2009
3:43 AM

Post #6394161

Creeping charlie is the bane of my existance. Keeps creeping in from the neighbors yard.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2009
12:19 PM

Post #6394854

I unfortuately helped get my worst weeds started,back when I didnt know any better,cow manaure not fully composted,got chickweed,nettle,jimson(nightshade).Then I moved creepy charlie in with a boatload of peonies,thank god i have learned a lot since then.
jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #6395282

CREEPING CHARLIE!!!!! Hate it hate it hate it. I can keep out of the beds ok, but it's so far impossible to eradicate from the lawn. We have wild violets but I don't mind them as much. My DH doesn't like the clover, but that doesn't bother me too much either, although I know our neighbors wouldn't like it if it spread from our lawn to theirs. So we try to keep it in check. But I'm doing my best to garden "greener", and some stuff I've read says clover is good for lawns? Not that creeping charlie though. Ugh.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6395285

One of the University sites had success with creeping charlie by using Borax in hot hot water and pouring it on them. I used it when we had a mini farm but with 7 acres I couldn't keep up with it. Hasn't been too big a problem here, as we try hard to spot any early creepers and anihilate them while still young. The CC, not us ...we're way past young.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #6397693

OK, am I the only one with wild onion in my yard??? Oh, my God, it's horrible! If you don't get it up from the bulb, they effort you just spent pulling only to have it tear off a quarter inch above ground are for naught! Then, there are the little "one blade" sprigs of it that you have to go real deep to get the bulb from the one *&^#@ blade!!! I'm organic so far but . . . : (

At least dandelions are SATISFYING to pull out!
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6397705

TSC, you don't like your Ostrich Ferns??? They're beautiful! I bought 9 when I moved to this house 17 years ago and they multiply and I love 'em!!! Want some of my wild onion instead? : )

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6397769

OH, i have the onion too. WHen my son was smaller, he found some way out back in a field... thought he'd like some closer to home, so planted it ... I do find it in a lot more place.

IT's not that i dont like the ferns... i do... but they multiply like rabbits!!

I'll swap ya for some JPW.
when does that pop up in the garden, and how well does it transplant?

nothing doin' with the ferns yet... but someone said it's best to move them before they start to unfurl... though others have said you can do it at anytime... though i have not had much luck with moving them.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #6397815

I was looking for my Joe Pye because I know you want some. I haven't seen it yet - but, it's a late summer bloomer, so I think it peeks up later. I will keep and eye out and the minute I see it, we can swap!!
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #6397840

Here it's bindweed. I got it somewhat under control in the front yard last year, but it is still rampant in the back yard.

I've been planning on buying some fern. Are they all that invasive?
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #6397932

Onions?? How I hate them!

Not at all like the nice alliums.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2009
3:25 AM

Post #6398077

I'll take any of those ferms you want to unload, we have a long shaded area under a line of trees that doesn't support much of anything, if they wanted to they could multiply there all they want. Are you coming to the RU in June? Bring your huddled masses...etc.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2009
11:54 AM

Post #6398706

>>Are you coming to the RU in June?

I am considering it this year... really so hard to pass up, with it being so close [to lake delton] would have went last year, but the flooding... and i do think this year it is NOT Father's Day weekend.

>>I've been planning on buying some fern. Are they all that invasive?

momcat -- no they are not invasive, and it may depend on the fern. These just fill in quickly [say 5 yrs or so]
It's just that the bed in question is quite narrow, I'm trying to fill it in with other plants [Hostas, Astilbes, etc] and the ferns are so established, that they 'swallow' everything else up... plus shoot up in my lawn [ya just run them over with the mower]. I really do lover ferns ... i would just call these a 'nuisance' not invasive.

Happy Easter.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #6398870

Ferns its kind of a love hate thing !!! Iam a newbie at dg,i havent set up to trade yet.busy with seedlings and lights 1st time,making paper pots and repotting today.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #6398874

well then... Welcome to Dave's huggergirl!!

Terese

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #6398902

hi Terese, Welcome hugger. BEV
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #6398916

Thanks Ladies, Tamara

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6399208

Heya Bev... Happy Easter.

got any hostas poking up? jonesin' for a piece of your Guacamole. ;-)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6399861

Well - i was out in my north bed - cleaning [boy is that wind COLD, whipping out of the east] and i'm trying to find a place to put H. June. Too many ferns... every time i see a lil opening in the ferns, i see lil pips of a hosta peeking up at me... so -- i NEED to remove ferns. some have the slightest bit of green showing.

I think i'm out of larger 'nursery' pots to put them... if i see my neighbor, i may ask her.

oh well... so many plants, so little time.

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6400044

Yes I have a lot of pop ups. Will get you a piece as soon as I can.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #6400186

:-)
Rosine85
Spicer, MN

April 15, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6413367

Got to say that my 'monsters' are quack grass, burdock and Canadian/musk thistle.
Ginj
Mankato, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 21, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #6442925

Mine are quack grass, creeping charlie & burdock
grannymarsh
Marquette, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #6445361

Spotted knapweed and quack grass
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 23, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6453026

Creeping Charlie...Quack Grass...Creeping Charlie...Creeping Charlie...and did I mention Creeping Charlie?
workinprogress
Shakopee, MN

April 28, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6475444

I see that Borax and hot water can help to get rid of creeping charlie. Can anyone tell me what the proportions are? Thank you

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #6475498

My whole yard and gardens are full of Creeping Charlie GRRRRRRR
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2009
5:48 AM

Post #6487431

I have many of the pesty plants listed here but one I haven't seen mentioned and the one I hate the most is ladybells, Adenophora. I didn't plant them, they just appeared. They grow about 2 feet tall and have pretty nodding purple blue flowers and at first I was glad to have them. Then gradually they began appearing in every one of my flower borders except those in the deep shade. They try to overrun everything. I pull them up constantly. They spread by underground runners and must spread by seed, too as they have popped up all over the yard.

They have insidious roots. When you pull them out you get a very fine but tough root. What you don't realize however, is that this is merely the little root they send upward. Deeper down, much deeper, is a larger fleshy root which is usually impossible to get at without digging up the whole area.

I have dug up daylilies and carefully picked through them to tease out all the ladybell roots that had infiltrated them. After digging thoroughly through the soil to get out all the roots out of it, I replanted the daylilies. Later the same season...more ladybells pop up.

I even tried Round Up on some of them, which is entirely against my gardening principles, but, no matter...it didn't seem to do them any harm.

When I see a new cluster of their foliage coming up I say mean things to them. I threaten them with destruction but they show no fear. They are invincible.

Has anyone out there ever defeated this garden thug?
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2009
10:20 AM

Post #6487635

OMG,I hope to never meet that one,now I will be on the look out, creepy charlie is bad enough !!! and chick weed aaaaarrrrrgggg !!!!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #6487826

I've just noticed, after all this rain... the Bind Weed has started. that is something i use "killer" on. just pulling it does not do the job.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6488397

Wow, chris_h...I think you just saved me some headaches. I was looking at adenophora in a catalog and thinking it would look pretty in my yard. Now I know better!
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 5, 2009
5:11 AM

Post #6505953

My two most irritating plants are Creeping Charlie and Stinging Nettle. At least the charlie has cute little purple flowers, but the nettle is just nasty. I've read online that it has all kinds of medicinal qualities-I'd be happy to donatie it all if someone wants it!
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6508883

These are the plants that make my life hell in the garden: Yellow oxalis, Creeping Charlie, Dandelions, Siberian Elm seedlings (Ulmus pumila), Cottonwood seedlings (Populus deltoides), Green Ash seedlings (Fraxinus pensylvanica) and wild violet (purple/blue flowers)-the ultimate beast.

If anyone has any idea how to get these plants under control, please let me know. I am almost to the point of paving my entire yard. (:o)

While borax and hot water can kill creeping Charlie, borax in the soil does not break down at all and if you have to put a few applications of borax down to try and kill the creeping Charlie, you may have also killed, and made the ground unlivable, for the other desired plants, also. If the borax level in the soil becomes too high, the only remedy is to dig the soil out and replace the soil. Most of the broad leaved weed killers are broken down by sunlight and converted to non-toxic compounds after a short period of time.
Mike
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #6508906

Ugh! Now that you mention tree seedlings, I've got those everywhere, too...except that they're maple and the neighbor's gigantic box elder.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #6510847

I have buckthorn saplings. ... everywhere
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2009
12:32 PM

Post #6511625

The neighbors on both sides have silver maples...and I have endless babies. Some years I have to clean them off the driveway with a snow shovel!
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #6511711

KaylyRed,
Oops, I missed the Boxelder seedlings (Acer negundo) - I don't know how I could have done that since they're everywhere, too. There is a lot to be said for seedless trees!

There is an enormous female cottonwood tree across the alley from me and my yard becomes a winter wonderland in late May or early June. It looks like there has been a snowstorm in my yard once the tree starts to release its seed. The cool thing about cottonwood fluff is that it burns like flash paper. I light the cotton on fire to get rid of it. I keep the hose handy in case it starts to get away from me. I'm not sure if the burning does anything to the seed, but I guess I can keep hope alive that the fire kills the seed. (:o)

I used to have one of the dwarf birches with really finely divided leaves in my yard, but had to remove it since the fluff from the cottonwood tree would get caught in the finely divided leaves and make the tree look like heck for the rest of the season. My neighbor had an estimate for removing the cottonwood and it came in at over $5,000.00. Needless to say, the tree is still standing. This cottonwood is a weed-tree seedling itself that no one removed before it got too big. Now it's the scourge of the neighborhood.
Mike
edited to correct spelling

This message was edited May 6, 2009 7:56 AM
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 6, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #6511775

I have two silver maples in my front yard. They are big and I can't bring myself to replace them with "nicer" (and smaller, for a while anyway) trees. They provide wonderful shade and look pretty nice, BUT, they have fluff in the spring (unfortunately I'm in town and can't burn mine) the blows everywhere and sticks to everything. The rest of the summer, they send out "runners" and I have hundreds (maybe thousands) of little silver maple trees coming up everywhere in my yard-especially in my garden beds. We tried digging some of the sucker "umbilical cords" out but they are huge. I got some stuff called Sucker Stopper recommended by the extension office and will give that a go this year. The suckers, well . . .suck!
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6511799

Hmm... silver maples (Acer saccharinum) don't usually produce suckers from the roots. I've not ever seen a silver maple produce suckers, actually. I would bet that it's just silver maple seedlings coming up in the yard. My mom and dad have 4 silver maples in their yard and dad sweeps garbage bags of seeds off of his driveway once the trees lose their seeds. They, too, get tons of maple seedlings coming up in their lawn.

If your tree is producing suckers, I would bet it's not a silver maple.
My .02
Mike
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 6, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #6511840

Oops, my bad . . .I always call them Silver Maple (because that's what I originally thought they were-can't seem to get it out of my head!), but they are actually White Poplar. Here's a link from the UofM about the Sucker Stopper if anyone is interested . . .
( http://webboard.extension.umn.edu/~askmg ) OK, that link isn't very helpful, here's the body of the message:

Topic: Silver Maple Suckers in lawn? (1 of 1), Read 43 times, 2 File Attachments
Conf: Lawns
Date: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 12:10 AM

COUNTY: Wright
QUESTION: We have two silver maple trees in our yard and this time of year
they send up tons or runners in the surrounding lawn. I've been afraid
to use a systemic broadleaf weed killer on the lawn because I am afraid
that it will eventually affect the trees-is this likely? What would you
recommend to get rid of them-they are very unsightly. Thanks! Deb
CATEGORY: lawns
REPLY: I wonder if your trees are Populus alba common name White Poplar. The leaves of silver maple and white poplar are similar, but upon closer inspection there are some distinguishing characteristics. Do the leaves look like large ivy leaves that are fuzzy or felt-like feeling on their lighter colored underside? If yes, then you most likely are looking at white poplar. Silver maple leaves would also be lighter colored on their underside but have a smooth feel rather than fuzzy. If you are dealing with white poplar, they do spread abundantly by root suckers. There is a product called Sucker Stopper RTU (ready-to-use) that is manufactured by Monterey Lawn and Garden Products. It's active ingredient is napthaleneacetate (NAA) which is a plant growth regulator. I am not sure if it is labeled for use on white poplar, but you could check at your local garden center. Otherwise complete removal including stump grinding is the other way of eliminating these pesky suckers.

This message was edited May 6, 2009 8:28 AM
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 6, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #6512960

Do robins count as invasives? Stupid bird is invading my pots. It built a nest, which I took out. It started two more and every time I took the mess out. Then it laid an egg sans nest in my pot. I took out the egg and propped up the smooshed plants with stakes. Robin adorned my stakes with grass and mud. I put moth balls in the pot because that keeps sparrows out of my grapevine wreath, but wasn't sure what chemicals are in moth balls and what that would do to the plants. Doesn't seem to bother the Robins. They put mud and grass on the mothballs too.

Thumbnail by duck_toller

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #6513023

Hah! Robins seem to get a little crazed once they find a nesting spot they like. Silly birds.

We had one that invaded our garage a few years back. I kept taking out the nest and shooing it away because I knew when the garage door was closed it wouldn't be able to get in and out. So, we'd chase it away, close the door, and hope that the robin would choose another nesting location. But it would lurk in the trees, scolding us, and dart in the minute the garage door opened. That was one determined robin!

It built a nest, and we tore it down. It built another, and we tore it down again. Every time it managed to sneak in and out between us (or the kids) opening and closing the garage door. Eventually it did give up, but it was clearly not happy with us. It didn't realize that we had its best interests in mind.
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 6, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6513131

Hey, if Robins count, than my squirrels must be right up there with the worst . . .they dig up everything-in pots, in the ground, it doesn't matter. I have to surround everything with rocks or mothballs.
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #6513227

Oh, don't even get me started on the wildlife! Squirrels and bunnies are at the top of my "hate" list. It's too bad I can't shoot a gun in the city, legally, anyway. I have to remove a weeping spruce due to the bunnies eating the bottom off of the plant and making it now look ridiculous.

Since Robin's are native, it's actually a felony to disturb the birds or their nests. Don't ever let anyone see you destroying a robin nest (or any other native bird, for that matter) as it can land you in a lot of trouble. Non-native birds are another story and you can destroy the birds or their nests all you want.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #6513399

treelover, yes...thanks for the tip. I do know about that now, but I didn't then. We found a baby robin the following spring (after the one tried to nest in our garage) and called our nearby wildlife shelter for advice. They had us move the abandoned baby to a sheltered place and watch to see if its mother was coming by to feed it. She was. A few days later, the fledgling was gone. I only hope it finally figured out how to fly or relocated to another place and that the feral cats our neighbor used to feed didn't find it first.

I love robins, and we only wanted to keep the one trying to nest in our garage from getting trapped either inside or out, but I'd definitely call the wildlife shelter first before moving a nest again. They gave us good advice.

Here's a link for more info on native birds and laws regarding relocating nests:
http://www.sialis.org/mbta.htm
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 6, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #6513456

Just got off the phone with the Wisconsin DNR. It is not a felony to remove Robin nests. They ask that you do so before there are eggs, and if there are eggs to call Wildlife Management 1-800-433-0663 about relocating nests.

the person I talked to said it is a felony to hunt, trap, or possess native birds in Wisconsin. I don't know about the other states here in the Upper Midwest.

[Wow this contradicts the other web site ... are the DNR people confused?!]

This message was edited May 6, 2009 2:52 PM
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6513493

Talk about invaisive,she had 3 in that little house,should have seen her trying to coax them out,she actully pulled them out,she moved them across the woods took her 24 hrs to get all 3 mved we watched all day,good thing she moved them ,we were getting ready to move the whole box and all.cute but destructive.

Thumbnail by huggergirl

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2009
8:02 PM

Post #6513503

Or maybe the website is. But the website supports what the Wildlife in Need Center told me. They did say, though, that it was hardly ever enforced except where people were caught doing malicious things. They told me no one would complain about me moving a nest out of a garage that was closed 80% of the time, since I had the bird's interests at heart. I imagine it's the same with you and the birds nesting in your flower pots.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #6513963

If we're speaking of any invasives, I second the bunnies and squirrels. Robins haven't really bothered me, only this year one has built a nest on the down spout at the back of the house and has a fit when I go out the slider door of the sun room. Too bad I hang clothes in the warm months and she will just have to get used to it or move.

Last fall I planted 5 Landini Asiatic lily bulbs and every day for a week I'd go out and they were dug up (squirrels). I kept replanting them and finally put extra heavy amount of cayenne pepper on top of the bed. They stayed in the ground after that. I was surprised to see them coming up this year, I was sure they were toast after all that.

Also Creeping Jenny is a no-no for me and Oriental Limelight Artemisia. I have way more than I planted of both. 1 Oriental Limelight is now a whole bed and I dug it up last year. The creeping jenny was in the whiskey barrel I had planted in and it hit the ground. I'm forever pulling that out too.

The Lady's bells? Wish I knew that last year before I planted 2 of them. Guess we all know what I'm in for...
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 7, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #6514726

oh, hugger you made me laugh. great photo.
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 7, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6515104

Cececoogan, do you find that the cayenne works well for you? Last year I used moth balls but really hated the smell and was always afraid one of the grandkids would get ahold of them. I got some stuff at the nursery tonight-it smells like garlic and it's supposed to repel squirrels "naturally"-we'll see!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6515149

Liquid fence has garlic and pee yew and the blasted bunnies I had were babies and I guess they weren't listening to mama bunny when she said they didn't like it. They ate my tulips, my clematis and 3 of my Orienpet lilies. Cayenne is what my grans always used so decided to try it and for me it has worked miracles. None of the 10 'planted have not only started through the soil but 6 of them are about 6" tall. I have loads of tulips that haven't been eaten and all lilies in 5 different beds have not only come up but are so tall. I guess I'll stick with the cayenne pepper and leave the liquid fence at the garden center. We always have that in the house. I cook with it most often than not.

This message was edited May 7, 2009 6:38 AM
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 7, 2009
10:55 AM

Post #6516036

How often do you have to reapply the cayenne? I could get a big bottle at Walmart or Costco. I like the thought of using that even more than the commercial stuff but was never sure how to use it.
Thanks!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2009
11:37 AM

Post #6516137

I sprinkle the cayenne in on the bulb when planting them keeps the voles from burying and eating them. Then I sprinkle it on the ground after planting. When they start peeping through the ground this spring I sprinkled some on the emerging foliage and they haven't been bothered at all. I even had tulips this spring. Last year every bloom but 2 or 3 were snapped off by bunnies.

I bought this great big bottle at 7-Mile fair last year and dh laughed because we don't use THAT much is said. When I told him it was for the bunnies and my tulips, lilies, and Clematis he had a fit I was paying 9 bucks to keep the bunnies away. But hey there;s not even a dent in it yet.

BOTTOM LINE: I have tulips, my 9 out 10 lilies are up and growing and my Clematis Jackmanii is about 2 feet tall. I will swear by it.
Goldenberry
Northeast, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6517517

Things I planted that are incredibly invasive: Chocolate Joe Pye Weed (it's everywhere, it's everywhere!) and Ladybells. The Ladybells were soooo pretty when planted last year, and this spring they are taking over the flower bed and extending out into the lawn. I'm debating whether it's worthwhile to try 'containing' them or better to pull them out.

Northern Sea Oats is another one. But I'm trying to use its invasiveness to advantage by transplanting some in back where the creeping charlie is continually taking over. Maybe those two can duke it out!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #6519595

I can't even get Chocolate Joe Pye to germinate by seed...
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6522192

Watch out for those Ladybells, Goldenberry. They also spread (at least in my yard) by seed. As I mentioned above, they have popped up in every one of my flower beds and once they establish themselves in amongst other plants they are almost impossible to get rid of. So if you decide to keep them a while longer, do not let them make seeds.
keelybird57
Aurora, IL

May 8, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6522368

No one has mentioned morning glory vines. Apparently, previous owners had kids and they planted seeds along the fence. That was 10 years ago. I'm still fighting them. They wrap around every plant I put in to the ground. If I don't keep up on th weeding, they become so entangled in my flowers that I can't get them out.

Also, those vines that grow up the outside of the house. And lily of the valley, buckthorn, and maple seedlings.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #6522409

Maple seedlings I HATE them!!!! My lawn is full of them and I'm constantly pulling them from my garden beds. I figure things this way though...if my gardens all died tomorrow I could always start a tree farm.

I don't know I love my Lily-of-the-Valley. Course where I have it it can do whatever it wants and its fine with me.

I went out and got to looking. The lady's bells I planted last year has moved under the fence to the neighbors yard. Don't think she'll mind though because there is nothing over there on that side but a dead evergreen, garlic mustard and mud. Course she has a dandelion field in her front yard.
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #6522411

keelybird,
I hear you on the morning glory vines. I made the mistake of planting Grandpa Ott and I am still battling the vines. Grandpa Ott is not as bad as the other invasive plants that I listed, though. I just noticed that my Creeping Charlie is blooming in my perennial bed. I guess the only way to get rid of it is to dig everything out and remove the vines and replant. Can't use the same broadleaved herbicide that I use on the lawn. Bummer.
Mike
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #6522749

I'm so with you on the maple seedlings, cece. Worst thing is, the people who had this house before me were renters, and they didn't take care of the yard at ALL. I have maple seedlings that have matured into saplings. And I have scrub trees with trunks a couple inches in diameter all over the place. My yard is such a mess. The amount of work sometimes totally overwhelms me. :(

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6523318

The people who lived here before we bought it at least took care of the yard. Not a single flower to be found, when I asked the woman what flowers she had planted (we looked at the house in March all snow) she told me not a single one, I don't do flowers. I asked her how she went through spring and summer and fall with no color she said very easily. That was the selling point for me, half acre with free rein to plant whatever my little heart desired and that has been 5 years in May and I'm still a-planting.

I go out to do a garden walk with my coffee I can pull up at least 20 maple seedlings out of my 17+ garden beds each time.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2009
11:36 PM

Post #6523592

That does sound like fun, cece! There's nothing like a blank slate.

It was kind of fun to see the surprises here this spring. I was pleasantly surprised by roses, daffodils, daylilies (even though I don't know what kind of daylilies they are yet) and a ton of ferns.

The unpleasant surprise was that the lawn is covered in thistles, dandelions, creeping Charlie and other thugs. I'd guess that the lawn is at least 75% weeds to 25% grass. If I had the means it'd be a case of "scrap it and start over." All I have to do is win some sort of contest for, say, $25,000 in free landscaping. ;)

Meanwhile, I guess I'll just keep plugging away a little bit at a time. I have one bed refurbished, and that makes me happy. If I think of all the work the rest of the yard needs, I get totally depressed.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #6523660

Does Bind Weed count as Wild Morning GLory Vine? i battle that every year.

I planted GrandPa Ott, and have not found it invasive. Guess I got lucky on that one.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #6523727

I did grandpa ott this spring in long containers that i will put along some lattice fencing for it to climb. O was hoping to 'contain; it somewhat. We'll see how that goes for this season.
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 9, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #6525607

One year I had a plant I didn't recognize coming up. I tried to look it up without great success. It got very tall, had wonderful fluffy, sort of burr like, purple flowers but was too huge for the space. So when it was with a couple cycles of blooming I dug it up and threw it away. Didn't realize it had seeded throughout that flower bed and good part of that side of the yard. I spent years digging up babies after that.

The plant was teasel which I guess came out of my bird seed according to my neighbor. Horrible stuff to eradicate once introduced.
Goldenberry
Northeast, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6526277

tcs1366, if you're ever near Wilmette, stop by and I'll gladly give you some! The volunteers don't have as deep purple leaves as the original, though. But the flowers are still white.
wadeinthewater
Verona, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 10, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6529386

Has anyone else had a corn flower invasion. they're actually very pretty, buuuuuttttt...they're everywhere. I started with just a few when we moved in, I think they love my soil amendement of compost and mulch, I can't decide to pull or enjoy. oh yea and mint, spearmint, peppermint...it's almost scary what happens undergound with those. you start pulling a root and it can take you for miles.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6529510

I've got that "wild" mint... and the only way I can tell the difference between that and the Agastaches I planted, is the aroma of the leaves. I'd be sick if i pulled some of the ones i really wanted... so i always rub and sniff the leaves. I got some last week that slightly smell like Bubble Gum. I think that was the Purple Pygmy.

I hope they all behave.
DianeEG
Galva, IL

May 13, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6544059

I'll say one thing: apparently in the UMW, we all are exposed to the same invasives. Mine are an onion/garlic that someone gave me, bless them, that is so tough it even raises the bricks in my walks. Roundup will not kill. Creeping Charlie, tawny daylilies and violets that I have come to semi-accept. Maple and elm seedlings. Bind weed, water grass, comfrey and wild carrot.. We live on 3 acres in the country and the house had been abandoned for several years. I will always have invasives no matter how hard I work at removing.

As a side note: I heard a group of women talking about a neighbor who had over 1,000 daylilies. Their comments were only about the fact he had grass in his beds. Funny, I had walked his beds and only saw the beautiful daylilies. I guess I have more tolerence because I know how difficult it is to eliminate all weeds and invasives from every bed in a big yard. Here's to trying and here's to being able to enjoy our yards anyway.

Image: Bindweed

Thumbnail by DianeEG

bmblsad
Northfield, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 15, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #6553388

I don't know that I can call this an invasive just yet because this is the first time I've seen it in my garden and I have no clue what it is. It's sprung up in various places, looks a little bit like chives but isn't. Does anyone know what it is?

Thumbnail by bmblsad

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2009
10:55 AM

Post #6555406

DianeEG,you said it all,wellI think i almost look forward to pulling weeds ,ya know thats just an excuse to go out and admire the work we have done,as for seeing flowers ,and not the undesireables me too!!!!
sjdnbwi
New Berlin, WI

May 18, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6562472

Definitely Creeping Charlie is the worst. It seems to LOVE my vegetable garden. I could spend 24/7 pulling it. I try not to use chemicals and the Borax solution did not work for me. In the image it is about to 'attack' the cukes and tomatoes. But, we also have some vines with small white 'trumpet-like' (could be Bindweed) that consumed our bushes. Last year our family all but broke our backs removing all the landscape rock, pulling plants and roots, and relaying landscape fabric, etc.

Thumbnail by sjdnbwi

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 18, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6566186

My parents.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6566616

lol Jeannie!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #6566786

Now Jeannie...LOL

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 19, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #6568162

Tee hee! They just spent the weekend here. My dad talks non-stop!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #6568205

Do I remember THOSE days...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America