Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Wildlife Friendly Gardening: Certifying Your Yard as a NWF Wildlife Habitat: Passing grade

Communities > Forums > Article: Wildlife Friendly Gardening: Certifying Your Yard as a NWF Wildlife Habitat
bookmark
Forum: Article: Wildlife Friendly Gardening: Certifying Your Yard as a NWF Wildlife HabitatReplies: 18, Views: 116
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2009
7:15 AM

Post #6385425

Hey Critter, my yard passes! We lost some trees and I fight my DH to keep a brush pile. I even have a toad who lives under the patio. It is a very good process to review a yard, I encourage everyone to visit.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2009
12:06 PM

Post #6385724

I did the certification years ago. I'm glad to see they still have the program. It seemed to me rather easy to meet the requirements. Do they still give you a plastic sign? Mine got 'worn out' from the sun.
Pretty pictures and the colored border is nice on them.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6386161

My sign is metal, and yes they still have them (for an additional fee).

:-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6386168

I'm glad you both enjoyed the article. Thanks for your comments!

(Cathy, tell DH the brush pile has to stay -- it's a garden "feature" not a problem!)
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 9, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #6386435

What a great iniative! Thanks Critter. I have a perfect spot behind my compost to create a brush pile from my prunings. I'm happy that I meet alot of the other criteria.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6386458

I get a kick out of being officially certified now, but I think one of the best things about the process is reading through their criteria and getting additional ideas... You're going to be amazed at how many more garden visitors you'll have with that brush pile!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #6386771

Two people walk past my garden, a man and a woman. The woman says "wow, what an amazing garden!" The man answers " What? THAT f#%^*^ jungle?!"

It's in the beholder of ... the nest!

CC

The young man in the photo is my apprentice, showing off! ( he is also my son :-) )

Thumbnail by mrs_colla
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6386785

Everybody should have such an apprentice! What a cutie. And the flowers behind him look good, too! :-)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6387329

That sign might avert a few critical comments on some ' intensely planted' front yards. (Comments from the un-enlightened)

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #6387822

I am sooooo laughing at myself right now. I've wanted to do this for years. I thought that this year, I might actually qualify. OMG! I was checking everything. I passed with flying colors. I'm so excited. Thank you for making it so easy with the great article!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6387940

I've been debating whether to put my sign in front or in back... in front may be more visible to the HOA enthusiasts! LOL

Congrats, Elphaba... are you going to send in your application & become "official?"

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #6388151

Yep, paid for the sign and everything! Most of my neighbors like my garden and give me lots of compliments. The neighbor behind me, however, told me it was a mess and used a very nasty name. He's been extraordinarily nice to me lately, so I think he regrets his temper tantrum. It will be nice to have a proper explanation of my "mess" should anyone as short-sighted as he is complain again. He solved "the mess" problem in his yard by cementing it. That's all right though, all the little animals can come and live in my yard!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2009
10:01 PM

Post #6388347

Oh dear, I have a backyard neighbor like that, too. His idea of perfect landscaping is uninterrupted green grass (he told me that once), so you know my cottage garden is absolutely not his style. But his kids like the flowers, so maybe he'll eventually come around LOL. He planted a hedge row of Leland cypress, so between those and the crooked willow I planted in the corner (he hated that initially also but told me last summer how much he loved it LOL), his view of my yard is pretty well screened off. That should make him happier. :-)

Maybe I need one sign in front and another in back, where my neighbor can see it...

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #6388394

LOL, two signs! Hmmmm...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6388804

All I need is the water ... I'm so afraid of extra mosquitoes. I'll get over it - my insurance guy thinks our brush pile is a fire hazard, though. I told him it was a compost pile.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6389869

Depending on the size of your water feature, you can add mosquito dunks, or fish, or just keep the water moving (mosquitoes prefer still water).

LOL@ your insurance guy... good answer for him!

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #6391969

Ditto on the mosquito prevention with one addition: dragonfly nymphs. One of my ponds doesn't have fish b/c I use it for plants. It has moving water but not that much. However, I can't even pull a leaf out of the pond without pulling up a dragonfly nymph. I don't know how it works in colder climates, but here, I have nymphs in that pond all year munching on mosquito larvae. The best part is that I didn't have to do anything. The dragonflies came, laid eggs and took care of it for me.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 11, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6393686

We are fortunate to have dragonflies too. I think there will always be a 'manicured' gardener in every neighbourhood. I practise 'messy gardening' as I try to be waterwise and we've been in drought. The leaf debris not only retains moisture, it also makes great homes and breeding grounds for my goodguy bugs.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #6395486

You have dragonflies? In z. very cold? Where do I get some? Lol.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Wildlife Friendly Gardening: Certifying Your Yard as a NWF Wildlife Habitat Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
mmmm phicks 5 Apr 9, 2009 10:06 PM
Beautiful! adinamiti 8 Apr 12, 2009 7:15 AM
Habitat Rocco 1 Apr 13, 2009 8:47 PM
Thank you! perry124 1 Apr 13, 2009 8:48 PM
Brush piles tcs1366 21 Apr 20, 2009 12:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America