Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Dahlias: Are Dahlias Really Deer Resistant?

Communities > Forums > Dahlias
bookmark
Forum: DahliasReplies: 14, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
beadmom
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6397497

They were listed on one of the garden sale site as deer resistant...

The deer were emptying my bird feeders this morning...
3 of them...banding together and tipping the bid feeders until the seed came out.

grrrrrrrrrr...

All my dahlia children are safely inside in buckets for now.

Ginger
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6399257

The deer here eat other things first beadmomamie.
beadmom
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6399658

YIPPEEEE!!!!!

Dahlias in front..Dayliies in back!!

I love my new name...

Beadmomamie
Ginger
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6400770

:-)
lovedirtynails
Portland, OR

April 13, 2009
12:15 PM

Post #6402744

Yes, Beadmom, they truly are deer-resistant! We live near a park so we have lots of deer. They assume that my garden is their own private salad bar. They eat just about everything but the rhodies and dahlias. So plant away! You won't be sorry.

anne
willow22552
Bath, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #6405951

Interesting, Must be New York deer have different taste buds. Had a set of triples in my yard and they were pulling the dahlia's out faster than you could shake a stick. We have a veggie garden also about 20 ft from the dahlia's and them ate the dahlia's before they went to the garden. Happened several times, the dahlia's first then wandered over to the garden. Good to know someone is safe.
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2009
4:52 AM

Post #6407229

Our west coast deer are very well-mannered when it comes to leaving the dahlias alone. I've had them nibble raspberry bushes and fruits right next to my dahlias- inches away, along with mowing down perennials about 30 ft away and never lost a leaf of a dahlia. There must be enough else to eat here, that they prefer over dahlias? Different tastes? Whatever it is, we're clearly lucky. Fighting off slugs and earwigs is battle enough out here.
lovedirtynails
Portland, OR

April 14, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6408263

Willow, what a riot! Although I'm sure you don't think it's too funny... I'm certainly not laughing when I go out in my garden and find that the deer have decimated yet more plants. Yes, Poochella, slugs we have aplenty. Have you done anything about them yet this year? I've thought about using copper borders for a more permanent solution. Oops, sorry, wrong topic!
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #6408346

I've only hand-picked a few. Didn't see very many this winter at all. Since it's cold and trying to snow yet again, I think the slugs are still huddling under cover to stay warm.

I'll start putting out the Sluggo when things warm up a tiny bit. Never had much luck with the copper tape-type stuff. It always migrated, or the slugs found a way around it into the garden beds. Might work better on pots.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6408433

I've been keeping an eye on this thread, curious what others experiences have been with deer damage on Dahlias. Checked out some deer resistant plant lists, and here's one compiled by a fellow DGr, that gives links to others:

http://www.gardeningindeercountry.com/

While her study doesn't include Dahlia, I did see them listed on one the the links to other plant lists. They rated plants from rarely, occasionally, frequently, or often severely damaged, and Dahlias rated as occasionally severely damaged.

I think if they're hungry enough, they'll eat anything.
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6408443

The deer love my dahlias. I have the best luck keeping them close to the house. With a herd of 13, there is just about nothing they won't eat.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6408498

OMG, you mean with all your Lilies you have to fight deer! I didn't realize you had such a problem with them.
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6408528

Oh my gosh...do I ever have problems with them. The most effective thing I have used to deter them has been a product called Plantskydd. It lasts through rains and seems to help a lot. You spray it once every 2-3 months, and it stinks pretty bad for a day or so. Without it though, those deer would eat every lily bud, every dahlia, every coneflower and every delphinium. One thing they have never eaten is a peony. My peonies have been spared. As for everything else, yearly, it is up for grabs.

Don't get me wrong, I love wildlife, but I just can't give up all of my gardens for them ;) Putting up an 8 foot fence would not only be very expensive, but might make me feel like I am in a cage. Lol.

Too bad those deer don't like garlic mustard!
beadmom
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6408552

That table is great.

How come I have the same taste in flowers as deer?

Ginger
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #6408685

beadmom...I have often wondered the same thing.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dahlias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dahliettas, gallery dahlias, jackpot dahlias Lenjo 12 Mar 7, 2013 6:27 PM
Dahlias and black walnut hart 17 May 16, 2008 10:37 PM
Will the real Edinburgh please stand up? mvespa 19 Apr 17, 2007 8:44 AM
NO H20 - Candy says "Hi!" Please say Hi back Poochella 11 Oct 12, 2009 12:13 AM
Do ya really really have to dig them? WayehMalamutes 18 Apr 14, 2008 6:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America