Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Flower show and designs HELP

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 56, Views: 244
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
5:53 AM

Post #6390177

Help, I'm new to this and my granddaughter who is 9 wants to enter the flower and iris show at the end of the month and I don't understand what they are wanting when they list one stem or a spray with open bloom under the horticulture like for annuals. And under the rose it list the miniature, grown disbudded, does this mean a potted plant or just a stem from one? And under design the theme is Welcome to the Wild, Wild West and one of the class names is Dance Hall Dolly, design incorporating rhythm and motion, not sure what this means, I asked one of the lady's in garden club that does design and she looked at me like I was a dunce and said the flowers should show movement, and I went but their cut and in the foam stuff how can they move. Please I would appricate any help, I've never done any of this and as my husband say's this is the first girly, girl we've ever had, out of 5 girls raised on the ranch and I don't want to discourage her from doing this she is really good and enjoys it and we enjoy her designs when they come home. Sorry this is so long, but I really don't have a clue where to begin getting info to help me on this and everyone on Dave's has always came threw. Thanks Susan
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2009
5:02 AM

Post #6394381

bump
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #6398116

Hi Susan - welcome to this forum. It has been a little quiet here, but there are some in the forum who does have flower club or professional arranging experience. Hopefully they will be back to help you out. I am a very casual stick it in the vase type of arranger.

Good luck to you and your granddaughter.

Dianne

susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
5:07 AM

Post #6402206

Thats the kind of arranger I am when I have the time and its usually fake flowers at that. She really enjoys this so we try to help where we can. Thanks Susan
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 15, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6414597

Hi Susan, Welcome!
It's great to hear your Granddaughter likes to make arrangements!
I don't know about the horticulture entries, but I'm guessing the miniture rose means a potted plant with all the buds removed except for one which will grow a bigger rose.
Is your Granddaughter going to enter the 'Dance Hall Dolly' theme? Has she had any ideas yet? An arrangement in a pair of dancing shoes might be fun! I'm sure she has ideas of her own.
'Rhythm and Motion' just means arranging the plant material in the foam in such a way that the natural curves show movement.
Please don't let the snooty flower ladies put you off, they should remember that all the Granddaughters are the future of these flower shows!! Hope this helps a bit, Good Luck!
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6416198

Thank you I'm still a little lost but there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel,lol. Do you mean when the flowers are placed in the container to place them where there is like and 2 or wavey design to them, Like small on one side, medium then larger? We have an oval shaped glass bowl that we can do this in. And yes she is entering 8 designs, four for flowers and 4 with iris as the vocal point. For her line designs we have a holster and belt that will be put on stands that make it hang at an angle and in the holster she wants to put just a single flower or iris since this one is a line design and for the other use a toy rifle and placed at a slant and place a flower or iris in the barrel. The other is a mass design and its name is Pairie Sunset and I have a ceremic horse drinking out of a tough that she is going to place flowers in and then we have a bowl for the other design and she has two ceremic people that sit on the side of a tabel to show them as sitting in the sunset. And the the other is Circle the Wagons which is a wreath design, and we have a lot of things for that, barbarbed wire, an old wheel, etc. so that is the easy one. What do you think of her ideas for the others. Sorry this is so long but I want to be able to help her, I've looked at any designs I could find on the internet to get ideas of what they are wanting. She is in 4-H too and can use this with her gardening projects. Thanks for your help. Susan
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 16, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6419809

Hi Susan, don't worry about your post, long or short it's nice to meet you!
Your GD has some great ideas there. Is she making any using floral foam?
Would love to see the containers she is using and any of her practice arrangements if possible LoL!
I'll see if I can find anything to show movement and post later.
Terri
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6420626

Ok is that the green stuff you wet and put in the bottem of the vase to hold the flowers? Can you tell we are rodeo and ranch people. LOL Susan
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 17, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6420924

Yes! LoL!

Thumbnail by terriculture
Click the image for an enlarged view.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 17, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6420956

I've been looking through my pictures to find something that has movement, this little chair with tulips has the foam inside it. I used dried spirals wrapped around some tulips and the way some are popping out gives it some movement,
(without it moving) LoL!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 17, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6420978

a bit more movement...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 17, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6421020

Bear grass is good for making a nice curve.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 17, 2009
12:54 AM

Post #6421042

A line arrangement, the stems are tall at the back and cut shorter and arranged in a line infront of each other.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 17, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #6421058

Here 2 of the lines are made up with chinese lanterns skewered together.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 17, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #6421084

The back should always be neat and tidy! Here I used red lentils to cover the foam and to add texture.
Coloured pins are great to keep things in place and to add decoration.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #6422096

Terri - I knew you would be able to jump in and help Susan!
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2009
4:16 AM

Post #6422118

Yes this has helped a lot, after we get back on mon from the antique tractor pull I can start helping her with the designs for next weekend. Never a dull moment around here, we go from tractor pulls this weekend, to a flower show on next sat and then to a horse show on sun.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 17, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #6423807

If there's anything else I can do, if she needs any help, I'll try my best!!!
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2009
4:01 AM

Post #6435278

Thank You very much. Susan
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 20, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #6438903

Your're welcome! Hope your GD will give us a sneek preview of her designs or containers!
Will GD be using flowers from your garden? Life sounds busy on the ranch.
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #6439021

I'll post picture's when she has them threw before they go to the show and at the show too with her there. She will be using a few from here but we've lived here nearly 20 years but I've just now started a yard, rising the kids was more important than flowers but I have time to devote to them now, I think. lol. And thanks again now we have a good idea of how to get this started. Susan
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2009
7:18 AM

Post #6441049

Susan - know exactly what you mean about raising kids and flowers. I did not have the time to garden the way that I wanted until 10 years ago when my youngest started junior high school. It also helped that we had a big freeze in the early 90's and killed most of the existing plants that were here when we bought the house in 1989, and I can start from scratch to grow what i wanted.
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #6441521

I had to wait till all of mine had moved from home, they would still tie their fat stock in the yard or the horse's to bath them, and with the granddaughter I've got to say no to that, so now I'm trying to learn how to get stuff to grow. I get so excited when something grows and blooms, but she likes to garden too so that makes it easyer to keep her animals off the porch and out of the yard. lol. Susan
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 22, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6448827

I'm sure the two of you will have many happy times making the garden together!
My eldest girl (19) came to help me with some digging today, we planted caulifowers and cabbages!
Anything happening on the 'arrangement' ideas yet? LoL!
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #6449269

We will put the holders and other stuff together tomorrow and use some fake flowers I have to try different things out and then she will do the designs fri. afternoon so she can take them fri late afternoon to put them up, I'll have my daughter take pictures and email them to me so I can post what she does to take. She is getting excited and some of our friends that have iris blooming have said she can come and cut all she needs for her designs, which is a big help. Thanks for all the help. Susan
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 24, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6457195

I'm looking forward to seeing what GD makes!!
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2009
11:59 AM

Post #6460648

Well we are off to the flower and iris show, the granddaughter took a bunch of plants yesterday and today we take her and her sister's designs. Wish us well. I'll post picture's on mon. Susan
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 25, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #6460658

Good Luck and have fun!
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2009
11:12 AM

Post #6464426

Well we are back from the show and getting ready to head out today for a horse show. But Jennifer did really good she got first with all her iris stalks, first with all of her designs and won the best design ribbon and won first on all her house plants and first and runner up with a mini rose and some mondo grass so she is really happy and now she is studing to be an iris judge she went to her second seminar yesterday at the show, she is just 9. I cant wait till she gets older we are running now it may get worse. lol. I will have picture's when my daughter get time to send them to me. Thanks again for all the help. Susan
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 29, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #6477110

Oh WOW!!! That is FANTASTIC news Susan. Congrats, well done Jennifer!!!
Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #6481460

Ok here is the picture's of Jennifer's and Kayla's designs, they only gave them one table for the designs and their plants so things where really bunched up. Thanks for all the help. Susan

Thumbnail by susan505

susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6481465

one more

Thumbnail by susan505

susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #6481471

the last one. I will definetly be looking around on this site a lot, since they are into the designs now, I need to learn all I can. Thanks again Susan

Thumbnail by susan505

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 1, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #6489771

Lovely designs! Jennifer and Kayla deserved the awards. You must be a very proud Grandma!
Hang out with us anytime Susan, Thanks for sharing this event.
Terri.
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #6491760

Thank You for all your help. Susan
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 3, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #6498385

You are welcome Susan, but I didn't do much, your GD's are very creative, love the boots! I have been looking for cowboy boots for a long time, not something you see much in these parts. LoL!
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6498520

Well I could send you some, they are all over here, no one at my house throws them away just into a closet, lol. I keep telling them I'm going to make planters in my yard with them and the old hats. The ones the girls used were mine that I still wear though and their grandfather and uncles told them to just put water in them and see if they would hold it, I had to dry the boots out before we used them with a vase hid in them. I was really proud of the girls they are 9 and 6 don't know where they got the flair for designing with flowers from. And your pictures help a lot with what theirs should look like. Thanks again. Susan
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 3, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #6498804

The cowboy boots would make great planters, you should do it!! The hats would make cool hanging baskets!
LoL at the uncles and Grandfather, full of ideas!!
I would love a pair of authentic American cowboy boots or a hat.!
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #6499729

I'll send picture's if I decide to use them, and I may use the ones they were just for meanness with pots in them of course, don't want to have to buy new ones expecially when one of the boys wears size 12. LOL Susan
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 4, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #6501526

The older the better with the boots for planters I reckon! Size 12??? Sounds like a giant. LOL! A doulbe planter for those.
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #6503469

Both our boys are 6'5 so yea tall drinks of water neither married, the youngest has had this girl friend for 3 years now which is a record, he is a truck driver, hay farmer and bull dogger so never at home and the oldest is a farmer and owns share's in used car lots too and ride bronc's for fun. They are 25 and 26 respectively and both own business and race horse's on top of every thing else. And then we have 5 girls that are older then them scattered out all over the US. We are like the old song dr.s, lawer's and indian chiefs. with the girls. They range from 30 up to 42 in age. Send me your address I have a gift for you for all your help. Susan
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 5, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6507545

Hi Susan, They sound like strong active boys! Wow and 5 girls, that is a big family. I imagine it was like the Waltons when they were growing up at your place!! I don't think I know that song about the lawyers and indian chiefs.. LoL!
I don't deserve a gift, I didn't do anything!! but, if you insist , how could I refuse? lol! Thanks so much!
Maybe I could send some floristry materials for the girls? I'll dmail you!
backnine
Bolton Landing, NY

May 10, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6530624

does anyone have a good idea for an "underwater Design"? I've done lots of arranging for judged shows but never underwater.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 10, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #6530681

have you looked at the Underwater thread?
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/817166/
Some amazing stuff there - I had roses & thistles in a bowl for my wedding cake table.
looked good but the thistle was frozen & went a bit brown after a while.
My wedding was in the wrong season for fresh thistle.
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #6531430

Jennifer has done one with iris's one open and two in bud's with a fountain thing in the middle that her grandfather made for her and I've seen them with the stems of the top flowers crossed in a clear vase and then a single rose or iris in the middle of the stems. Hope this helps, we are all just learning.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 11, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6535698

Hi backnine, Welcome! Do you have a theme for your underwater arrangement?
I have found most plant material works, my only complete disaster was with lilies.

Hi Susan, sounds like a lovely arrangement that Jennifer made, how nice it was a family creation with her Grandfathers help. I'd love to see that fountain. LoL!

Hi dalfyre, have you got any pictures of your wedding bowl?, bet it was lovely!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 12, 2009
8:00 AM

Post #6537586

I didn't get very good pix of the bowl - I was busy being bride & nobody thought of it... I was a bit cross about that later - I insisted the photographer get pix of the set up for the reception because Jan put so much effort into doing the tables...
I don't think she really got how important those details were to me & really didn't take as many as I would have.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6539209

Well I just landed here and am enamoured that your granddaughters so interested in arranging at such a young age. How refreshing that they like doing this and are quite imaginative with their creations. To me Arranging is one thing that can be enjoyed so much because it is so creative and no two are ever alike, much like painting a canvas. Bravo to the girls!
They have certainly come to the right place for pointers and great tips and tricks.
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #6581638

Thank You, sorry its taken me so long to answer, we are in the middle of our rodeo and horse show season so are gone for days at a time and I don't get on the computer to tour around very much. They seem to have a blast doing the designs so we've added that to our many activites. Susan
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6878180

Hi Susan, Thank you so much for sending me these great cowboy boots. I'm having fun experimenting!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6878192

Amaranthus tassle! they are great boots!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #6878201

Thanks so much!

susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #6879499

I'm glad you are enjoying them, I hope you find a use for the hat too. I really like the designs in them. I may have to copy with silk flowers and put them on my porch. Wonder if the boys would miss a pair or two of boots. lol. I have two pair of old work boots that are now in the yard for decoration and to put plants in. The girls are both busie with fair right now they won runner up champion for the horse show and the rodeo this week and did really good with the general things, skirts, baking etc they entered too. So now its back to the drawing board as this year ends and a new one starts next month for their 4-H projects. Always busy. Everyone one have a good Weekend. Susan
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6879971

Susan you have been quite the inspiration to terri with those new ole boots. She certainly paid them a wonderful tribute with those lovely colors.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6879988

Hi Susan, sounds like you and the girls have been busy, great they won runner up for the horse show.
I haven't made anything with the hat yet! I will be making a few things now that I have lots of flowers in the garden!
I've been gathering some floristry stuff for the girls, will get them posted soon.
Thanks again, have a nice weekend. I'm sure the boys won't miss a pair of boots, they would be great for your porch!
Terri
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #6880013

Oh Hi Candee, you posted while I was typing in my snail slow way LOL! Thanks, glad you like what I did with my new ole boots!
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2009
5:06 AM

Post #6883572

Thank You and I may try and get a design made I may take some of the girls boots that they have out grown and use them too. Well everyone have a good rest of week and weekend. Susan

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America