Social Security Disability Paying Taxes

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

How much is the federal tax on Social Security Disability, how is it paid, auto deduct or yearly with filing. Is SSD also state taxable?
Any info appreciated.
Candee

Dayton, TX(Zone 9a)

Social Security paid due to disability is treated the same as regular Social Security payments as far as taxation. Whether or not the SS payments are taxable depends on the total of other income. For example, for a Married Filing Joint Return taxpayer, if the sum of one half of the SS plus outher income exceeds $32000 (for 2008), a portion of the SS payment is taxable at the taxpayers regular tax rate. The portion which is taxable depends on how much the $32000 threshold is exceeded. As for payment, there can be voluntary withholding from monthly payments, or the amount due can be paid when filing the income tax return.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the info kenefick. I wonder how you determine how much tax to have withheld, what percentage. I guess just do the math depending on income.

Abington, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm very interested in this thread. I was approved for SSD in January, but I have yet to see my lump sum payment. I f anybody has any ideas about who I should speak to about this I'd appreciate it. It's already a month and a half overdue. I've been told that the checks are issued out of Baltimore, MD. But no one I've spoken to is willing to call Baltimore and find out what the status of my check is.

Is there anybody out there who's been thru this and if so, what did you do to rectify the situation? Any help is appreciated.

Greg

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Do you have your approval letter? You have to wait 5 months after the date they say you became disabled before you get your first check. For instance, Steve became disabled 1/30/09 and so will not get his first check until August for the month of July. Could that be the delay on your end?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images