Photo by Melody

Gingers: Do you think you could help me ID these Gingers?

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 9, Views: 120
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6389224

(After sharing a garden the past two years with my MIL I'm finding she had things I have no clue what to call! She had a stroke last October and is now in a NH.)

Thanks in advance for your help!
~ Carole

Thumbnail by Cajun2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6389227

I realize it would be far easier with blooms, but if I don't know how to care for them there may not BE any blooms!!

Thumbnail by Cajun2

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 12, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6397283

#1 doesn't look like a ginger. It looks like a ground orchid, maybe Bletillia?

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #6397298

Cajun... Ask a neighbor / friend of hers what they remember about the plant. Color of bloom, how tall, etc. Also see if you have any family pictures taken in her yard that might show a bloom, even blurry might help.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2009
7:33 AM

Post #6398516

Cajun - I agree with gothqueen - it does look like a bletilla striata. I live in zone 9b, and mines are coming up and blooming. So the timing is right. The most common colors are purple and white. If it is what we think it is, don't worry about taking care of it. They take care of themselves, and multiply like crazy in the ground.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6399262

Thanks, Guys! Unfortunately I don't believe it bloomed last year at all. Thinking we only added them a couple of years ago and they weren't very big. They've definitely multiplied but not bloomed yet. For sure when they bloom, I'll know better what they are.

Sheila, FYI - this mother moved in with us July 2005 and we have shared the garden/yard for years now. It's just she & I grew different things and I wasn't entirely familiar with her plants. I know she loved Gingers, but also Orchids so that's highly likely on the ID.

So far, so good on all the ID's I've requested ;-)

Judging by the expected bloom time, I should be able to post pics of the blooms and close this out for sure.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2009
7:18 AM

Post #6402372

Cajun2 - here is a photo of a Bletilla striata in my garden.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2009
7:20 AM

Post #6402374

and if you're lucky, you'll have a patch like this in a couple of years. I would definitely get it out of the pot. If it is a Bletilla, it likes to spread.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6403534

that's great, soils! those are beautiful in a bed, so i'll definitely be transplanting these.

anyone have any idea on the 2nd one? i should probably go in and clean out the dead stuff and take another picture. if i knew when it bloomed, or even what it was, i'm sure it will help with their care.
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

April 13, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6403801

I think the second one is false cardamom ginger. Its an alpinia, I think A. elliteria (that is misspelled) and it is extremely hardy. It almost never blooms. I have had it for over 10 years and it has never bloomed. It takes down to the very low 20's before it burns or freezes back, and eventually (here anyway) becomes invasive

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America