Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Your worst invasive

Verona, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm really fighting buckthorn along the edge of the woods. It totally blocks anything else from getting a foot hold. And it is the most prolific thing imaginable spawning piles of black berries each fall that all germinate. I don't know how many hours I've spent sitting in the mulch pulling little seedlings out. The UW arboretum says the only way to deal with them is to burn them out, so I got an acetylene torch and tried that - one by one, but that didn't even work...am I desperate or what? I hear some nurseries still sell them!! Then there's the garlic mustard, but don't get me started...what's your worst invasive. Perhaps we can save each other from planting a monster.

Middleton, WI(Zone 4b)

Wild grape vines, virginia creeper, some-sort of nasty onion thing, and crab grass. Though my worst "destroyers" are tent caterpillars and jap beetles.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Garlic Mustard and Creeping Charlie are my biggest invader, and Mulberry trees. They pop up along the foundation of our out buildings along with Boxelder trees.

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

arrgg,chickweed,creeping charlie !!

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

garlic mustard and creeping charlie here also. My biggest problem with the garlic mustard is that the next door neighbor thinks its pretty and won't pull it. I hate the idea of threatening with calling the county extension to see what I can do about it she's really a sweet lady.......so I just keep pulling and pulling and **tching and pulling. Forever and a day.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

My garlic mustard is coming from the fence row where the farmer doesn't plow. There are lots of trees and he can't get close enough. The battle will begin, again, soon.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5b)

Creeping charlie and wild violets, a continual battle!!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I too have Buckthorn, Black Locus, Garlic Mustard ... the wild Grape i've pretty much dealt with over the years and it's not an issue anymore. the mustard i am constantly pulling ...trying to get it while it's young this season.
For the weeds, i am not using any herbicide ... but when i cut back the invasive trees, i give them a dab of Ortho 'something' to keep them from regrowing.... it's been working so far.

I've got other stuff that i dont even know what it's called.. OH yes, and bindweed!! that is nasty.

At first when i saw this topic.. i was thinking it was for something we actually planted... for me, what has become a nuisance -- Ditch Lilies!! I"m trying to eradicate them from the side of my garage.... i think there are only about 10 that have come up this year... but i'm gonna nip those .... I've been filing in the area with Hostas, and i dont want anything competing with them...well, those darned ferns too... but hopefully i'll find good homes for them.

This will be my third year digging up ferns that snuck under the fence from the neighbors, I was finally getting the upper hand last fall so hopefully not many to get rid of this year, we will see. Amazing that such a delicate looking plant can be sooo tough!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

this is what my area looks like mid-summer.... literally swallows up everything else there. THey dont keep anything from growing... but they are just too thick... then they pop up in the lawn.... and YIKES, i started with about 10.

Thumbnail by tcs1366

Looks familiar! My neighbors started with just one that was a gift, now they're all over their yard, keep popping up in their lawn and have snuck out under the fences.

You're going to give yours away? What, to your worst enemies?? :-)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL/// no, to peeps who actually want these things.

I have a dear friend and all she has is shade... she wants them..i tell her just to come over with a shovel and a large bucket ... and there is a gal on Daves that wants some too.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm not sure what's going to be my worst, since this is my first growing season here...but I know that dandelions and thistles always seem to want to invade my gardens, and I hate them. I've pulled a few dandelion greens already.

I've found this little thug growing all over. Is this creeping charlie? Bleah.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Ground ivy, sometimes known as creeping charlie.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks, LTilton. And ooooh, goodie. heh

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Creeping charlie-gets into my ground cover. I keep hand pulling the garlic mustard across the road, so that it doesn't spread into my garden. Have called the city to cut down weeds. they cut down the little gardens that a bunch of us were planting across the road "on city property" and then just let the weeds grow! Too bad I have their phone #!

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Go get'um there Marcia. Keep that phone just a ringing.

Tomah, WI

Creeping charlie is the bane of my existance. Keeps creeping in from the neighbors yard.

I unfortuately helped get my worst weeds started,back when I didnt know any better,cow manaure not fully composted,got chickweed,nettle,jimson(nightshade).Then I moved creepy charlie in with a boatload of peonies,thank god i have learned a lot since then.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

CREEPING CHARLIE!!!!! Hate it hate it hate it. I can keep out of the beds ok, but it's so far impossible to eradicate from the lawn. We have wild violets but I don't mind them as much. My DH doesn't like the clover, but that doesn't bother me too much either, although I know our neighbors wouldn't like it if it spread from our lawn to theirs. So we try to keep it in check. But I'm doing my best to garden "greener", and some stuff I've read says clover is good for lawns? Not that creeping charlie though. Ugh.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

One of the University sites had success with creeping charlie by using Borax in hot hot water and pouring it on them. I used it when we had a mini farm but with 7 acres I couldn't keep up with it. Hasn't been too big a problem here, as we try hard to spot any early creepers and anihilate them while still young. The CC, not us ....we're way past young.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

OK, am I the only one with wild onion in my yard??? Oh, my God, it's horrible! If you don't get it up from the bulb, they effort you just spent pulling only to have it tear off a quarter inch above ground are for naught! Then, there are the little "one blade" sprigs of it that you have to go real deep to get the bulb from the one *&^#@ blade!!! I'm organic so far but . . . : (

At least dandelions are SATISFYING to pull out!

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

TSC, you don't like your Ostrich Ferns??? They're beautiful! I bought 9 when I moved to this house 17 years ago and they multiply and I love 'em!!! Want some of my wild onion instead? : )

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH, i have the onion too. WHen my son was smaller, he found some way out back in a field... thought he'd like some closer to home, so planted it ... I do find it in a lot more place.

IT's not that i dont like the ferns... i do... but they multiply like rabbits!!

I'll swap ya for some JPW.
when does that pop up in the garden, and how well does it transplant?

nothing doin' with the ferns yet... but someone said it's best to move them before they start to unfurl... though others have said you can do it at anytime... though i have not had much luck with moving them.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

I was looking for my Joe Pye because I know you want some. I haven't seen it yet - but, it's a late summer bloomer, so I think it peeks up later. I will keep and eye out and the minute I see it, we can swap!!

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Here it's bindweed. I got it somewhat under control in the front yard last year, but it is still rampant in the back yard.

I've been planning on buying some fern. Are they all that invasive?

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Onions?? How I hate them!

Not at all like the nice alliums.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I'll take any of those ferms you want to unload, we have a long shaded area under a line of trees that doesn't support much of anything, if they wanted to they could multiply there all they want. Are you coming to the RU in June? Bring your huddled masses.....etc.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>Are you coming to the RU in June?

I am considering it this year.... really so hard to pass up, with it being so close [to lake delton] would have went last year, but the flooding... and i do think this year it is NOT Father's Day weekend.

>>I've been planning on buying some fern. Are they all that invasive?

momcat -- no they are not invasive, and it may depend on the fern. These just fill in quickly [say 5 yrs or so]
It's just that the bed in question is quite narrow, I'm trying to fill it in with other plants [Hostas, Astilbes, etc] and the ferns are so established, that they 'swallow' everything else up... plus shoot up in my lawn [ya just run them over with the mower]. I really do lover ferns .... i would just call these a 'nuisance' not invasive.

Happy Easter.

Ferns its kind of a love hate thing !!! Iam a newbie at dg,i havent set up to trade yet.busy with seedlings and lights 1st time,making paper pots and repotting today.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

well then.... Welcome to Dave's huggergirl!!

Terese

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

hi Terese, Welcome hugger. BEV

Thanks Ladies, Tamara

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Heya Bev... Happy Easter.

got any hostas poking up? jonesin' for a piece of your Guacamole. ;-)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Well - i was out in my north bed - cleaning [boy is that wind COLD, whipping out of the east] and i'm trying to find a place to put H. June. Too many ferns.... every time i see a lil opening in the ferns, i see lil pips of a hosta peeking up at me... so -- i NEED to remove ferns. some have the slightest bit of green showing.

I think i'm out of larger 'nursery' pots to put them.... if i see my neighbor, i may ask her.

oh well... so many plants, so little time.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Yes I have a lot of pop ups. Will get you a piece as soon as I can.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

:-)

Spicer, MN

Got to say that my 'monsters' are quack grass, burdock and Canadian/musk thistle.

Mankato, MN(Zone 4a)

Mine are quack grass, creeping charlie & burdock

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Spotted knapweed and quack grass

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.