Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Skunk and Pet Problems in the Suburban and Rural Garden: Good Information

Communities > Forums > Article: Skunk and Pet Problems in the Suburban and Rural Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Skunk and Pet Problems in the Suburban and Rural GardenReplies: 0, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
catwatcher
Newport Beach, CA

April 9, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #6386724

Interesting article, especially from a vet. We're in a suburban area in So. Cal., and skunks go thru the yard fairly frequently certain times of the year. There are lots of grubs in the sandy soil, and I can see where they've been digging. We can smell them, too, at night as they pass through the yard, especially in the summer, late spring, and early fall when the windows are open. Also, the night before trash day seems to be a popular time for smelling them as they make their rounds. However, I've never seen one tip or climb into a trash can, like racoons sometimes do. I've looked out the window in the middle of the night against a dark background in the yard where the double white stripe is a dead giveaway. One morning before sunrise many years back, I looked out onto the back porch and saw a skunk drinking out of the water dish. After that, I always, always dump the water dish at night before I go to bed and refill it it in the morning. That was a little too close for comfort.

I often worry about encounters with the cats, but as territorial as the cats seem to be they won't take on a skunk or racoon, thankfully. We have been presented with baby opposums, usually still alive. So, they can be released after we lock up the cats in the house. I can handle that better than the rats they sometimes bring in, too (though usually already dead). I am concerned about the rabies and parasites, but we do keep their vaccinations current and apply monthly flea control medications. Thanks for the article. It was useful to read this information.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Skunk and Pet Problems in the Suburban and Rural Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice Article! nanny_56 3 Apr 8, 2009 9:17 PM
Skunk Odor Remedy Sharonpatricia 0 Apr 6, 2009 3:24 PM
Had a skunk in my garden wvgardendeva 0 Apr 6, 2009 11:05 PM
Ferret smell overrated plushweasels 2 Apr 10, 2009 5:49 AM
Thanks Geoff! Terry 0 Apr 7, 2009 8:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America